• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
A guy in the Chesapeake

Transcript of NPR interview w/Hillary Clinton

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Rockdog said:

Can't imagine a person going through the trouble of voter registration but not getting a drivers license.  

Didn't need nor get a drivers license until I was 28. Not everyone has or needs a car.

Edit: I did, however, go through the trouble of registering to vote. Just because I didn't drive doesn't mean I don't want to vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rockdog said:

Can't imagine a person going through the trouble of voter registration but not getting a drivers license.  

What? Live in a bubble much? Not everyone lives in the burbs and commutes. I don't know that my daughter will get a license till post college. Lyft and Uber are cheaper than insurance and car payments if you only need short trips...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

Didn't need nor get a drivers license until I was 28. Not everyone has or needs a car.

Edit: I did, however, go through the trouble of registering to vote. Just because I didn't drive doesn't mean I don't want to vote.

I'll post the below for improved clarity.

i can't imagine an American vet who holds a drivers license in one state moving to another,  taken the time to register to vote,  but not spending an hour to get a drivers license sometime within the 90 days prior to an election.  Especially when they know they'd need an ID to actually cast a vote.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

What? Live in a bubble much? Not everyone lives in the burbs and commutes. I don't know that my daughter will get a license till post college. Lyft and Uber are cheaper than insurance and car payments if you only need short trips...

You guys didn't read the transcript linked in OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rockdog said:

You guys didn't read the transcript linked in OP.

She lost, why should I read her interview?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should read it if you want to comment. I heard it live. The only reason HRC looks good in that interview or elsewhere is because Trump is so much worse. Absent him as a comparison, she came across as utterly arrogant and seemed annoyed to even have to deal with Ms. Martin's impertinent questions. My favorite was white women didn't vote for her because their husbands, fathers, and bosses told them not to. You could just feel Ms. Martin going WTF???

The Democrats REALLY need to move on. Really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I credit NPR for asking what I think it the core question:

"...I mean, you say in the book, "American elections are about change, or they're about the future, or some combination thereof." And for many people you are about neither. Did your candidacy have an irreparable flaw from the beginning?

I don't think so. When you win the popular vote by three million votes, and when there were all of these outside forces coming at me right until the very end, I don't think you can say that we didn't have a strong campaign. I'm proud of the campaign we ran. We had an incredible organization. We had more people working on the ground in states like Wisconsin and Michigan."

-------------

I totally think she's in denial and just brushed off the point over and over.  NPR really pressed her and she just was 'nope nope nope'.

She got 3 million more votes but even Romney had more voter turnout than Trump and he lost too.  I know she goes on about voter suppression and Trump goes on and on about illegals voting.  Wonderful.  It shouldn't have mattered.  She lost to a toad because she's a frog too.  I hope she goes away and enjoys being a grandma.  God speed.

But.. apparently not:

"Well, they don't have to buy my book, and they can turn off the radio when they hear me talking. I'm not going anywhere. "

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

You should read it if you want to comment. I heard it live. The only reason HRC looks good in that interview or elsewhere is because Trump is so much worse. Absent him as a comparison, she came across as utterly arrogant and seemed annoyed to even have to deal with Ms. Martin's impertinent questions. My favorite was white women didn't vote for her because their husbands, fathers, and bosses told them not to. You could just feel Ms. Martin going WTF???

The Democrats REALLY need to move on. Really.

They have. It's republicans and media folks looking for republican eyes that keep bringing her back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

They have. It's republicans and media folks looking for republican eyes that keep bringing her back.

Are you speaking of all those mean Republicans at NPR?

Just askin'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moderate said:

Are you speaking of all those mean Republicans at NPR?

Just askin'

Is NPR immune to the ratings chase? Don't think they want more republican eyeballs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rockdog said:

I'll post the below for improved clarity.

i can't imagine an American vet who holds a drivers license in one state moving to another,  taken the time to register to vote,  but not spending an hour to get a drivers license sometime within the 90 days prior to an election.  Especially when they know they'd need an ID to actually cast a vote.  

Thanks for your added clarity.

I can't imagine anyone thinking that a valid drivers wouldn't qualify as valid identification. He's allowed to drive with it, the police accept it, why shouldn't a polling place? Going to get a new drivers license when your current one is valid and accepted by the government for so many other identification purposes seems like a waste of time to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bent Sailor said:

Thanks for your added clarity.

