• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Who else is going. We are buttoning up the house today then as soon as the wifey gets home we are caravanning up to Atlanta. An RV, our SUV pulling the boat, all the gear a pregnant woman needs and the animals. All night drive to ATL probably. We aren't taking any chances with Irma. Who else is bailing?

:o:(

good luck. hope you manage to escape the worst of it. my prayers are with you.

47 minutes ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Who else is going. We are buttoning up the house today then as soon as the wifey gets home we are caravanning up to Atlanta. An RV, our SUV pulling the boat, all the gear a pregnant woman needs and the animals. All night drive to ATL probably. We aren't taking any chances with Irma. Who else is bailing?

Looking at the track, our turn may be coming. Good luck and park the RV in a high spot.

-DSK

good luck, trying to get my dad to leave as well but he is stubborn.

not sure ATL will be far enough north. 

My family is staying put in WPB. They all live on the water with boats. No boats are worth my life but obviously they think differently. If you don't want to go all the way to ATL I have room for all your toys here in PC including 30amp for the RV. Good luck.

we're probably heading inland to o-town to ride it out. that worked well for matthew last year. it was a big party at the resort. lots of friends w/ their kids at the same place. should be the same this time.

"All night to ATL" may be wildly optimistic...I'd consider hangin' a left and taking Puffy up on his offer...weather is gonna be a treat around these parts ...

Screenshot_2017-09-06-14-33-20.png

We will see, good friends in ATL that's why we are heading there. The power boat behind the SUV has 4 gas cans filled with gas lashed to the center console plus another 30 gallons in the tank to act as replenish for the SUV. Good luck to everyone staying put, let's hope for the best with this one. 

I was in Homestead as Wilma hit.  Bailed out up to Ocala.  They kept the toll roads open, with no charges!  Afterwards, you couldn't get gas, as there was no power to pump it.  Jug up as much fuel as you can!  

Stay safe!

10 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Good to hear you're getting out for a few days. 

Stay safe. 

1 hour ago, silent bob said:

I was in Homestead as Wilma hit.  Bailed out up to Ocala.  They kept the toll roads open, with no charges!  Afterwards, you couldn't get gas, as there was no power to pump it.  Jug up as much fuel as you can!  

Stay safe!

That's insane.  Up here in Michigan just about every gas station has a generator that can run off the gas station's own gas so they don't lose their coolers and continue pumping no matter what.  But we have semi-regular snow and other related outages.  Maybe it's less common down that way?

22 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

That's insane.  Up here in Michigan just about every gas station has a generator that can run off the gas station's own gas so they don't lose their coolers and continue pumping no matter what.  But we have semi-regular snow and other related outages.  Maybe it's less common down that way?

There ought to be a law against that!

http://www.wftv.com/weather/eye-on-the-tropics/law-allows-some-gas-stations-to-run-on-generators-but-solution-may-not-keep-fuel-at-the-pump/603627211

5 hours ago, Grabbler said:

"All night to ATL" may be wildly optimistic...I'd consider hangin' a left and taking Puffy up on his offer...weather is gonna be a treat around these parts ...

Screenshot_2017-09-06-14-33-20.png

I'm liking this mini coldfront we are having. The humidity is down a bit so I've only had to change my sweaty shirt once today.

1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

We have a generator law now, if memory serves.  Gas stations and grocery stores have to have them.  Lots of stations in N. FL ran out of gas today.  Unreal.  

20 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

We have a generator law now, if memory serves.  Gas stations and grocery stores have to have them.  Lots of stations in N. FL ran out of gas today.  Unreal.  

Hell..... Gas stations? The Winn-Dixie and Walmart in Chiefland don't even have generators. Last year the two minor storms that came through there was no gas or food to be had unless you went to Gainesville.

I have more generators in my garage than every gas station in the county.

There is no gasoline or diesel in Trenton, Fanning Springs, or Old Town as of 5PM today...... They might have some now, but at 5PM there was none. Beer..... Yes. Gas, no.

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Hell..... Gas stations? The Winn-Dixie and Walmart in Chiefland don't even have generators. Last year the two minor storms that came through there was no gas or food to be had unless you went to Gainesville.

I have more generators in my garage than every gas station in the county.

There is no gasoline or diesel in Trenton, Fanning Springs, or Old Town as of 5PM today...... They might have some now, but at 5PM there was none. Beer..... Yes. Gas, no.

An important commodity, for those "hold my beer and watch this" moments that pop up during a hurricane......

21 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

I'm thinking of staying now.

"Mass" took on a whole new meaning with the eastward shift.

