• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spatial Ed

Limbaugh thinks Irma is fake news

226 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

A question.

I've been looking at the trails of stationary outbound traffic and the empty inbound lanes. is there any reason why half of those empty inbound lanes cant be reversed?

It's tricky. The PD's in CA have as part of their plan to do some of that though. You need a place where cars can cross over, and then someplace up the road where they can either cross back or exit. Obviously, every access along the way must be blocked and the entire process carefully coordinated. Considering the distances required to make a difference in the current FL situation? Fuggetaboudit. 

24 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

The trains were wiped out in the hurricanes of the 30s.  Replaced with elevated highways.

I'm just curious why I'm not seeing masses of buses evacuating people...i assumed thered be trains taking people out of state.

I know "everyone" in the USA has a car..but what about those who don't?..or those without petrol.

It's strange, from this side of the world I'm seeing "get out now" warnings, "it's too late to get out, stay put" warnings..."It's not safe to leave in your car" and tweets pinned to the president's twit feed that appear to be telling everyone in general ..to go.

edit

I know a most of those warnings are area specific and people hopefully are only paying attention to their local news feeds..but seeing all those cars handing around waiting for petrol that may have run out by the time they get to the pump is worrying.

27 minutes ago, Mark K said:

It's tricky. The PD's in CA have as part of their plan to do some of that though. You need a place where cars can cross over, and then someplace up the road where they can either cross back or exit. Obviously, every access along the way must be blocked and the entire process carefully coordinated. Considering the distances required to make a difference in the current FL situation? Fuggetaboudit. 

hmm..I'd have though that they would have thought about that sort of emergency plan re exit routes..kinda a while ago.But now is not the time for infrastructure planning debates so..i'll ask later.

55 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

hmm..I'd have though that they would have thought about that sort of emergency plan re exit routes..kinda a while ago.But now is not the time for infrastructure planning debates so..i'll ask later.

Newer projects tend to have those cross-overs. There are a couple in south Florida, but they are geared toward getting rush hour traffic in and out of town for work.  

3 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

I'm just curious why I'm not seeing masses of buses evacuating people...i assumed thered be trains taking people out of state.

I know "everyone" in the USA has a car..but what about those who don't?..or those without petrol.

It's strange, from this side of the world I'm seeing "get out now" warnings, "it's too late to get out, stay put" warnings..."It's not safe to leave in your car" and tweets pinned to the president's twit feed that appear to be telling everyone in general ..to go.

edit

I know a most of those warnings are area specific and people hopefully are only paying attention to their local news feeds..but seeing all those cars handing around waiting for petrol that may have run out by the time they get to the pump is worrying.

How does your country handle hurricanes?

Shall I research?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2017/03/28/cyclone-debbie-deadly-storm-strikes-australia-thousands-flee/99723528/

I've been watching this all day here.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/video/channel/316-live-video/

Looks like it might not be quite as bad, Cuba seems to have worn the edge off it and broken up the eyewall a bit for the moment..no doubt Rush will be along to tell everyone it was a fake news conspiracy ..and some storm surge warnings dropped or reduced around Miami.

1 am your time..

6 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

I've been watching this all day here.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/video/channel/316-live-video/

Looks like it might not be quite as bad, Cuba seems to have worn the edge off it and broken up the eyewall a bit for the moment..no doubt Rush will be along to tell everyone it was a fake news conspiracy ..and some storm surge warnings dropped or reduced around Miami.

1 am your time..

Look for the video out of Long Island Bahamas, of the dry seabed just offshore from the island. That will give you an idea of what this storm is really packing. That storm surge will wipe stuff out along the coasts. 

As for wind... It's at 130 mph now, just hitting the keys. I'm at the other end of the state and it's already sporty. Water temps are high between Cuba and KW are high so it has strengthened into Cat 4 again at landfall. West coast gonna take a hit  

Thats two cat 4 storms hitting the gulf coast in two weeks. Let Rush choke on that stat and spin it, from wherever he is, other than his Florida estate. 

