• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
BC Boy

Beveled block below winch?

5 posts in this topic

I have a Crown 28 cruiser. Removed the jib sheet winches- Barlow 20's- for maintenance and to replace the rotten wooden blocks which had been placed between the winch and the boat rail. Upon removal I've found that the port side block is beveled, creating a more-or-less level condition (the rail is slightly sloped outward), but the starboard block is not. I'm guessing that the bevel is to help prevent override of the sheet. This seems wise, but curious that the starboard block isn't similarly beveled. I don't recall any more overrides on that side but we generally don't push this boat too hard and aren't in too much of a hurry..

Anyone care to offer an opinion as to whether the bevel is necessary? I'm fabricating new blocks (this time out of nylon).

Thanks.

I easily made mine with the required bevel by using 404 thickened epoxy with a little bit of white pigment and then pouring it in a teflon pie mold of appropriate circumference and sticking it on the sloped surface.  Then fill mold with epoxy and when cured you will have an nice beveled block that you can glue in place.  If the boat is on the dock and rolling then just measure the angle and shim the pie mold appropriately in terra firma.

1 hour ago, BC Boy said:

I have a Crown 28 cruiser. Removed the jib sheet winches- Barlow 20's- for maintenance and to replace the rotten wooden blocks which had been placed between the winch and the boat rail. Upon removal I've found that the port side block is beveled, creating a more-or-less level condition (the rail is slightly sloped outward), but the starboard block is not. I'm guessing that the bevel is to help prevent override of the sheet. This seems wise, but curious that the starboard block isn't similarly beveled. I don't recall any more overrides on that side but we generally don't push this boat too hard and aren't in too much of a hurry..

Anyone care to offer an opinion as to whether the bevel is necessary? I'm fabricating new blocks (this time out of nylon).

Thanks.

The winch wraps clockwise from the bottom up. Think about the dynamics of an override and you'll have your answer. That said, you can't go wrong with both winches level and with a fair lead of the sheets.

Thanks for the info. I'll try level pads under the theory that I can always bevel them, but that it's difficult to un-bevel them..

Nylon will not have much life in the sun, very low UV resistance. It would be better to use something like Starboard (a UV stabilized UHMW PE), G10 fiberglass would be better still.