• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
er111a

Let's discuss the Environment!

Hello! I am an Environmental Science Major. As such I am heavily invested in the Environmental Sciences. I am right now in the beginning stages to form a nonprofit organization to spread awareness about issues plaguing our current society. I would love for any of you to consider following this page and or sharing this page. I plan to post daily news and posts about current, past, and future issues.
Thank you!
https://www.facebook.com/EnvironmentalAdvancedSciences/

37 minutes ago, er111a said:

Hello! I am an Environmental Science Major. As such I am heavily invested in the Environmental Sciences. I am right now in the beginning stages to form a nonprofit organization to spread awareness about issues plaguing our current society. I would love for any of you to consider following this page and or sharing this page. I plan to post daily news and posts about current, past, and future issues.
Thank you!

Warbird has a point ... are your studies at all concerned what happens outside of the environment?

Bloody hell, another one.

This does have several surprisingly informational moments, so watch it all the way through.

Edited by Ishmael
termites

I think it's good that an environmental sciences major is invested in.......environmental sciences....heavily.....I mean instead of.....say coal mines.........

4 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I think it's good that an environmental sciences major is invested in.......environmental sciences....heavily.....I mean instead of.....say coal mines.........

Coal is OK if they wash it, right? I bet the Inuit wished they had coal fireplaces and stuff. Of course, their igloos would have melted.

41 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Or being a judge.

4 hours ago, er111a said:

I am right now in the beginning stages to form a nonprofit organization to spread awareness about issues plaguing our current society. 

Like ill-informed university students who have never spend a minute in the real world spreading the bullshit cult of climate change alarmism?

Judging by your post perhaps a little grade school level attention to sentence construction might be more helpful in you finding gainful employment someday.

Same a people cycling around Australia for Cancer Research with all the profits donated.  But the costs are covered first.  Great way to see to the world and have others pay for your adventure.

Global warming, climate change and all the other iterations. 

How many ways can the poor old bastard be beaten?

WTDnnwE.gif

dead-horse-gif-10.gif

tumblr_ns9rmhX7LS1uxle3jo1_500.gif

dead-horse-gif-13.gif?fit=320%2C240

xZXXBp.gif

beating-dead-horse-gif-17.gif?resize=300%2C180

11 hours ago, er111a said:

Thank you!

Let me ask your advice. Several months ago I bought (from China) several gross of plastic, ink filled pens wrapped in old sailing line.

No one bought a single one. What's the best way to recycle these? I can't even get the Detroit Public Schools to take them as a donation. 

9 hours ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

How do you form and live off  a non profit? Sounds a bit like carving air. 

Or making little rocks out of big ones?  bienvenido borracho!  hope you are well.  

Damn, you guys are rude - can't give the little tyke even a sliver of help?   Here you go, "er111a".  Study this. Every page of it, and take notes. It'll help you clarify what a young man in your position should be looking for; how you get there is your business but the end game is an important driver in this quest.

12 hours ago, random said:

Same a people cycling around Australia for Cancer Research with all the profits donated.  But the costs are covered first.  Great way to see to the world and have others pay for your adventure.

Or get a hot GF, a catamaran and a patron account. A lot more fun than hanging around with a bunch of bearded, smelly, unemployable wanna be Ecco warriors.  

I'm outside the environment.

But as one looking in I would say there are way too many people in the environment. Pretty much on the way to becoming a petroleum layer somewhere down the gelogical time continuum. Its just a social circus doomed to extinction at this point. At least thats what I tell my wife whenever I want pussy and she wants to watch suits. Luckily I also have my technique as a continuous process improvement deal. We are almost at 3 to 1 on the orgasm scoreboard on a per session basis. Unfortunately this tends to lengthen the time between sessions forcing me to work on social technique to close the gap. I'm doomed to the current equilibrium. 

Anyway back to your environment. Beats mars and venus by an astounding margin. Enjoy. All you can do is try to save some wild fish for your great grandchildren. Good luck.

On 9/10/2017 at 3:18 PM, er111a said:

Thank you!

Fuck off, show us yer tits and buy an ad.

