• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RKoch

Tom Scott and UnTom

52 posts in this topic

Hope y'all make it through without much damage. 

RKoch - I hope you also survive with little or no damage.

Today the wind was 10-12 from the east all day...pretty unusual for summer. Pretty clear. I think that was storm influenced, but not the storm itself. This evening, it's a bit overcast and the wind picked up to 15, gusting maybe 18 or 20. It should be pretty blustery in the morning...still east. Current track goes right over me. Streets are deserted, everyone is hunkered down. 

Thanks, all. I'm in Gainseville with good friends. My houses are very unlikely to be flooded even with the major surge projection. One is at 15', the other about 25'. No telling about wind damage. I have wind-rated windows but none are rated for low-flying oak trees.

We have several rental homes and I'm very worried about my tentants. They're closer to the coast and lower. One is in a great little house that's surrounded by three of the biggest oaks in the county. It barely needs air conditioning most of the year. Those oaks didn't fall and crush the house in Charlie. Hope they don't this time. He told me a couple of days ago he intended to stay, had nowhere to go. He has two big dogs. The house has steel shutters and giant wind breaks all around, as long as they don't fall. But it's low-lying. Not a place that would usually flood but this isn't a usual storm.

Tom Scott's neighbor told me yesterday that Whimsy was being tied in the canal. I offered extra long lines but they were not needed so it must be a heck of a web already. I expect Tom has the good sense to leave. He's in a great location for a sailboat, meaning his will be one of the first houses inundated if the surge gets that high.

Stay safe!

Well, here it is. Very blustery this morning...wind over 20, gusting  higher. Raining at the moment. Track didn't change overnight. Heard on radio that Naples already getting tropical storm force winds.

Be safe Kocher (and everyone else in the crosshairs)

We're all thinking good thoughts for you.

Watching and hoping the best for an all of FL. From the TV the eye is just about to pass Naples now. 

My entire family lives in Ft. Myers and Cape Coral.

Word is, they lost their trees and all the screened enclosures blew out but all structures are fine and nothing flooded. Based on this, I'm optimistic that Tom, Tom and Whimsy survived ok.

We haven't been home to Punta Gorda yet but heard our house survived and the boat did not sink.  Never lost power during the storm probably due to the hardening after Charley.  Very thankful.

I was at cocoa. We're ok. No power or water. Boat still a float and where I anchored it. Alot of folks and boats not so lucky here though.

Fingers crossed for all the CA guys down there that they came thru ok...we're thinking of you...

Update. I'm fine, storm made an early landfall south of Naples and took a more northerly course than forecast, so it went 60 miles to the east of me and weakened greatly. All I had was a very strong tropical storm. Brother was in an evacuation zone in Venice, so he went to sisters house north of Lakeland, where the storm went right over them. They and house fine, no power for a while though. Lots of wind damage (possibly tornados) in the area.

UnTom went to his brothers in Gainesville. Storm hit them, they lost power also. Tom's house in Punta Gorda is fine, and never lost power. Still, he lives on the water, and with what was forecast as a Cat 4 or possibly 5 forecast to make landfall nearby, evacuating was a sensible move for him. 

Have not heard about Tom Scott. Pretty sure he and his beloved boat are fine. 

Smackers boat hauled out in Ft Myers is fine.

Havent heard any mass boat casualty reports, though I haven't heard news from the Keys or Miami area. Boats on the west coast here are fine.

Glad to hear all is well.  Hopefully Tom and Whimsy also came out unscathed.

BOLO. I have friends who are looking for their boat that was last seen on mooring ball #1 at Fort ************ Yacht Basin. Initial report that it was safely tied up to a dock proved false.

Boat is a 1986 30' Catalina tall rig FL registration white with blue bottom name "My Syn".

If Tom Scott Is still reading this I want to tell him thank you.  Last year during Matthew I took a lot of water on the boat and everything got soaked.  I used a tip that he posted about how he got Whimsy ready for storms.  Painters tape over every nook and cranny where water might blow in.  My marina took a beating here in Jax And during and Irma I had virtually no water come in the boat. And no damage.   This old M30 lives to sail another day.

Thanks Tom Scott.

If someone knows him personally and can pass on my thanks it would be appreciated.

Seen some pictures of Key West Harbor. Nearly every boat is beached or sunk. Fazisi is on the beach...rig still up (surprisingly)...and may be salvageable. FB reports are Galleon Marina badly damaged...I'm guessing there's also damage at A&B Marina, Turtle Kraals, Pepe's, and Schooner Wharf.

Coconut Grove SC is badly damaged on first floor, and a large sailboat ashore on their lawn. Sounds like significant damage to Miami waterfront.

