• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spatial Ed

Limbaugh thinks Irma is fake news

209 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I think that an application of reasonableness is warranted, and in the article Tom quoted, that looked to be missing.  I know I'd be seeing red if a code enforcement agent wrote me a citation for a broken pool fence while I was still trying to get the trees off the roof, and your impetuousness aside, I suspect you would too. 

Yeah, but....  As is so often the case, a bit more context and a few more details would help.  Click on the link in the OP now, and see the update, with the response from Dade County.  They explain their actions, and clear up the citation issue.  They issued safety notices.  No fines.  Meh.  They explain it better than I can, but their update provides the missing context and facts pretty well.  

3 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Yeah, but....  As is so often the case, a bit more context and a few more details would help.  Click on the link in the OP now, and see the update, with the response from Dade County.  They explain their actions, and clear up the citation issue.  They issued safety notices.  No fines.  Meh.  They explain it better than I can, but their update provides the missing context and facts pretty well.  

No arguments with that - and the original article, that Tom shared and I replied to, left absolutely the opposite impression.  Timing/context count, eh? 

Just now, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

No arguments with that - and the original article, that Tom shared and I replied to, left absolutely the opposite impression.  Timing/context count, eh? 

I currently have a bunch of little shits living on my block, who run around everywhere because they do not grasp the concept of property lines.  I could easily see those kids getting hurt if my fence came down.  I literally told them that they were to stay off of my lot not because I want them off my lawn, but because I don't want them getting hurt on my construction site.  

The bigger the city, the more people there are, and the more likely that somebody slips up.  So there's that.  There's also the memory of the lawlessness that took hold after Andrew, when officials left a vacuum in the days after the storm.  Remember Kate Hale, who I think was County Administrator at the time, or something like that, who had a live national TV camera stuck in her face, and had the presence of mind to meet that opportunity to say "WHERE THE HELL IS THE CAVALRY?"  That line ended her political career by embarrassing the good old boys, but it got a response, and changed the way we respond to storms.  I am sure that local government involvement immediately after the storm was no accident, and not just for the purpose of busting balls.  

19 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I currently have a bunch of little shits living on my block, who run around everywhere because they do not grasp the concept of property lines.  I could easily see those kids getting hurt if my fence came down.  I literally told them that they were to stay off of my lot not because I want them off my lawn, but because I don't want them getting hurt on my construction site.  

The bigger the city, the more people there are, and the more likely that somebody slips up.  So there's that.  There's also the memory of the lawlessness that took hold after Andrew, when officials left a vacuum in the days after the storm.  Remember Kate Hale, who I think was County Administrator at the time, or something like that, who had a live national TV camera stuck in her face, and had the presence of mind to meet that opportunity to say "WHERE THE HELL IS THE CAVALRY?"  That line ended her political career by embarrassing the good old boys, but it got a response, and changed the way we respond to storms.  I am sure that local government involvement immediately after the storm was no accident, and not just for the purpose of busting balls.  

With that background context, what at first appeared to be an insensitive intrusion makes more sense. Appreciate you taking the time to share.  

I've had some rather negative (and positive!) interactions w/county code enforcement agents.  Was doing a project w/my brother in law, putting in an in-ground pool.  We needed to bond the rebar around which the concrete was poured, and to have that inspected prior to bringing in the concrete.  The County Inspector came out, failed the bonding inspection.  When we asked him for the code section for which we were deficient, his response was "I don't have to give you that information - homeowners should hire professionals to do this stuff instead of thinking that they're smart enough to do it themselves", and he left.   We called (and paid for) a local pool construction company to come out and look at the bonding to tell us what was wrong - and they said that the issue was that the "tail" of the bonding needed to remain accessible after the pour, so that the final inspector could do a ground fault test. It took us literally 90 seconds to make the change, but, the inspector's behavior cost us a month of schedule (had to wait 2 weeks for the next inspection, and had lost our window for concrete delivery).   

When I put my hot-tub in?   The inspector called me the a couple days before the inspection to run thru the checklist - that 5 minute walkthrough made us both comfortable that I had stuff squared away - and I was happy to have a lb of nice coffee waiting for him when he got there. 