36 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

But as one looking in I would say there are way too many people in the environment. Pretty much on the way to becoming a petroleum layer somewhere down the gelogical time continuum. Its just a social circus doomed to extinction at this point. At least thats what I tell my wife whenever I want pussy and she wants to watch suits. Luckily I also have my technique as a continuous process improvement deal. We are almost at 3 to 1 on the orgasm scoreboard on a per session basis. Unfortunately this tends to lengthen the time between sessions forcing me to work on social technique to close the gap. I'm doomed to the current equilibrium. 

Anyway back to your environment. Beats mars and venus by an astounding margin. Enjoy. All you can do is try to save some wild fish for your great grandchildren. Good luck.

So THAT's why they call it Mavericks...

48 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Who's on the upside of the orgasm chart? That could theoretically impact your future erotic scorecard in negative ways.

On 9/11/2017 at 11:18 AM, er111a said:

Hello! I am an Environmental Science Major. As such I am heavily invested in the Environmental Sciences. 

A student loan is hardly investing heavily.

7 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Heres a hint. I am a male human, married. 

Marriage is supposed to be an equal partnership.

I gave up dart league nights, drinking with the guys, my motorcycle and football sundays (all day),

All she gave up was sex.

9 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

how good are you at saying "would you like fries with that"?

....winner.....

funny as hell, right after seeing this yesterday, one of our young engineers came up to me and mentioned he had taken classes in environmental science and wasn't I worried about being part of the generation that caused the problem.....

I shocked him when I said yeah we are the generation that created your generation..... LOL 

last time he talked to me it was telling me how he actually thought his Prius (not kidding) looked pretty cool. I told him the only thing that would make it look cool would be if it got ran over by a monster truck. LOL the next day he unknowingly parked next to me. (I drive a truck) I asked if he was just trying to tempt me. LOL 

10 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Heres a hint. I am a male human, married. 

So you've read "The One-Minute Lover" book?  Was it as quick to read as "The One-Minute Manager?"

On 9/11/2017 at 1:47 AM, the_abandoned_brane said:

How do you form and live off  a non profit? Sounds a bit like carving air. 

The nonprofits can't show a profit, that doesn't apply to the directors and employees, they can make huge salaries ... the company often gets pro-bono services, tax-free status, and big donations. That money has to go somewhere.

Anyway, where did the OP go? Did he already fuck off to buy a Hummer and burn some mesquite in the sausage grill?

50 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Anyway, where did the OP go? Did he already fuck off to buy a Hummer and burn some mesquite in the sausage grill?

Ist is dinnere time hearre, mabey foure hime to.

10 hours ago, avenger79 said:

funny as hell, right after seeing this yesterday, one of our young engineers came up to me and mentioned he had taken classes in environmental science and wasn't I worried about being part of the generation that caused the problem.....

I shocked him when I said yeah we are the generation that created your generation..... LOL 

last time he talked to me it was telling me how he actually thought his Prius (not kidding) looked pretty cool. I told him the only thing that would make it look cool would be if it got ran over by a monster truck. LOL the next day he unknowingly parked next to me. (I drive a truck) I asked if he was just trying to tempt me. LOL 

So you belong to the generation that finishes every sentence with LOL. (LOL)

If he thought the Prius looked cool, then to him it does, and there's nothing that you can do to change that.  BTW I doubt very much that you shocked him with that comeback, it would have just confirmed what he already thought of you.

3 minutes ago, random said:

BTW I doubt very much that you shocked him with that comeback, it would have just confirmed what he already thought of you.

Ille adgreede withe thisse......                     :)

11 hours ago, random said:

So you belong to the generation that finishes every sentence with LOL. (LOL)

If he thought the Prius looked cool, then to him it does, and there's nothing that you can do to change that.  BTW I doubt very much that you shocked him with that comeback, it would have just confirmed what he already thought of you.

well guess you got me on that one...ooh that hurt. 

I didn't mean to try and change his opinion of his car, was simply telling him my opinion of it. I am allowed an opinion correct? 

Yes the response of creating his generation did "shock" him as it took him a bit to come up with a response. admittedly "shock" may have been too strong a term to use. 

