• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Shootist Jeff

A shoutout out to Tom Ray

7 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

90 replies? Really? How much time do you all think I have today?

I'm fine, my property is fine. And yes, I'm really Tom Ray.

As for the plywood table, I left it in place when I got scared of the storm and fled. It's pretty well secured by vines and is probably exactly where I left it.

Glad to hear you didn't get hit too bad. I think you dodged a bullet with those surface pipes though, of you still haven't buried them wind like that can get them flogging around, flood water pressure can do the same. Might consider burying them someday... :P 

8 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

90 replies? Really? How much time do you all think I have today?

I'm fine, my property is fine. And yes, I'm really Tom Ray.

As for the plywood table, I left it in place when I got scared of the storm and fled. It's pretty well secured by vines and is probably exactly where I left it.

Glad to hear it

groucho-HF1.jpg.45109a725fce9794fbe5be014672dd0e.jpg

Now say the secret word and you win a duck

Just remember that more people get hurt after the storm than during! Stay safe!

-DSK

Tired, end of the day, doing something dangerous with a chainsaw, slipped a little bit, and...

Decided to call it a day before I hurt myself.

That story usually has a very different ending. My cousin's husband wound up wearing a bag to shit in for a while after Andrew. His story began like mine.

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Tired, end of the day, doing something dangerous with a chainsaw, slipped a little bit, and...

That story usually has a very different ending. My cousin's husband wound up wearing a bag to shit in for a while after Andrew. His story began like mine.

My brother is an arborist. He's told this story with a different ending and likes to show my kids the scars. Good call and stay safe.

As they say, you may be a ass-hat but you're "our" ass-hat. ;)

44 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

My brother is an arborist. He's told this story with a different ending and likes to show my kids the scars. Good call and stay safe.

As they say, you may be a ass-hat but you're "our" ass-hat. ;)

At least your kids might listen to their Uncle.

9 hours ago, Mark K said:

Glad to hear you didn't get hit too bad. I think you dodged a bullet with those surface pipes though, of you still haven't buried them wind like that can get them flogging around, flood water pressure can do the same. Might consider burying them someday... :P 

Those were on my mind, just not enough.

In the past year, I have routed my 2" main line above ground in a few places, after getting an estimate from a leak detection company to find a leak that was "somewhere" in about 2,000 feet of buried pipe. Now it has a few above-ground shutoffs to better isolate leaks.

Meaning, a few above-ground targets for flying debris.

On the way out, I intended to shut off the outermost one but forgot. Fortunately, I had a neighbor who stayed and called him and he shut it off. Even more fortunately, it appears that was not needed.

More good news for me last night: all tenants and at least most rental homes are OK. There are two houses I don't know about yet but one is almost certainly OK and the other is a tiny house that's currently vacant and has only a tile floor inside, so even the worst can't be that bad.

Waiting for daylight and heading home today.

11 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

A lot of that from one end of the state to the other. Slow and steady (and safe) wins that race. Then kick back and listen to the smooth sounds of the generator orchestra, playing its one hit wonder. 

4 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Through all the looters and the massive social breakdown? 

Just now, jocal505 said:

Through all the looters and social breakdown?

There would be a few occupational hazards for looters at Toms place

10 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Those were on my mind, just not enough.

In the past year, I have routed my 2" main line above ground in a few places, after getting an estimate from a leak detection company to find a leak that was "somewhere" in about 2,000 feet of buried pipe. Now it has a few above-ground shutoffs to better isolate leaks.

Meaning, a few above-ground targets for flying debris.

On the way out, I intended to shut off the outermost one but forgot. Fortunately, I had a neighbor who stayed and called him and he shut it off. Even more fortunately, it appears that was not needed.

More good news for me last night: all tenants and at least most rental homes are OK. There are two houses I don't know about yet but one is almost certainly OK and the other is a tiny house that's currently vacant and has only a tile floor inside, so even the worst can't be that bad.

Like Sol said slow and steady. The to-do list will appear overwhelming because it fukin' is. Make a plan, divy it up into a checklists, and don't give a rip about anything beyond the item you're on.

Slow, steady and don't think too much...equals fast a surprising amount of the time. Good luck.

