• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Now that Oracle is Kaput. What is Spithills next gig?

Is it ...

1. Skipper and helm of Team Australia?

2. Skipper and helm of Team Alinghi with Butterballs calling tactics?

3. Helm of BAR with Ainslie calling tactics?

4. Commentator?

5. The Bachelor 2020?

6. Other?

Thoughts please!

Why would anyone want to touch him? He had the full financial muscle of Ellison behind him in AC35 and he was still humiliated by a team they tried to disadvantage with all their self-dealing rules changes.

3. Helm of BAR with Ainslie calling tactics?

Not a fucking chance. If BAR is back and if BA gives up the wheel, it would be to a British young gun helm. Not to an ageing failed Australian/American has-been.

If there's an Aussie team, I'm picking Slingsby will helm. Especially given Slingsby has won an Olympic Gold Medal, been part of an AC win, helmed Investec Loyal to a Hobart win as well as his current gig calling tactics on Black Jack 100 with one of the previously mentioned names looking to throw his hat in the ring - Peter Harburg.

I'm picking Jimmy Spithill and Dean Barker will join forces somehow.

16 minutes ago, sclarke said:

Great team...dumb and dumber!

21 minutes ago, sclarke said:

If there's an Aussie team, I'm picking Slingsby will helm. Especially given Slingsby has won an Olympic Gold Medal, been part of an AC win, helmed Investec Loyal to a Hobart win as well as his current gig calling tactics on Black Jack 100 with one of the previously mentioned names looking to throw his hat in the ring - Peter Harburg.

I think Spithill and Barker will both need to take substantial pay cuts to stay in the game. Both of their "brands" are damaged - particularly Barkers. 

With regards to Barker, I don't think a helm position is achievable whereas it probably still is for Spithill.

10 hours ago, Barnyb said:

The only person who rates Spithill, is Spithill!

That's not fair.

Yes, he was and always has been overrated.

But as with Barker, he is still an excellent tier 1 sailor.

Just now, jaysper said:

That's not fair.

Yes, he was and always has been overrated.

But as with Barker, he is still an excellent tier 1 sailor.

Dean has to be regretting his decision to leave ETNZ. Maybe not the decision itself, but the way it happened. He crossed Dalton, and once you cross him, there's no coming back. Even Coutts has left both Spithill and Barker out in the cold. Coutts seemingly set Barker up with a good deal with Japan, then when things fell through in Bermuda, Coutts quit the AC, and retired back to NZ taking up a cushy commodore job, leaving Barker and Spithill to fend for themselves.

Just now, sclarke said:

Dean has to be regretting his decision to leave ETNZ. Maybe not the decision itself, but the way it happened. He crossed Dalton, and once you cross him, there's no coming back. Even Coutts has left both Spithill and Barker out in the cold. Coutts seemingly set Barker up with a good deal with Japan, then when things fell through in Bermuda, Coutts quit the AC, and retired back to NZ taking up a cushy commodore job, leaving Barker and Spithill to fend for themselves.

Yeah. I think it is going to be pretty fucking difficult for Barker to secure a decent gig and practically no chance of getting helm.

I can see Jimmy getting a director role in a Australian challenge.  I can see Barker getting a role within the AC management.

13 minutes ago, MoMP said:

I can see Jimmy getting a director role in a Australian challenge.  I can see Barker getting a role within the AC management.

Jimmy is not director material - he was in charge of the AC35 defence and with the might of Ellison's $$$ couldn't manage to make it even close. His attitude is better suited to training the sailing team.

Barker has nothing to offer any AC team - driving miss daisy for some billionaire would be his lot now. Even as a trial-boat driver, he was badly exposed in AC35 - Slingsby would have been a much more competitive trial-boat driver.

52 minutes ago, MoMP said:

A.C. management is set up by defender.

Barker will never be allowed back near ETNZ. 