I'm all enthusiastic about energy efficiency. "efficiency" means doing the same thing with less energy. If I want to spin my wheels and create a cloud of blue smoke, a Prius is not going to get that done, so I need a car with a fucking big, power plant in it. I'm happy for that fucking big motor to be efficient, or electric, or powered by aliens - I just don't care so long as I get blue smoke if I want blue smoke.

I'm not about saving energy by doing without - that's simply retrograde and cheating. Plus, it might make you look dorky, or get killed by a truck driver who is frustrated with you hyper-miling at 53.5mph in the fast lane of the freeway at rush hour.

The best eco-non-profit would be one that promotes the continued growth of power-based fun and stupidity, but efficiently.

23 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

or get killed by a truck driver who is frustrated with you hyper-miling at 53.5mph in the fast lane of the freeway at rush hour..

A mid May backpacking trip had us driving from LA to the Grand Canyon in 89 or 90. 85 to 90mph across the CA and AZ desert in 95 to 100 degree temps. AC blasting and good (for the times) music on the stereo. Mrs WB and I had a pleasant trip. One fellow back packer arrived hours later looking wrung out. He happily explained that he got 30 something mpg in his Volvo 240 driving 45mph the whole way with windows open:lol: YCMTSU

I really hope that in future humanity will stop to destroy environment. When I read about that massive pollutiion of air, water and soil, I feel really scared... The same is in case of killing so many animals for food industry, it's awful. I don't judge the ones who like to eat meat (I'm the same) but it would be so nice to find some alternative ways for getting food, besides I read about big farms and how animals are raised there, well, it seems that meat from such farms isn't good for health at all :mellow:
And alternative energy resources is a very good idea, especially considering that some fuels can't be recycled fast.

Wonder if he has a man bun bitch handle. 

On 9/10/2017 at 9:18 PM, er111a said:

Thank you!

Before you come to accept any conclusions your professors cram down your throat in exchange for a better grade....take 4 quarters of Geology ....for comparative perspective...

5 hours ago, Adelsten said:

I really hope that in future humanity will stop to destroy environment. When I read about that massive pollutiion of air, water and soil, I feel really scared... The same is in case of killing so many animals for food industry, it's awful. I don't judge the ones who like to eat meat (I'm the same) but it would be so nice to find some alternative ways for getting food, besides I read about big farms and how animals are raised there, well, it seems that meat from such farms isn't good for health at all :mellow:
And alternative energy resources is a very good idea, especially considering that some fuels can't be recycled fast.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/wind-turbines-are-neither-clean-nor-green-and-they-provide-zero-global-energy/

5 hours ago, Adelsten said:

How many wind turbines equal the output of 1 nuclear reactor ?

A typical nuclear power plant produces 1,000 megwatts of electricity per hour.

At 25 megawatts to 1500 acres for a nice wind farm of 60 to 70 turbines, you would need 60,000 acres and 2400 to 2800 wind turbines to equal 1,000 megawatts. Of course, these wind turbines only produce that much power when the wind is blowing just right. That only happens about 25% of the time, so you really need four times as many wind turbines and four times as much space to produce, on average, 1,000 megawatts of electricity per hour. So that's, 240,000 acres and 9,600 to 11,200 turbines. 240,000 acres is 375 square miles.

At 5 acres of solar panels per megawatt, you need 5,000 acres of solar panels to equal 1,000 megawatts of electricity. Those solar panels only work at peak power levels during the sunny times, so, on average, they only put out about 25% of their rated capacity. That means you really need 20,000 acres of solar panels to generate 1,000 megwatts of electricity per hour, on average. 20,000 acres is 31.25 square miles.

We aren't going to put them anywhere. They are way too expensive and they don't provide a stable enough power supply to rely on. Anyplace with enough open spaces, enough wind or sun shine to be a good candidate is too far away from the east and west coasts where that power is needed most.

By comparison, the Fermi nuclear power plant near Monroe, Michigan sits on a site of about 2 square miles and produces 1,150 megawatts of electricity 24 hours a day for 18 months straight. Then it needs to be shut down for a month for maintenance and refueling and it can go right back to making power 24 hours a day, rain or shine. They are even thinking about adding another reactor that will double the output of the plant on the same amount of land.

