• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flyingdog

Airplane Luggage

11 posts in this topic

Best rollers, spinners, what do you have?

I was about to get the Gill roller, but it is .469" bigger than Southwest's maximum guidelines. $75.00 for that size increase.

Looking for suggestions as my 15 year old Travelpro is losing it's zippers and it is time.

And yes, I did the search.

(and I apologise about the thoughts about my self-needs and not those in the upper North West, Texas, Atlantic and Florida, let us all give and help)

FD

We have Briggs and Riley Baseline International Widebody and Northface Rolling Thunder, both in carry on size. Both are great. The NF stuff is used for wet/sandy destinations. 

We looked at a lot of stuff when we bought the B&R bags last year. Extra coin was money well spent. 

What are your priorities? Biggest bag that'll fit in the sizer? Minimum weight? Durability? Ever fly prop planes or regional jets? Ever fly international? Do you wear suits? How many different carriers do you fly on a regular basis?

For 4+ days I like a polycarbonate hard-shell non-spinner in a slightly smaller than max size. That guarantees it'll fit even if I go international and the size restrictions are tight. Polycarbonate shells wear well and are light weight, so more of your weight allowance goes to luggage and less to the bag itself. Non-spinners tend to have larger, more durable wheels that don't sacrifice as much volume as the spinners, which have to stand quite proud of the bag. For less than 4 days, I just use a dry bag in the shape of a small duffel and sling it over my shoulder. 

B&R bags have a great rep but they're heavy and costly, as are TravelPros. 

Looking for the biggest bag that TSA will allow, durable, mobile, multiple compartments to isolate the stank from the wet from the clean.

Thanks for the replies...

I wouldn't look for some kind of integrated stank compartment, it'll limit your choices too much and will eventually permanently stank up the bag. Best thing to do is carry around a heavy gauge plastic bag for your stanky stuff. The Ziplock space bags work well even if you don't vacuum them down. After that, just get the biggest bag that'll fit Southwest's sizer. A hard shell will look better longer than a fabric shell and will likely weigh less.

Osprey Porter line (the 46 is the carry-on model). They are light, carry nicely as a backpack, well made and have nothing extra to add weight or take up space. Put the wet stuff in a dry bag or big zip lock as IStream recommends. 

Samsonite is reasonably priced once one realizes they really do honor their lifetime warranty.

I hate rollies, unless you physically can't carry the load, then you brought too much shit, pay for check in.

Spoken like someone who's never walked 10km between SF and Sardina with a 20kg bag.

Backpack it. Duffel with straps. Double rucksack, all superior options.

Also remember that the size of carry-on luggage can vary depending on the carrier. Regional airlines often will not allow "normal" carry-on sized luggage.