I can't imagine anyone thinking that a valid drivers wouldn't qualify as valid identification. He's allowed to drive with it, the police accept it, why shouldn't a polling place? Going to get a new drivers license when your current one is valid and accepted by the government for so many other identification purposes seems like a waste of time to me.

I spent years living in Maryland with a Hawaii license and a Florida license and voted in Maryland just fine. FYI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Is NPR immune to the ratings chase? Don't think they want more republican eyeballs?

More like the idea that NPR is a Democratic version of Fox News is bullshit now and always was. If HRC thought she was going to get softballs lobbed at her underhand she really screwed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Moderate said:

Are you speaking of all those mean Republicans at NPR?

Just askin'

No, just socks.

Just sayin'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

More like the idea that NPR is a Democratic version of Fox News is bullshit now and always was. If HRC thought she was going to get softballs lobbed at her underhand she really screwed up.

Yup - I like NPR, and even though some of the journalists have a slant, they always seek opposing viewpoints, and air them without edits, sharing when the opposing viewpoint didn't want to comment.   NPR & BBC, and thanks to a Bus & Sol, thehill.com are where I look for most of my beyond-local news. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Were you active duty military? 

Nope - went to flight school in Florida and saw no reason to change back to a Maryland license until the Florida one expired. I was flying out in Hawaii when my Maryland license expired so I got a Hawaii version and kept that until it expired. Hawaii did not process out of state tickets back then either :D

* total thread creep, but Hawaii car insurance rates were about 4 times Maryland rates, so I insured my car on my Maryland policy. It apparently was totally against all Hawaiian rules, but I didn't care. If I hit someone, I had liability coverage and that was all I needed  for my $300 car ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Nope - went to flight school in Florida and saw no reason to change back to a Maryland license until the Florida one expired. I was flying out in Hawaii when my Maryland license expired so I got a Hawaii version and kept that until it expired. Hawaii did not process out of state tickets back then either :D

* total thread creep, but Hawaii car insurance rates were about 4 times Maryland rates, so I insured my car on my Maryland policy. It apparently was totally against all Hawaiian rules, but I didn't care. If I hit someone, I had liability coverage and that was all I needed  for my $300 car ;)

Just curious how ya  got away with it - MD likes it's car/licensing laws.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Just curious how ya  got away with it - MD likes it's car/licensing laws.  

I just called my insurance agent in MD and said add car XYZ with this VIN to my insurance and they said fine you are covered. The Hawaiian DMV was too lazy to check the binder number and see that it was not an expensive bullshit Hawaiian no-fault policiy that cost more than the car :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

Why does the state that licenses you to drive be the only place you can vote?  

Don't ya think that the implication of residence may have something to do with it?  Most states (haven't been everywhere - don't know if it's universal thruout the country) require you to surrender any out of state license w/in 30 days of establishing residence, and have a provision for fines if ya don't, the exception that I'm aware of is that active duty military can retain a "state of residence" aside from their primary living address.  SO - my understanding is that if you're a FL resident, you can vote in FL elections, and national elections, but, you can't vote in MD elections while you're stationed at Andrews.   If I'm mistaken in that understanding, I don't mind being squared away. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

College students violate this "rule" constantly. The MVA might be angry with you if you keep an out of state license*, but that is not even slightly related to voting. People can register to vote despite not being able to drive at all, having a suspended license, or perhaps not even knowing what a car is.

* I had no issues with an MD registered car and a FL license or vice versa. This is 100% routine around any college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

College students violate this "rule" constantly. The MVA might be angry with you if you keep an out of state license*, but that is not even slightly related to voting. People can register to vote despite not being able to drive at all, having a suspended license, or perhaps not even knowing what a car is.

* I had no issues with an MD registered car and a FL license or vice versa. This is 100% routine around any college.

Thanks for mentioning that - I think that that exemption is valid for students as well - as long as their official residence is still in their home state.  When my oldest daughter was attending Francis Marion in Florence, SC - she kept a VA license for the 1st 6 months, but we decided that it would be much cheaper for her to establish SC residency for the remainder of her time in college, so she switched everything to Darlington. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Thanks for mentioning that - I think that that exemption is valid for students as well - as long as their official residence is still in their home state.  When my oldest daughter was attending Francis Marion in Florence, SC - she kept a VA license for the 1st 6 months, but we decided that it would be much cheaper for her to establish SC residency for the remainder of her time in college, so she switched everything to Darlington. 

