Sign in to follow this  
frenchie

Myanmar

12 minutes ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

Read the news report YOU posted a few minutes ago.

Now you can apologise.

myanmar.JPG

"My problem with the NLD is that they weren't able to translate massive public support into some kind of political change," said Aung Naing Oo, a political scientist who was a leader of Burma's 1988 student rebellion and now lives in exile in Thailand.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/12/AR2010111200933.html

link me the article you are quoting please , I am well aware that she was not in exile .

then provide the link .

thank-you , I never ever saw that there , it is untrue .

however I will apologizes for the lie call .

truth is she was in the country at the time and that is the reality .

2 minutes ago, Mid said:

thank-you , I never ever saw that there , it is untrue .

however I will apologizes for the lie call .

truth is she was in the country at the time and that is the reality .

YOU POSTED IT!

Mid myanmar.JPG

Privations in the early days of detention included malnutrition so severe that her hair began to fall out. The authorities reminded her that she was free to leave Myanmar, while restricting visas for her family, calculating that the pain of separation would force her into an impotent exile. She agreed with their political analysis and chose to put family second, even as Aris battled cancer alone in 1999, and then her sons struggled after his death. Notable for her self-control, one of the few occasions Aung San Suu Kyi is reported to have broken down was when a rare call with her dying husband was cut off.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/10/aung-san-suu-kyi-myanmar-rohingya-human-rights

believe what you may she was never in exile and she is unworthy .

I've explained that , you are the one with the closed mind and an extremely limited knowledge of the topic .

my statement stands , she is complicit in her silence to genocide and unworthy .

Aung San Suu Kyi: damned by her silence

Perhaps no one in the modern world has been so admired as a moral icon, then fallen so far in global estimation, as Aung San Suu Kyi. The Burmese democracy champion turned politician made her name as an implacable fighter for human rights. She sacrificed her family life, her freedom and, for stretches, her health, in a battle for the soul of her country and the future of her people. Then, after emerging triumphant and untarnished from more than two decades of struggle, she has stood by as hundreds of thousands of her fellow Burmese are persecuted, massacred and driven from their homes because of their religion.

Aung San Suu Kyi has broken her silence on spiralling abuses against the Rohingya Muslim minority, described as “ethnic cleansing” by UN officials, only to defend the government that she is part of, sparking fierce criticism from former friends, allies and supporters.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/10/aung-san-suu-kyi-myanmar-rohingya-human-rights

Myanmar exiles pen open letter to Daw Aung San Suu Kyi

By
On Friday, 15 September 2017

State-Counselor-Aung-San-Suu-Kyi-EPA.jpg

Myanmar's State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi. Photo: Hein Htet/EPA

A number of Myanmar exiles have signed an open letter to Aung San Suu Kyi asking her to re-evaluate her position as ‘Burmese society is sleep-walking into the abyss of racial hatred and religious bigotry’ The following is the letter in full.

“As your fellow countrymen, with deep roots in our troubled birthplace, we are writing to you to share our sadness and concern about your personal legacy as the nation’s leader, the plight of our people, and the future of Myanmar as a nation.

Some of our family members and parents were contemporaries and colleagues of your late father, General Aung San. They made contributions to the country’s welfare as he did.

When you delivered your first speech in 1988, declaring that “as my father’s daughter I could no longer remain silent when the public remains subject to decades of oppression”, we were deeply moved and inspired by your determination and courage. 

Like millions of Burmese we transferred to you, the love, respect and trust which your martyred father earned from our parents and generations of Burmese.

In your long years of captivity as a Prisoner of Conscience, we stood by you and did everything in our power, individually and collectively, to secure your freedom and build an international movement in support of your leadership. 

We did indeed respond to your famous call, “use your liberty to promote ours”. Irrespective of our ethnic and religious backgrounds – including Rohingyas, other Muslims, Hindus and Christians, we all rallied to your call to end the oppression of the majority by an elite minority in the Tatmadaw. 

We rejoiced when you were released, and waited to see how you would rally the nation to our common cause - democracy. But you acknowledged none of your able supporters and fellow dissidents, exiled or formerly jailed, much less consulted with them. Many would have assisted you in any way they could with years of invaluable global experience in many fields. You showed no interest in soliciting any intellectual or professional support.

Worse still, we were shocked by your statement that you were a politician – meaning political expediency might guide your decision-making, as if universal human rights and politics were mutually exclusive.

Then the make-up of your government caused us concern. None of the well-respected experienced senior NLD leaders were included. No one of outstanding ability and experience was drafted into your cabinet. Most were inexperienced NLD newcomers and the only ones with any real capacity or experience were ex-military, functionaries of the very regime that had incarcerated you, oppressed the nation for the last fifty years, and whitewashed the crimes of our former tormentors and jailers.

Where are we headed? Has our democratic transition in Myanmar turned full circle? Are we back under an autocratic regime albeit one that was democratically elected? You need to encourage a free press, allow dissent in the ranks, debate policy differences, and build up the next generation of leaders from all ethnic backgrounds and religions, besides building trust with the generals. We know it is not easy. But they are the building blocks of any reformist agenda. We are not expecting you to do it alone. It can only be done with a strong team. 

Given the memory of your father and the supreme leadership position that you now hold in the country, we are appealing to you to draw a firm line based on democratic principles and human compassion. Burmese society is sleep-walking into the abyss of racial hatred and religious bigotry. The violence against the Rohingya must end. Whatever the crimes of the militants, it is wrong to kill innocent villagers – men, women, and children, in Rakhine, Kachin and Shan States, especially in Rakhine. You have a moral obligation to act.