Here it is:

Must be nightmarish for anyone hunkered down in the Keys..imagine..dark, incredible noise and some tinny voice on a radio talking about your fate like it was a horse race they are calling.

Anyone still in the Keys is a finalist in the Darwin awards.

Really, there's NO excuse.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Saw an interview with the curator of the Hemmingway house.  Said he and his staff were staying because the house has never been damaged before.  Why, I don't know.  Its not like he could do anything if it did start coming apart.  Fire and rescue need to just pull back until this all blows over.  If those folk need rescue they are on their own until its safe to return.  No reason to risk any life to protect these morons.

The Marriott in KW is built for Cat 5, and shelters the locals who do things that have to be done, and therefore cannot evacuate.  Those folks know that they are on their own, and they make an informed choice.  The ones who stay in a ground floor abode that has been there for a hundred years?  Yeah, they's crazier than a shithouse mouse.  

And the little bitty Key Deer on Big Pine Key, well...I fear that they will not fare well, though they have been known to be pretty good swimmers, crossing from island to island the wet way.  Poor little buggers.  

Buddy of mine was instrumental in putting together all the bike share stuff in DC and Northern Virginia.  He and his husband retired to Key West and were quite happy to tell everyone how great it is to never need a car.

Until it was time to evacuate.

They got to Port Charlotte.  Looks like they're going to get hit hard, there.

Alex Jones can go on the air tomorrow and claim that those construction cranes that fell in Miami were not done-in by the wind, but rather by Debbie Wasserman Schultz with a hacksaw, and people would believe it (or point out that we could not prove that it did not happen that way).  

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I think I saw something saying that some people didn't have the means to leave?

13 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Look for the video out of Long Island Bahamas, of the dry seabed just offshore from the island. That will give you an idea of what this storm is really packing. That storm surge will wipe stuff out along the coasts. 

As for wind... It's at 130 mph now, just hitting the keys. I'm at the other end of the state and it's already sporty. Water temps are high between Cuba and KW are high so it has strengthened into Cat 4 again at landfall. West coast gonna take a hit  

Thats two cat 4 storms hitting the gulf coast in two weeks. Let Rush choke on that stat and spin it, from wherever he is, other than his Florida estate. 

Here it is:

Irma sucks.

38 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I think I saw something saying that some people didn't have the means to leave?

THey had shuttles set up.  There is talk of an airlift to provide supplies, and handle other needs...including a mortuary team.  Perhaps El Rushbo should have chosen his words more carefully.  

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172503266.html

1 minute ago, Spatial Ed said:

Fake news.  Clearly ANTIFA cut the bolts to promote the false science of climate change.

I think it was Debbie Wasserman Schultz.  There's a story going around that Bernie planned a campaign HQ in that building.  Many people are saying it.  

3 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I think it was Debbie Wasserman Schultz.  There's a story going around that Bernie planned a campaign HQ in that building.  Many people are saying it.  

Debbie Wasserman Schultz is a goddamn hero.

LOL

"White House Chief of Staff John Kelly took an out of character shot at conservative commentator Ann Coulter on Sunday for joking about the victims of Hurricane Irma. 

The former general called Coulter out after she all-cap tweeted: “HURRICANE UPDATE FROM MIAMI: LIGHT RAIN; RESIDENTS AT RISK OF DYING FROM BOREDOM.” 

Coulter’s tweet — which disregarded four deaths already attributed to Irma — irked Kelly who fired back, “Hard to understand the point of making light of honest attempts to warn people of danger.” 

Kelly who reportedly is slowing Trump down from tweeting indiscriminately was congratulated for calling the conservative demagogue out, with one Twitter user pointing out that Coulter owns a home in Palm Beach, writing: “Coulter needs a reality check. She’ll be the first one applying for disaster relief. Maybe you can draft her and give her a dose or reality.” 

Coulter seemed to not get the point, later tweeting: “I wish cables would mention the hurricane. There is a decidedly heavier-than-average morning dew in Miami; Palm Beach bordering on breezy.” 

