• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
badlatitude

Republicans Falling Like Ashes To The Ground

Couple this with Bob Corker's announcement that he is considering retirement and it looks bad for the GOP.

"Rep. Dave Trott (R-MI) is leaving Congress at the end of his term, he announced Monday morning, making him the third swing-district House Republican to declare his retirement in the past week alone.

Trott’s decision to leave is the latest sign that House Republicans are bracing for a brutal 2018 election — one that some of them aren’t so eager to face. And it opens up a competitive seat Democrats hope they can capture in a wave election.

President Trump won Trott’s suburban Detroit seat by 50% to 45%, about the same margin Mitt Romney carried it in 2008. But President Obama won it in 2008, and Democrats were already looking at Trott as a potential 2018 target.

“I have decided not to seek reelection in 2018. This was not an easy decision, but after careful consideration, I have decided that the best course for me is to spend more time with my family and return to the private sector,” Trott said in a statement.

Trott is already the fourth Republican from a competitive district to announce he’ll retire this year, and the third in just a week. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) announced earlier this year that she was done with Congress, and last week moderate Reps. Dave Reichert (R-WA) and Charlie Dent (R-PA) announced their retirements as well.

Republican strategists are bracing for more retirements in tough swing districts. Members tend to announce retirement plans either in early September, after they return from the August recess, or after the winter holidays after they have time to spend at home with their families.

“The [National Republican Congressional Committee] is looking forward to keeping his seat red in 2018. We will not let his hard work go to waste, and are confident this seat will remain under Republican control,” NRCC Chairman Steve Stivers (R-OH) said in a statement.

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee called his retirement “a tell-tale sign that running for re-election in Paul Ryan’s do-nothing Congress would have been an uphill climb not worth the effort” in a statement that promised to target the district next fall.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/rep-dave-trott-announces-retirement-third-swing-district-republican-this-week

1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

“I have decided not to seek reelection in 2018. This was not an easy decision, but after careful consideration, I have decided that the best course for me is to spend more time with my family and return to the private sector,” Trott said in a statement.

Translation: "I can make a hell of a lot more money and not have to deal with Trump if I return to the private sector. Sucks to be you."

10 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Translation: "I can make a hell of a lot more money and not have to deal with Trump if I return to the private sector. Sucks to be you."

Yep, I'm getting out while the getting is good.

3 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

It's hard for these folks to run without being helped by Mr. Trump's Super Beautiful Terrific coat tails like they will in 2020 

Donors are drying up. Why toss good money after bad?

If the Repubs were so scared of loosing maybe they could do something to convince the voters that they deserve to be reelected. Oh sorry, that was a sane comment from outside of Washington.

One guy considers retirement and you guys translate that into massive defection.

WH=GOP, Senate=GOP, House=GOP majority of state Governors=GOP, majority of city Mayors=GOP.

If that's losing, how are the Dems doing?

2 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

One guy considers retirement and you guys translate that into massive defection.

WH=GOP, Senate=GOP, House=GOP majority of state Governors=GOP, majority of city Mayors=GOP.

Ask Nancy and Chuck.

9 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Americans are getting a good look at what it feels like to have Republicans in full control of the federal government. I'm not so sure they like what they're seeing. 

Ironically, what you consider a win could well be the undoing of your Party. 

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

Americans are getting a good look at what it feels like to have Republicans in full control of the federal government. I'm not so sure they like what they're seeing. 

Who are these Americans?

GDP up 2.3%

4.3% unemployment

3% uptick in U.S manufacturing

What not to like?

2 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Who are these Americans?

Those expressing their preference to people asking them the question whether they'd vote Democrat or Republican. For example: Poll: Dems lead Republicans by 16 points on generic House ballot.

Just now, Bent Sailor said:

Those expressing their preference to people asking them the question whether they'd vote Democrat or Republican. For example: Poll: Dems lead Republicans by 16 points on generic House ballot.

The polls said Hillary would win in a landslide... So put whatever faith you in the "polls" in the appropriate context...

29 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Losing.

The entire USA is losing.

11 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Who are these Americans?

GDP up 2.3%

4.3% unemployment

What not to like?