We also urge you to allow the United Nations and human rights organizations full access to determine what went wrong. Humanitarian aid should also be made available to all those in need irrespective of whether or not they are citizens of Myanmar.

We, the undersigned are making this statement with sadness and regret. But we are compelled by the credible reports of the catastrophic turn of events in Northern Rakhine. You can still heal the wounds and lead the reconciliation process. We would like you to take the initiative as the elected leader of Myanmar. It is not too late to do the right thing by your father’s legacy.  

We wish you well. May you walk in peace.

Sincerely,

1. Ko Aung, UK
2. Tun Aung, USA
3. Kin Oung, Australia
4. Bilal Raschid, USA
5. U Kyaw Win, USA
6. Harn Yawnghwe, Canada
7. Maung Zarni, UK
8. Moethee Zun, USA”

http://www.mizzima.com/news-domestic/myanmar-exiles-pen-open-letter-daw-aung-san-suu-kyi

Cool.  I was just in Myanmar 3 days ago.  

Just now, Shootist Jeff said:

smelly bait troll

1 hour ago, Mid said:

like I requested , don't get me started , she is unworthy .

But worthy, according to you, to lay down her life. Still an asshole. And a judgemental fucker as well.

her silence is supporting the genocide of thousands .

55 minutes ago, Mid said:
56 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

smelly bait troll

How so?  It was actually a disappointing dive trip.  The Myanmar gov't are cunts for allowing such horrible and blatant over-fishing.  What were pristine dive sites thriving with pelagic and reef life a year ago have been decimated.  Entire reefs gone and hardly a handful of fish bigger than a small goldfish.  We saw net fishing boats at night from horizon to horizon.  We saw dead fields of coral where they were blasted with dynamite.  It was a perfect example of a poor country with little gov't regulation or ability or will to enforce what regulations there were.  It was disgusting.

25 minutes ago, Mid said:

her silence is supporting the genocide of thousands .

So she should die. To make you feel she has done something. If it means so much to you would you be prepared to visit and do the same.

just where did I say she should die ?

I said she should speak out and that is her moral duty , your claim of her imminent death in doing so shows your ignorance of the realities of the situation .

the woman is well versed with martyrdom when it suits her purpose .

her silence is due to her support of the genocide occurring in Myanmar currently .

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:00 PM, Mid said:

just where did I say she should die ?

I said she should speak out and that is her moral duty , your claim of her imminent death in doing so shows your ignorance of the realities of the situation .

the woman is well versed with martyrdom when it suits her purpose .

her silence is due to her support of the genocide occurring in Myanmar currently .

A couple of days ago there was a meeting between her & the Australian Prime Minister & the Leader of the Opposition. That in itself was unusual. More so was the complete news blackout of what was discussed.

The Aus Foreign Minister (Julie Bishop) was obviously involved. In an interview, when asked about that meeting, all she said was Aung San Suu Kyi is in a  "very difficult position". She would not elaborate.

Since then the President of Myanmar, Htin Kyaw, a close friend of Aung San Suu Kyi, has resigned.

It has not been reported if or when she has left the country - she might be still here.

We really have no idea what is going on there behind the scenes in Myanmar but it is fairly certain that Aung San Suu Kyi has NO power in the country. The generals control the place.

Aung San Suu Kyi is a bitter disappointment who has lost any moral authority she may have once had and is complicit in genocide .

Aung San Suu Kyi is a bitter disappointment who has lost any moral authority she may have once had and is complicit in genocide .

But, she is a Nobel Peace Prize winner.

• Downvote 1

already lost some keys to cities and fellow Nobel laureates have discussed stripping her of it .

fa2fdd3b8b8377c0890535c739d3c8d5.thumb.jpeg.3469652099ded6bb0805632d7288cf4a.jpeg

Posters referring to Myanmar's State Counselor Augn San Suu Kyi are displayed at a protest during the ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations)-Australia Special Summit in Sydney on March 17, 2018
AFP

As Myanmar sends journalists to jail, pressure mounts on Aung San Suu Kyi

The government of Myanmar and its de facto head, Nobel peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, are facing renewed international condemnation after two Reuters journalists, Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo, were sentenced to seven years in prison for breaking an official secrets law. Their crime: receiving documents detailing the killing of ten Rohingya men and boys by Myanmar security personnel in 2017, during the military’s genocidal response to isolated attacks conducted by Rohingya militants.

http://theconversation.com/as-myanmar-sends-journalists-to-jail-pressure-mounts-on-aung-san-suu-kyi-102591

Two key groups label Rohingya slaughter 'genocide' as Trump admin stays mum

Myanmar's violence against the Rohingya, a Muslim-majority ethnic group, constituted a genocide, according to two new reports released Monday -- a determination that the Trump administration still has not made, even after releasing an exhaustive fact-finding report in September that documented the atrocities in horrifying detail.

The administration's silence on genocide is particularly striking because the Public International Law and Policy Group, one of the two groups that made a genocide determination on Monday, worked with the U.S. State Department on the administration's fact-finding report. PILPG reviewed the same evidence that the State Department has and undertook its own legal analysis to reach its conclusion Monday.

But the U.S. has stopped short of using the term genocide, instead saying the slaughter of thousands of Rohingya and displacement of over 700,000 refugees across the border into Bangladesh, is ethnic cleansing.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/key-groups-label-rohingya-slaughter-genocide-trump-admin/story?id=59577406

@Mid, What has the AUS gov't officially said about these reports?