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/white-house-chief-of-staff-john-kelly-blisters-ann-coulter-for-joking-about-hurricane-irma-victims-dying/

10 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

LOL

"White House Chief of Staff John Kelly took an out of character shot at conservative commentator Ann Coulter on Sunday for joking about the victims of Hurricane Irma. 

The former general called Coulter out after she all-cap tweeted: “HURRICANE UPDATE FROM MIAMI: LIGHT RAIN; RESIDENTS AT RISK OF DYING FROM BOREDOM.” 

Coulter’s tweet — which disregarded four deaths already attributed to Irma — irked Kelly who fired back, “Hard to understand the point of making light of honest attempts to warn people of danger.” 

Kelly who reportedly is slowing Trump down from tweeting indiscriminately was congratulated for calling the conservative demagogue out, with one Twitter user pointing out that Coulter owns a home in Palm Beach, writing: “Coulter needs a reality check. She’ll be the first one applying for disaster relief. Maybe you can draft her and give her a dose or reality.” 

Coulter seemed to not get the point, later tweeting: “I wish cables would mention the hurricane. There is a decidedly heavier-than-average morning dew in Miami; Palm Beach bordering on breezy.” 

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/white-house-chief-of-staff-john-kelly-blisters-ann-coulter-for-joking-about-hurricane-irma-victims-dying/

These folks are pretty seriously out of touch for people who make bank out of calling liberals elitists.  

Transformers exploding. Offline soon.

16 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

These folks are pretty seriously out of touch for people who make bank out of calling liberals elitists.  

Transformers exploding. Offline soon.

You and Mrleft8 be safe and we'll see you both back here soon.

I'm looking at pictures of people walking out on the currently empty sea beds of various places.

Isn't that kinda stupid..sea level is..well..sea level 

People walk and ride on the muddy bay

Just like in Phuket in '04.

Darwin candidates.

"Oh look - the ocean has gone - let's go check it out".

Even wild animals are smarter than that.

Storm surges don't come in like tsunamis. But then again there is no way to be absolutely sure there hasn't been an earthquake during a hurricane somewhere close. The tape from someplace off shore earlier has a sister tape where they go a-wondering quite a ways, and the guy is obviously looking to do some scavenging, concentrating on the fixed moorings which tourists certainly spent a lot of time at. 

The quest for free sun-glasses is a tempting one and glory shuns the gutless! 

He's backtracking now, trying to explain what he said. If he would just stop pushing stupid shit, he wouldn't have to explain what he was saying. 

If it is a hoax, how does RL explain this obviously valid photo of a svelte President Trump singlehandedly grabbing pussies to save them from the flooding?

IMG_3730.PNG

That photo is a fake.  The black dude is following the Chump.  No self respecting black dude would ever follow him.

27 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

That photo is a fake.  The black dude is following the Chump.  No self respecting black dude would ever follow him.

You question the big heart of the Messiah?

1 minute ago, Bus Driver said:

You question the big heart of the Messiah?

A true messiah wouldn't be walking through the water with pussies, he'd be walking on the water with pussies.

Just now, Spatial Ed said:

A true messiah wouldn't be walking through the water with pussies, he'd be walking on the water with pussies.

Don't tell the Faithful. They've pinned all their hopes on this guy. 

On 9/10/2017 at 6:47 PM, Bus Driver said:

Buddy of mine was instrumental in putting together all the bike share stuff in DC and Northern Virginia.  He and his husband retired to Key West and were quite happy to tell everyone how great it is to never need a car.

Until it was time to evacuate.

They got to Port Charlotte.  Looks like they're going to get hit hard, there.

Port Charlotte was largely spared. I drove all around it yesterday checking on properties and did not see a roof that was missing a shingle.

Today I saw confirmed FB reports that the general availability of BBQ has been restored to the county.