And it's all due to Trump and all that legislation he's gotten passed.

He got more done in his first week than Obama did in two terms.

18 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

The polls said Hillary would win in a landslide... So put whatever faith you in the "polls" in the appropriate context...

No. They didn't. On the night they were saying that despite a lead in the national polls (which was borne out in the votes), it was a toss-up in must-win states she needed to cinch victory (which was borne out in the votes). When deciding what to put your faith in, it's generally considered appropriate to know a little about what you're speaking of.

And even if one ignores that, polls of what people think are better indicators than "whatever Movable Ballast just pulled out of his ass today". So still going to consider them more credible than your rusted on loyalty ;)

2 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

No. They didn't. On the night they were saying that despite a lead in the national polls (which was borne out in the votes), it was a toss-up in must-win states she needed to cinch victory (which was borne out in the votes). When deciding what to put your faith in, it's generally considered appropriate to know a little about what you're speaking of.

And even if one ignores that, polls of what people think are better indicators than "whatever Movable Ballast just pulled out of his ass today". So still going to consider them more credible than your rusted on loyalty ;)

No YOU predicted that Hillary would win in a landslide, just like you predicted that Turnbul would lose the last election. Knowing fuck all about what you are talking about is your life.

33 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

Gotta love those polls cupcake. Any early predictions about the next general election? It is like asking a groundhog when winter will end - except the ground hog gets it right sometimes.

Shorten's popularity down in new poll

'Last week's Newspoll showed Mr Turnbull had gained his biggest personal lead over Mr Shorten - 46-29 per cent - as preferred prime minister.

That poll also showed the Coalition inching back ground with voters'

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2017/09/11/shorten-s-popularity-down-in-new-poll.html

1 hour ago, Sean said:

It's pretty common actually. wasn't too long ago that the Dems were in that position. And like the repubs today, they overstepped.

2 hours ago, bhyde said:

Ask Nancy and Chuck.

Or, you could ask the other two guys who were there with Nancy, Chuck, and President Trump. I know who they are, but the President never even mentioned them. Kinda like they weren't really there. 

1 minute ago, Spatial Ed said:

Maybe all the republicans are just tired of winning?

Well, we WERE promised we'd get tired of it. 

47 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

Maybe all the republicans are just tired of winning?

To be honest,Im loving the winning

Just now, Spatial Ed said:

How are your socks feeling?

They are resting peacefully in the drawer

30 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

How are your socks feeling?

Hell, Specious, just fuckin out me and be done with the BS.

BTW, have you ever sailed on more than a pond.?

38,000 posts , lets see how big your balls are....

7 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Donors are drying up. Why toss good money after bad?

You have said that before.  When in reality it's completely wrong. 

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/08/18/democrats-lag-far-behind-gop-in-2018-fundraising-despite-turmoil/23151816/

Despite the turmoil that Republicans have faced over the past several months, some observers are speculating that the Democrats may still be at a disadvantage in the 2018 midterm elections due to significant gaps in fundraising. 

According to The Hill, the Democratic National Committee, or DNC, raised $38.2 million during the first six months of 2017 which is slightly more than half the amount the $75.4 million their Republican counterparts brought in. 

The report adds, “as of June 30, the RNC has almost $45 million in the bank, while the DNC has just under $7.5 million, along with $3 million in debt.”

Even more bad news for the Dems  it's not just the 2:1 margin it's who is donating 

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/10/the-democratic-partys-looming-fundraising-crisis-215474

During that same six-month time span, the RNC raised $33 million in small contributions—money from people who donate $200 or less over an election cycle—while that same class of donors gave the DNC just $21 million.

This isn’t just about money. Small-dollar donors are an important measure of how much grass-roots enthusiasm a campaign or organization has. They are the supporters who will show up to knock on doors, make phone calls and get out the vote. And since they don’t donate enough to reach campaigns’ individual contribution limits, you can return to ask them for money time and again—which frees campaigns from continually being on the hunt for new, deep-pocketed donors who can max out. The lack of their support threatens to prevent major gains by the party in 2018 and beyond.