4 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

BOLO. I have friends who are looking for their boat that was last seen on mooring ball #1 at Fort ************ Yacht Basin. Initial report that it was safely tied up to a dock proved false.

Boat is a 1986 30' Catalina tall rig FL registration white with blue bottom name "My Syn".

I think I know that boat. If it's spelled "My Cyn" instead I do.

It lived in Punta Gorda Isles and was listed for sale by the owner of the brokerage where I worked for years. Tall rig and was probably worth the 30k asking price when first listed. It very much was not the last time I saw it. It remained untouched for years. No prep for Charlie but only lightly damaged. Buff right out, more or less. I guess if it was at Fort FatGrifter Yacht Basin, it must have finally sold.

13 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I think I know that boat. If it's spelled "My Cyn" instead I do.

It lived in Punta Gorda Isles and was listed for sale by the owner of the brokerage where I worked for years. Tall rig and was probably worth the 30k asking price when first listed. It very much was not the last time I saw it. It remained untouched for years. No prep for Charlie but only lightly damaged. Buff right out, more or less. I guess if it was at Fort FatGrifter Yacht Basin, it must have finally sold.

I did have the spelling wrong. The boat name is actually "My Cyn".

Thanks for the history UnTom, I'll pass it on. Be good to know if the new owners ever see their boat again.

So if your in the Fort ************ area...

BOLO for MyCyn.

Because there was a lawsuit between Dave M yers and the owner of the forum. To avoid further legal issues, they placed a word filter that blots it out, into the forum.

It's a long, tedious story.

Ah. Reducing legal billings resulting from auto-discovery creating a huge pile of meaningless (to the litigation) posts about Fort Mywhores from the forums, which would in turn have to be reviewed at a few hundred bucks an hour by a junior associate, I'm guessing.  Interesting.

Surprised then we can post about the Marblehead race without that word being altered to Martha's Bed or something.

Having raced in the PHRF NE's back in the day, and had the experience of seeing what large "Numbers" of pro's in matching kit could do in a 2 boat class, with a 50-80 point rating spread... 

Line 1
                                                             RACE
POS NUMBR YACHT NAME         TYPE   OWNER             HCAP  1  2  3  4  5  6  TOTAL
CLASS 1
  1 119   Numbers            CM 60  Dan *****          -87  1  1  1  1  1  1   3.8
  2 51515 Phoenix            ATL 50 Giff Hammar        -30  2  2  2  2  2  2  10.0

at least in 2006 there were a few more boats to be bundled into the class  

2006 PHRF-NE Championship Line 1
                                                              RACE
POS NUMBR YACHT NAME         TYPE   OWNER             HCAP  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  TOTAL
CLASS 1
  1 119   NUMBERS            CM60   DAN ******         -87  3  1  2  1  1  1  1   5.8
  2 40043 KATABATIC          TLR43  GORDON HALL         -6  1  2  3  2  2  2  2  10.8
  3 50939 BIG DOG PARTY      FR39ML PETER PRICE         12  2  3  1  3  3  3  3  14.8

31 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

We rode it out in the Little Shark River along with some other boats and boy is that a good hurricane hole. FYI

I've cruised there, and it struck me as a good hurricane hole.  Much preferrable to trying to ride one out at anchor or dock in Key West. 

Funny LSR story... one Christmas I gave my brother a set of hi-tech polypropylene long johns. He left a couple days later in an OB for a New Years fishing trip there. They beached the boat on a spring tide. Cold front went through, water level dropped, and they couldn't move the boat. Stuck there for several days. When he finally got home, called and thanked me for the long johns. Wore them the whole time, said he would have frozen his ass off without them.

Hell the bugs are at LSR year round. I'd expect that more a bother than any chill, ha ha

KW wasn't even on the radar. The other hole I think is ok is near The Jewfish Creek bridge on the north side. Trees are sorta tall and Largo at its widest there. Given the initial forecast, we figured we'd be on the 'good' side and further from the eye at LS than at Largo. As it happened, LS turned out to be the best possible choice IMO.

Maybe if I knew holes at FtM or thereabouts but I knew those 60+ foot tall mangroves at LS had to be pretty safe. And the area like a sponge so almost no surge, and that after the eye had passed and the wind went west. Mama Everglades sure protected us

IMO the best bet at FtM would be to find an oxbow up the Caloosahatchee River and tie off to the mangroves. Smacker's boat did fine hauled out, though the storm had weakened and shifted a little. 

Looking at the chart, I don't think I can get very far up the caloosahatchee? My stick is 61' off the water and I see a 55' bridge at coral IIRC. Amirite?

BTW gentle readers, I know of five boats which tried to outrun the storm. Two had to be rescued by the CG, one got stuck at the Marquesas, and two haven't been heard from AFAIK. I am becoming more convinced that one cannot outrun a hurricane. 

Yikes, the Caloosahatchee is rather shallow, nevermind the bridge. What's your draft?

2 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Looking at the chart, I don't think I can get very far up the caloosahatchee? My stick is 61' off the water and I see a 55' bridge at coral IIRC. Amirite?

BTW gentle readers, I know of five boats which tried to outrun the storm. Two had to be rescued by the CG, one got stuck at the Marquesas, and two haven't been heard from AFAIK. I am becoming more convinced that one cannot outrun a hurricane. 

There's several 55' bridges. No good for you, thinking smaller.

2 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Unless they have fled an approaching hurricane, there are rednecks at the low bridges who will tilt your boat and get it under for a fee.

Ajax is right that it's generally shallow but the channel is supposed to be at least 8' and was the last time I went through.

There is a boatyard right in the middle of the state where many boats go to die and it's a pretty safe place for a boat to be during a hurricane. Except for all the nearly-dead and ignored boats and their pieces that might fly around.

29 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

There is a boatyard right in the middle of the state where many boats go to die and it's a pretty safe place for a boat to be during a hurricane. Except for all the nearly-dead and ignored boats and their pieces that might fly around.

Is that the place up the Indian River?

I've been in touch with Tom Scott. Whimsy is fine. He did an outstanding job of securing her before the storm - and even secured some other boats so they wouldn't blow down on his.

He also went WAY above and beyond for me, spending a few hours checking on my boat.

He's a truly good friend.

Cheers Tom.

16 hours ago, RKoch said:

IMO the best bet at FtM would be to find an oxbow up the Caloosahatchee River and tie off to the mangroves. Smacker's boat did fine hauled out, though the storm had weakened and shifted a little. 

Yeah - and through Tom I found out she did fine IN SPITE of the yard. Turns out they didn't strap her down and didn't remove the solar panels as requested. I'll have an update video soon. I'm amazed that she did as well as she did...and amazed at what broke and what remained perfectly intact.

What was the max windspeed in FtM? Wasn't it over 100?

3 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Yeah, this is a debate I'm leading over on SN. There seem to be quite a few people who think they can outsmart and outrun a hurricane in a 4KSB. It's crazy.

4 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Yeah, this is a debate I'm leading over on SN. There seem to be quite a few people who think they can outsmart and outrun a hurricane in a 4KSB. It's crazy.

To can outrun a hurricane with a 4KNSB - but you need a big enough aircraft for it.

Orion-shell-on-Super-guppy.jpg

9 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

5 days out, the cone of uncertainty is 250 miles wide. To avoid hurricane force winds, have to sail 500 miles...pretty unlikely in a 4knsb. However, if anchored or docked in an exposed harbor, it makes perfect sense to move to a hurricane hole if it's under 100 miles. Max had a good one.

3 minutes ago, RKoch said:

5 days out, the cone of uncertainty is 250 miles wide. To avoid hurricane force winds, have to sail 500 miles...pretty unlikely in a 4knsb. However, if anchored or docked in an exposed harbor, it makes perfect sense to move to a hurricane hole if it's under 100 miles. Max had a good one.

Totally agree. It's those guys saying "all you have do is sail perpendicular to the path". Really, they say that...like they don't understand what spaghetti means.

Max - where did those guys sail out of and where were they heading?

35 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I've been in touch with Tom Scott. Whimsy is fine. He did an outstanding job of securing her before the storm - and even secured some other boats so they wouldn't blow down on his.

He also went WAY above and beyond for me, spending a few hours checking on my boat.

He's a truly good friend.

Cheers Tom.

Thanks for letting us know that Tom and Whimsy are fine. 

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

Yeah - and through Tom I found out she did fine IN SPITE of the yard. Turns out they didn't strap her down and didn't remove the solar panels as requested. I'll have an update video soon. I'm amazed that she did as well as she did...and amazed at what broke and what remained perfectly intact.

What was the max windspeed in FtM? Wasn't it over 100?

Yes, it was.

I have a cat, draft is 3' and tilting it under a bridge ain't gonna work

the boats were all out of boot Key harbor, the ones I know. One went west (Ended up in Marq. ), two went north and west (CG rescues) two were heading for Mexico (haven't heard)

the winds overhead had to be in the 130 range, we guess we had 100 gusts at water level, so I'd bet FtM had at least 100

4 hours ago, RKoch said:

Five days? There's  your problem. They should have left in May.