To the thread topic, I found a bit of evidence today that the hurricane was fake news. One end of a friend's kayak blew off a sawhorse in my driveway. That's not what happens when a hurricane hits. We expected his powerboat to roll and his kayak to fly.

Seeing reports of what happened to much of the state, it's hard to believe we're so intact here.

That monster lost power very fast after it hit Fla.

Water still rising up this way. It's been a long time since it reached my property, but there it is at the foot of my hill. No power restoration until it recedes, due to folks down the street still being flooded. 

The Myakka River is cresting today. Pretty good chance it'll do it right into my brother's home.

Oh man I'm sorry. I see the looks on my neighbors' faces, who traded the high ground I enjoy for the nice riverfront view and it kills me. I've been taking folks coffee and snacks between cleanup sessions. It's horrible and word is that it's two weeks before it clears and the power comes on. 

The surge went into his Florida room but not the rest of the house as the storm passed.

The river crest yesterday was just below the seawall, which gets covered sometimes by extra-high tides.

If he had picked up some stuff off the FL room floor, he'd have less work now. But he didn't so he does.

15 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

Antifa must be stopped.

Whoever they are.  

5 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Irma.  Not fake news.

21752363_1252084504938311_26907092232621

Good to see. My life is an ongoing struggle to eradicate cabbage palms faster than they can grow. A little diesel fuel down the heart does wonders. I can't swing a board that hard.

Well, Irma killed a buddy in Everglades City so fuck you Rush and your politics, you rotten cocksucker.  

Sorry about your friend. I've had a little fun with the "fake news" thing myself, mostly rejoicing because we got so lucky, but even in lightly-damaged Charlotte County the reality has been a bit grim for some of my friends.

Do you know if Chokoloskee is still there? I was wondering as I watched the storm hit and haven't heard.

On 9/16/2017 at 1:06 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

Good to see. My life is an ongoing struggle to eradicate cabbage palms faster than they can grow. A little diesel fuel down the heart does wonders. I can't swing a board that hard.

the fk are you pouring poison into trees and the ground you idiot, go polish your gun instead.

6 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

the fk are you pouring poison into trees and the ground you idiot, go polish your gun instead.

If I poured fertilizer instead of poison, it wouldn't kill the plant. Of course I'm pouring poison.

I know that my ownership of guns is objectionable, since only people who work for governments are trustworthy enough to have them, but how is it relevant here?

8 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

If I poured fertilizer instead of poison, it wouldn't kill the plant. Of course I'm pouring poison.

I know that my ownership of guns is objectionable, since only people who work for governments are trustworthy enough to have them, but how is it relevant here?

poison is bad, in general, try harder. and I don't care much for amosexuals, especially argumentative ones.

15 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

poison is bad, in general, try harder. and I don't care much for amosexuals, especially argumentative ones.

Why don't you come here and dig them up?

I get that your mention of gun ownership was intended as a personal attack but still wonder why it's relevant to this issue? I know, I know, it's bad that I own guns. Now can we move on or take it to a gun thread?

12 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Why don't you come here and dig them up?

I get that your mention of gun ownership was intended as a personal attack but still wonder why it's relevant to this issue? I know, I know, it's bad that I own guns. Now can we move on or take it to a gun thread?

it's not about someone digging them up for you, it's about you not pouring toxic shit into places it doesn't belong. period. what else do you do that's contradictory and short sighted? 

and isn't it a coincidence that the same type who plays with tools designed to kill and destroy would be the same one thoughtlessly dealing with foliage using poison. guess I don't really get the Elmer Fudd mentality, but hey...

1 hour ago, 3to1 said:

it's not about someone digging them up for you, it's about you not pouring toxic shit into places it doesn't belong. period. what else do you do that's contradictory and short sighted? 

and isn't it a coincidence that the same type who plays with tools designed to kill and destroy would be the same one thoughtlessly dealing with foliage using poison. guess I don't really get the Elmer Fudd mentality, but hey...

