• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
keelbolts

Tom Scott?

29 posts in this topic

I know Tom Scott took his bat & ball and went home, but, as a fellow Morgan 30 owner, I found his contributions helpful and I am concerned for him & Whimsy.  Anybody here know how to get hold of him or, at least, check on him now and/or after Irma passes up the coast?

24 minutes ago, eastern motors said:

Is he now "uncooperative Tom"

Huh?  Tom Scott JOINED January 1, 2013, LAST VISITED Yesterday at 07:44 AM

Uncooperative Tom: JOINED December 22, 2008. LAST VISITED 2 hours ago

Very different "voice"...   http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/190189-question-for-you-seasoned-vets/#comment-5914232

I guess this passes for the Cruising Anarchy thread on Irma?

Tom Scott's neighbor came out here today, got his trailer, and returned with his F-27, which is now in my driveway.

Tom was reportedly waiting a bit impatiently for him to get out so that Whimsy could be spiderwebbed across the canal.

22 minutes ago, eastern motors said:

If only he'd cooperate, you could ask "uncooperative Tom" to contact Tom Scott and suggest he makes a reappearance. We miss him.

37 minutes ago, eastern motors said:

No. Uncooperative Tom is the hardcore Suncat racer with a sketchy sheet of plywood out back. Ask him about his truck.

2 hours ago, keelbolts said:

I know Tom Scott took his bat & ball and went home, but, as a fellow Morgan 30 owner, I found his contributions helpful and I am concerned for him & Whimsy.  Anybody here know how to get hold of him or, at least, check on him now and/or after Irma passes up the coast?

What exactly do you mean? Was he insulted or belittled in some way?

1 minute ago, Bull City said:

What exactly do you mean? Was he insulted or belittled in some way?

Tom got all choked up by finding out that not everyone loved him. He blamed Ajax for being unkind. I was frankly amazed, Ajax is never unkind. However, it was enough to make Tom not only leave, but wipe out his entire thread, including all the hard work that many people put into it. I don't think that's normally possible, but some things were briefly possible during the changeover to the new forum software...like your "Bull City" instead of "Anarchist".

Damn! This must be a complete misunderstanding. Ajax has always been a complete gentleman, and Tom has always been cheerful and positive. Two of the nicest guys in SA, and that is saying something.

We need a bottle of whiskey and two glasses.

35 minutes ago, Bull City said:

We need a bottle of whiskey and two glasses

That's how bar fights get started.

I didn't know he'd left. I was also on here looking to see what he had to say about Irma and whether Whimsy would be safe. Very sad to hear he's gone from here. Hope the best for him

Darn, and I had finally gotten used to holding my phone at 25° when looking at his pics.

1 hour ago, Grey Dawn said:

That's how bar fights get started.

I didn't say anything about a bar. A couple of decent fellows should be able to clear the air while sipping a glass of good whiskey.

1 hour ago, SpongeDeckSquareFoil said:

Maybe he's busy buying a gimbal mount for the camera??

He had a pretty good gimbal mount, I found it on YouTube and didn't know it was his. That was one of the little gems that disappeared when the thread vanished.

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

I didn't say anything about a bar. A couple of decent fellows should be able to clear the air while sipping a glass of good whiskey.

Agree. Both decent fellows. 

I will buy the whiskey. 

Dammit!!! I have been looking for Tom's Morgan thread only to find out he left.  WTF?!!

I don't really fancy Morgan 30's or spend much time in Cruising Anarchy (or SA for that matter anymore) but his enthusiasm for the boat was infectious and pure. I respect his pride and attention to detail. He didn't need a state of the art racing machine and reveled in the simple joys of sailing.

Must say that I've always enjoyed Ajax's contributions as well for the same reasons.

Pity.

Whatever. Hope they both sail on happily and in Tom's case, good luck with Irma.

He'll be fine burying the rail in the salty seas. 

I liked his attitude

16 hours ago, Grey Dawn said:

If only he'd cooperate, you could ask "uncooperative Tom" to contact Tom Scott and suggest he makes a reappearance. We miss him.

I haven't spoken to him since he departed CA and didn't plan to bring it up. He knows we're here. He may return, may not.

Like Ish, I was pretty amazed when he left. Ajax was having a little fun with how much he heels his boat. I piled on. But I thought it all in good fun. It's a subject that has been beaten to death to the point where it's just a running joke. I guess it wasn't so funny to Tom but I'm sure Ajax, like me, was just having a bit of fun with him.

Same thing happened on TSBB. He was one of the top posters and took offense, packed up his stuff and left. 

36 minutes ago, Crusty said:

Same thing happened on TSBB. He was one of the top posters and took offense, packed up his stuff and left. 

Actually, he remained there but in exile, hanging with a few of the reprobates on the catboat forum. But no one notices the catboat forum, even spammers, so he was undetected. He eventually started posting on the main forum again.

Said it on another thread; I'll say it here. Sad to have lost his input and that thread. Member groups, forums, websites, and such can go a long way to keep a particular design alive and loved. Potential buyers want to know what they're looking at, which areas are likely to need attention, and that they're not alone as they work to maintain a 40+ year old boat. My blog remains, but I'm out of the Morgan 30 business and back to owning just the Cape Dory (for reasons that are on my blog), so I won't be able to add any new meaningful information/content to the site. Too bad.

This situation really surprises me - Tom seemed like someone who could hold his own against any sort of perceived sniping here.

Of all the people, Ajax??  I could totally understand a few of you deplorables, but Ajax???   Bummer.  I liked Tom.  I liked his thread.  

I liked him too, and it certainly wasn't my intent to drive him out. All I asked, was that he be a little more open minded to other people's points of view and not so fixed.

I'm rather surprised at the thin skinned response. Take a break for awhile? Sure, but to delete all your threads too? I certainly admired the love and attention he showered onto his boat, even if I did get tired of cranning my neck to watch his videos.

It's not like I went all "Lesbian Robot" on him. Sheesh.

18 hours ago, Ajax said:

I liked him too, and it certainly wasn't my intent to drive him out. All I asked, was that he be a little more open minded to other people's points of view and not so fixed.

I'm rather surprised at the thin skinned response. Take a break for awhile? Sure, but to delete all your threads too? I certainly admired the love and attention he showered onto his boat, even if I did get tired of cranning my neck to watch his videos.

It's not like I went all "Lesbian Robot" on him. Sheesh.

I think it was more likely your Avatar pic....