Great interview, this feels part book tour part image rehab tour for Spithill.  I think he'll be back in some form in Auckland

It's a good interview, and I'm sure a good book.
He says it like it is, whilst being fair and entertaining along the way.
The America's Cup is better for having Jimmy in it.
Kiwi's may want to hurl a tonne of sheep shit at him - but they'd miss him if he was gone.

7 hours ago, MischiefBDA said:

It's a good interview, and I'm sure a good book.
He says it like it is, whilst being fair and entertaining along the way.
The America's Cup is better for having Jimmy in it.
Kiwi's may want to hurl a tonne of sheep shit at him - but they'd miss him if he was gone.

Most of it can be replayed at here:

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/on-air/veitch-on-sport/audio/jimmy-spithill-on-his-new-book-and-whether-hell-be-back-for-another-shot-at-the-cup/

On 17/09/2017 at 11:55 AM, jaysper said:

Yep, cheers Stinger.

It was an excellent interview. 

I spat my tea out at JS asserting PB has got LE and RC to thank for winning the AC ;-)

40 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

I spat my tea out at JS asserting PB has got LE and RC to thank for winning the AC ;-)

I said excellent not perfect. :D

I know it might hurt to admit it, however the little ginger convict does have a point. Without the RBYAC they likely would not have raised their profiles sufficiently to be considered for the real deal. At least not for the AC just passed.

Just now, jaysper said:

I know it might hurt to admit it, however the little ginger convict does have a point. Without the RBYAC they likely would not have raised their profiles sufficiently to be considered for the real deal. At least not for the AC just passed.

PB was our best bet and we knew it before and outside of RBYAC - granted RBYAC was a massive positive influence, but its impact was felt across every team. I don't think ETNZ in particular have any more to thank LE/RC than any other team in that regard, and frankly plenty of things LE/RC did actually fucked over PB way more than any other skipper received.

"We tried to assassinate you, but you've got us to thank for becoming king!" hmm

41 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

PB was our best bet and we knew it before and outside of RBYAC - granted RBYAC was a massive positive influence, but its impact was felt across every team. I don't think ETNZ in particular have any more to thank LE/RC than any other team in that regard, and frankly plenty of things LE/RC did actually fucked over PB way more than any other skipper received.

"We tried to assassinate you, but you've got us to thank for becoming king!" hmm

My disgust for those two is well documented here. However credit where credit is due,  even if they did it accidentally. 

2 hours ago, rh2600 said:

That assertion exposes why Spithill would never ever head another AC syndicate having failed miserably to defend, with the best-resourced and best-funded organisation behind him.

On 9/16/2017 at 9:56 AM, MoMP said:

Wouldn't bet on that happening for JS. Not held in particularly high regard down here.

Barker is a nice bloke but seen as a spent force in AC circles.

4 hours ago, Indio said:

That assertion exposes why Spithill would never ever head another AC syndicate having failed miserably to defend, with the best-resourced and best-funded organisation behind him.

Who would employ him? and what role would he do?

He has been out-sailed by the new breed of younger guys.

He has turned up to the last 2 regatta's unprepared and needing to play catch-up (why would you employ him as sailing coach?)

His future is as a hired hand on other rich peoples yachts, or as a hired hand in a sub-par AC syndicate

8 hours ago, jaysper said:

Yes, it took a junior regatta to show the world that the best apparent wind sailor of his generation and the Moth and 49er World Champ could drive an AC yacht.  Brilliant work! 

Definition of irony:

Mr Spithill - 

"You need to know where the goal posts are. What is the game you are playing. That's a position a lot of people are in. If you are in the Team New Zealand or Italian camp you know, you've got a pretty good idea. But for the rest of us, before you go sign up to something, you really have to know what it is"

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/97070759/jimmy-spithill-questions-team-new-zealands-plan-to-return-to-monohulls

is he for real or just winding us up? 