At least he doesn't clear his brush like this guy.

true.

that scene is vulgar, I'll bet the innocent wild life in the path of those bullets appreciates that immensely, especially the ones injured. too bad the alien didn't rip out the shooter's anuses.

11 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

true.

that's vulgar, I'll bet the innocent wild life in the path of those bullets appreciates that immensely, especially the ones injured. too bad the alien didn't rip out the shooter's anuses.

Tell that to Gov Ventura.  

12 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

Tell that to Gov Ventura.  

my guess is he'd agree.

4 hours ago, 3to1 said:

I live in a rural area. There are tractors. People spill diesel fuel. The few tablespoons per year that I pour on unwanted trees really isn't a big environmental issue. But if you want to get all worked up about it because I own guns, feel free.

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I live in a rural area. There are tractors. People spill diesel fuel. The few tablespoons per year that I pour on unwanted trees really isn't a big environmental issue. But if you want to get all worked up about it because I own guns, feel free.

fair enough, but it might as well be pointed out that cumulatively, it ends up being an issue. our attitudes of complacency have severely stressed/fukked a once miraculously harmonious biosphere, a fact you're already aware of.

your weapons hobby isn't my business, unless you count the fact that you happen to be a contributor to a gross, ugly excess of the bloody things in the country that I happen to be a citizen of.

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I had a privet tree once...we called it Rasputin

6 hours ago, 3to1 said:

fair enough, but it might as well be pointed out that cumulatively, it ends up being an issue. our attitudes of complacency have severely stressed/fukked a once miraculously harmonious biosphere, a fact you're already aware of.

your weapons hobby isn't my business, unless you count the fact that you happen to be a contributor to a gross, ugly excess of the bloody things in the country that I happen to be a citizen of.

Diesel is biodegradable and I have acres of swamp. Nature's filter.

There are lots of gun owners here. Why don't you complain about Jocal's assault weapon? Sol claims to be a gun owner. What's the difference? Besides the fact that they never say anything bad about gun bans and confiscation programs?

8 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Diesel is biodegradable and I have acres of swamp. Nature's filter.

There are lots of gun owners here. Why don't you complain about Jocal's assault weapon? Sol claims to be a gun owner. What's the difference? Besides the fact that they never say anything bad about gun bans and confiscation programs?

I'd agree there's not much difference, but I'll leave the gun debates to you guys. I appreciate your cordiality during our banter.

19 hours ago, 3to1 said:

true.

that scene is vulgar, I'll bet the innocent wild life in the path of those bullets appreciates that immensely, especially the ones injured. too bad the alien didn't rip out the shooter's anuses.

What a sensitive shrinking daisy you are.  Be careful - you wouldn't want to get mad and move the mouse so forcefully that you spilled prune juice on your pretty pink lace doilies. 

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

What a sensitive shrinking daisy you are.  Be careful - you wouldn't want to get mad and move the mouse so forcefully that you spilled prune juice on your pretty pink lace doilies. 

I never knew compassion and empathy were character flaws, bitch...let me guess, because I was expressing concern for non-human life you go all dumb and say simple things? idiocy takes many forms.

Is Maria a hoax too?

I'm not looking forward to meeting her....

the fact that the american right wing isn't deep into insane and willful denial is a hoax. give limbaugh and mcconnell to the polar bears.

15 hours ago, 3to1 said:

I never knew compassion and empathy were character flaws, bitch...let me guess, because I was expressing concern for non-human life you go all dumb and say simple things? idiocy takes many forms.

No - it's because your express passion of passion is inconsiderate of the factors of someone else's reality - and you think that your compassion should over-rule those factors.  That inability to comprehend the whole?   That's the character flaw - not your compassion. 

Meanwhile, another Cat 5 hurricane just hit the Caribbean, and is about to hit Puerto Rico.  

1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Meanwhile, another Cat 5 hurricane just hit the Caribbean, and is about to hit Puerto Rico.  

Then possibly south Florida, but might dodge some of the worst if it tracks east, as predicted....

Just now, billy backstay said:

Then possibly south Florida, but might dodge some of the worst if it tracks east, as predicted....

