I am sad to report that Wanda; my modified Viper 830; has met it's maker and is no more

She was hit by lightning a couple of weeks ago while I was in Iceland on vacation.  Almost caused a couple of heart attacks for some of the older club members at EYC as she was hit while the deck was filled with people.

Damage was extensive - Mast, electronics/electrics, delaminations around chainplates, deck, keel box, keel and probably some more areas that are not immediately visible.

Fair winds Wanda - a lot of people, me included, have had a lot of fun with you and I am sad to see you go down like that.

Cheers,

Christian

• Downvote 1

:o:( R.I.P.

Damn Christian, always loved competing against you guys on that boat and just seeing Wanda out there.  Love me a sport boat, and the fish always made me smile.  I am so sorry Wanda is toast, glad you and the crew are okay though.

Sorry to hear about this Christian - that's awful news.  And sorry that we didn't get to line up on the water. 

MH

The death of a boat is always a sad day.

RIP Wanda

Holy crap clusters, Christian!  Sorry to hear this, man.  Good of Wanda to take the hit so that no one else got fried, though.  That was a cool boat  I thought you had sold it though. Wasn't it on the market a few years back?

RIP Wanda!

RIP Wanda.jpg

Christian, really sorry to hear this. Yours seemed really well sorted. any loss is a tragedy, but with so few built... :(

Hey-  I saw what looked like Wanda sold at insurance auction. I just missed bidding on it by a few hours.  It got sold.  I bet someone will fix it and it will sail again.

On 4/20/2018 at 5:30 AM, dvx said:

Hey-  I saw what looked like Wanda sold at insurance auction. I just missed bidding on it by a few hours.  It got sold.  I bet someone will fix it and it will sail again.

I bet she won't

wow the news ....no .    that is truly dreadful.... I have followed from afar of a special beasty called Wanda... But no one was hit so there is that to be thankful

But tis a shame for a boat "She" to end that way .             Christian.....if you put your hat in the ring , again . ..be sure to write about your next love..!    cheers to the future

Was listed on craigslist about a month ago. $4k with no sails, boom, or rudder.

14 hours ago, huey 2 said:

wow the news ....no .    that is truly dreadful.... I have followed from afar of a special beasty called Wanda... But no one was hit so there is that to be thankful

But tis a shame for a boat "She" to end that way .             Christian.....if you put your hat in the ring , again . ..be sure to write about your next love..!    cheers to the future

Thanks Huey - I am still considering what's next.  Meanwhile I am sailing my VX One, which is also quite a fun toy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, samc99us said:

Foiling A-Cat. We have two in Galesville :)

They are fun for sure but kinda suck for any kind of distance racing and I already have one small boat