• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SloopJonB

J/29 Shopping

9 posts in this topic

I'm considering a fractional, O/B powered J/29.

What (any?) model specific areas should I be concerned with?

I presume it has a cored hull - anything else? It seems like such a simple boat that I doubt there could be much "hidden" but I thought the advice of the brain trust would be good.

Note: I have over 40 years experience and have restored several boats so I'm not a newbie at this - just seeking model specific experienced knowledge.

There have been several listed on Ebay at very good prices.

Standard J/Boat issues, wet core, soft deck, and wet chain plates. The price difference between a good boat and a soggy one is not that much so take the time to look for a solid boat. It is well worth paying $3-4k more and starting with a solid boat than get a cheap soggy one. Core repairs are not expensive if you do them yourself but they do seem to take 5 times longer than estimated. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-J-Boats-J29-/282619615439?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=5rWPBWxIe5q5wq8iXPCQckCGidI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

CHEERS!

FRENZY

What will you be doing with the boat? Racing or cruising

I owned a masthead outboard J/29 and loved the boat. I originally purchased the boat for local PHRF racing, but found it hard to get 8 people onboard which it really needed. If you have 8 people the boat is a PHRF weapon, if you don't you'll be on your ear the whole time. The boat really relies on crew weight to keep her down and sailing happy. I've sailed on a fractional rig version and found the same to be true.

I was using the boat for cruising most of the time and grew to hate the interior so I ended up selling the boat and bought a cruiser. The J/29 interior is really just a sail locker. 

If you are looking to buy a race boat, a J/29 is 100% the boat for you. It is hands down the best competitive well built boat for the money. If you are looking to cruise, I'd pass. The J/29 is an all out racer.

If the J is for you, take your time and really go through the whole boat top to bottom and invest in a good survey. It is a 30+ year old racing sailboat so I doubt you'll find one in perfect condition, but make sure the boat wan't neglected as a cheap "deal" can turn into a nightmare with these balsa cored boats. 

It'll mostly be used for day sailing - just playing with friends. The interior is adequate for my needs - maybe the occasional overnight or even 2 day stay but no real cruising.

I just like Hi Po toys - I drive Corvettes & Jags & Porsches but I don't race them - sort of the same idea, :D

Thanks all - the comments I've been getting make it sound like it would be a good choice for what I want.

If it wasn't half a continent away I'd be all over it.

Exchange rate and trucking would double the cost to me.

15 hours ago, Will said:

Buy the one in Traverse City.  Been indoors for 16 years unused!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/J-Boats-J-29-3009739/Traverse-City/MI/United-States#.WbiE8siGPIU

I have nothing to do with this boat, just thought if your buying a J/29 that is not Hustler, than this is in better shape than any of them.

An inboard Frac with a full interior...its like finding a unicorn!  You could use those old sails for day sailing.  I think a fully crewed up and sail tested Frac is a better option over the MH

I used to crew on a MHOB that sailed very well in PHRF (and I believe still does). I'd echo the comments on needing a big crew though.