• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
honestjohn

2018 Australian Multihull Championships

just asked the collective brains trust on the 2017 nats thread

if this is true - which it appears to be - what a disorganized rabble doing its best to shoot a great bunc of boats in the foot!!

2 nationals in one season! what a joke!

It happened a few years ago too. The time and $ commitment to attend both is under consideration by the minister for war and finance here at the moment,apparently I'm not allowed to have too much fun each year. From my place its about the same distance to each, so I cant use that to split the decision. Its clear the YA are going to continue to push for a Nationals(and a National governing body) vs. our casual arrangement through our non association, which although it has worked for years, gives us no national profile for the YA to address this issue with. I think we are victims of our own apathy.

def agree with last sentence

just pisses me off on many level, not the least being as Jan hols having been arranged for months & just finding out about the regatta makes a non starter as well as the Qld version

grrr

17 hours ago, Chidz said:

def agree with last sentence

just pisses me off on many level, not the least being as Jan hols having been arranged for months & just finding out about the regatta makes a non starter as well as the Qld version

grrr

sounds like you have to many holidays, time to get serious!!  LOL

It was on the Cards for Jan/Feb 18 for a long time in SA. We decided to give it to Vic to coincide with the Aust Yachting Championship.  Championships pre Xmas in Southern states are as problematic as regattas post Xmas up North.  Other alternative is to miss a year which is even worse.

Sth Aus and Vic have travelled far and wide for years.  It's about time those from up North including NSW put on their dancing shoes and returned the favour.

We have wanted a National Body for years as well as the Vic's.  The hand break is Qld and NSW don't even have a State Body.

So who's  holding up the show.  

Pits 5 days to tow a boat from Adelaide to Airlie so a day trip from Sydney to Melb should be no problem or two days from Bris Vegas.

Understand all that but just have a problem with the AS forced (again) series this time going for 3 days and this clanger in the NOR. 

"The Multihull series will consist of up to 4 races.1 race is required to be completed to constitute a series."
Hardly a series to the standard of others run by our individual clubs.

Yes there is Geelong afterwards. Yes we need a national body.
No "hand breaks" (sic) in QLD Pete, our club is bigger than many state bodies so the last thing we need is something more corporate.
If you can guarantee 12 knots and sunny skies I will look for my dancing shoes. 

On 9/3/2017 at 7:49 PM, Chidz said:

if this is true - which it appears to be - what a disorganized rabble doing its best to shoot a great bunc of boats in the foot!!

Yipee, I was getting concerned over the long break between multihull championships.

From http://www.sailing.org.au/2018-australian-yachting-championships-incorporate-national-multihull-regatta/

"The multihull class was included at the Australian Yachting Championships in 2016 for the first time at Hamilton Island, but not contested in 2017."

Dunno WTF was going on in QLD , does anybody?<_<.

Sorry can't make this one. Didn't anyone check that it clashes with the Surf to City and Kingfisher Bay Regatta. 

Also IMHO it is an expensive regatta at a venue with little or no accommodation, not very nice water to sail on and only a 3 day program. If that's an example of good organisation give me MYCQ any day. Did a fantastic job with the recent Nationals. 

Looking forward to Wangi later in the year - Shane........Shane 

2 hours ago, overlay said:

Yipee, I was getting concerned over the long break between multihull championships.

From http://www.sailing.org.au/2018-australian-yachting-championships-incorporate-national-multihull-regatta/

"The multihull class was included at the Australian Yachting Championships in 2016 for the first time at Hamilton Island, but not contested in 2017."

Dunno WTF was going on in QLD , does anybody?<_<.

Long story been here before but the 2016 " Australian Yachting Championships" was forced on us by YA /AS at hammo with no consultation. It was not too bad in the end because boats were going anyway for the annual series at this venue

2017 did not happen because the CYC did not want multihulls. Shows how well thought out this was.

2018 we have a 3 day possibly one race regatta. Joy.

