• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
bmiller

My personal caddyshack hell. Fukin gophers.

Little bastards are terrorizing my yard. I get them in one place then they pop up in another. I now know where the game whack-a-mole originated.

Poison, smoke bombs, traps everything. These are some exceptionally resilient gophers.

What's your best gopher eradication method?

Get a couple of these..........

Eastern Foxsnake (Pine) (Pantherophis vulpina

Gopher eating machines

elapvulp.jpg

3 minutes ago, madohe said:

Get a couple of these..........

Eastern Foxsnake (Pine) (Pantherophis vulpina

Gopher eating machines

elapvulp.jpg

^X10....... But my wife is terrified of snakes.

I met one of my resident Foxsnakes the other day while trimming trees.

It was nappinng in the sun. When I woke it the fucker hissed at me a "rattled" its tail in the dry leaves.

It stood its ground, I left.

It was about a 4 footer........

HA!!!

Apparently I didn't have the trap deep enough. The little fucker was just able to fill it with dirt overnight. So I reset it after my plea for help and in a few hours the trap was sprung. One down. Many more to go.

Isn't there some sort of process where you run pressurized smoke or gas or something into one end of their maze to drive them out?

That works way better than shoving a hose down a hole, trying to flood the fuckers, and losing 10 feet of hose.......

Don't ask.

Exploding cats might have an effect.....

I'd rather see exploding terriers though.

Terriers bother me.

Set up a perimeter of those high frequency sound generators. They go nuts a couple days digging around the generator, then they boogie.

During college my son worked at a couple of country clubs on the grounds crew. At the first one, they set out traps,... did all the normal stuff and were constantly fighting gophers. At the second one when there was gopher damage they sent out their own version of Carl Spangler. This guy went out armed with only a hay fork and always got his gopher. not sure how he did it, but he always won. 

20 hours ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

OK, Now I wish I had gophers.

:lol: Me too,

That must be the process I remembered from years ago - do they just used compressed air?

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

:lol: Me too,

That must be the process I remembered from years ago - do they just used compressed air?

No, propane and O2. Thus the boom.

On 9/9/2017 at 1:12 PM, bmiller said:

What I really need is a Rodenator.

Must be some kind of Yankee system...ain't enough beer involved to be from 'round here...

On 9/10/2017 at 3:18 AM, bmiller said:

HA!!!

Apparently I didn't have the trap deep enough. The little fucker was just able to fill it with dirt overnight. So I reset it after my plea for help and in a few hours the trap was sprung. One down. Many more to go.

Get the bladders from any you catch.  Empty them into little jars and put a drop or two on any trap you set. 

Works for rabbits, all the pros used to do that.  Territorial little fuckers can't help going for a sniff, sometimes to mark over the supposed intruder.

On 9/9/2017 at 9:42 AM, bmiller said:

Little bastards are terrorizing my yard. I get them in one place then they pop up in another. I now know where the game whack-a-mole originated.

Poison, smoke bombs, traps everything. These are some exceptionally resilient gophers.

What's your best gopher eradication method?

25.06  with a good scope.....me and my dad were asked a number of summers to get rid of the gophers from grazing fields in early spring....we'd set up and pop a dozen of them by lunchtime....$10 a groundhog.

1 hour ago, dacapo said:

25.06  with a good scope.....me and my dad were asked a number of summers to get rid of the gophers from grazing fields in early spring....we'd set up and pop a dozen of them by lunchtime....$10 a groundhog.

That would be fun except I live in town limits and the targets live underground. 

A couple days with no activity. I may have got them.

But the neighbors place has a few mounds. I need to protect my perimeter so going after them tonight.

Image result for caddyshack images of bill murray

Happy hunting.

Got another one just now, three in two days.

Using one of these, a black box. It's all about how you set them.

vp-us-0625-1

Where did you get them? My freakin Brittany Springer mix can hear them little fuckers digging and you see him cock his head and suddenly dirt is flying in the back yard....cept I am tired of falling into his holes and have been unable to get my wife or dog trained enough to fill in the holes..

21 minutes ago, Bruce T. Shark said:

Where did you get them? My freakin Brittany Springer mix can hear them little fuckers digging and you see him cock his head and suddenly dirt is flying in the back yard....cept I am tired of falling into his holes and have been unable to get my wife or dog trained enough to fill in the holes..

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Black-Gopher-Trap-0625/dp/B000FBMFDO

1 hour ago, Bruce T. Shark said:

The trick is not finding the traps it's in setting them.

First level out the old mounds, next morning or so when you see new mounds that's where you work. 

Take a small probe, or your finger, and poke around the mound. When you find the tunnel it will be very obvious. Dig it out a little until you see where it's going. Keep opening up the tunnel until the trap will just fit with the little opening pointing sort of up but definitely out so light can get in. They can't have that open so they start to fill it in. Snap, you got them. Bear in mind depending on how far in the trap they get they may still be wiggling. Be prepared to get medieval on them. Or do like I did and open the trap just enough to get the wire across their little chest. 

Plenty of videos on youtube about gopher killin.

At my dad's we used to put empty beer bottles upside down into the holes, apparently they made some kind of echo that pissed them off or confuse them or whatever. It worked until my mom got even more pissed off for having the yard full of beer bottles

On 9/9/2017 at 11:40 AM, madohe said:

I met one of my resident Foxsnakes the other day while trimming trees.

It was nappinng in the sun. When I woke it the fucker hissed at me a "rattled" its tail in the dry leaves.

It stood its ground, I left.

It was about a 4 footer........

You sure it wasn't an Eastern Hognose? That describes them perfectly.

BMiller - you can borrow my GSP. Her nickname isn't Godless Killing Machine for nothing. This summer involved about a dozen bunnies, a couple of dozen birds, some squirrels and a family of raccoons, which she took out in one hit, hundreds of bees, a cat, and lots more.. She kills lots (daily) and is extremely efficient.

If it's not a dog, a person or a cattle, it's a toy*. Shake shake. Hey Dad, this thing is broken!

*Except for one gray squirrel. She lets it live for some reason. It can walk 3 feet from the dog and she doesn't do a thing. I've named the squirrel Obi-Wan.

18 hours ago, chuso007 said:

At my dad's we used to put empty beer bottles upside down into the holes, apparently they made some kind of echo that pissed them off or confuse them or whatever. It worked until my mom got even more pissed off for having the yard full of beer bottles

Are you sure you were looking at a gopher-fighting strategy?

Sounds like it might have been a work/wife avoidance while beer-drinking strategy.

1 minute ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Are you sure you were looking at a gopher-fighting strategy?

Sounds like it might have been a work/wife avoidance while beer-drinking strategy.

Well, of course. That goes on with or without gophers,,,