• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

I got a fiver on PEI.........

At least it didn't follow Irma and give everyone a one, two punch.

Its shaping up to be a rough season for the East Coast. I have lived in a lot of places, but I would have trouble staying too long in an area with that kind of weather! Good luck guys and I am praying it just take s a big righty out into the middle of the Atlantic!

WL

I haven't heard any mention in the MSM of Jose since Irma hit the US. Shiny object du jour. 

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

I haven't heard any mention in the MSM of Jose since Irma hit the US. Shiny object du jour. 

CNN said it was no threat to the East Coast about an hour ago :rolleyes: Also note Texas has issues too. I am wearing a FEMA shirt today and the waitress at dinner asked me why I was here and not in Florida............

I take it there is a lot of uncertainty with Jose.  I heard the the European model shows it staying offshore while the US model has it hitting the east coast.  With Irma missing the initial targets and causing people to evacuate right into where the storm hit, maybe just nobody knows enough to say anything other than keep an eye on it.  Plus, there is this loop thing. Now how can they forecast how it will come out of the loop.  Apparently they can't.

this site lets you run the GFS and EURO and a few other forecasting models.... your mileage may vary LOL

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=z500a&runtime=2017091200&fh=12&xpos=0&ypos=112

1 hour ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

My name, jose jimenez...

Is that your crash helmet?

oh I hope not...

I get it.

Jesus, I am old. . .

4 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

Its shaping up to be a rough season for the East Coast. I have lived in a lot of places, but I would have trouble staying too long in an area with that kind of weather! Good luck guys and I am praying it just take s a big righty out into the middle of the Atlantic!

WL

Earthquakes.

9 hours ago, slap said:

Earthquakes.

Most earthquakes are not even noticed

A Cat 2 would whipe DAGO off the map

^^^odd that. ECWMF is taking Jose closer to Bermuda than Florida this run. GFS, too. The official NHC track posted above (should update) is probably as good as anything. Hard to tell really. The models are looking unusually fragile with this one. It certainly could take a flier but, for the foreseeable future, it's most likely to be a fish storm.

16 hours ago, Rule69 said:

^^^odd that. ECWMF is taking Jose closer to Bermuda than Florida this run. GFS, too. The official NHC track posted above (should update) is probably as good as anything. Hard to tell really. The models are looking unusually fragile with this one. It certainly could take a flier but, for the foreseeable future, it's most likely to be a fish storm.

Models have been all over the place with this one. Latest puts Jose uncomfortably close to the coast, but still a long way out. 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

Euro -

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2017091300/ecmwf_uv850_vort_neus_11.png

GFS -

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017091306/gfs_mslp_wind_neus_27.png

UK Met today has it going north, rather than into Florida, and just sitting offshore for quite awhile. The loop exit point seems to be the controlling variable. 

36 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

My guess - based on watching hurricanes for decades, is it will be way east of the USA. Could be wrong.

I hope you're right, but it's been trending a bit west.

Couple more systems with potential -

9-14%20Tropical%20outlook%207%20am.jpg

For us it will be like winter come early with a NorEaster. Now all it takes is a little error and........:o

One of my more memorable sails was when Charlie (1980s version) was so sure to be yanking out east after Hatteras they had no warnings even on Saturday and Sunday it hooked back towards us.

The Euro model has Jose doing a loopdeloop just offshore of Long Island, with 40+ knots of easterlies for three days. If that's what happens, we're going to get plenty of water piling up between the twin forks. Can't imagine what Sag Harbor will look like. We get high tides well over the docks in a run of the mill nor'easter. 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=ecmwf&region=neus&pkg=uv850_vort&runtime=2017091500&fh=-84&xpos=0&ypos=0

Feeling slightly better about this one. GFS has it sliding to the east a bit, enough to make a big difference.
With a caveat-  "
  • The average NHC track errors at days 3 and 4 are about 125 and 175 miles, respectively. 

12z on the left, 00z on the right -

IMG_4604.JPG

Edited by Sean

Euro moved the track west last night. Could get rather sporty in a couple days around here. 

Sag Harbor is still packed with 100' plus yachts, if they don't bug out the docks could get tore up along with some very expensive toys. 

Well, the TS watch is up from Cape Charles to P town.  Just went out to tie up the main and check on stuff.  I'm in a really protected spot  from anything other than Westerlies, so I'm not too concerned about Pearl.  I'll put the fish/lobster killer on an empty mooring in the lee of the Neck, hopefully way down harbor and hope for the best.

I'm sure the next two days will be busy hauling those who are not as fortunate, or who think it may be a little uglier than the forecasted gusts to 30.  As it turns out, I had two of my heaviest spars scheduled for tomorrow anyway.

On 9/16/2017 at 10:56 AM, Sean said:
Feeling slightly better about this one. GFS has it sliding to the east a bit, enough to make a big difference.
With a caveat-  "
  • The average NHC track errors at days 3 and 4 are about 125 and 175 miles, respectively. 

12z on the left, 00z on the right -

IMG_4604.JPG

Looks like boobs.

On 9/23/2017 at 11:17 PM, Rasputin22 said:

No way? This has got to be a bad joke. I'm going to work as a boat insurance adjuster after the last three weeks.

Sadly no.