The euro model takes it well east and then up north to collect Jose and head out to sea....  Weird prediction for Jose, just sitting and spinning for a few days, kinda like Harvey, but offshore.  

1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

The euro model takes it well east and then up north to collect Jose and head out to sea....  Weird prediction for Jose, just sitting and spinning for a few days, kinda like Harvey, but offshore.  

Lots of weird stuff, certainly no evidence of man-made global warming, eh??

24 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Lots of weird stuff, certainly no evidence of man-made global warming, eh??

I won't rush into that. Hurricane seasons are odd beasts. The extremes do seem a bit off the charts, but FL took four hurricane strikes a few years back and nobody said anything. 

On 9/17/2017 at 11:24 PM, Shortforbob said:

I had a privet tree once...we called it Rasputin

I resent that Bob.

In other news, meditation saved Florida from Irma.

Glen B. Stewart
Glen B. Stewart Simply speaking - It has Successfully worked in Dissipating 92 Hurricanes since Rita in late 2005. The last hurricane Irma was 185 MPH with 225 MPH peaks - Without the Global "Save a Dream-Team" efforts - Florida would be Totally Destroyed by a Hurricane stronger than a Category 5 (the strongest level). Simply join us - or ignore our posts - Please Do Not allow your disbeliefs to Get Millions Killed - Fair Enough?
LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 1 hr · Edited
Remove
Kai Bach
Kai Bach This is precisely what we need at the moment: Fruitcakes. Glen, were you a capable person, you would be rucked up and headed to rescue, rather than running your yap about meditation. Jeez Dude, get your priorities straight, or get out of the way for real men.
LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 
 · 1 hr
Remove

4 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

If a cat 5 hurricane does not hit a red state, is it still fake news?

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

I resent that Bob.

In other news, meditation saved Florida from Irma.

Glen B. Stewart
Glen B. Stewart Simply speaking - It has Successfully worked in Dissipating 92 Hurricanes since Rita in late 2005. The last hurricane Irma was 185 MPH with 225 MPH peaks - Without the Global "Save a Dream-Team" efforts - Florida would be Totally Destroyed by a Hurricane stronger than a Category 5 (the strongest level). Simply join us - or ignore our posts - Please Do Not allow your disbeliefs to Get Millions Killed - Fair Enough?
LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 1 hr · Edited
Remove
Kai Bach
Kai Bach This is precisely what we need at the moment: Fruitcakes. Glen, were you a capable person, you would be rucked up and headed to rescue, rather than running your yap about meditation. Jeez Dude, get your priorities straight, or get out of the way for real men.
LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 
 · 1 hr
Remove

Where were they before the BVIs got whacked? "I hope you had a hell of a piss, Arnold."

The islands are getting smacked hard this season - I've got some $$ to send that way - does anyone know whether or not the Red Cross is the best agency to support everyone that's been impacted by the recent storms?  

3 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

The islands are getting smacked hard this season - I've got some $$ to send that way - does anyone know whether or not the Red Cross is the best agency to support everyone that's been impacted by the recent storms?  

that's hard to say. As I read in the past, most of Red Cross donations come in after a disaster, and some of the funds will go there, but a lot goes to prepare for the NEXT disaster.  So a chunk of red cross donation goes to replenishing the coffers.

That said, they are one of my annual gift charities so I do believe in their mission - it just might not be the most direct way to point funds at a specific event.

5 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

that's hard to say. As I read in the past, most of Red Cross donations come in after a disaster, and some of the funds will go there, but a lot goes to prepare for the NEXT disaster.  So a chunk of red cross donation goes to replenishing the coffers.

That said, they are one of my annual gift charities so I do believe in their mission - it just might not be the most direct way to point funds at a specific event.

Thanks - that's what was behind my question, gotta think that there's someplace that can provide a more immediate conduit of funds to those that need 'em. 