7 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

Even more bad news for the Dems  it's not just the 2:1 margin it's who is donating 

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/10/the-democratic-partys-looming-fundraising-crisis-215474

During that same six-month time span, the RNC raised $33 million in small contributions—money from people who donate $200 or less over an election cycle—while that same class of donors gave the DNC just $21 million.

This isn’t just about money. Small-dollar donors are an important measure of how much grass-roots enthusiasm a campaign or organization has. They are the supporters who will show up to knock on doors, make phone calls and get out the vote. And since they don’t donate enough to reach campaigns’ individual contribution limits, you can return to ask them for money time and again—which frees campaigns from continually being on the hunt for new, deep-pocketed donors who can max out. The lack of their support threatens to prevent major gains by the party in 2018 and beyond.

I gather then that you are hoping for a Hail Mary in 2018? Maybe Democrats aren't pulling in money because donors know they won't need it. This has the earmarks of a bloody slaughter and seeing Republicans hit the exit is pretty telling.

Saved for posterity.

2 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I gather then that you are hoping for a Hail Mary in 2018? Maybe Democrats aren't pulling in money because donors know they won't need it. This has the earmarks of a bloody slaughter and seeing Republicans hit the exit is pretty telling.

4 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the house flips.  But if it does it will not because the GOP donor money dryed up as you claimed.  And if the Dems don't win you can always blame it on the Koch brothers and Gerrymandering.  

1 minute ago, TMSAIL said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the house flips.  But if it does it will not because the GOP money dryed up as you claimed.  And if the Dems don't win you can always blame it on the Koch brothers and Gerrymandering.  

I have a feeling the gerrymandering problem will be addressed by then. I don't think the GOP will have a lack of funding, I think the Democrats are going into this thinking it will be a walk and as an experienced watcher of politics, I wouldn't recommend that approach.

What we are seeing is the purging of the non-believers. Before long, loyalty to Trump will be the litmus test for those in The Party. You'll be able to go through the whole caucus and not find a single person who can identify the last time they thought that The Pride of the GOP did something wrong. 

8 hours ago, Moderate said:

Too funny.  If we summed up the post counts of all your socks, it would far exceed mine.  So why the socks?  Chicken?

8 hours ago, Moderate said:

You outed yourself every time you posted that Latitude 38 link. All anyone has to do is do a search for you posting Latitude 38 and they get directed to your 15 minutes of fame in a number of different posts.

How'd those special elections in New Hampshire and Oklahoma go?  You know, the ones for the seats that have recently been held by the GOP. 

15 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

You outed yourself every time you posted that Latitude 38 link. All anyone has to do is do a search for you posting Latitude 38 and they get directed to your 15 minutes of fame in a number of different posts.

I think the Cat's got his tongue 

17 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Thanks for that. It's always good to put a face to the name of a neo-nazi shit bag. 

Not that he's a Republican, but Slate is reporting WH lawyers recommended Kushner resign after it became apparent he had met 4 times with Russians during the campaign and reported no contacts to the FBI. A letter explaining his resignation touched on how the politics had become so toxic that he had become a drain upon the president's agenda. 

In a stunning development, Sarah "Huckster" Huckabee "I can't believe I share my name with Bernie" Sanders said this is fake news. It was not immediately apparent if her nose was growing at the time.

It's only a small state House election, but it may have implications for 2018. One can only hope. 

Upset: Democrat flips NH House seat in 2-1 GOP district

Excerpt-

CONCORD, N.H. —

Democrat Kari Lerner of Chester pulled off a surprising upset win in a Rockingham County special New Hampshire House election Tuesday, defeating Republican former state Rep. James Headd of Auburn by 39 votes in a district in which Republicans have a 2-1 advantage in registrations.

snip....

It was the third time since May that Democrats flipped a House seat in a special election. Edith DesMarais won in heavily Republican Wolfeboro on May 23. Charlie St. Clair won in Laconia-Belmont on Sept. 12.

Also, on July 25, Democrat Kevin Cavanaugh defeated Republican former state Sen. David Boutin in a special state Senate election in heavily Republican District 16.

Rockingham County District 4 is the fourth most Republican House district in the state, according to the state Democratic Party. The Washington-based Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee said it is a district in which President Donald Trump prevailed by 23 percentage points in November.

