Sign in to follow this  
Roam

Small home built beach cat?

I've just about finished building my first boat (B&B yachts Spindrift 11N) and am now starting to daydream about my next project.

I definitely have a need for speed so I'm looking for something that will get the adrenaline pumping. I was thinking a small catamaran would fit the bill. Does anyone know of any plans or kits of beach cats? Preferably around 10' long? I'm thinking of something like the Minicat 310 but with wooden hulls. Most of the beach cats I've found are 14' or longer and the long term plan is to live on a ~38' yacht so the shorter the better.

thanks,

Hugh

30 minutes ago, Roam said:

I've just about finished building my first boat (B&B yachts Spindrift 11N) and am now starting to daydream about my next project.

I definitely have a need for speed so I'm looking for something that will get the adrenaline pumping. I was thinking a small catamaran would fit the bill. Does anyone know of any plans or kits of beach cats? Preferably around 10' long? I'm thinking of something like the Minicat 310 but with wooden hulls. Most of the beach cats I've found are 14' or longer and the long term plan is to live on a ~38' yacht so the shorter the better.

thanks,

Hugh

I built my kids an Oppikat... at that size you have floatations issues, design max capacity is 160 pounds. Strip planked bottom and ply top sides. Was a fun build. I need to put back in the shop as it has mini keels, and the boat can't tack in a restricted fairway. Needs real foils.

10 feet?

That is too short for a traditional cat. (UFO is that long but hydrofoil).

Have you sailed an Aquacat, an H14, and an H16/P16 ? Or a hobie wave?

Do that before you start building such a short catamaran.

Conventional catamrans suffer from nosediving-->pitchpoling. Shorter gets that even more.

4 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I built my kids an Oppikat... at that size you have floatations issues, design max capacity is 160 pounds. Strip planked bottom and ply top sides. Was a fun build. I need to put back in the shop as it has mini keels, and the boat can't tack in a restricted fairway. Needs real foils.

BTW - it's a Dudley Dix design....

Thanks for the responses. Why is a the capacity of wooden catamarans so low when a 10' minicat has a maximum payload over 500lbs?

23 minutes ago, Roam said:

Thanks for the responses. Why is a the capacity of wooden catamarans so low when a 10' minicat has a maximum payload over 500lbs?

volume of the hulls....

Example, the hulls on the Oppikat are quite narrow, probably close to a 8/9:1 ratio of length to max width, and max width is only about 1/2 of the length of the hull.

Looks like the Minicat is a round tube, no shape fore/aft.  lots more volume....

There's a couple of F12 designs floating around the net. I designed some hulls for foam and glass construction to the rule. Designed to suit lighter adults or kids. As others have said, shorter cats are more susceptible to pitch-poling.