There are about a million people in Collier, Lee, and Charlotte counties combined. Many won't leave. Maybe half a million of us, probably less.

Dade and Broward have 4 million people.

My friend who was going to put us up in Gainesville said finding gas was hit or miss yesterday.

If I go, I'll be bringing 6 cats, 3 dogs, enough food and water for all for a week, enough fuel to make the return trip, plus chainsaws, tarps, and other stuff in case the place I go turns out to be a disaster area too. Oh, and air mattresses, clothes, at least a couple of computers. Packed to the roof.

1 hour ago, Battlecheese said:

Hill?

https://goo.gl/maps/rrTYpy3yTCN2

this bridge is the tallest thing as far as the eye can see.

I'm about 20' above river level, with ten acres of swampy cypress marsh being the only thing between me and the river.  My property drops off into the swamp, with a steep (and slowly eroding) hill. The street has the same incline, and ends at the river.

Matthew pushed so much water into the river that it was flowing backwards, and it never got close to me. There's a reason that I don't live in the coast anymore....  I'm good on flooding. Wind is my bugaboo. 

14 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I'm about 20' above river level, with ten acres of swampy cypress marsh being the only thing between me and the river.  My property drops off into the swamp, with a steep (and slowly eroding) hill. The street has the same incline, and ends at the river.

Matthew pushed so much water into the river that it was flowing backwards, and it never got close to me. There's a reason that I don't live in the coast anymore....  I'm good on flooding. Wind is my bugaboo. 

Ah, the mountains of central Florida! The lofty vistas, the eagles wheeling around the craggy peaks.... come for the sunsets, stay for the skiing (or maybe the yodeling)

-DSK

We made it to Atlanta, not looking forward to what Irma will bring to the table. I'm not there physically now but that's where my house is. 

IMG_0251.JPG

And the tolls are all waived. Didn't have to pay a dime last night along the turnpike. 

I saw lots of boats headed up the icw last night. I'm not sure how far most of them will get but I wouldn't want to be them. I hope it doesn't end up looking like this:

2200.jpg?w=1010&q=20&auto=format&usm=12&

Holy fuck.  Gusts recorded at 222 miles per hour according to accuweather.  222 miles per hour.  That number - I don't understand it.

And here comes Jose, right behind Irma.  150 mile per hour gusts.

7 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

And the tolls are all waived. Didn't have to pay a dime last night along the turnpike. 

Betcha had some love bugs hitchhike along with you :lol:...

8 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

yjv1w_nfe7aaTKj6WJ6e7nkBH--HXfm5FrXgTMPExro.jpg?w=596&s=eb1587e225eb823c8516251450316651

The latest forecasts have her coming right up Florida.  Glad I left when I did, I just hope my house remains after this.

Best of luck to all of you in the path of Irma, and those recovering in Texas.

I had 4.5 feet of water in my Waterbury, VT apartment when Irene visited. In our case, it was was mountain rain that filled rivers and flood lands. The water receded in my town the next day, but not everywhere.

I think the 2017 storms are worse.

Just to share a piece of good news, I heard of a Vermont guy who drove down with a horse trailer, and rescued horses, dogs, and cats from Texas to dry places. He also brought down farm supplies, food, water, etc. He just kept running loops. I tried to find a posted story, but I guess this is anecdotal for now.

Best wishes,

Jason

On 9/7/2017 at 4:24 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'm thinking of staying now.

"Mass" took on a whole new meaning with the eastward shift.

There are about a million people in Collier, Lee, and Charlotte counties combined. Many won't leave. Maybe half a million of us, probably less.

Dade and Broward have 4 million people.

My friend who was going to put us up in Gainesville said finding gas was hit or miss yesterday.

If I go, I'll be bringing 6 cats, 3 dogs, enough food and water for all for a week, enough fuel to make the return trip, plus chainsaws, tarps, and other stuff in case the place I go turns out to be a disaster area too. Oh, and air mattresses, clothes, at least a couple of computers. Packed to the roof.

good luck Tom

my dad is in Bonita, one of the ones who won't leave. His ex wife is staying as well with her adult son. they are all in mobile homes. 

talked to him again last night trying to persuade him to leave but nope. 

emailed friends in Orlando today, she sent me a pic of traffic and said it wasn't worth trying to leave at this point, too many cars and not enough gas. at least they are in a solid house but not sure anything will withstand this thing

Orlando's far enough inland that they don't have to worry about storm surge and far enough north that the storm may weaken before they get hit. Lots of maybes but if I were in FL, that's probably the southern-most place I'd even consider staying put as an option.