2019/2020 will be Tas/WA where there are no regular racing multihull fleets so if you are out west or on the big island, clean the barnacles off your Calypso 14, you could be a champ!!

Peter H

Peter, the "one race makes a series" is quite common in regattas.  It allows the organising authority to give out the pickle dishes if the majority of the race get blown out or a glass out or whatever. The idea is to get the full program in but still be able to have a winner if you do not.

This sounds like the doing of some Port Phillip Bay Condominium sailors... what a waste of Victoria's opportunity to host a nationals...

Or is this that subtle difference between the "Australian Yachting Championships - Multihull Division" and "Australian Multihull National Titles"

Good of the "MYASA" to have been established to run the national championships... once again the Multihull fraternity lets their own lack of governance be their downfall!

1 hour ago, cabsav said:

This sounds like the doing of some Port Phillip Bay Condominium sailors... what a waste of Victoria's opportunity to host a nationals...

Or is this that subtle difference between the "Australian Yachting Championships - Multihull Division" and "Australian Multihull National Titles"

Good of the "MYASA" to have been established to run the national championships... once again the Multihull fraternity lets their own lack of governance be their downfall!

cabsav for President!

But yes, happy to plead guilty trying to help run 2 clubs including the job in one running the engine room of the OMR. Many interstate mates in same position as me.

1 hour ago, trt131 said:

Peter, the "one race makes a series" is quite common in regattas.  It allows the organising authority to give out the pickle dishes if the majority of the race get blown out or a glass out or whatever. The idea is to get the full program in but still be able to have a winner if you do not.

Yes a good point. Plywoodboy sometimes gets a bit overexcited. 

But the point remains that a four race regatta over three days is hardly likely to excite the fleet to do all the arrangements and travel to participate in the delights of Port Phillip Bay. Give me a fair dinkum regatta with plenty of racing and I have a history of turning up. This proposal is just an insult to multihulls and piss poor organisation. 

Australian Sailing don't seem to add any value to our regatta schedule. So far they have added their name to a regatta a couple of years ago that a whole lot of multis already attend and now we have this measly proposal. Big deal. So much for their organisational prowess. 

We seem to do way better in our unorganised national bodyless state. 

8 hours ago, plywoodboy said:

Long story been here before but the 2016 " Australian Yachting Championships" was forced on us by YA /AS at hammo with no consultation. It was not too bad in the end because boats were going anyway for the annual series at this venue

2017 did not happen because the CYC did not want multihulls. Shows how well thought out this was.

2019/2020 will be Tas/WA where there are no regular racing multihull fleets so if you are out west or on the big island, clean the barnacles off your Calypso 14, you could be a champ!!

Peter H

"Consultation" in the first line, this appears to be the problem AS has no one to consult with, we need to take some positive steps to get  state association/s for whatever states don't have one, or drag one state to an adjacent state  a rep from each could  the form a substitute national body, to get stuff up and running.

8 hours ago, plywoodboy said:

Peter H

The NoR amendment gives multi's a six race series.  Surprised you missed that Pete.   Anyway if Qld leave the Federation it will no longer be an issue you can have your Club/Nationals anytime you like and we'll save a fortune in diesel.

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, WetnWild said:

Yes a good point. Plywoodboy sometimes gets a bit overexcited. 

But the point remains that a four race regatta over three days is hardly likely to excite the fleet to do all the arrangements and travel to participate in the delights of Port Phillip Bay. Give me a fair dinkum regatta with plenty of racing and I have a history of turning up. This proposal is just an insult to multihulls and piss poor organisation. 

Australian Sailing don't seem to add any value to our regatta schedule. So far they have added their name to a regatta a couple of years ago that a whole lot of multis already attend and now we have this measly proposal. Big deal. So much for their organisational prowess. 

We seem to do way better in our unorganised national bodyless state. 

Suggest you read the NoR and amendments before you pick up someone else's ill informed post.  Port Phillip is not that bad a venue unless of course you don't know how to sail in a short steep chop.  It's certainly not as bad as Pittwatervwhich must be the worst racing water in the country.  Short time frames help time poor owners get to distant regattas.  