2 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

At 5 acres of solar panels per megawatt, you need 5,000 acres of solar panels to equal 1,000 megawatts of electricity. Those solar panels only work at peak power levels during the sunny times, so, on average, they only put out about 25% of their rated capacity. That means you really need 20,000 acres of solar panels to generate 1,000 megwatts of electricity per hour, on average. 20,000 acres is 31.25 square miles.

Old thinking.

The future is distributed power generation. 

• The domestic market is voting with their wallets and most new houses have solar panels and many are installing batteries now.
  • Investors are refusing to invest in fossil fuel generation, coal cunts are trying to get the government to pay for it
  • Nuclear is a too expensive and the lead and tail times are ridiculous.  It cannot compete and will never be used in Australia even though we have Uranium reserves.
  • Pumped hydo and any other storage of renewable power is the future, no shortage of the shit.
  • Power generation is being 'democratised' while the old barons are squabbling over the ashes of what's left.

Fuckwits like you are the problem.

how-many-solar-panels-to-power-australia

4Corners is an Australian ABC current affairs program that is running report Monday night on Adani's activities in Australia and India.  It going to lift the lid on the stinking fossil fuel corruption and put another nail in the coffin of that industry.

8 hours ago, Adelsten said:

Fuck that,  I got shit to do.....Clear-cut and Blacktop I say!

Solar is a scam...they sell (are mandated to be compensated for)  the minuscule about into the grid, a grid that they don't own or pay to maintain, that combined with complex tax schedules tilted in their favor  ....not to mention both Solar farms and wind farms are a blight upon the landscape 

12 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Solar farms and wind farms are a blight upon the landscape 

Hahahahaaaaaa

coal-fired-power-station-aerial-view-lar

OR

Willersey_Solar_Farm_Logo-1024x576.jpg

45 minutes ago, random said:

Hahahahaaaaaa

coal-fired-power-station-aerial-view-lar

OR

Willersey_Solar_Farm_Logo-1024x576.jpg

first picture...condensation...providing electricity for hundreds of square miles and millions of people and industries....bottom picture....maybe could support 30 homes.....back in the day I spent outrageous amounts of money outfitting solar panels for spartan offshore sailing (no refridg....plenty of reefer)....so disappointed   ....it simply is a fraud !

another plus.... we can use the spent nuclear rods in the "Wall"....

Except that solar panels don't create radioactive waste, like coal does.

Coal Ash Is More Radioactive Than Nuclear Waste

"the waste produced by coal plants is actually more radioactive than that generated by their nuclear counterparts. In fact, the fly ash emitted by a power plant—a by-product from burning coal for electricity—carries into the surrounding environment 100 times more radiation than a nuclear power plant producing the same amount of energy. "

Has anyone considered how we are supposed to get all this wind and solar generated electricity the thousands of miles/km from where it is generated to the poulation centers? I get it in europe cause you are not that far away from anything. How does a wind farm in N dakota, wyoming or Okahoma get its energy to the population centers of the eastern seaboard. Or a solar farm  in NW Australia get its enery to the eastern Seaboad and the majority of the population.

10 minutes ago, vibroman said:

Has anyone considered how we are supposed to get all this wind and solar generated electricity the thousands of miles/km from where it is generated to the poulation centers? I

Yeah, it's happening too.

For domestic use each house looks after itself. 

off-grid-solar-systems-1.png

For industrial use each industry looks after itself

img_2871.jpg&w=800&q=85

Apple has pioneered using solar, starting in a time when solar wasn't so cheap or easy to get.

BECAUSE!

"More than 40 per cent of power price hikes in the past decade were due to costs associated with network infrastructure, such as power poles, he said.

Other causes were higher retail costs, which contributed 24 per cent to prices hikes, generation costs (19 per cent) and green scheme costs (16 per cent)."

SO much for the claims that renewable support has been the cause of the massive price rises.  The part I like is that the more the price goes up, the more people invest in renewables!  The old industry, the monopoly is fucked, awesome.

I for one am not going to relocate to the desert or windy wyoming to get electricity. I’ll stick to the nice modern alternating current thank you. As you quite rightly pointed out up thread Nuclear is far cleaner than coal. With mercedes now creating F1 engines exceeding 50% thermal efficiency it likely wont be long before road cars improve their efficiencies as well. There is still hope for petrol heads.