10 hours ago, jocal505 said:

Through all the looters and the massive social breakdown? 

Funny you should mention that. Gasoline was scarce along the interstate today and there were a couple of ugly rumors floating around of people stealing gas, assaulting others over it, etc. A friend texted me to let me know and we kept a gun handy.

Then got to SR 54 in Tampa. Was second in line for fuel. Saw a cop walk by. She looked bored.

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Funny you should mention that. Gasoline was scarce along the interstate today and there were a couple of ugly rumors floating around of people stealing gas, assaulting others over it, etc. A friend texted me to let me know and we kept a gun handy.

Then got to SR 54 in Tampa. Was second in line for fuel. Saw a cop walk by. She looked bored.

Life is good. I hope you get to pick up a normal lifestyle, that you dodged a bullet. Go get 'em.

On 9/12/2017 at 4:30 PM, Mark K said:

Like Sol said slow and steady. The to-do list will appear overwhelming because it fukin' is. Make a plan, divy it up into a checklists, and don't give a rip about anything beyond the item you're on.

Slow, steady and don't think too much...equals fast a surprising amount of the time. Good luck.

I'm not killing myself, though it did feel like it briefly today when I was laying on an asphalt roof during the hottest part of the day.

But I did succeed in re-mounting the satellite dish. Doesn't sound like a big deal. We got TV back. But it is. My 95 year old mother-in-law has Alzheimers and needs her routines and TV is a big part of her day. She tried to turn it on every few minutes. My wife told her I hadn't hooked it back up yet. Then a few more minutes would go by. This has gone on since we got home yesterday afternoon. My wife couldn't take it much longer.

It didn't work on my first guess at aiming it but did on the second try.

I'm worried about the rescue crews and relief workers in the Keys. They can't take it easy and will make mistakes.

39 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'm not killing myself, though it did feel like it briefly today when I was laying on an asphalt roof during the hottest part of the day.

But I did succeed in re-mounting the satellite dish. Doesn't sound like a big deal. We got TV back. But it is. My 95 year old mother-in-law has Alzheimers and needs her routines and TV is a big part of her day. She tried to turn it on every few minutes. My wife told her I hadn't hooked it back up yet. Then a few more minutes would go by. This has gone on since we got home yesterday afternoon. My wife couldn't take it much longer.

I'm worried about the rescue crews and relief workers in the Keys. They can't take it easy and will make mistakes.

Roofing, the original hot yoga. People pay good money to do that stuff. 

12 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Speaking of the Keys, Tom - or anyone else in the area - any idea how badly things were hurt down around Marathon?  Got a friend down there, and haven't been able to reach him since the storm. 

It's bad all the way up and down the Keys. If I had to be down there during this storm, upper Keys would have been better than lower.

Outside of hurricanes, every mile closer to Mile Zero is a mile further from Miami, which can only be good. Until you have to wonder about each and every bridge between you and high ground...

3 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Speaking of the Keys, Tom - or anyone else in the area - any idea how badly things were hurt down around Marathon?  Got a friend down there, and haven't been able to reach him since the storm. 

Supposedly the HAM network is relaying communications, does your friend have an SSB?

FB- Doug

9 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

It's bad all the way up and down the Keys. If I had to be down there during this storm, upper Keys would have been better than lower.

Outside of hurricanes, every mile closer to Mile Zero is a mile further from Miami, which can only be good. Until you have to wonder about each and every bridge between you and high ground...

Word is that they've checked all the bridges, and they are fine. Cell service was gone but is slowly starting to come back. Water, nope. Electric, nope. Sewer, nope. Cudjoe was ground zero, but everything down there got hammered. Recovery will take a while, but I bet that in two weeks time, we will see amazing progress. 

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

Supposedly the HAM network is relaying communications, does your friend have an SSB?

FB- Doug

I honestly don't know  - they do some volunteer work on Pigeon Key - the little place on the old portion of the 7 mile bridge that's a marine research/education facility, and I'm sure are much too busy with urgent matters to be worried about sending status reports to distant friends. 

11 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I honestly don't know  - they do some volunteer work on Pigeon Key - the little place on the old portion of the 7 mile bridge that's a marine research/education facility, and I'm sure are much too busy with urgent matters to be worried about sending status reports to distant friends. 