• Downvote 1

Hey don't bag Pittwater, OK the wind can be a lottery, but at least it doesn't have tidal races between sandbars like Hervey Bay near Urangan and I don't think anybody has ever run aground or hit sand or submerged rocks in Pittwater,  unlike in Hervey Bay, Geelong ( even Port Phillip) .   Now Wangi, Port Lincoln, Moreton Bay and you're talking, and 2 of them are even warm!

22 minutes ago, offtherails said:

and I don't think anybody has ever run aground or hit sand or submerged rocks in Pittwater,  

I have a few friends that might disagree with you there, not necessarily multihullers ;) :lol:

12 hours ago, Goldfinger01 said:

Suggest you read the NoR and amendments before you pick up someone else's ill informed post.  Port Phillip is not that bad a venue unless of course you don't know how to sail in a short steep chop.  It's certainly not as bad as Pittwatervwhich must be the worst racing water in the country.  Short time frames help time poor owners get to distant regattas.  

Thanks for your suggestion. I based my comments on my own reading of the NOR when it was published and I was planning my regatta schedule. I'm pleased they have changed it now but too little too late for me. Kind of reinforces my point about the clusterfuck that is AS. 

I sail plenty on Port Phillip Bay. Two regattas there this year and probably 50 previously. The chop isn't too bad. No different from most bays. The problem is unreliable breeze. You can get drifters for days or get blasted off the water for days or a combination of the two. OK for the locals who are stuck with it but it has to be an attractive regatta for me to make the drive. Just loading the truck now for a trip to Jervis Bay and a well organised and run regatta.

Agree with your summation of Pittwater. Sailed there once.

Now that we're talking about venues how about Darwin. Sailed quite a few regattas there and it is magnificent. Winter, 32 degrees, great harbour, very nice club, friendly locals, no rain, and only a few more crocs than Hervey Bay. I'd spend some diesel on that - it's about the same as Melbourne for me. Get AS on to organising that one. 

7 hours ago, offtherails said:

Hey don't bag Pittwater, OK the wind can be a lottery, but at least it doesn't have tidal races between sandbars like Hervey Bay near Urangan and I don't think anybody has ever run aground or hit sand or submerged rocks in Pittwater,  unlike in Hervey Bay, Geelong ( even Port Phillip) .   Now Wangi, Port Lincoln, Moreton Bay and you're talking, and 2 of them are even warm!

Why stay inside Pittwater, one of the best sailing areas in Aus is off Palm Beach.  Open water, steady winds and not a huge influence with currents.  There seems to be an issue with having regattas in anything but a Cat 7 venue, strange for OMR (Offshore Multihull Rule)

20 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Why stay inside Pittwater, one of the best sailing areas in Aus is off Palm Beach.  Open water, steady winds and not a huge influence with currents.  There seems to be an issue with having regattas in anything but a Cat 7 venue, strange for OMR (Offshore Multihull Rule)

Ahm usually Cat 5. 

I think as long as you stay within 2 miles it's still Cat 7. At least that's how the RPA operates it's Broken Bay Series.

15 hours ago, offtherails said:

I remember running aground on the starboard end of the start line off RMYC.  It's a shit of a place to sail and living there you'd know better than anyone.  

Get your arse down here and test your skills in a mans world.  

Sorry for the sexist connotations.  Well not really.

• Downvote 1

The AYC is a great opportunity to show case the best of multihull sailing to the wider sailing community.  That's the best reason ever to support the Aus Multi Championship at Sandringham.  The other option is to keep your heads stuck up your collective arses  and pretend that OMR multis can survive in the longer term outside mainstream sailing.  Same goes for formal big a National Association.  Anyone in Qld listening.

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Goldfinger01 said:

The AYC is a great opportunity to show case the best of multihull sailing to the wider sailing community.  That's the best reason ever to support the Aus Multi Championship at Sandringham.  The other option is to keep your heads stuck up your collective arses  and pretend that OMR multis can survive in the longer term outside mainstream sailing.  Same goes for formal big a National Association.  Anyone in Qld listening.

What point are you trying to make here? Are you suggesting it's a Qld responsibility to form an association for the whole country. 

Qld already has MYCQ and I understand there is some form of body in VIC and SA. It's probably not realistic to ever expect WA NT and TAS to regularly partipate in the national regatta circuit due to logistics and numbers. It was earlier suggested by HJ I think that a form of national co-ordination could be achieved between the three existing State bodies. I don't know how the politics of that would work out but it's worth exploring. 

The elephant in the room is NSW where there doesn't seem to be any organisation. 

Any thoughts?

6 hours ago, Goldfinger01 said:

I remember running aground on the starboard end of the start line off RMYC.  It's a shit of a place to sail and living there you'd know better than anyone.  

Get your arse down here and test your skills in a mans world.  

Sorry for the sexist connotations.  Well not really.

Navigation marker pole

We have these funny things in Pittwater, pass them on the land side at your peril.

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:22 AM, WetnWild said:

What point are you trying to make here? Are you suggesting it's a Qld responsibility to form an association for the whole country. 

Qld already has MYCQ and I understand there is some form of body in VIC and SA. It's probably not realistic to ever expect WA NT and TAS to regularly partipate in the national regatta circuit due to logistics and numbers. It was earlier suggested by HJ I think that a form of national co-ordination could be achieved between the three existing State bodies. I don't know how the politics of that would work out but it's worth exploring. 

The elephant in the room is NSW where there doesn't seem to be any organisation. 

Any thoughts?

Not relevant whether there is a formal NSW organisation or not. Last I heard a small team in Sth Aust was attempting to put together a draft constitution for a national association.  This was about this time last year and I/we (RMYC) made a number of contributions towards that end. If you have ever looked at what is actually involved in putting together such a document (scope, governance, membership, representation, management, voting rights etc. etc.) it will begin to dawn on you what is actually needed and the range of expertise required to produce something relevant and widely acceptable. Politics aside - which of course always has the scope to bring the best ideas undone or unworkable.

Goldfinger may have an update on where this got up to?

14 minutes ago, Zorro2 said:

Not relevant whether there is a formal NSW organisation or not. Last I heard a small team in Sth Aust was attempting to put together a draft constitution for a national association.  This was about this time last year and I/we (RMYC) made a number of contributions towards that end. If you have ever looked at what is actually involved in putting together such a document (scope, governance, membership, representation, management, voting rights etc. etc.) it will begin to dawn on you what is actually needed and the range of expertise required to produce something relevant and widely acceptable. Politics aside - which of course always has the scope to bring the best ideas undone or unworkable.

Goldfinger may have an update on where this got up to?

Very well aware indeed of the scope and complexity of such an exercise being currently involved in forming a body to run two World Titles. 

I think such an exercise is beyond the commitment/resources/will of the AUS non OTB multihull community. This has been demonstrated by the all talk and no action over the last umteen years. 

Hence my thought in endorsing the suggestion by HJ that maybe a first step would be even an informal collaboration between the existing State bodies to get some order on to the regatta schedule would be helpful. That was the relevance of the comment regarding the lack of such a body in NSW. That doesn't need to be a roadblock though. Involvement of any vaguely representative group in NSW would suffice. 

If we are waiting for a full on national body to be organised we'll all be in Nursing Homes by the time that happens. 

5 minutes ago, WetnWild said:

Very well aware indeed of the scope and complexity of such an exercise being currently involved in forming a body to run two World Titles. 

I think such an exercise is beyond the commitment/resources/will of the AUS non OTB multihull community. This has been demonstrated by the all talk and no action over the last umteen years. 

Hence my thought in endorsing the suggestion by HJ that maybe a first step would be even an informal collaboration between the existing State bodies to get some order on to the regatta schedule would be helpful. That was the relevance of the comment regarding the lack of such a body in NSW. That doesn't need to be a roadblock though. Involvement of any vaguely representative group in NSW would suffice. 

If we are waiting for a full on national body to be organised we'll all be in Nursing Homes by the time that happens. 

Fair enough. I was just commenting that I am aware some work of a more focussed nature had been started in SA last year. Shame not to pick up on that if any activity is still current. I'm all for co-ordination as well but just like the wheel spinning that's been going on forever over a national association, unless someone puts up their hand to "co-ordinate", nothing will happen in our lifetime about that either.  

On 24 October 2017 at 11:52 PM, WetnWild said:

Any thoughts?

Qld are a hand brake in terms of forming a National Association.  Large, wealthy and self centered it seems. 

• Downvote 1

On 25 October 2017 at 5:39 AM, offtherails said:

Navigation marker pole

We have these funny things in Pittwater, pass them on the land side at your peril.

1 minute ago, Goldfinger01 said:

Qld are a hand brake in terms of forming a National Association.  Large, wealthy and self centered it seems. 

We don't need them GR.  We have plenty of water.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Goldfinger01 said:

That's a bullshit response. Some sort of cryptic in joke is it? You will need to explain the problem from your perspective and name names if you want to make a positive contribution. 

If not STFU. 

Stop the poor little old me bickering. We have had nationals every year without a national governing  body 

This is about someone trying to take control of our nationals where we have had no trouble putting on  our own national's for years and it is a vote each year on the clubs that present them selves .If you want the nationals in your area  get your club to agree and put it forward to the vote each year  .We don't need some power that is not supportive of the OMR rule (as we saw at Hamilton Island )to tell us where the nationals are and with out any correspondence or understanding off our wants and needs   

• Like 1

Good summary and I agree we have been able to get a good regatta each year despite the feeble efforts of the takeover merchants. 

So I missed the meeting at RQ. Where was it decided to run the Nationals in 2018? Is Wangi on again as is the normal rotation?

I Think that interstate abuse here is unproductive, if you Mexicans and banana benders cant get along................., just kidding. if we are going to get this thing to fly we need to be pulling in approximately the same direction.So whats the answer for NSW in the short term, would the MYCQ annex us. to be our coduit,in the absence of our own body, or do we keep hammering away to try to make it happen? We ultimately are not talking about huge numbers. NSW People, got any opinions? Qld? Comments, hopefully usefull! To some degree I think actually turning out in numbers at Sandringham AYC, put on a spectacular, professional show, to stick it right up the noses of those bulkcarrier skippers,is the right thing to do.

On 26 October 2017 at 7:36 PM, WetnWild said:

That's a bullshit response. Some sort of cryptic in joke is it? You will need to explain the problem from your perspective and name names if you want to make a positive contribution. 

If not STFU. 

I stand by my statement and suggest you do your home work before you start being so precious.  It's far more likely you're part of the problem than part of the solution.

• Downvote 2

51 minutes ago, Goldfinger01 said:

I stand by my statement and suggest you do your home work before you start being so precious.  It's far more likely you're part of the problem than part of the solution.

Thank you for the character assessment. Rather gratuitous given you have no idea how I spend my time or the things I'm involved in. 

Yiur statement deals in vague assertions. Feel free to stand by that. 

Here are some facts. 

1. National titles have been successfully run for a lot of years. 

2. The one just held had the highest number of entrants for some years. 

3. A national association has been talked about for many years but nothing has emerged. 

4. A suggestion was made by HJ to get representation from the existing representative bodies to move things forward. 

5. I supported that notion but wondered whether given the above it was even necessary or achievable. 

The dog ate my homework so you'll need to be more specific. 

Will the official OMR scales be used to weigh all boats at this regatta , and will the the traditional NationalTitle trophies be awarded , or will it be a case of near enough is good enough ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Goldfinger01 said:

Ask anyone Goldfinger you have always been the problem .The existing system works but you have and always will disagree , its what you do. Its always about you and you are always  the  first and loudest complaint .These disagreements are  not for the good of all.Your attitude is for the good of  you .

• Like 1

^^^ this.

Goldfinger, you can't even be bothered to answer emails about joining your useless MYCV so why would anyone want to support you in any endeavour.

Before your takeover MYCV had a decent useful webpage now the most recent post is more than a year old.

Did you go to the most recent Nationals or were you too busy organising the palace coup with your YA mates?

On 10/28/2017 at 12:07 PM, cynophobe said:

Will the official OMR scales be used to weigh all boats at this regatta , and will the the traditional NationalTitle trophies be awarded , or will it be a case of near enough is good enough ?

Good questions Chip, but my latest interepretation is: 

Yes, the intention is that the scales go everywhere to restore world peace. 

No, the next 3 AS things can get AS bling. Nothing to do with near enough being good enough.

Peter

4 hours ago, plywoodboy said:

Good questions Chip, but my latest interepretation is: 

Yes, the intention is that the scales go everywhere to restore world peace. 

No, the next 3 AS things can get AS bling. Nothing to do with near enough being good enough.

Peter

Curious arrangement for a Multihull "Nationals" 6 races over 3 days. I'm not going but the 6 entrants so far must be happy?

https://www.topyacht.com.au/db/aus/entrants_display.php?SeriesID=5042&Task=ShowSeriesEntrants&EventID=786

Goldfinger said:"The AYC is a great opportunity to show-case the best of multihull sailing to the wider sailing community.  That's the best reason ever to support the Aus Multi Championship at Sandringham. :

this is not exactly inflammatory, one might think.

In the absence of any formal/national associations or copyright or whatever, AS are probably perfectly within their rights to run a championship and call it Australian. 

Multi enthusiasts like owners of Bare Essentials, Crosshair, Carbon Credit, Dux Nutts, Mad Max (now Ullman Sails) haul their boats all around the country , even to Airlie, Hammo, even to Geelong and Port Lincoln  etc, and yeah, they are seriously long trips up & down  the blacktop.  But some from up Brisvegas/Airlie way seem to think it is beneath their dignity to go to Victoria? 

Give me a break.   

Went out last weekend for the first  sail in a few months,  and the once mighty Etchell fleet was down to single digits, the Pittwater multis mustered 4 boats on a crackerjack sailing day. We sailors in little boats don't have a really compelling product in the market, so IMHO we ought to do what we can to get exposure with events like the Sandringham series, or just not worry about it and enjoy the sailing and organise local regattas etc.

5 hours ago, Zorro2 said:

Curious arrangement for a Multihull "Nationals" 6 races over 3 days. I'm not going but the 6 entrants so far must be happy?

https://www.topyacht.com.au/db/aus/entrants_display.php?SeriesID=5042&Task=ShowSeriesEntrants&EventID=786

Have a good regatta .Call it what you want but the national it will never be .Maybe the southern  states nationals .We will see if they run it as an OMR legal regatta or they make up there own rules again as they did at Hamilton Island . If they don't stick to the rating rule it will become a bigger joke then PHS .

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:07 PM, DtM said:

^^^ this.

Goldfinger, you can't even be bothered to answer emails about joining your useless MYCV so why would anyone want to support you in any endeavour.

Before your takeover MYCV had a decent useful webpage now the most recent post is more than a year old.

Did you go to the most recent Nationals or were you too busy organising the palace coup with your YA mates?

DTM are you serious....

Yep.

Two emails seeking information about (re)joining MYCV.  Not a squeak from Goldy.  Check out the website.

Slags off Pittwater because he can't obey universal navigation markers.

Slags off Queensland generally.

Bound to get a National body organised with that as his starting point  (note sarcasm font).

• Downvote 1

Wow

this is a great way of pulling together to promote multihull sailing in Oz.

Even if it is all true ...

we have no hope of working together if this keeps up.

On ‎3‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:49 PM, Chidz said:

Hey Chidz,  changed your mind in the last 6 weeks have you?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DtM said:

Yep.

Two emails seeking information about (re)joining MYCV.  Not a squeak from Goldy.  Check out the website.

Slags off Pittwater because he can't obey universal navigation markers.

Slags off Queensland generally.

Bound to get a National body organised with that as his starting point  (note sarcasm font).

Shame about the MYCV... however I am not sure your facts are all straight.  GF is a Crow Eater.

Then I unreservedly recant my slagging him for MYCV only  (especially since I have to go to Adelaide for work next week!!)

• Like 1

changed mind?

not even close

trying to motivate (that didn't work)

trying to stimulate - jury is out

if peeps can't see that the collective 'we' are shooting ourselves in the foot with a 12 guage, then I give up

• Like 1

You are right but what has changed recently to make "unity" any more likely than the failures of the past.

And if those that are proposing unity have as a starting position slagging off a vast proportion of the participants (Qld and Pittwater) then there is no hope.

For mine, there is little to be gained by unity under the AS banner and maybe much to be lost by handing over control to those who have little to no interest in multis.

Why is the AS "Nationals" and better than the current position?  No need for you to answer that since I understand your position but others may like to tell us.

And be careful of listening to offtherails whose -1 rating makes him an arsehat !!!!

5 hours ago, offtherails said:

COMMUNITY REPUTATION
Asshat
ABOUT off the rails

and,
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/asshat
English. Etymology. From the slang expression have one's head up one's ass, thus, wearing the ass as a hat. The term is extended to people who are clueless or ...

Hey off, if the hat first wear it !!

OK, was always a risk that taking a position  arguing about stuff, and that naming names as stirrers , would backfire.

So, my declaring the forum's  opinion of another  member means I get a bad community rating,? well that's the biz. 

I've tried to sail multis for 10 years or so, sailed in nats a few times and a couple of overseas regattas, and can only say I have the highest esteem for guys like Grainger, Farrier and Tony Considine, Peter Hackett , Peter Boyd and many others, like my old mate Dave M, formerly of MYCQ; but it is all a bit too hard.

Good sailing guys and hope it all works out

• Like 1

There you go,  I gave you a like and so you should be back to zero !!!

On 10/25/2017 at 12:22 AM, WetnWild said:

Any thoughts?

NSW had an Association from the 1950s up to early 1990s. I was on executive member for several years. It folded due to lack of interest.

However surely in this day and age states are irrelevant. Can sailors in Cains be effectively represented by a Brisbane based association? Surely a national association with no geographical base would do just as well. Or do we need a FNQMA as well as a SEQMA.

I'm living in NSW, as do sailors from Tweed and I like them am happy to be a MYCQ member.

I don't consider myself a New South Welshman, rather an Australian, having lived in several states.

If we are to have a National Association why does it need to be a federation? Can't we all just be Australian Members and talk directly to the executive?

Individuals who happen to live in Tasmania, WA, NT, ACT do not need a state association. They need a national association.

But that's probably not relevant anyway as there is just not the interest. I tried a couple of years back and had a pathetic (apathetic?) response. Seems most were content to let things continue as they were.

And it works in a fashion. We have a Nationals and at the end those who came and then came to the preso and bothered to stay behind afterwards, decide on the venues and approx' dates of the next few events.

But now we have this AS debacle running in parallel sometimes and I thought this Sandringham thing was going to work but apparently not.

So where are we at? Who's going to Sandringham?

I need to make a decision this week?

I'm not keen to do the necessary work on the trailer and then do the tow to melbourne again if there is not a fleet to race with.

As for Wangi, if it is here it will be in November - no other month.

Shane has had enough and won't run it. Neither will I though I will help out with it if someone else takes it on.

I have agreed to participate in a meeting.

On 10/24/2017 at 12:25 AM, Goldfinger01 said:

OK I found the NoR but not amendments. Any link?

4 hours ago, paulnudd said:

So where are we at? Who's going to Sandringham?

I need to make a decision this week?

I'm not keen to do the necessary work on the trailer and then do the tow to melbourne again if there is not a fleet to race with.

As for Wangi, if it is here it will be in November - no other month.

Shane has had enough and won't run it. Neither will I though I will help out with it if someone else takes it on.

I have agreed to participate in a meeting.

Not going to Sandringham at this stage, I've agreed to participate in the same meeting.

On 10/30/2017 at 8:51 PM, shane beyer said:

Have a good regatta .Call it what you want but the national it will never be .Maybe the southern  states nationals .We will see if they run it as an OMR legal regatta or they make up there own rules again as they did at Hamilton Island . If they don't stick to the rating rule it will become a bigger joke then PHS .

10 entries so far:

BOAT NAME SAIL NO SKIPPER DESIGN STATE
BARE ESSENTIALS V3 Tim Pepperell Grainger VIC
CARBON CREDIT SA532 Peter Hawker F32srcx SA
CROSSHAIR SA432 Gerald Valk Farrier F32 Srcx SA
DUX NUTTS 449 P Boyd I Macdougall Grainger 8.0 SA
KAVALA G388 Dave Ruffin Schionning Waterline 1320 VIC
PECCADILLO V48 Charles Meredith Chris White 46 Mk Ii VIC
RAINBOW 2 HA320 Leon Alexander Dash 750 VIC
THE EXPERIMENT V70 Michael Du Vallon Tilt 7 Custom Tri VIC
TYEE III SM777 John Williams Catana 431 VIC
WILPARINA III GR297 Robert Remilton Diam 24 SA
  • Downvote 1

All from VIC and SA

Depending where they draw the line it looks like 5 for div 1.

I don't care about handicaps or ratings, for me it is the racing on the water that counts.

With Two Tribes I can expect good on the water racing with

possibly

THE EXPERIMENT which is unknown to me plus:

WILPARINA III

BARE ESSENTIALS,

CARBON CREDIT

CROSSHAIR

DUX NUTTS

I think that makes it worthwhile for me to do the required mod's to the trailer and endure the trip to Melbourne.

I don't care what it is called, it should be a good regatta. Even better if we could get some more from NSW and QLD.

• Downvote 1

Australian Sailing is recognised by the International Sailing Federation as the governing body for the sport of sailing in Australia.

From Australian Sailing:

"The Australian Yachting Championships will also incorporate the 2018 Australian Multihull National Championships."

Many years ago Multihull sailing was not governed by what was then called the "Australian Yachting Federation" (AYF) which later became "Yachting Australia" and recently "Australian Sailing".

In the early days the AYF was 'anti-multihull' and multihull sailors had to form their own clubs, establish their own rules and organise their own races.

This was the case when I joined the ranks of 'Multihull Sailors'.

• Downvote 1

Then some time in the early 1990s someone suggested that multihull sailors should "join the mainstream". Meaning we should submit to control by the AYF. I was a QMYC member at the time and got to vote on the proposal. I voted NO but there were too many in favour so we 'affiliated' and submitted to their control.

Now we sail by their rules, whether they suit multihulls or not.

And now if Australian Sailing says this is the multihull nationals it is the Multihull Nationals.

I guess it is too late now, after all these years, to form a breakaway group outside of Australian Sailing but if someone wants to do that they can count me in.

It has happened with motorsport. Used to be that CAMS was it. CAMS logo proclaims "we are motorsport". Yet we have AMSAG and AASA both running successfully outside of CAMS control. Competitors are free to participate in any or all. CAMS tried to stop it - unsuccessfully.

So is it time for 'Multihull Sailing Australia' - outside of Australian Sailing? And a member driven Multihull Sailing Australia Nationals?

• Downvote 1

On 01/11/2017 at 11:55 AM, cabsav said:

Shame about the MYCV... however I am not sure your facts are all straight.  GF is a Crow Eater.

Don’t know who you are Cabsav, but I like what you say.