Kid

let me give you some advice.

1. you are late to the game.   Lots of PHD flunkies are way ahead of you, and with the new administration defunding the EPA, the competition is going to get fierce.   You are investing in a dead end job.

2. Setting up a non-profit with no real goal is a grifter game and all the adults know it.  I work for large global multinational. Pricks have been sending our jobs offshore and firing hard working stiffs to save money for years.  When a couple environmental jack offs  score millions to sail an idiot catamaran made of old soda bottles across the pacific to raise awareness of what I am not sure while we are stiffed for raises yet again, along with  no training or new equipment, well we hate hate those cock suckers.  Nothing but a corporate write off to counter bad press.

3. There is money out there, and you can even travel.  My wife worked for a large environment engineering company.  They designed solutions for major problems in Eastern Europe and were very successful.  They did well and helped clean up a metric shitload of poisoned land.  China has money and lots of environmental issues.  Open market.

So use your degree and work ethic to design something that benefits the world.  Find investors and soon you will have achieved your goals and become a rich person. That would be great.

But to start a non-profit that just raises awareness?   Too many already.  Same for all the losers starting lame ass museums nobody gives a rats ass about.

DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR LIFE

Remember there is No reboot..

10 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

Kid

let me give you some advice.

1. you are late to the game.   Lots of PHD flunkies are way ahead of you, and with the new administration defunding the EPA, the competition is going to get fierce.   You are investing in a dead end job.

2. Setting up a non-profit with no real goal is a grifter game and all the adults know it.  I work for large global multinational. Pricks have been sending our jobs offshore and firing hard working stiffs to save money for years.  When a couple environmental jack offs  score millions to sail an idiot catamaran made of old soda bottles across the pacific to raise awareness of what I am not sure while we are stiffed for raises yet again, along with  no training or new equipment, well we hate hate those cock suckers.  Nothing but a corporate write off to counter bad press.

3. There is money out there, and you can even travel.  My wife worked for a large environment engineering company.  They designed solutions for major problems in Eastern Europe and were very successful.  They did well and helped clean up a metric shitload of poisoned land.  China has money and lots of environmental issues.  Open market.

So use your degree and work ethic to design something that benefits the world.  Find investors and soon you will have achieved your goals and become a rich person. That would be great.

But to start a non-profit that just raises awareness?   Too many already.  Same for all the losers starting lame ass museums nobody gives a rats ass about.

DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR LIFE

Remember there is No reboot..

I liked reading that....

3 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Solar is a scam...they sell (are mandated to be compensated for)  the minuscule about into the grid, a grid that they don't own or pay to maintain, that combined with complex tax schedules tilted in their favor  ....not to mention both Solar farms and wind farms are a blight upon the landscape 

I don't know what the Landlady pays for the 20 year lease for the unseen solar panels on the roof of our 1,000 sq. ft apartment in New England, but it costs us nearly a couple grand less for electricity each year, than our former 2,400 sq. ft home with oil heat. I even think renting might be better than owning now.  Brother lives in a similar sized condo of comparable value with no mortgage, and his costs for taxes, condo fees, are about the same as our rent, and we don't pay any maintenance, just utiliies same as him, but he has air to air heat vent with electric back up for HVAC.  So our electric is $20 a month and he is $175 average.  I keep forgetting to ask her what the lease on the solar array and ancilliaries is running.  We have a two way meter to electric utility, so when the solar makes more than we use the meter runs backwards.

6 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I don't know what the Landlady pays for the 20 year lease for the unseen solar panels on the roof of our 1,000 sq. ft apartment in New England, but it costs us nearly a couple grand less for electricity each year, than our former 2,400 sq. ft home with oil heat. I even think renting might be better than owning now.  Brother lives in a similar sized condo of comparable value with no mortgage, and his costs for taxes, condo fees, are about the same as our rent, and we don't pay any maintenance, just utiliies same as him, but he has air to air heat vent with electric back up for HVAC.  So our electric is $20 a month and he is $175 average.  I keep forgetting to ask her what the lease on the solar array and ancilliaries is running.  We have a two way meter to electric utility, so when the solar makes more than we use the meter runs backwards.

taxpayers should have their hands out for your "savings"....

in a nutshell....none of the "alternative energy" scams can stand alone...Gawd...it is simple math...what a scam !