11 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I've been in contact with an ex-Navy officer who now works as skipper on Gulf offshore supply boats and he has gotten use of a 260' supply vessel  to start bringing relief and rebuilding supplies directly from Louisiana to the VI. He was promised the boat for 10 weeks and it has capacity to do a lot of good and multiple trips are hoped for. The problem is getting the first one going! I've reached out to Kenny Chesney and TIm Duncan as well as the owner of Yellawood Lumber.  Hard to get through the layers of agents and personal assistants especially with so many independent fund raisers and such taking place. Right now my best hope getting out efforts out a an upcoming Flora-Bama/Chesney concert but I'm beginning to have doubts about some of these celebrities true intent. If anyone has any ideas on how we can get some heavy lifting done en mass and best utilize this vessel efficiently let me know! So far Kenny flying in his Gulfstream with pint bottles of water and dog food seems like a drip the the bucket. Tim Duncan was in St John alongside Bloomberg offloading goods that our own SOMA has managed to get sent from Puerto Rico but such efforts will be interrupted and further diluted when PR and St Croix get hammered tonight.

54 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

I've been in contact with an ex-Navy officer who now works as skipper on Gulf offshore supply boats and he has gotten use of a 260' supply vessel  to start bringing relief and rebuilding supplies directly from Louisiana to the VI. He was promised the boat for 10 weeks and it has capacity to do a lot of good and multiple trips are hoped for. The problem is getting the first one going! I've reached out to Kenny Chesney and TIm Duncan as well as the owner of Yellawood Lumber.  Hard to get through the layers of agents and personal assistants especially with so many independent fund raisers and such taking place. Right now my best hope getting out efforts out a an upcoming Flora-Bama/Chesney concert but I'm beginning to have doubts about some of these celebrities true intent. If anyone has any ideas on how we can get some heavy lifting done en mass and best utilize this vessel efficiently let me know! So far Kenny flying in his Gulfstream with pint bottles of water and dog food seems like a drip the the bucket. Tim Duncan was in St John alongside Bloomberg offloading goods that our own SOMA has managed to get sent from Puerto Rico but such efforts will be interrupted and further diluted when PR and St Croix get hammered tonight.

Jimmy Carter might be an option..... But I'd bet he's already in the thick of it.

Say what you will about him as a POTUS, but a better XPOTUS, especially on humanitarian issues, there has never been.

Branson seems to be making some progress in the BVI with response. He had a real eye opener staying in his place at Necker. Anyone have Bloomberg's cell number? 

13 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

No - it's because your express passion of passion is inconsiderate of the factors of someone else's reality - and you think that your compassion should over-rule those factors.  That inability to comprehend the whole?   That's the character flaw - not your compassion. 

thanks for putting it all in perspective Ghandi, now I see the error of my ways.

15 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Thanks - that's what was behind my question, gotta think that there's someplace that can provide a more immediate conduit of funds to those that need 'em. 

The Red Cross is doing that right now.

They're doing it right now because they replenished last time, when people donated.

Helping them to help with the next one DOES help with this one right now.

Tom,

I talked to a guy who talked to a county engineer about the bridge on your loop.

It may have shifted.  It was built in 1961 and the plans have disapeared. It may or may not have any pilings.

12 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Tom,

I talked to a guy who talked to a county engineer about the bridge on your loop.

It may have shifted.  It was built in 1961 and the plans have disapeared. It may or may not have any pilings.

Is that Prairie Creek bridge still closed?

The signs are still up where I turn but I haven't driven out there to see the bridge. I figured the water went down and they reopened it and no one had gotten the signs yet.

Fortunately for Loop Rd residents, it's a pretty useless bridge. It's only a mile longer to go the other way. For people who already live 8 miles out the loop, it's one more minute to get to town.

Dade County Code Enforcement Is On The Job

Celso Perez was helping his neighbors remove some fallen trees blocking their street when a county code enforcer rolled up and issued him a safety notice for having a downed fence. "I laughed," Perez tells WSVN-TV. "I thought he was kidding. 'You are kidding right? We just had a hurricane six hours ago.'"