Yep, freebie school aid is much easier to get if you game the system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Yep, freebie school aid is much easier to get if you game the system.

WTF is your problem?   What gaming the system?  She moved to SC permanently, satisfied the requirements of residency, and we paid out of state tuition until she did. Go piss up a rope - or tell me WTF you're on about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So let's say you are a snowbird and spend summers in Utah and winters in floriduh.  Should you get a new drivers license every solstice?  Should you also re register to vote?  Or just chose one to vote in and one to maintain licensure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

So let's say you are a snowbird and spend summers in Utah and winters in floriduh.  Should you get a new drivers license every solstice?  Should you also re register to vote?  Or just chose one to vote in and one to maintain licensure?

Interesting question - and I don't know how temporary residency impacts one's enrollment in voter rolls.  My off-the-cuff answer is that I don't think you can legally be on the rolls in both places concurrently -  or you'd be able to vote twice in a national election. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Interesting question - and I don't know how temporary residency impacts one's enrollment in voter rolls.  My off-the-cuff answer is that I don't think you can legally be on the rolls in both places concurrently -  or you'd be able to vote twice in a national election. 

That is true. Ann coulter and Steve bannon tried that and got caught.  You can't be registered in two places at the same time.  Now most would declare residency in the most tax advantageous state and register to vote there.  But that has no bearing on where they get licensed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's so sad that Republicans keep feeling the need to bring up Hillary, when The Donald is passing her legislation for her!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

That is true. Ann coulter and Steve bannon tried that and got caught.  You can't be registered in two places at the same time.  Now most would declare residency in the most tax advantageous state and register to vote there.  But that has no bearing on where they get licensed.

Aside from the  previously referenced fact that most states have laws that require you to establish your driver's license in that state within 30 days of establishing residence.  Failure to do so is a civil infraction, if I'm not mistaken.  I have several friends who have established domicile at their DE beach houses to avoid paying VA personal property taxes, and they don't get to vote in VA elections. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys with out of state issues are the least of the issues.  

 

The question is how to prevent spinning news or fake news on the WWW. The mainstream media has little credibility.  Their sole motivation is to make money- fuck credibility -- be first with the news (vs facts) and get ratings.    Because no one trusts NBC, ABC or CBS and since FOX and CNN are on two ends of the spectrum the public looks for news from "regular people". The reality is these "regular people" are shills.  

Fix the news issue and you solve the elelction issue

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Snore said:

Guys with out of state issues are the least of the issues.  

 

The question is how to prevent spinning news or fake news on the WWW. The mainstream media has little credibility.  Their sole motivation is to make money- fuck credibility -- be first with the news (vs facts) and get ratings.    Because no one right-wing paranoids trust NBC, ABC or CBS and since FOX and CNN are on two ends of the spectrum the public looks for news from "regular people". The reality is these "regular people" are shills.  

Fix the news issue and you solve the elelction issue

 

 

FIFY

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Aside from the  previously referenced fact that most states have laws that require you to establish your driver's license in that state within 30 days of establishing residence.  Failure to do so is a civil infraction, if I'm not mistaken.  I have several friends who have established domicile at their DE beach houses to avoid paying VA personal property taxes, and they don't get to vote in VA elections. 

You can have a domicile anywhere and many if you want.  Where you declare residency is where you should also register to vote, and possibly where you license.  However, it's not universal.  Gets even trickier where you register your car.  Where you license is unrelated to voter registration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Aside from the  previously referenced fact that most states have laws that require you to establish your driver's license in that state within 30 days of establishing residence.  Failure to do so is a civil infraction, if I'm not mistaken.  I have several friends who have established domicile at their DE beach houses to avoid paying VA personal property taxes, and they don't get to vote in VA elections. 

Only if you own and regularly drive a vehicle within that state.

There is no requirement to have a drivers license at all.

Jeebus what kind of fascist police-state do you think this is? "Your papers are not in order."

Many people who rent property and use public transport (ie a large number of people in low-wage jobs) don't own cars at all and don't have drivers licenses.

However if you believe that poor people shouldn't vote anyway, it's fine.

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Only if you own and regularly drive a vehicle within that state.

There is no requirement to have a drivers license at all.

Jeebus what kind of fascist police-state do you think this is? "Your papers are not in order."