They would have evacuated Pigeon, I hope. They are letting residents back but the word is that if you are upper keys, go. If you are lower or middle, forget it for now. Roads are passable, but extreme self sufficiency will be required. 

Otoh, that was a couple of days ago, and the military is bringing c130s in now, to Marathon and I think Boca Chica NAS. So that situation could be rapidly improving. We've seen Chinooks flying south all week. That's the key. Andrew taught us that a military presence along with some food and drink, and a fresh change of clothes now and again can keep the place from going Lord of the flies. 

Speaking of that last bit, we have little shitbags driving through our neighborhood looking for stuff to steal. One got caught roaming through a neighbor's back yard. Wrong hood to try that shit. The worst in human nature on display, which is the most depressing part. 

2 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

They would have evacuated Pigeon, I hope. They are letting residents back but the word is that if you are upper keys, go. If you are lower or middle, forget it for now. Roads are passable, but extreme self sufficiency will be required. 

Otoh, that was a couple of days ago, and the military is bringing c130s in now, to Marathon and I think Boca Chica NAS. So that situation could be rapidly improving. We've seen Chinooks flying south all week. That's the key. Andrew taught us that a military presence along with some food and drink, and a fresh change of clothes now and again can keep the place from going Lord of the flies. 

He lives just north of Marathon - and takes the boat out to Pigeon when he's not doing admin stuff at the house.  Hope things survived on the island, he was excited about my HS Senior daughter's AP Bio class coming down for a weeklong project in March.  They may be rebuilding instead of playing with turtles at this point - but, that'd still be a good project for them. 

They took a hard hit there for sure. There are some communications I've seen out of key west (the Red Garter Saloon is still standing and the Green Parrot is fine, but the mahogany tree at Pepe's fell over on the building), and some from Key Largo and Islamorada, so I expect cell service to close that gap from either end in rapid fashion. 

23 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

He lives just north of Marathon - and takes the boat out to Pigeon when he's not doing admin stuff at the house.  Hope things survived on the island, he was excited about my HS Senior daughter's AP Bio class coming down for a weeklong project in March.  They may be rebuilding instead of playing with turtles at this point - but, that'd still be a good project for them. 

Latest on the keys. 

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article173271346.html

says that Marathon is a staging area for first responders, so communications there will take a while. 

And the Green Parrot is open. Not for drinks. They have a working phone and are letting people call home. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article173285056.html

how long before some drunk Conch shows up to phone home wearing an ET outfit? Prolly already happened. 

25 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Latest on the keys. 

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article173271346.html

says that Marathon is a staging area for first responders, so communications there will take a while. 

Ugghgh - those poor folks, and the ones in Houston, have got a long tough row to hoe.  

24 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

I suspect BLM or ANTIFA was responsible.

looks like someone shot the 'cane with a .22, and the 'cane threw it back.

Unrelated hijack:

When I was in high school, a friend's dad was a doc at the University of Miami and he got us one of the dorms on Pigeon Key for spring break. We drove three boats down from Miami for the week and had a blast. We even had T-Shirts made. Mine has long since been retired but a friend came across an original one in storage the other day and posted it on FB. Good times. The weather sucked that week but we were kids with boats and our own island in the Keys.

Pigeon Key would have probably been an extremely bad place to be during Irma and Marathon not a lot better. Anyone who remained in Monroe County flunked their sanity test.

13 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

They took a hard hit there for sure. There are some communications I've seen out of key west (the Red Garter Saloon is still standing and the Green Parrot is fine, but the mahogany tree at Pepe's fell over on the building), and some from Key Largo and Islamorada, so I expect cell service to close that gap from either end in rapid fashion. 

The old tree at Pepe's fell over????  Shit!  Best pre-race breakfast I've ever had was there.

4 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

The old tree at Pepe's fell over????  Shit!  Best pre-race breakfast I've ever had was there.

Yup. That patio is one of my top five places in the world. A Pepe's steak omelette, bread of the day, coffee and a shot of Mt. Gay, and the never ending struggle to keep food, drink and self out of range of the bombing birds...the perfect start to a KW day.