32 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I even think renting might be better than owning now. 

I've been hearing that and seeing detailed rationales for it my entire adult life.

To put it succinctly, it's bullshit. My house has increased in value until it's now worth 7 figures - maybe multiple 7 figures.

A renter would have the privilege of paying me 5 or 6 grand a month, maybe more, to live in it and they would have zero assets to show for it.

That rent VS own "argument" is predicated on the false notion that renting costs less than owning and the renter then puts the difference into the investment market - which they never do.

I challenge anyone to provide the financial details of 1/2 dozen people who rented all their lives who ended up with even a fraction of the net worth of a typical homeowner. Maybe it can be done in some small towns with low real estate values but not typically.

12 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I've been hearing that and seeing detailed rationales for it my entire adult life.

To put it succinctly, it's bullshit. My house has increased in value until it's now worth 7 figures - maybe multiple 7 figures.

A renter would have the privilege of paying me 5 or 6 grand a month, maybe more, to live in it and they would have zero assets to show for it.

That rent VS own "argument" is predicated n the false notion that renting costs less than owning and the renter then puts the difference into the investment market - which they never do.

I challenge anyone to provide the financial details of 1/2 dozen people who rented all their lives who ended up with even a fraction of the net worth of a typical homeowner. Maybe it can be done in some small towns with low real estate values but not typically.

We had a house that appreciated from 350 to 7 figures, in 12 years, partly from a 250k total renovation and large addition in 02-03. Then both our incomes evaporated 10 years ago for 5 years, and it became a short sale, paying the deficiency off over ten years, no interest.  Still, we have 16 rental condos that should be worth a couple mill when the kids inherit, so we have retirement income aplenty coming soon, and can dig renting for quite a while. 4 units will be paid to zero next year, and 8 more the following year.  So, I agree with you in the main, and disagree in part.  Everyone (especially the Missus)  told me to sell the rental properties to keep the primary, but that was foolish advice which I did not heed.

1 hour ago, vibroman said:

Has anyone considered how we are supposed to get all this wind and solar generated electricity the thousands of miles/km from where it is generated to the poulation centers? I get it in europe cause you are not that far away from anything. How does a wind farm in N dakota, wyoming or Okahoma get its energy to the population centers of the eastern seaboard. Or a solar farm  in NW Australia get its enery to the eastern Seaboad and the majority of the population.

step+up+and+step+down+transformer.jpg

as you steppe up the powere to hi KVs resistentes droppes off dramacticalley, transmission lines become morre efficiente.

longue as grid is powerred up annybod ey cane drawe on it.

3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

as you steppe up the powere to hi KVs resistentes droppes off dramacticalley, transmission lines become morre efficiente.

snag.jpg

In sunny parts of the world (most of it) you can either let the sun heat up your roof then buy power to drive the aircon to cool the house down.   OR  You could cover the roof with solar panels that shade to roof and turn the energy falling on the panels, that costs nothing, into power for the house to use.

It's a concept that is very hard to argue against now that the setup costs have fallen dramatically.  But then we have fuckwits here who for what ever reason, continue to try.

46 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

snag.jpg

That's funny.  But I do have an Atmos clock that is really a perpetual motion machine.  Works on changing temp or air pressure. Grandpas retirement gift from Uniroyal around 1960 or so.

http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/en/watches/atmos.html?&mid=7935gi13950&mkwid=sV3dEL7bG_dc&pcrid=127259219600&kword=atmos clock&match=e&plid=&gclid=CJrGoMzmy9YCFZBWDQod6XYHXg

8 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Snags

even at 750kV the AC line losses make it too inefficient to transmit more than 300-400 miles or so. Thats why the generation has to be fairly close to the consumer.

4 minutes ago, vibroman said:

Snags

even at 750kV the AC line losses make it too inefficient to transmit more than 300-400 miles or so. Thats why the generation has to be fairly close to the consumer.

High-Voltage DC Breakthrough Could Boost Renewable Energy

An updated, high-voltage version of DC, called HVDC, is being touted as the transmission method of the future because of its ability to transmit current over very long distances with fewer losses than AC. And that trend may be accelerated by a new device called a hybrid HVDC breaker, which may make it possible to use DC on large power grids without the fear of catastrophic breakdown that stymied the technology in the past. (See related photos: "World's Worst Power Outages.")

Swiss-based power technology and automation giant ABB, which developed the breaker, says it may also prove critical to the 21st century's transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy sources, by tapping the full potential of massive wind farms and solar generating stations to provide electricity to distant cities.

Old news

DC tie lines have been in use for some time. There are several in the US besides the one cited in the article

the hvdc “breaker” they are describing is simply an inverter that converts dc to ac. The problem is one of scale. Inverters exist today and are in common usage in industry up to 10 megawatts or so. To get the gigawatts needed we have to currently use a motor generator set to convert on both ends which is where we lose the efficiency. If you generate DC you have to convert to ac step up, convert back to dc, transmit, convert to ac, step down, distribute. Each conversion involves losses even if we use the hvdc “breaker”. The other issue is these inverters create all kinds of electrical noise which can and does damage electrical equipment and in some cases motor bearings. Currently a big reliaility issue in industry.

Uh huh ... so your statement about distribution of renewable energy falls to pieces right?

And there is no distribution issues between my roof and my house.

27 minutes ago, random said:

Uh huh ... so your statement about distribution of renewable energy falls to pieces right?

Not sure I follow? which statement?

Every statement. 

The fucking irony of a couple of trolls here bagging every power production system that does not need poles and wires, on a sailing site.

YCMTSU.

Not "bagging" any distribution systems that need poles and wires. But how do you plan to get the power from where it is generated e.g. remote locations to the people that need it e.g. major population centers. Yeah Yeah I get that you don't need no stiiiiiinking distribution system.Good Onya. However I did a detailed power study on my house a few years ago with a view to going renewables. Unfortunately the largest roof mounted array I could find running at max efficiency would just about keep up with the load during the day when temps are below 80F ish (minimal AC use)   but did not even come close to meeting the needs during the heat of summer. 90-100 F. Basically load is all AC heat pump and fridge and freezer.  Even with the government giving me tax breaks the ROI was 25 years. Sorry not making that investment. I'll be long past caring before I get a return. If the house had been small and designed for it, maybe the numbers might have been different but Its not. 

On 9/14/2017 at 6:21 AM, warbird said:

A mid May backpacking trip had us driving from LA to the Grand Canyon in 89 or 90. 85 to 90mph across the CA and AZ desert in 95 to 100 degree temps. AC blasting and good (for the times) music on the stereo. Mrs WB and I had a pleasant trip. One fellow back packer arrived hours later looking wrung out. He happily explained that he got 30 something mpg in his Volvo 240 driving 45mph the whole way with windows open:lol: YCMTSU

sounds like kind of a dick...

On 9/29/2017 at 5:39 AM, Adelsten said:

+1

On 9/29/2017 at 8:39 AM, Adelsten said:

Manney thigs macke me feelle sacred to. 

Did a tour of America's entire offshore wind turbine capacity today; 5 turbines three miles off Block Island. Pretty cool really.

IMG_3345.JPG

29 minutes ago, Sean said:

Did a tour of America's entire offshore wind turbine capacity today; 5 turbines three miles off Block Island. Pretty cool really.

IMG_3345.JPG

a blight on the landscape !

Apparently it takes only 17% of the farms output to supply 100% of Block Islands' needs. The rest goes into the mainland grid. 

The tour was hosted by Deep Water Wind, the company that built the installation. The real aim was to show a group of us from the South Fork of Long Island (The Hamptons) the virtues of wind power. They are close to securing a contract to build another wind farm to supply our neighborhood and want to short circuit the inevitable opposition. They did a very good job of it.

These wind and solar farms make their money by selling into the grid,they didn't build or maintain, at a rate mandated by the smoky backroom boys and girls, not because they actually generate anything more than a high school science projects "energy"....it is a scam

Just now, SailBlueH2O said:

..it is a scam

Go tell the Block Island people, see how you go.