Many people who rent property and use public transport (ie a large number of people in low-wage jobs) don't own cars at all and don't have drivers licenses.

However if you believe that poor people shouldn't vote anyway, it's fine.

-DSK

Did anyone assert any of those things?   IIRC, the basis for this discussion was someone who did have a driver's license, and offered that as a form of ID, and was denied because that license was from another state.   I don't recall anyone at all suggesting that a D/L was required to vote - rather, the discussion was centered around the legal requirement to vote in only one state, and how residency in that state was established.  If you believe that simply "being there" gives you the right to vote, I can understand how satisfying the residency requirements would upset you. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Did anyone assert any of those things?   IIRC, the basis for this discussion was someone who did have a driver's license, and offered that as a form of ID, and was denied because that license was from another state.   I don't recall anyone at all suggesting that a D/L was required to vote - rather, the discussion was centered around the legal requirement to vote in only one state, and how residency in that state was established.  If you believe that simply "being there" gives you the right to vote, I can understand how satisfying the residency requirements would upset you. 

 

Actually, where I vote, the voter roll is right in front of the proctor (who is a volunteer, and a neighbor/friend). If somebody shows up and presents ANY kind of ID, if they are not on the roll, they can only vote via a provisional ballot which will only be counted after being verified and if the election is close enough that all the absentee and provisional ballots will make a difference.

And yes, people have asserted those very things. Some have said that college students should not be allowed to vote. Means testing and poll taxes have a surprisingly vocal support (although a lot of the people who support those ideas don't know enough history to know those terms). Surprisingly, 99% of this is coming from (drumroll please) the Republican Party.

I am well aware that the system which works in my small town will not work on a national scale. However I can guaran-dam-tee that there is zero voter fraud in this district, and the form of ID one presents is irrelevant.

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Actually, where I vote, the voter roll is right in front of the proctor (who is a volunteer, and a neighbor/friend). If somebody shows up and presents ANY kind of ID, if they are not on the roll, they can only vote via a provisional ballot which will only be counted after being verified and if the election is close enough that all the absentee and provisional ballots will make a difference.

And yes, people have asserted those very things. Some have said that college students should not be allowed to vote. Means testing and poll taxes have a surprisingly vocal support (although a lot of the people who support those ideas don't know enough history to know those terms). Surprisingly, 99% of this is coming from (drumroll please) the Republican Party.

I am well aware that the system which works in my small town will not work on a national scale. However I can guaran-dam-tee that there is zero voter fraud in this district, and the form of ID one presents is irrelevant.

-DSK

In this discussion?  What would your registrar do if someone unregistered tried to vote with an ID that indicated that they were not a resident of that district?  That's the crux of this discussion, not any of the other tangential bullshit that you're trying to fling in your constant desire to discredit anyone who doesn't worship at the Democratic alter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

In this discussion?  What would your registrar do if someone unregistered tried to vote with an ID that indicated that they were not a resident of that district?  That's the crux of this discussion, not any of the other tangential bullshit that you're trying to fling in your constant desire to discredit anyone who doesn't worship at the Democratic alter. 

How would they get a ballot it they weren't registered?  I have shown up to vote at the wrong precinct and I wasn't on the list of registered voters and the little old lady turned me away.  I think I heard her say fuck off asshole as I left too, much to the entertainment of the others waiting in line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spatial Ed said:

How would they get a ballot it they weren't registered?  I have shown up to vote at the wrong precinct and I wasn't on the list of registered voters and the little old lady turned me away.  I think I heard her say fuck off asshole as I left too, much to the entertainment of the others waiting in line.

Did you read Steamer's description of his localities voting rules?  Rephrasing: " If you're not on the rolls, and provide an approved form of ID, you can submit a provisional ballot".  My question ^^^^ was what would happen if that approved form of ID indicated that the person was not a resident of that district.  I've had similar experiences when our polling places moved - I went to the school where I'd voted in previous years to find out that THAT polling location was now assigned to a different precinct. My fault, didn't pay attention, and the folks there told me (nicely) where to go.    

Perhaps if you weren't recruiting for casting calls at the polling places - you might have had a better reception. ;-) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FIFY

-DSK

 

52 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

The issue is the populace and the news they choose to consume.

So let me get this straight. When CNN runs a false story that is ok?  When the NYT or Washington Post gets it wrong, that is OK?  I have seen reporters reporting on storms that were non-events carry on like it was Armageddon.  

