• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
2slow

Irma, oh shit

Anybody considering "riding out" a hurricane should listen to this first. :D

A reasonably stiff breeze is 18.5 mph.  Irma's 185mph sustained winds have 100 times the destructive force of an 18.5mph breeze. Kinda puts it in perspective.

6 minutes ago, IStream said:

A reasonably stiff breeze is 18.5 mph.  Irma's 185mph sustained winds have 100 times the destructive force of an 18.5mph breeze. Kinda puts it in perspective.

Double the wind speed, 4X the force. 

16 knots of wind is 1 lb per square foot. 32 knots is 4x that, 4 lbs per sq foot. You do the rest of the math...

That Tater Salad ROn guy clip is funny be holds a lot of truth. It won't be so funny in the morning.

23 minutes ago, By the lee said:

Why did they take their guns away?

So they couldn't shoot the curl on the pipe line.....

(Surfer joke..... Never mind)

16 minutes ago, Frayed Knot Arts said:

^ Terrible line!

Are you an the Gal still hi and dry?

Mo-less Mr. B. Thanx for asking.

We're at the tail end of moving from one place to another that's just close enough to be a bother.

We made it through a shit storm of weather in 2012-2013 at West st, we'll be OK here god willin' and if the creek don't rise too much....

I probably ought to find out if the 15HP Johnson in the garage actually works though, now that I think on it.....

Someone said the BEYC is gone.  Damages to USVI and BVI are extensive.

Hope it bypasses Florida.

On 9/5/2017 at 7:32 PM, Rasputin22 said:

16 knots of wind is 1 lb per square foot. 32 knots is 4x that, 4 lbs per sq foot. You do the rest of the math...

That Tater Salad ROn guy clip is funny be holds a lot of truth. It won't be so funny in the morning.

Pressure goes up by the square. 

I remember a photograph of a piece of straw sticking out of a tree trunk.

The effects of wind like that are simply beyond our comprehension.

And just imagine - the Great Red Spot on Jupiter is said to have windspeeds of 900 MPH - way into supersonic. :blink: Irma would be a summer breeze by comparison.

On 9/7/2017 at 3:28 PM, More Cowbell2 said:

Someone said the BEYC is gone.  Damages to USVI and BVI are extensive.

Hope it bypasses Florida.

It is, most of BE is destroyed.

Soggy Bottom Bar is also gone, completely taken down to nothing but rubble. 

Hate to say it, but................... If these people (The investors) would pay for proper construction for the environment they are living in, most of this wouldn't happen.

Not talkin' about locals putting up a house. I'm talking about hoteliers going cheap. Facts is facts jack.

2 hours ago, random said:

You guys should take a look at next week.

next.jpeg

While that could happen, that's not the NOAA prediction. I call attention-whorism.

39 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

While that could happen, that's not the NOAA prediction. I call attention-whorism.

I call argue with Windytv crabitch.

2 minutes ago, 4ktsb said:

There were no H bombs this weekend, they have to milk something on the news.

You mean Trump hasn't tripped over his own dick yet this weekend? There's still 5 hours to go..... Plenty of time for him to insult a friend, or enrage a neutral party, or offend some ethnicity or other.....

1 hour ago, Rule69 said:

The long term forecast for Jose is not very useful.

AL12_2017091012_ECENS_large.png?77816762

AL12_2017091012_GEFS_large.png?85901931

These are what you'd call NFC forecasts.

54 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

You mean Trump hasn't tripped over his own dick yet this weekend? There's still 5 hours to go..... Plenty of time for him to insult a friend, or enrage a neutral party, or offend some ethnicity or other.....

Trust me, it's happened - possibly just not on a scale to make the news.

I doubt that asshole ever goes more than an hour without stepping on his dick in some way.

A 22 year old started a FB event urging Floridians to "shoot first at Irma" and apparently the idea has taken off.

Only a few of us are lucky enough to live in areas where that's a funny suggestion, as it was intended to be.

Now the cops are warning people that bullets fired upward come back down.

Just now, Uncooperative Tom said:

A 22 year old started a FB event urging Floridians to "shoot first at Irma" and apparently the idea has taken off.

Only a few of us are lucky enough to live in areas where that's a funny suggestion, as it was intended to be.

Now the cops are warning people that bullets fired upward come back down.

This may not be a bad thing, all things considered. Sure, a couple of rational people may die, but chances are if there are a bus load of idiots shooting straight up, all over the place, at least a few of them will be weeded out too. My advice to idiots with guns, during a hurricane, is to shoot your idiot friend before he shoots you. That might really help weed out the problem people.

5 hours ago, olaf hart said:

The only way to stop a hurricane with a gun is to shoot straight up. 

Has this been tested by myth busters yet?

14 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

These storms are lasting a bit longer than is typical.

I blame all the fidget spinners.  All that energy and work has to go somewhere.  Conservation of energy and stuff.

EDIT:  Just go word a family member who just moved to Tampa is safe and sound and exhausted.  Woohoo!

Everything is good at my house, now just gotta wait for the remnants to pass us here in Atlanta before we head back down to FL.