• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
badlatitude

The Good News Today is Martin Shkreli Goes Back To Jail

25 posts in this topic

"A federal judge on Wednesday revoked the $5 million bail of Martin Shkreli, the infamous former hedge fund manager convicted of defrauding investors, after prosecutors complained that his out-of-court antics posed a danger to the community.

While awaiting sentencing, Shkreli has harassed women online, prosecutors argued, and even offered his Facebook followers $5,000 to grab a strand of Hillary Clinton’s hair during her book tour. Shkreli, who faces up to 20 years in prison, apologized saying that he did not expect anyone to take his online comments seriously.

“He does not need to apologize to me. He should have apologized to the government, the Secret Service, and Hillary Clinton,” said U.S. District Judge Kiyo Matsumoto, in revoking his bond.

“This is a solicitation of assault. That is not protected by the First Amendment.”

Shkreli was taken into custody immediately after the hour-long hearing. He did not visibly react though he appeared more nervous than when he entered court. He will remain jailed until his sentencing hearing, later this fall.

Shkreli’s attorneys argued that his comments, while distasteful, did not make him dangerous. “I understand now, that some may have read my comments about Mrs. Clinton as threatening, when that was never my intention when making those comments,” Shkreli said in an earlier letter to the judge.

“It never occurred to me that my awkward attempt at humor or satire would cause Mrs. Clinton or the Secret Service any distress.”

Shkreli’s attorney called his client’s conduct “stupid” but begged the judge to give him another chance.

“He has a way of courting controversy” that has continued since he was convicted, Matsumoto said."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/09/13/martin-shkreli-apologizes-for-facebook-post-about-hillary-clinton/?pushid=59b9b0285ea55a1d00000030&tid=notifi_push_breaking-news&utm_term=.0e3a6408b1bf

Have to wonder of while the lawyer was pleading to keep his client out on bail he was winking at the judge, signalling: 

"Yeah, this is what I gotta say...but pleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease put this clown of a client of mine in the can for at least a week or so. The kid needs a dose of reality, the sooner the better. Got an acute case of affluenza, worst I've ever seen. Beyond my abilities to help, and believe me I've tried." 

About the only good thing I've seen all day. When it seems like all you see is the worst in people, seeing someone bear the consequences of displaying the worst, is cathartic. 

Yes, he knows he's a prick. He also knows he's fucked.

The world is a tiny bit better today.

Maybe he won't survive his stay in prison - with his attitude he'll do very hard time.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The world is a tiny bit better today.

Maybe he won't survive his stay in prison - with his attitude he'll do very hard time.

I read that it will probably be the metro detention center, which I assume isn't the easy ride of the federal center.

12 hours ago, Mark K said:

Have to wonder of while the lawyer was pleading to keep his client out on bail he was winking at the judge, signalling: 

"Yeah, this is what I gotta say...but pleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease put this clown of a client of mine in the can for at least a week or so. The kid needs a dose of reality, the sooner the better. Got an acute case of affluenza, worst I've ever seen. Beyond my abilities to help, and believe me I've tried." 

+1

14 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

About the only good thing I've seen all day. When it seems like all you see is the worst in people, seeing someone bear the consequences of displaying the worst, is cathartic. 

indeed - I question the validity of the reason for revoking his bail, but, am happy with the outcome - Shkreli arrogantly thinks that he knows more than everyone else, and that the rules are for other people.  This will disavow him of that notion. 

22 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

indeed - I question the validity of the reason for revoking his bail, but, am happy with the outcome - Shkreli arrogantly thinks that he knows more than everyone else, and that the rules are for other people.  This will disavow him of that notion. 

Remind you of anyone else?...... Someone currently in the White house, maybe? (Or on a golf course)

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Remind you of anyone else?...... Someone currently in the White house, maybe? (Or on a golf course)

Yup - and the one who ran against him as well. 

On 9/14/2017 at 9:48 AM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

He has been begging to be made an example-of for a long time.  Even if he chose someone without secret service protection, he would have likely had his bail revoked.  He really should have tried to be on his best behavior until after sentencing.  Might this play a roll in the choice between minimum/medium/maximum security prison?  

He'll be a prison bitch.......

21 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

He has been begging to be made an example-of for a long time.  Even if he chose someone without secret service protection, he would have likely had his bail revoked.  He really should have tried to be on his best behavior until after sentencing.  Might this play a roll in the choice between minimum/medium/maximum security prison?  

Interesting hijack - what DOES factor into that decision?  Does sentencing include a determination of the incarceration facility?  I'd think flight risk, and the nature of the crime would be factors, but, does the perpetrator's demeanor factor?  Honest question - i don't know how any of this works. 

2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Interesting hijack - what DOES factor into that decision?  Does sentencing include a determination of the incarceration facility?  I'd think flight risk, and the nature of the crime would be factors, but, does the perpetrator's demeanor factor?  Honest question - i don't know how any of this works. 

He's clearly demonstrated he is a violent threat to society.  That should play into the degree of security needed to imprison him.

1 minute ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Not my specialty, but he had his bail revoked for being a danger to society.  Pretty sure that is the factor that decides the level of security at sentencing.  And his demeanor will certainly play some role.  We always hear how remorseful someone is.  "My client is very remorseful your Honor, he cries himself to sleep every night."  Compare that with "my client is from Wall Street, your honor.  He thinks that he is the smartest guy in the room and that the rest of us are a bunch of rubes and that this whole process is stupid."  

I know someone who went up for financial crimes that were non-violent, but still hurt investors.  He got Medium security.  Not a field trip.  

Blaggo ended up in a medium security prison.  Along with Subway Jarod.  Jarod got his sandwich handed to him.

17 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Not my specialty, but he had his bail revoked for being a danger to society.  Pretty sure that is the factor that decides the level of security at sentencing.  And his demeanor will certainly play some role.  We always hear how remorseful someone is.  "My client is very remorseful your Honor, he cries himself to sleep every night."  Compare that with "my client is from Wall Street, your honor.  He thinks that he is the smartest guy in the room and that the rest of us are a bunch of rubes and that this whole process is stupid."  

I know someone who went up for financial crimes that were non-violent, but still hurt investors.  He got Medium security.  Not a field trip.  

I don't know that any federal incarceration facility would be a field trip - is the commonly held idea that there are "white collar" prisons valid?  Couple guys I used to fly with in the military were COs, and they said that they had everyone from embezzlers to psychopathic murderers in the same facility. 

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I don't know that any federal incarceration facility would be a field trip - is the commonly held idea that there are "white collar" prisons valid?  Couple guys I used to fly with in the military were COs, and they said that they had everyone from embezzlers to psychopathic murderers in the same facility. 

Prison is prison, but back in the day, the swindlers down in these parts went to Eglin AFB, which was supposed to be a bit of a country club.  Guys came out without being completely transformed into hardened criminals, unlike the real prisons....

I believe the usual criteria for max security is physical danger to the public, staff and other prisoners and the risk of escape attempts.

I don't think white collar criminals often go to max.

That smug little cunt should get the max possible though - how many people died from his price gouging?

On 9/15/2017 at 10:18 AM, SloopJonB said:

I believe the usual criteria for max security is physical danger to the public, staff and other prisoners and the risk of escape attempts.

I don't think white collar criminals often go to max.

That smug little cunt should get the max possible though - how many people died from his price gouging?

It's fairly typical for celebs to get protective custody in jails. It's a wee bit more complicated in prisons but they try to do that to them there too. The problem is the inevitable s-storm of something happening to them. In CA they try every trick they can think of to release them immediately, as in Lindey Lohan. Celebs can't disappear. 

Protective custody IS max.  

I doubt there would be any shit storm if that little cunt got shanked or similar.

In fact I suspect a very large number of people would be quite happy.

Does anyone actually like this guy? I mean in real life... I can't imagine even that his mother likes him, if she hasn't died because she couldn't afford her meds....