SA is the only social media, I really engage in. FP, etc is BS. I get my news from CNN, Fox and the NYT, somewhere between the three is the truth.  But looking for the truth should not be an effort.  I KNOW that CNN and the NYT will find the most unflattering picture of DJT to put as the lead to a story   I KNOW that Fox will present him as The Messiah---- for the same story!  Each will have talking heads that say how wrong or right DJT is.

That is not news that is spin and bullshit!  Tell me what happened and STFU  

 

cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

The issue is the populace and the news they choose to consume.

The issue is that whatever news they consume it is unreliable--- see above

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Did you read Steamer's description of his localities voting rules?  Rephrasing: " If you're not on the rolls, and provide an approved form of ID, you can submit a provisional ballot".  My question ^^^^ was what would happen if that approved form of ID indicated that the person was not a resident of that district.  I've had similar experiences when our polling places moved - I went to the school where I'd voted in previous years to find out that THAT polling location was now assigned to a different precinct. My fault, didn't pay attention, and the folks there told me (nicely) where to go.    

Perhaps if you weren't recruiting for casting calls at the polling places - you might have had a better reception. ;-) 

 

The fucker that runs my polling place needs to clean up his act. Last time? I had 3 women looking over my shoulder when I completed the ballot. Completely unacceptable! And they didn't ask for ID either!  What the hell?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Did you read Steamer's description of his localities voting rules?  Rephrasing: " If you're not on the rolls, and provide an approved form of ID, you can submit a provisional ballot".  My question ^^^^ was what would happen if that approved form of ID indicated that the person was not a resident of that district.  I've had similar experiences when our polling places moved - I went to the school where I'd voted in previous years to find out that THAT polling location was now assigned to a different precinct. My fault, didn't pay attention, and the folks there told me (nicely) where to go.    

Perhaps if you weren't recruiting for casting calls at the polling places - you might have had a better reception. ;-) 

 

That's not quite what I said, but that's OK. To answer your question, as of now, North Carolina has laws that requiring people running a polling place to give a ballot to anyone who shows up, a provisional ballot. That ballot will only be counted if two things happen- one, the election is close enough that the number of absentee & provisional ballots would affect the outcome, which rarely happens; two- if that ballot is submitted by a registered NC voter.

Our polling place is run by non partisan volunteers; I don't know if all are in NC... I don't think so.

If somebody who was on the rolls and unknown to any of the proctors, I suspect the first thing that would happen is they would say "Hey, anybody know this person?" regardless of what kind of ID they presented. A lot of local residents have more than one home and many of them vote 'back up north' some where.

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snore said:

 

So let me get this straight. When CNN runs a false story that is ok?  When the NYT or Washington Post gets it wrong, that is OK?  I have seen reporters reporting on storms that were non-events carry on like it was Armageddon.  

SA is the only social media, I really engage in. FP, etc is BS. I get my news from CNN, Fox and the NYT, somewhere between the three is the truth.  But looking for the truth should not be an effort.  I KNOW that CNN and the NYT will find the most unflattering picture of DJT to put as the lead to a story   I KNOW that Fox will present him as The Messiah---- for the same story!  Each will have talking heads that say how wrong or right DJT is.

That is not news that is spin and bullshit!  Tell me what happened and STFU  

 

cheers

 

 

Most news companies will fire a reporter who knowingly falsifies a story. This has happened recently at CNN and the NYT

This is one reason why many people don't consider FOX to be "news" because they don't follow this practice. It has happened in a few really bad examples.

Using storm reporting as an attack on media is rather futile. Is the forecast "fake news" when it's not exactly right?

The problem with "just the facts" reporting is that 1- most reporters are ignorant as dogshit about anything outside the media world and 2- they are in a big hurry. They will present the easy and obvious facts, sometimes those facts are true but not really presenting an accurate overall picture. Kinda like statistics. Then there is also cherry-picking (in news and statistics) but this usually backfires, which is (again) why people mock FOX news.

Didja see Sean Spicer on late nite TV? He talked a little about this, seemed like a fairly sensible guy actually.

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steam

Saw the NYT article and then watched the video. Love to have a drink or 3 with the guy.  Would not trust him to do PR for a hot dog stand.  He almost put his foot in it with "2 wrongs don't make a right".