It wasn't a joke. The official told Perez that the downed fence—which encloses a pool—was a safety hazard, and that if it wasn't fixed by the time he returned, Perez would be hit with a fine. The official then hung the safety citation on the portion of Perez's fence that remained standing, leaving him and his neighbors to finish clearing the debris from their street.

According to WSVN, the county has handed out 680 safety notices for downed pool barriers, and another 177 electrical hazard safety notices. Reason reached out to the county to confirm those numbers, but has not received a reply.

Good to see they're protecting the children.

Should they just allow irresponsible pool owners to create hazards for children?  Seems the first thing you should do is make your own property safe before helping others.

20 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

Should they just allow irresponsible pool owners to create hazards for children?  Seems the first thing you should do is make your own property safe before helping others.

Sure - and fine those rotten fuggers for not fixing the pool fence before they get to the trees that are sticking thru the roof.  Gotta have priorities, after all. 

9 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Sure - and fine those rotten fuggers for not fixing the pool fence before they get to the trees that are sticking thru the roof.  Gotta have priorities, after all. 

The county's response is in an update.  They didn't fine anyone, they just wanted people to be notified of safety issues and how to solve them.  It's south florida.  Plenty of folks know what to do and how to handle it, but oh so many are clueless.  

5 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Yeah, they wern't fined, just warned to make sure the dangers were dealt with.  Such outrage from the right wing could be so much better focused on relief and not bitching.  Are you proud to be a conservative?

9 hours ago, Spatial Ed said:

Yeah, they wern't fined, just warned to make sure the dangers were dealt with.

And warned about the impending fine.

When I see shit like that it makes me sooo glad I left Dade County and extra-glad that my pond is an act of God and not subject to such regulations.

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

And warned about the impending fine.

When I see shit like that it makes me sooo glad I left Dade County and extra-glad that my pond is an act of God and not subject to such regulations.

It was insensitive to bring up zoning and safety issues so close to a fake news event.  How long should the county wait before enforcing laws?

4 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

It was insensitive to bring up zoning and safety issues so close to a fake news event.  How long should the county wait before enforcing laws?

At least until the branches are gone from the streets. Until then, the inspector should have been picking up branches like the rest of us.

2 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

At least until the branches are gone from the streets. Until then, the inspector should have been picking up branches like the rest of us.

At least the ones around the pool.

11 hours ago, Spatial Ed said:

Yeah, they wern't fined, just warned to make sure the dangers were dealt with.  Such outrage from the right wing could be so much better focused on relief and not bitching.  Are you proud to be a conservative?

Yes indeed.   Did you form this impression from what you read the article cited in the OP, or are you replying after the fact, without having taken the time to read the original article, to what Bro Sol shared as the followup message from the enforcement agency?   What I read in the article certainly didn't sound like these were just "hey - get to that" notices w/out the threat of fines, and the timing of the issuance of such seemed to me to be out of touch w/the current stage of cleanup and recovery efforts. 

Of course, I know that you care nothing for any of that, you just want to take advantage of what looks to you like another opportunity to fling shit against the wall.  I hope you at least wash your hands afterwards. 

Should the county suspend all code enforcement until all the trees are tended too?

1 minute ago, Spatial Ed said:

Should the county suspend all code enforcement until all the trees are tended too?

I think that an application of reasonableness is warranted, and in the article Tom quoted, that looked to be missing.  I know I'd be seeing red if a code enforcement agent wrote me a citation for a broken pool fence while I was still trying to get the trees off the roof, and your impetuousness aside, I suspect you would too. 

17 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I think that an application of reasonableness is warranted, and in the article Tom quoted, that looked to be missing.  I know I'd be seeing red if a code enforcement agent wrote me a citation for a broken pool fence while I was still trying to get the trees off the roof, and your impetuousness aside, I suspect you would too. 

The code violation is addressing a safety hazard caused by the storm.  Warning homeowners to address it is the right thing to do, not look the other way.