I'm certain that many others have had similar interactions, and interactions like that do indeed flavor one's perceptions.  

13 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

With that background context, what at first appeared to be an insensitive intrusion makes more sense. Appreciate you taking the time to share.  

I've had some rather negative (and positive!) interactions w/county code enforcement agents.  Was doing a project w/my brother in law, putting in an in-ground pool.  We needed to bond the rebar around which the concrete was poured, and to have that inspected prior to bringing in the concrete.  The County Inspector came out, failed the bonding inspection.  When we asked him for the code section for which we were deficient, his response was "I don't have to give you that information - homeowners should hire professionals to do this stuff instead of thinking that they're smart enough to do it themselves", and he left.   We called (and paid for) a local pool construction company to come out and look at the bonding to tell us what was wrong - and they said that the issue was that the "tail" of the bonding needed to remain accessible after the pour, so that the final inspector could do a ground fault test. It took us literally 90 seconds to make the change, but, the inspector's behavior cost us a month of schedule (had to wait 2 weeks for the next inspection, and had lost our window for concrete delivery).   

When I put my hot-tub in?   The inspector called me the a couple days before the inspection to run thru the checklist - that 5 minute walkthrough made us both comfortable that I had stuff squared away - and I was happy to have a lb of nice coffee waiting for him when he got there. 

I'm certain that many others have had similar interactions, and interactions like that do indeed flavor one's perceptions.  

That brought back memories.  The interview that changed the way we deal with catastrophic hurricanes....  Still makes me sick, 25 years later.  Damn if she didn't make stuff happen, and fast.  Lots of boots on the ground to restore order.  

13 hours ago, Spatial Ed said:

The code violation is addressing a safety hazard caused by the storm.  Warning homeowners to address it is the right thing to do, not look the other way.

I think swimming pool barriers are throwing a picture at a problem because I've seen how quickly my friends' kids learn to defeat the barriers.

As for the fines, I wonder who is lying?

The official told Perez that the downed fence—which encloses a pool—was a safety hazard, and that if it wasn't fixed by the time he returned, Perez would be hit with a fine.

or...

We were looking to advise residents of the following hazards on their properties that they may not have been aware of, but that pose a life safety threat: damaged structures that rendered them unsafe, unsecured pools with no barriers, electrical hazards (down lines, damaged meters) and gas hazards (damaged meters). If any of these hazards were found, our inspectors gave out a safety notice, which is neither a notice of violation warning nor a citation. That means there is no fine attached. The safety notices given to property owners identify the hazard, steps that should be taken to correct the hazard, and who to contact for additional information.

I have no proof that Mr. Perez is lying about what the inspector said. I guess others have seen proof.

He or the county government might be lying as far as I know. It wouldn't be exactly out of character for an inspector to threaten a fine if challenged, nor for Dade Co to deny it when camera lights come on.

I know lots of people with pools but have yet to meet one who doesn't know about (and who isn't annoyed by) the barrier requirements. To the very limited extent they actually can stop a kid, all they do is provide a false sense of security. They won't stop them for long. If you have a pool, even if it has a govt-required fence, someone could drown at any time.

Meanwhile, in Sarasota...

21558847_2036108193278575_62126107254186

Really? Hurricanes have their own tree removal permits.

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I know lots of people with pools but have yet to meet one who doesn't know about (and who isn't annoyed by) the barrier requirements. To the very limited extent they actually can stop a kid, all they do is provide a false sense of security. They won't stop them for long. If you have a pool, even if it has a govt-required fence, someone could drown at any time.

Tom..have you ever heard a toddler drown?

answer..Nope.

Why..because they drown silently.

I nearly lost one  in a paddling pool..14 month old..three older kids in pool with her and 8 adults 10 feet away.

It's one of the most terrifying 2 seconds you'll ever experience.

Tom..you really are a dick. 

Natural disasters are a perfect reason to abandon all laws and ordinances.  Heck, I even hear brown people will loot.