The issue with firing is that it is too little too late.  The goal should be get it right the first time- even if it takes time.  But that will never happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Spatial Ed said:

Why does the state that licenses you to drive be the only place you can vote?  

Or carry concealed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Moderate said:

Or carry concealed

Do you have licenses for each of your socks?  How do you keep them straight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Raz'r said:

She lost, why should I read her interview?

Then why comment on this thread when you don't know what it's about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rockdog said:

Then why comment on this thread when you don't know what it's about?

I find the right's obsession with all things Hillary quite humorous. Poor Rightwing Radio lost the biggest ratings boost they ever had.  All things Clinton all-the-time no longer works. So sad.  Fox might actually have to go neutral on their coverage...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I spent years living in Maryland with a Hawaii license and a Florida license and voted in Maryland just fine. FYI

Thanks. About what I expected. It would seem Rockdog's imagination is as blinkered as his beliefs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/09/2017 at 7:08 AM, Bent Sailor said:

Didn't need nor get a drivers license until I was 28. Not everyone has or needs a car.

Edit: I did, however, go through the trouble of registering to vote. Just because I didn't drive doesn't mean I don't want to vote.

I stopped riding the bus or having my mom drive me around at 16 when I bought my first car. Voting is for idiots, suckers, fools and mouth breathing morons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mickey Rat said:

I stopped riding the bus or having my mom drive me around at 16 when I bought my first car.

That's great. I stopped taking the bus when I no longer needed it when going to school. Left home about the age you chose to buy a car. Chose to live within walking distance of everything I needed to get to locally. Took the train into university and the office after that. Saved quite a bit of money not needing to register, insure, and otherwise maintain a car I did not need.

But good for you. You got a car at 16. I'm sure that makes you proud. Cherish that.

 

1 hour ago, Mickey Rat said:

Voting is for idiots, suckers, fools and mouth breathing morons.

It's also how democratic governments get elected. If those that vote are idiots, fools, and morons - just how much worse are those that complain about those elected to government but cannot be bothered voting for someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

It's also how democratic governments get elected. 

Representative democracy, remember Hillary actually won the popular vote and Bernie was cheated out of the nomination. That's how you got tiny hands the orange haired clown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mickey Rat said:

Representative democracy, remember Hillary actually won the popular vote and Bernie was cheated out of the nomination. That's how you got tiny hands the orange haired clown. 

A representative democracy is still a democracy. A person that chooses not to vote and then complains about the results deserves nothing but ridicule.

Neither the Republican Party nor Democratic Party are representative democracies - they are political parties with their own rules of nomination and appointment to positions within it. Bernie knew that when he decided to cynically adopt the Democratic moniker in an attempt to become president. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bent Sailor said:

A representative democracy is still a democracy. A person that chooses not to vote and then complains about the results deserves nothing but ridicule.

Neither the Republican Party nor Democratic Party are representative democracies - they are political parties with their own rules of nomination and appointment to positions within it. Bernie knew that when he decided to cynically adopt the Democratic moniker in an attempt to become president. 

Standard talking points, basically they choose you vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2017 at 9:04 AM, Bent Sailor said:

Thanks for your added clarity.

I can't imagine anyone thinking that a valid drivers wouldn't qualify as valid identification. He's allowed to drive with it, the police accept it, why shouldn't a polling place? Going to get a new drivers license when your current one is valid and accepted by the government for so many other identification purposes seems like a waste of time to me.

Actually, the new rules in the US require you to have a REAL ID driver's license or Passport in order to fly domestically.  So not only is a DL a valid form of ID, its a required form of ID for many many things in the US.  Not everyone in the US has a passport, so the DL substitutes for that as long as it meets certain criteria.

Non-REAL ID driver's licenses do not qualify as valid ID, as many states previously cared little about verifying that the person on the DL was actually a US citizen or took much time to verify that the person was actually the person applying for the card.  The change-over to REAL ID is supposed to address that. 

You're welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2017 at 4:52 AM, kent_island_sailor said:

she came across as utterly arrogant and seemed annoyed to even have to deal with Ms. Martin's impertinent questions. My favorite was white women didn't vote for her because their husbands, fathers, and bosses told them not to. You could just feel Ms. Martin going WTF???

 

Yeah, I listened to the interview the other day.  I was saying WTF as well.  

BTW - Hillary who?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

College students violate this "rule" constantly. The MVA might be angry with you if you keep an out of state license*, but that is not even slightly related to voting. People can register to vote despite not being able to drive at all, having a suspended license, or perhaps not even knowing what a car is.

