• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Cheapest way is to buy a window unit and fit it to the companionway wash board.

Or make a box that fits over the fore hatch and fit the unit in one side. 

Oh yes TITS PLEASE

3 hours ago, TQA said:

Oh yes TITS PLEASE

+1 on the use of the weather boards, if your boast has two boards use the lower one as a template cut a dupe out of plywood then cut out a section to hold the window unit you bought. A small window unit will cool the boat quite well. Only drawback I have encountered is if your weather boards are canted a little forward as mine were the condensation may drain into the cabin instead of the cockpit. 

6 hours ago, TQA said:

Oh yes TITS PLEASE

Similar idea is a small RV unit. Mount it to a plywood square and set it over the bow hatch when you want to use it. 

Get an actual marine air conditioner.  

Reasonably simple install and you can probably get away with 7k BTU for a 27' boat which is not all that expensive.  It will work better, last way longer, you wont have to move stuff every time you want to go sailing and it wont look like crap.  You're probably all in for 2k and maybe 3-5 hours of work.

At that size unit, dont need to run a bunch of ducting, 1 or 2 exits should be totally fine.  O'day 27 has a lot of storage space, you wont have trouble finding somewhere to put the unit and the outflow duct(s).

Will keep the boat cool and dry with no hassle. 

Do you plan on using it underway? If so what generator do you have?

Or just at the dock on shorepower?.

The seawater pump is about 350 bucks, add grills, you need at least 2, breaker, wire, condensate drain, 2 thru-hulls, and strainer, a 6k btu self-contained lists for about 2k, plus display and display cable.

A full day at least to install.

per Coolerking and EquusAD you can have a nice marine unit for ~$2K...last longer and look better.

Or for between $115 (5k btu) and $230 (8k btu) you could get Amazon to deliver you a window unit (and replace it every other year if needed and still put change in your pocket)

51SC4myWdbL._AC_US240_QL65_.jpg

3 hours ago, Monkey said:

Similar idea is a small RV unit. Mount it to a plywood square and set it over the bow hatch when you want to use it. 

Camping World RV AC units 600 - 950 $

Walmart window units start at 100 $

52 minutes ago, TQA said:

Camping World RV AC units 600 - 950 $

Walmart window units start at 100 $

Not having to climb over a fucking air conditioner to get in to your boat....  priceless. 

2 hours ago, KC375 said:

per Coolerking and EquusAD you can have a nice marine unit for ~$2K...last longer and look better.

Or for between $115 (5k btu) and $230 (8k btu) you could get Amazon to deliver you a window unit (and replace it every other year if needed and still put change in your pocket)

51SC4myWdbL._AC_US240_QL65_.jpg

and that one is 15 in. x 16 in. x 12 in.   not big or bulky

1 hour ago, donderbalkie said:

Thanks for all the responses.  To answer some questions, I would like to be able to use the AC underway and not just when docked.

Youre going to need a bigger boat.

9 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:
10 hours ago, donderbalkie said:

Thanks for all the responses.  To answer some questions, I would like to be able to use the AC underway and not just when docked.

Youre going to need a bigger boat.

Well, he's going to need a boat big enough to carry a generator. The Oday 27 -could- do so, but it's likely to be a burden and an expense that make everything else about the boat much less fun. The noise plus the incongruity of burning hydrocarbon fuels to provide cool air might cause a disturbance in the Force.

FB- Doug

10 hours ago, donderbalkie said:

For a smaller AC unit (new model), you should be able to run it off a small 'carry on' generator.  Check out WEN 2kw generator.  Theyre really inexpensive, quiet and so far very solid/maintenance free.  Just bring it onboard when you want to run AC and plug it into the 110 socket on your boat and you're all set.

If you want to go the route of installing a fixed generator, you can do it, but it may be more work than it's worth TBH.  Just my opinion

This is assuming you are using a real marine air conditioner.  I dont know about the window units, but I'm guessing the starting Amps may be too high for a 2kw gen.  Just look at the electrical specs on the AC and match it to a small air cooled generator.  Works great

13 minutes ago, EquusAsinusDomesticus said:

For a smaller AC unit (new model), you should be able to run it off a small 'carry on' generator.  Check out WEN 2kw generator.  Theyre really inexpensive, quiet and so far very solid/maintenance free.  Just bring it onboard when you want to run AC and plug it into the 110 socket on your boat and you're all set.

If you want to go the route of installing a fixed generator, you can do it, but it may be more work than it's worth TBH.  Just my opinion

This is assuming you are using a real marine air conditioner.  I dont know about the window units, but I'm guessing the starting Amps may be too high for a 2kw gen.  Just look at the electrical specs on the AC and match it to a small air cooled generator.  Works great

Good tip, I that WEN generator. I bet they sell a BUNCH of these with two hurricanes coming at the US southeast.......

Also as HorseAD says if you are trying to run an air conditioner, or any high-power appliance, from a small-ish generator, you need to match the STARTING amps to the generator capacity.

FB- Doug

You have a smallish cruiser.  What the hell do you need AC for while your sailing?  Who is in the cabin while your sailing? If you need AC while underway, get a trawler, not a sailboat!

A lot of good feedback.  I appreciate it.  Yes, Crash, you're absolutely right.  When I'm out sailing I will not need it.  With the front and back hatches open there will be a sweet breeze flowing through the cabin.  My pup will be in the cabin since she gets too hot out on deck and is super clumsy and has fallen in the water many times.  What I meant by underway is more using the motor for stretches on the icw, as well as dropping anchor, so no shore power options (when it's just not available).

On 9/6/2017 at 0:04 AM, Dex Sawash said:

Youre going to need a bigger power boat.

fixed it for ya

8 minutes ago, dent said:

A/C?  who the fuck needs a/c  HTFU.  you're on a sailboat

It's not so much for him, but for his dog.

Donder, as you've seen by now, AC underway will be a pretty high bar to get over but you can get a powerful 12V fan and a water mister. This will do a lot for the dog's comfort & safety. But an AC at the dock is a must IMHO, ask all these internet tough guys if they have AC in their car.

FB- Doug

25 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's not so much for him, but for his dog.

Donder, as you've seen by now, AC underway will be a pretty high bar to get over but you can get a powerful 12V fan and a water mister. This will do a lot for the dog's comfort & safety. But an AC at the dock is a must IMHO, ask all these internet tough guys if they have AC in their car.

FB- Doug

I used to turn the A/C off in the car on my way to Oriental to "temper" myself. It didn't work so I just quit going in August.

Drove an MGB as my daily driver for 11 years in Virginia Beach, Rota Spain, and Montgomery Alabama...so at least in my case Steam, I pass the car test:P

Well shucks, I owned about 7 or 9 cars in my life before I finally go one with air conditioning, in my late 30s. And I grew up in the South before air conditioning was common.... it was only in the movie theater in the town I grew up in. I remember my family's first air conditioner with as much intensity as our first TV set. 

So I don't feel I have to prove anything, although will be glad to tip my hat to you all.

FB- Doug

Harbor freight knock off version of Honda EU2000 ($499) plus smallest (5000 btu) window unit ($130ish). You'll freeze yer cans off for under $800.   bucks.  Neither is necessary unless you are in the tropics.