pacice

Foiling Monohull - what would it look like?

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Boybland said:

They could just make it both foils down until the gun... No foiling, loads of heel as they only have about 3 ton of ballast at this point...

 

image.png.35f8c9d788722a34df70562e4b127b3d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 t

This is the prototype put out by Team UK, Looks like it might kill someone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sam_rosenbaum said:

 t

This is the prototype put out by Team UK, Looks like it might kill someone 

Gawd you've got several months of reading to get through before posting...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2018 at 1:24 PM, dg_sailingfan said:

We did not dialups in the AC 50?

High-performance boats do not preclude dialups - there was a massive dialup between the trimaran and catamaran at the start of race 1 of the 33rd AC. 

A dialup is a tactic you use in a windward start.  I don't see how it makes a lot of sense for a reaching start, because the boat closer to the line has a huge advantage.  You'd get the hook, take them up, and then peel off for the line before coming to a stop in a dialup.  Crossing the windward boundary of the starting area gets you both offsetting penalties, so it's not like taking your opponent to the course side of the start line and then ducking back to start before them.

The 36th AC will have windward starts, so expect dialups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Basiliscus said:

High-performance boats do not preclude dialups - there was a massive dialup between the trimaran and catamaran at the start of race 1 of the 33rd AC. 

A dialup is a tactic you use in a windward start.  I don't see how it makes a lot of sense for a reaching start, because the boat closer to the line has a huge advantage.  You'd get the hook, take them up, and then peel off for the line before coming to a stop in a dialup.  Crossing the windward boundary of the starting area gets you both offsetting penalties, so it's not like taking your opponent to the course side of the start line and then ducking back to start before them.

The 36th AC will have windward starts, so expect dialups.

Well, at least that is what they keep saying. AC 33 did not have "Foils" so there wasn't a huge problem back then, these new AC 75 Class Boats will have these sort of canting foils. Imagine one of the foils hit you when you in the Start Box.

Having Pre-Start Dialups with the foils they have is a very undesireable Result. I'm totally agreeing with the User "Boybland". They should keep these foils down until the Start Gun if the want windward starts otherwise it gets too dangerous.

We already had a Start Collision between former Land Rover BAR and SBTJ during the AC Qualifiers of AC 35. Given how hard these Helmsman will push their boats during the Pre-Start I'm getting very concerned about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

FWIW, Patrizio Bertelli in the latest La Stampa interview said there’ll be circling, with both foils in the lower (docking) position

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But the Noob/sock puppet is concerned, very concerned, so hit the panic button - or call the whole thing off!!

Try informing yourself a bit dg-s, note that AC boats race under different rules from all others, these rules take into account (as far as pos') the speed and the pointy bits associated with foiling - heard of the 'Virtual Diamond'? And no,  that has nothing to do with Indiana Jones.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Xlot said:

 

FWIW, Patrizio Bertelli in the latest La Stampa interview said there’ll be circling, with both foils in the lower (docking) position

Now that makes more sense in the Start Box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then again using the foils to attack each other 'Robot Wars' style would probably bring in a whole new audience!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nav said:

Then again using the foils to attack each other 'Robot Wars' style would probably bring in a whole new audience!?

Basher tried that last time, didn't work out so well :ph34r:

 

Surely this was a dialup? (and a clean out!)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoom said:

Basher tried that last time, didn't work out so well :ph34r:

 

Surely this was a dialup? (and a clean out!)

That is not a dial, it's a hook.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boybland said:

That is not a dial, it's a hook.

And very satisfying too!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, nav said:

Then again using the foils to attack each other 'Robot Wars' style would probably bring in a whole new audience!?

 

7 hours ago, hoom said:

Basher tried that last time, didn't work out so well :ph34r:

 

That was a simple wrestling move - (I'd post photos of face sitting but....... :o),  much better weapons systems this time!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Boybland said:

That is not a dial, it's a hook.

Yes but after the hook is established isn't the luff all the way up to head-to-wind a dialup? I always thought that counts as a dialup.

 

But also the start of the sequence, what got Jimmy in the shit was he predicted ETNZ was going to tack immediately & attempted to close the gauge to block the tack -> forcing a conventional dialup or gybe but Orifice lost too much speed, then failed to accelerate when Jimmy bailed, while ETNZ had speed & enough room to flick it round to get the hook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hoom said:

Yes but after the hook is established isn't the luff all the way up to head-to-wind a dialup? I always thought that counts as a dialup.

 

But also the start of the sequence, what got Jimmy in the shit was he predicted ETNZ was going to tack immediately & attempted to close the gauge to block the tack -> forcing a conventional dialup or gybe but Orifice lost too much speed, then failed to accelerate when Jimmy bailed, while ETNZ had speed & enough room to flick it round to get the hook.

I always felt/thought a dial up was when the boats came in from opposite tacks and go head to wind side by side.  As is happening in this video and 1:05.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Boybland said:

I always felt/thought a dial up was when the boats came in from opposite tacks and go head to wind side by side.  As is happening in this video and 1:05.

 

 

Definition in the video (around 1:30) [g-tran] DIAL UP: Stalemate with bow in the wind especially during the five minutes before the start

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2018 at 2:25 PM, Boybland said:

That is not a dial, it's a hook.

It certainly was a wind up... on a cocky little ginger...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now