* I had no issues with an MD registered car and a FL license or vice versa. This is 100% routine around any college.

This is what they make absentee ballots for.  College students with say a FL residency but going to school in CA should not be able to vote in CA elections.  They should have to send in an Absentee ballot to FL or change their permanent residency to CA and give up their FL rights.  You can't have it both ways.

It was the same for me in the military.  I maintained a FL residency my entire career until I retired and changed it to NV.  In all the locations I lived, I was not supposed to vote in that location but rather send an absentee ballot back to FL.  If for instance I had a burning desire to vote in NC while stationed there, I would have had to go through the process of changing my residency, get a NC DL and give up my FL one.  

One of the issues with our fucked up voting system is that there really is nothing that prevents a college student from voting both in their home locale as well as voting at their campus locale voting station.  To my knowledge there are zero checks and balances to see if people are voting in more than one place.  I seriously doubt there is anyway to really stop someone from being registered to vote in multiple places.  I'm sure at one point I was registered to vote in FL, NC and NV simultaneously because just getting a new DL doesn't necessarily drop you out of the other state's voter rolls automatically.  And had I chosen to break the law and vote in all three states, which I was careful not to, I'm sure no one would have had a clue.  And given the fact that there is so little way of knowing, I'm betting this happens far more often than we suspect.  

Edit to add - one of the flaws in our current voting system is that it is based on the old 1950's paradigm that  most people in the US don't move around much.  With our modern nomadic society and people sometimes moving year to year in some cases for jobs - I think we need to find a better way to do this registration and voting thing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Actually, the new rules in the US require you to have a REAL ID driver's license or Passport in order to fly domestically.  So not only is a DL a valid form of ID, its a required form of ID for many many things in the US.  Not everyone in the US has a passport, so the DL substitutes for that as long as it meets certain criteria.

Non-REAL ID driver's licenses do not qualify as valid ID, as many states previously cared little about verifying that the person on the DL was actually a US citizen or took much time to verify that the person was actually the person applying for the card.  The change-over to REAL ID is supposed to address that. 

You're welcome.

You seem to be addressing someone else. Perhaps find the person that was complaining abut REAL vs non-REAL driver's licenses and quote them so they're aware of your response to their post. Wouldn't want it to get lost by them thinking it's to do with my post instead.

You're welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

whatever you say siri.

Don't get precious, Princess. It clashes with the macho "burn the bitch down" image you're trying to project. :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

You seem to be addressing someone else. Perhaps find the person that was complaining abut REAL vs non-REAL driver's licenses and quote them so they're aware of your response to their post. Wouldn't want it to get lost by them thinking it's to do with my post instead.

You're welcome.

 

 

Bent Siri.aiff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

This is what they make absentee ballots for.  College students with say a FL residency but going to school in CA should not be able to vote in CA elections.  They should have to send in an Absentee ballot to FL or change their permanent residency to CA and give up their FL rights.  You can't have it both ways.

It was the same for me in the military.  I maintained a FL residency my entire career until I retired and changed it to NV.  In all the locations I lived, I was not supposed to vote in that location but rather send an absentee ballot back to FL.  If for instance I had a burning desire to vote in NC while stationed there, I would have had to go through the process of changing my residency, get a NC DL and give up my FL one.  

One of the issues with our fucked up voting system is that there really is nothing that prevents a college student from voting both in their home locale as well as voting at their campus locale voting station.  To my knowledge there are zero checks and balances to see if people are voting in more than one place.  I seriously doubt there is anyway to really stop someone from being registered to vote in multiple places.  I'm sure at one point I was registered to vote in FL, NC and NV simultaneously because just getting a new DL doesn't necessarily drop you out of the other state's voter rolls automatically.  And had I chosen to break the law and vote in all three states, which I was careful not to, I'm sure no one would have had a clue.  And given the fact that there is so little way of knowing, I'm betting this happens far more often than we suspect.  

Edit to add - one of the flaws in our current voting system is that it is based on the old 1950's paradigm that  most people in the US don't move around much.  With our modern nomadic society and people sometimes moving year to year in some cases for jobs - I think we need to find a better way to do this registration and voting thing.  

