• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
bmiller

Darwin doubled down here in our small town.

34 posts in this topic

Short story: Two guys in their 70's somehow got permission to "test drive" a Dodge Hellcat on the runway at Central Colorado Airport. 

They wound up 650 feet beyond the end of the runway in a mangled $80,000 Mopar. 

I'll bet the airport ops guy is shitting his pants right now.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/10/friends-speed-testing-sports-car-runway-killed/

Thelma and Louise redux.

What I want to know is why are there multiple ravines at the end of the runway? Some sort of cheap catch fence?

22 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

What I want to know is why are there multiple ravines at the end of the runway? 

Because they cause serious problems in the middle of the runway. Duh !

what were those cameras with "Grand Tour" doing on the side of the runway ?

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Buckette liste suisides?

Lots of speculation about that around town, but there were skid marks near the end of the runway.

17 minutes ago, dacapo said:

what were those cameras with "Grand Tour" doing on the side of the runway ?

Not sure what cameras you are referring to but the Colorado Grand just went through yesterday. A rally for vintage race cars "of distinction" .It was pretty cool watching them. http://co1000.com/

42 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Lots of speculation about that around town, but there were skid marks near the end of the runway.

Not sure what cameras you are referring to but the Colorado Grand just went through yesterday. A rally for vintage race cars "of distinction" .It was pretty cool watching them. http://co1000.com/

the old Top Gear...now Grand Tour  ;-)

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Those cars are definitely very cool.

3 hours ago, bmiller said:

Indecision.......get you every time.

Nope - he was well off to the side.

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Thelma and Louise redux.

What I want to know is why are there multiple ravines at the end of the runway? Some sort of cheap catch fence?

It is a bumfuck Colorado (no offence B ) airport not an intl like DIA or even Centennial.  I think the biggest thing they can get in there is a DC10, so I think the ravines are not much of a concern.   

Info..

https://www.codot.gov/programs/aeronautics/colorado-airport-system/general-aviation-airports/ga-airports-a-b/AEJ 

2 hours ago, shaggy said:

It is a bumfuck Colorado (no offence B ) airport not an intl like DIA or even Centennial.  I think the biggest thing they can get in there is a DC10, so I think the ravines are not much of a concern.

I imagine those two were concerned - for a few seconds anyway.

7 hours ago, bmiller said:

I'm guessing there were skid marks in their boxer shorts, too.

Given they were both in their 70's, odds are their gene's were already spread.  unfortunately disqualifying from Darwin award... :(

Steak knives are on order...

650 feet off the end of the runway...awesome! He was probably confused and pulling hard to rotate.

5 minutes ago, Chum said:

650 feet off the end of the runway...awesome! He was probably confused and pulling hard to rotate.

Probably hollering "Gear UP dammit" the whole way down

-DSK

Making the jump to hyperspace ain't like dustin' crops kid. Hellcats are known to make the jump to light speed, you have to know how to handle your business.

When I die I wanna die in my sleep like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming bloody murder like the people in his car at the time 

8 hours ago, shaggy said:

Info..

https://www.codot.gov/programs/aeronautics/colorado-airport-system/general-aviation-airports/ga-airports-a-b/AEJ 

That DC10 reference must have been a typo. 

The "ravines" are more like gullies beyond the fence line.

A private 727 landed here several years ago when Aspen was full. That pilot got in a lot of trouble for it.

We get lots of military traffic up here as well as testing of new aircraft, mostly helicopters. They fly between BV and the airport at Leadville.

Old guy rolls with Jay Leno in 'Hemi Under Glass'

When do they take old guys licenses away from them?

Hell, you don't even need a runway to fuckfuck...

The problem with that is any "age" is arbitrary. Cali has a provision that after age 70 DL must be renewed in person at the DMV unlike the rest of the population which can renew on line. (Which in Cali is otherwise known as the entrance to the pit of hell). At the DMV seniors must submit to an eye exam and possibly a written test as well. They MAY also be required to take a driving test as well depending on a variety of factors. Frankly, I am getting close (5ish years) and would support a mandatory driving test and be willing to submit to that requirement. HOWEVER.......Cali would need to make accommodations to prevent the 4 hour wait in the pit of hell with the dregs of humanity. Their "appointment" system does not improve that wait time significantly.

Interestingly, Cali is one of the few states that has fairly broad base of people who can trigger a driving test several of which are required by law to report including family, neighbors, Doctors and LEO's....in fact its pretty much anybody can report and its confidential reporting with no accountability for the purpose or accuracy of the "suspicion". So if you have a 70+ person you desire to f%#^ with....just report their driving to the DMV.......

Was is the Hellcat Demon? That fucker pulls ten second quarter miles. It's easy to run out of runway when you're hauling ass like that. Runways suck as drag strips. Lazy old coots could have driven up to Bandimere.

Anyway, there are worse ways for 70-some year old guys to go. 

Hey! Runways were the original drag strips.

3 hours ago, mikewof said:

Was is the Hellcat Demon? That fucker pulls ten second quarter miles. It's easy to run out of runway when you're hauling ass like that. Runways suck as drag strips. Lazy old coots could have driven up to Bandimere.

Alittle far to get to Bandimere me thinks woofsie and please explain why runways suck as drag strips for things like this..

2 hours ago, shaggy said:

Alittle far to get to Bandimere me thinks woofsie and please explain why runways suck as drag strips for things like this..

We're only two hours from Buena Vista.

Anyway, airstrips are minus all the drag strippy stuff, and there is no track supervisor. If it was the Demon, the supervisor probably wouldn't have even let them onto the track without a harness, firejackets, helmets, maybe even a rollcage, which might have saved these guys. The Hellcat Demon is a ten second car, and they might have done extra work to it.

A runway doesn't have a shutdown area, or sand, or shutdown strip warnings, or an ambulance on standby. It's built for planes ... heavy planes, hard landings, wind, directionals.

Lessee, the runway up there is about 8k feet, even at half of that they probably hit 150 mph. Top fuel dragsters that hit 150 need parachutes just to be able to stop safely. Even if he hit the brakes as soon as they saw the end of the runway, they didn't have a prayer to be able to stop in time. They would have been safer out on Highway 287 out in the shitfields ... at least that road doesn't slam to an abrupt end. They were idiots, Darwin's work, right?

8 hours ago, mikewof said:

LAzy?? One came up from the springs and the other flew in from CA.

That runway is over 8,000 feet long. Bandimere is 3,000. If all you want to do is go have some fun I'll take the extra 5,000 feet.

39 minutes ago, bmiller said:

LAzy?? One came up from the springs and the other flew in from CA.

That runway is over 8,000 feet long. Bandimere is 3,000. If all you want to do is go have some fun I'll take the extra 5,000 feet.

They came all the way from there and couldn't be bothered to find a deserted highway out in the shitplains? That seems lazy to me, but okay, maybe they just wanted to haul ass without worrying about speed planes? If they had gone to Bandimere they would still be alive because they would have been forced to play safe, and unlike the runway, that strip has a purpose-designed shutdown strip. If they would have taken a deserted highway then it wouldn't have ended suddenly into a ravine.

The Hellcat Demon is a strip car not a track car. Who cares about that extra 5000 feet if there is no shutdown? Once you're at top speed in the Hellcat, that extra runway is only an extra five seconds or so of driving before you have to start on the brakes, especially since that car doesn't come with a parachute.

Be it laziness or stupidity, Darwin did the job on these two. If they had permission to use the runway, and one from Colorado "Two AF base" Springs, I wonder if one of them was a retired military pilot, who assumed he could make his money and his flight experience magically translate to safety behind the wheel? Very few experienced drag racers would ever consider something so stupid as what they did. The end of the strip is the almighty lord of the drag car driver, it's the all-powerful arbiter of life and death, and those idiots committed the unforgivable sin of not shutting down a moment  after they hit their quarter. That extra 5k feet is useless to a properly-driven drag car.