The DLCC said the Lerner win was the eighth Democratic flip of previously Republican seats in state legislative races across the country since November.

“There's something happening in this state and all across this country when the deepest red districts in New Hampshire are consistently turning royal blue,” state Democratic Party Chairman Raymond Buckley said. “This, our hardest-won victory so far, is the latest proof that voters are showing up when it matters to reject the dangerous and divisive agenda of Donald Trump and Chris Sununu.”

http://www.wmur.com/article/upset-democrats-flip-nh-house-seat-in-2-1-gop-district/12479901

On 9/11/2017 at 7:37 PM, Movable Ballast said:

Who are these Americans?

GDP up 2.3%

4.3% unemployment

What not to like?

One party rule.

Gridlock always works better.

I hope we can achieve it again in 2018.

“The Republican Party is in freefall,” said David Paleologos, director of the Suffolk University Political Research Center in Boston. “In March the GOP had a 48 percent unfavorable rating, in June the negative swelled to 55 percent. Today the GOP unfavorable is 62 percent. What’s next?

http://www.suffolk.edu/news/73845.php#.WdZSCkEpCEd

9 minutes ago, Sean said:

“The Republican Party is in freefall,” said David Paleologos, director of the Suffolk University Political Research Center in Boston. “In March the GOP had a 48 percent unfavorable rating, in June the negative swelled to 55 percent. Today the GOP unfavorable is 62 percent. What’s next?

http://www.suffolk.edu/news/73845.php#.WdZSCkEpCEd

And this...

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/05/republican-donors-trump-mcconnell-anger-243449

On 9/11/2017 at 4:37 PM, Movable Ballast said:

Who are these Americans?

GDP up 2.3%

4.3% unemployment

What not to like?

Thanks, Obama

4 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

That's what I've been hearing/reading. 

There was a poster who frequents this place who regaled us with claims the GOP was enjoying a robust fundraising season. 

Where'd he go?

I don't know. I've noticed a substantial absence of  party apologists  conservatives around these parts ever since the Trump became president and his behaviour resulted in daily  factual statements about his inadequacy  vitriol. that couldn't be just be countered with  repetitive partisan twaddle  supporting the office of POTUS.

I read it was immediate....

Let me find it.

Washington (CNN)Republican Rep. Tim Murphy of Pennsylvania will resign from his position, effective October 21, House Speaker Paul Ryan announced in a statement Thursday.

1 hour ago, madohe said:

Washington (CNN)Republican Rep. Tim Murphy of Pennsylvania will resign from his position, effective October 21, House Speaker Paul Ryan announced in a statement Thursday.

The GOP performed a late term abortion on his term.

1 hour ago, madohe said:

Ah, that's a change from yesterday, and from the link above.

Good news, he can get back to fucking his mistress instead of the poor and down trodden.

Nevermind....

Edited by madohe
sometimes I'm an idiot and should just STFU

I find the choosing of that date to be odd.  He already announced he wasn't up for re-election.

Why isn't the resignation immediate?  Gotta be a reason.  Likely, it is self-serving, in some way.  

Nothing but caught up in the moment wishful thinking, and a waste of electrons. Clinton and Obama both lost majority seats in midterms after they were elected, and no one worth listening to was foolish enough to predict the demise of Democrats and their donors. Democrats will eventually retake a majority in Congress all or in part, could well be in 2018, but the playing field will continue to tilt back and forth - nothing has changed in the long view. No party in power has been able to deliver on their promises, so the losers will always get another chance, and nothing substantial changes. It’s amazing how short our attention spans have become.

Trump will be another footnote in history like most politicians. That’ll drive him crazy once he’s out of the bright spotlight...just rewards?

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

I find the choosing of that date to be odd.  He already announced he wasn't up for re-election.

Why isn't the resignation immediate?  Gotta be a reason.  Likely, it is self-serving, in some way.  

They need his vote to pass the abortion bill.

October 06, 2017 - 05:46 PM EDT

Trump approval hits record-low 32 percent in AP poll

President Trump's approval rating has sunk to a new low in a new Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research survey.

Thirty-two percent of Americans polled said they approved of Trump's handling of his job nine months into his presidency, while 67 percent of those polled said they disapproved.

The president's approval rating in the poll is down from 42 percent in March and 35 percent in June, AP-NORC said.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/354325-poll-trump-approval-hits-32-percent

Another moderate Republican retiring, with more to come -

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/359162-gop-rep-lobiondo-to-retire-after-current-term-ends-reports

GOP Rep. Frank LoBiondo (R-N.J.) announced Tuesday he will not seek reelection in 2018, and pointed to increased political polarization as a reason.

https://www.politico.com/tipsheets/playbook-power-briefing/2017/11/07/buzz-expect-more-house-gop-retirements-soon-trump-will-be-able-to-tweet-in-china-us-now-the-only-country-to-not-ratify-paris-climate-accords-223223

A Republican campaign official tells us to expect SEVERAL HOUSE GOP retirements as soon as this week. “Don’t be surprised to see some retirements this week. Mostly in safe seats but could also see in a competitive seat or two. Still well below average on retirements.” Republicans are telling us not to read into these retirements -- they are all for personal reasons, officials say. But, needless to say, the DCCC would love some more open seats.

Edited by Sean

On 10/7/2017 at 7:13 PM, Sean said:

October 06, 2017 - 05:46 PM EDT

Trump approval hits record-low 32 percent in AP poll

President Trump's approval rating has sunk to a new low in a new Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research survey.

Thirty-two percent of Americans polled said they approved of Trump's handling of his job nine months into his presidency, while 67 percent of those polled said they disapproved.

The president's approval rating in the poll is down from 42 percent in March and 35 percent in June, AP-NORC said.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/354325-poll-trump-approval-hits-32-percent

The direction is right but that still means that 1/3 of Americans think that POS is doing a decent job.

At this point I can't imagine anything that could change their minds.

14 minutes ago, Sean said:

Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) announced on Thursday that he would not seek re-election to the House in 2018.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gop-rep-goodlatte-wont-seek-re-election-in-2018

Unfortunately Goodlatte's district was like +21 for Gillespie even in this election so I doubt it's gettable for Dems even without incumbency to fight against.  I suspect he sees the writing on the wall, the GOP possibly losing majority but getting nothing done either way, and misery with Trump so retire and cash in now.

On the other hand, Betsy Comstock , R, VA-10 saw her district vote +12 for Northam.  I'll be interested to see if she soldiers on to the next election.

I think a lot of seats that Democrats need can be gotten just from running up the score in blue states like CA, NJ etc.

As someone else pointed out, it looks like Conservatives are bowing out. Republicans(go team!) are soldiering on...

Just now, Raz'r said:

As someone else pointed out, it looks like Conservatives are bowing out. Republicans(go team!) are soldiering on...

They are handing the party over to the crazies and the Trump 'tards.   It's really something to see. 

1 minute ago, Clove Hitch said:

They are handing the party over to the crazies and the Trump 'tards.   It's really something to see. 

Agreed. We're watching A-Guy descend into madness. Kinda depressing.

Well things are not all rosy in the Democrat party either. It's being divided into Clinton World on one hand and the far left on the other, both are problematic.

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

Well things are not all rosy in the Democrat party either. It's being divided into Clinton World on one hand and the far left on the other, both are problematic.

lol, so predictable you are with the bullshit.

Just an interesting observation...it seems to me that so many of these republicans ran and got elected on a "Fuck that Ni**er in the Whitehouse" platform.  None of them had any idea how to lead or govern.  They just played to the ignorance or hatred of their constituents.  They could blame the Dems for their inability to do shit, or say that they were elected to prevent the Dems from doing anything, so they didn't do shit.  When they finally had the opportunity to get shit done (thankfully) they can't, because none of them have any vision for anything that would actually be good for the country.  

If a politician runs on a platform of obstructionism, and regressivism, DO NOT VOTE FOR THEM.

1 hour ago, Dog said:

Ha ha you can tell who gets all their news from Fox and Drudge so easily.  If you look at Fox they barely talk about stuff like how a +9 wave washed over the GOP gerrymander in VA and wiped away their advantage in the legislature and the implications for next year.  It's all Hill/Bernie sniping, Weinstein and Hillary's Emails. 

They don't realize that actual Democratic voters are actually over all that and are much more interested in getting rid of Republicans since they can't touch Trump right now.  This is the message from VA should they choose to heed it.

3 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Ha ha you can tell who gets all their news from Fox and Drudge so easily.  If you look at Fox they barely talk about stuff like how a +9 wave washed over the GOP gerrymander in VA and wiped away their advantage in the legislature and the implications for next year.  It's all Hill/Bernie sniping, Weinstein and Hillary's Emails. 

They don't realize that actual Democratic voters are actually over all that and are much more interested in getting rid of Republicans since they can't touch Trump right now.  This is the message from VA should they choose to heed it.

The 2018 elections are important of course, but the 2020 elections? those will be in charge during the next redistricting. Maybe some sanity will prevail and we'll move away from the pain of the gerrymandered districts. 

25 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Oh please....The Democrats had a good night thanks to Donald Trump not because they have their act together.

What difference does it make?

As long as the R's get their ignorant, greedy, fanatical, selfish asses kicked it doesn't much matter who does it.

3 minutes ago, Dog said:

Oh please....The Democrats had a good night thanks to Donald Trump not because they have their act together.

Actually, there is a grassroots movement that has been working on Virginia for months. But we'll take all the help Donald Trump can throw our way, regardless.

Just now, badlatitude said:

Actually, there is a grassroots movement that has been working on Virginia for months. But we'll take all the help Donald Trump can throw our way, regardless.

Well, according to exit polling he helped a lot.

Just now, badlatitude said:

No doubt and he's not done yet.

No, I don't think he is. Hurry up and get rid of him will you.

25 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

And this is how Trump was elected - 

Not quite - Trump was elected via ignorance and resentment fed by years, even decades, of false accusations and innuendo and outright lies against Clinton and Obama.

This bunch of R's have very publicly proven themselves to be what they are.

They stand condemned by their own words and deeds.

2 hours ago, Dog said:

Dude, that's THE WHOLE POINT.  Northam, IMO, ran a shit campaign (although the Dems had their ground game going) and despite that trounced the GOP, because of Trump. 

State legislators all around VA overcame a severe gerrymander to wipe out the GOP majority.

People are willing to stand out in the cold rain for hours to cast a vote in opposition to Trump.  This was less than clear until last night.  This is something that should concern GOPers.

Trump is the one condition, unless he is impeached or dies, that will not change going into next year.  He's a fixed albatross around the necks of the GOP that hopefully will lead to enough results like around VA to flip the House back.

Trump's not going to change at all, he was never capable of it in the first place and has no interest in it.  The only variable is how the GOP decides to play these cards going forward, and whether the Democrats fumble away their greatest gift in voter turnout, which is very possible.

This doesn't mean that plenty can't happen in a year, whether financial events, Russia investigation, Trump getting us into a war.  But Trump is going to be a serious motivator for Democratic voters around the country to turn out.

Edited by BrickTopHarry
edited for spelling

1 minute ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Dude, that's THE WHOLE POINT.  Northam, IMO, ran a shit campaign (although the Dems had their ground game going) and despite that trounced the GOP, because of Trump. 

State legislators all around VA overcame a sever gerrymander to wipe out the GOP majority.

People are willing to stand out in the cold rain for hours to cast a vote in opposition to Trump.  This was less than clear until last night.  This is something that should concern GOPers.

Trump is the one condition, unless he is impeached or dies, that will not change going into next year.  He's a fixed albatross around the necks of the GOP that hopefully will lead to enough results like around VA to flip the House back.

Trump's not going to change at all, he was never capable of it in the first place and has no interest in it.  The only variable is how the GOP decides to play these cards going forward, and whether the Democrats fumble away their greatest gift in voter turnout, which is very possible.

This doesn't mean that plenty can't happen in a year, whether financial events, Russia investigation, Trump getting us into a war.  But Trump is going to be a serious motivator for Democratic voters around the country to turn out.

So we agree. Democrats may want to rethink impeachment.