You are once again confusing driver's license with residency. I never claimed to be a Florida resident for IRS or voting purposes and my pilot's license had my Maryland address. When I had to renew my driver's license, I didn't feel like driving 1,000 miles to do it so I went to the Florida DMV and got a Florida license using my address at the flight school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

You are once again confusing driver's license with residency. I never claimed to be a Florida resident for IRS or voting purposes and my pilot's license had my Maryland address. When I had to renew my driver's license, I didn't feel like driving 1,000 miles to do it so I went to the Florida DMV and got a Florida license using my address at the flight school.

No, I'm not.  Go back and re-read that again.  What I am saying is that you should only be allowed to vote in the place where you maintain your residency.  If you don't like that, then change your residency or vote absentee.  Or don't vote.  Typically however, a State DL IS proof of residency in most place as most states technically require you to get a new DL if you move to their state.  That they don't enforce that well and you've gotten away with it for convenience doesn't make it right.  FWIW, I've been able to renew my DL on line for over 15 years now in both FL and NV, so I'm sorry about your inconvenience of not wanting to drive 1000 miles.  

The reason the DL thing comes into this discussion is because typically most places allow you to voter register upon getting a new DL.  Motor-voter and all that.  So I'm betting that if you had wanted to, you could have easily registered to vote in FL while still being registered to vote in MD as well.  And I doubt there are many mechanisms to catch you if you wanted to vote in both places.  

And personally, I think we should do away with State DL's and go to a federal DL.  Why is driving in CT different than driving in AZ?  Same laws, Same signs, same roads.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Raz'r said:

The fucker that runs my polling place needs to clean up his act. Last time? I had 3 women looking over my shoulder when I completed the ballot. Completely unacceptable! And they didn't ask for ID either!  What the hell?

You weren't in a curtained enclosure that provided privacy?  I thought that that was a requirement? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I find the right's obsession with all things Hillary quite humorous. Poor Rightwing Radio lost the biggest ratings boost they ever had.  All things Clinton all-the-time no longer works. So sad.  Fox might actually have to go neutral on their coverage...

She put herself back out there w/the book & recent NPR interview. The tone of her comments reminds me of why I so adamantly opposed her candidacy, and her stated intentions to influence policy, coupled with the access to decision makers that she'll continue to have warrants the attention. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

You are once again confusing driver's license with residency. I never claimed to be a Florida resident for IRS or voting purposes and my pilot's license had my Maryland address. When I had to renew my driver's license, I didn't feel like driving 1,000 miles to do it so I went to the Florida DMV and got a Florida license using my address at the flight school.

I'm confused - the act you describe establishes your residency in FL, does it not?  Can you get a driver's license in a state that's not your state of residence?  I do equate your driver's license to official residency, if I'm mistaken in doing so, I'd appreciate being squared away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I'm confused - the act you describe establishes your residency in FL, does it not?  Can you get a driver's license in a state that's not your state of residence?  I do equate your driver's license to official residency, if I'm mistaken in doing so, I'd appreciate being squared away. 

There are PLENTY of people that have places to live in more than one state. The IRS has rules for what state you can claim for tax purposes. The local voter registration people have their own rules for voting and I have no idea if they have any way to cross-check against other states. The DMV - at least back when I was in flight school - wanted an in-state address of some kind. They never asked how long I spent there and the IRS couldn't have cared less. If you try and pull something clever like work in MD and "live" at a PO Box in no-tax DE they might come around looking for proof of where you actually live.

 

* the voting thing gets interesting when you have a vacation house and the 10% of the population that lives there year-round votes on the taxes for the other 90%. I know of people that tried to get some kind of "local voter" rule enacted to be able to vote on town issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

You weren't in a curtained enclosure that provided privacy?  I thought that that was a requirement? 

The only curtained enclosures in my house are in the shower. Why would I fill out my vote in the shower?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

She put herself back out there w/the book & recent NPR interview. The tone of her comments reminds me of why I so adamantly opposed her candidacy, and her stated intentions to influence policy, coupled with the access to decision makers that she'll continue to have warrants the attention. 

 

Put her on Ignore. That's what I've done. Clears up the noise quite well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

You were describing your living room as a polling place?  

 

of course.  It's where I vote. And they don't even ask for ID!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

No, I'm not.  Go back and re-read that again.  What I am saying is that you should only be allowed to vote in the place where you maintain your residency.  If you don't like that, then change your residency or vote absentee....   ...    ...

So you've changed your mind about college students voting?

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites