• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Dex Sawash

CF mast refinish

18 posts in this topic

Was given a dinghy with a sleeved sail unarig carbon stick. The finish is all gone and handling the spar gives me the itch. Before I paint the spar, is there any point to brushing/squeegeeing  a sealer coat of epoxy on the mast? Neat epoxy or slighty thickened? Not looking for show grade paint, just want to protect mast from UV and me from CF hairs.

Is that Krylon plastic paint suited to this?

Straight or thinned epoxy will do well to seal the fibers if they're already sticking out, and will give the paint/clearcoat something better to stick to.

I've had good experiences with Rustoleum's UV stable clear-coat, doesn't yellow, and holds up well if a few layers are put on.

HW

SprayMax 2k Clear.   Two part paint in a activated spray can.  $25

Thanks,

Was thinking I would just paint it white so damaged finish spots would show up better. Is there a reason other than style that CF is usually cleared?

Flow coat si a good idea. Can just put on 545 if you anticipate cracks or further lams. White paint is best, clearcoat is for carbon hardons.

Might be easiest to go with one of those poly wraps. I'd go with the fake carbon weave pattern.  :ph34r:

On 9/3/2017 at 3:30 PM, Dex Sawash said:

Was given a dinghy with a sleeved sail unarig carbon stick. The finish is all gone and handling the spar gives me the itch.

For reasons that aren't entirely clear to me, I'm recalling a training film the Army showed us In Basic.  

Me? I would sand the spar and maybe one coat of epoxy...maybe spray with clear-coat, as implied, and paint it...the sleeve will continue wear, until it parts. Nothing is perfect, so simple might be best, but that is me...

BTW, last season I clear coated (Krylon) T6 6061 and it seems just fine, save where metal-to-metal wear etc has taken place. No AL smudges of consequence, so assume the coating works as it does on autos...

On 9/4/2017 at 8:32 AM, solosailor said:

SprayMax 2k Clear.   Two part paint in a activated spray can.  $25

With or without the epoxy sealer? I just need to knock the fuzz off my spin pole first. 

Maybe pick a (small) area and experiment? I used two bottom-cracked carbon windsurfing spars to form the top 16" mast section and most of a 16' boom...I sleeved both with carbon and then glass (PIA job), then painted and spayed metal sections with clear coat...so far cannot complain, but I am far from picky when it comes to "finish" and look on the process as "experimantal." But, as some say, "whatever works!" But sailing beats slaving! Just ask...spent most of this season, again, fixing.

I'd just roll and tip with awlgrip primer and topcoat with a solid color, not clear. Clear won't do as good of job for UV protection and will fail/flake off after a few years.

Who knows? I look for "easy," preferring sailing to slaving, and if the clear-coat stuff works on cars, why not. Very easy and if does not work, what's the loss?

1 hour ago, BobBill said:

Who knows? I look for "easy," preferring sailing to slaving, and if the clear-coat stuff works on cars, why not. Very easy and if does not work, what's the loss?

Loss? A lot more "slaving" to remove the flaking failed clear only to have to repaint again.  

On 04/09/2017 at 5:55 PM, Dex Sawash said:

Thanks,

Was thinking I would just paint it white so damaged finish spots would show up better. Is there a reason other than style that CF is usually cleared?

No reason at all, it's just a fashion statement. 

Just paint it white with a good 2 pack paint (awlgrip) and forget about it 

On 05/09/2017 at 3:23 AM, Bruno said:

Flow coat si a good idea. Can just put on 545 if you anticipate cracks or further lams. White paint is best, clearcoat is for carbon hardons.

WTF,

flowcoat is polyester and doesn't bond very well to epoxy, and what does the 545 do for this? And when are you supposed to apply it? 

free dinghy?

yeah, Krylon. Go sailing.

Or spinnaker repair tape....  It's under a sail when sailing, right?

Mad,

Surfbd shapers and glassers refer to a hot coat, didn't use that term because to some it would imply poly.

At M Lindsay they used to say flowcoat, referring to epoxy, usually on rudders.

Some say clearcoat to differentiate between a slurry coat, usually of epoxy.

But really you can call it whatever you want, be my guest.

545, in my experience, can hold a lamination pretty well though not as well as an epoxy coat, and as it degrades in uv, chalking, it will provide a barrier for some time, again, IME. But, again, you can, of course, do as you please.

Just to be "clear," I painted over carbon etc to block UV and clear coated metal spar sections only.