2 hours ago, Clipper said:

Definition of irony:

Mr Spithill - 

"You need to know where the goal posts are. What is the game you are playing. That's a position a lot of people are in. If you are in the Team New Zealand or Italian camp you know, you've got a pretty good idea. But for the rest of us, before you go sign up to something, you really have to know what it is"

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/97070759/jimmy-spithill-questions-team-new-zealands-plan-to-return-to-monohulls

He's for real. But only in his imaginary world of sporting ethics.

A bit like politicians, really - as in do as I say, not as I do.

5 hours ago, Clipper said:

Definition of irony:

Mr Spithill - 

He's too thick to realise the hypocrisy of "before you go sign up to something, you really have to know what it is". He's just a loser trying to hustle a few copies of his book because the only possible way he'll get into AC36 is with Alinghi - his value as an AC skipper disappeared out the stern of Aotearoa in Bermuda in June.

5 hours ago, Indio said:

He's too thick to realise the hypocrisy of "before you go sign up to something, you really have to know what it is". He's just a loser trying to hustle a few copies of his book because the only possible way he'll get into AC36 is with Alinghi - his value as an AC skipper disappeared out the stern of Aotearoa in Bermuda in June.

Hey he's on a book tour to flog he opus he penned with Rob Mundle. With Mundle at the keys it should be a pretty good read

But it's a book tour for Christ's sake He's being sweet and smiling Ginger and he's not going to give you a sniff, say a single word that might jeopardise his next Cup role.

11 hours ago, fensta said:

Don't know why we are giving him oxygen.

Because he led the greatest come back in America's Cup history, if not sport.  His opinon matters just like DC's does after his slow fade into mediocrity in the last two Cup editions in NZ.  And no matter how hard Kiwi's bitch and whine that he is irrelevant, he very much is and will be for the foreseeable future..  

WetHog  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, nav said:

You, JS and A4e....three boys - no cup

? Still got that conspiracy theory tinfoil hat wrapped tightly to your head, do ya? Mafia's, Herbies, etc?? Lmfao! 

You've always been a joke, may as well keep supporting that effort, consistency is King.

1 minute ago, ~Stingray~ said:

? Still got that conspiracy theory tinfoil hat wrapped tightly to your head, do ya? Mafia's, Herbies, etc?? Lmfao!

I have too.  Did you read the article about the NZ simulator?  The part about the computer being faster in a straight line?  That's what happened in San Fran.

Fucking funni the see JS getting RSI in his wrist from the twist grip on the wheel this time.

27 minutes ago, random said:

Fucking funni the see JS getting RSI in his wrist from the twist grip on the wheel this time.

Shrug. Maybe it was truer to the rules intent around 'manual input' than the legalistic dodge and disregard that GD's interpretation/gamble made of it. 

To me, 'manual input' implies not just physical input but also human instinct and intuition, as opposed to some/any idiot following the dot that was being provided by a higher, artificial intelligence, buried in an XBox while pedaling a bicycle.

JS had a much, much bigger sailing role on his shoulders; it's almost amazing that the races were as close as they were, including for in the other CSS racing series ETNZ was in.

26 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Shrug. Maybe it was truer to the rules intent around 'manual input' than the legalistic dodge and disregard that GD's interpretation/gamble made of it. 

To me, 'manual input' implies not just physical input but also human instinct and intuition, as opposed to some/any idiot following the dot that was being provided by a higher, artificial intelligence, buried in an XBox while pedaling a bicycle.

JS had a much, much bigger sailing role on his shoulders; it's almost amazing that the races were as close as they were, including for in the other CSS racing series ETNZ was in.

Please don't use the "truer to the rules" approach when talking about a team that cheated to win last time, it's common knowledge even for those still openly denying it.  There was no "physical input but also human instinct and intuition" behind the automation in San Fran.  You making these comments remove any credibility you may had had left.  It's like arguing that black is white.

OR fucked up but was still willing to stretch the rules like they did with the slack lowers to rack the boat.  I have watched the races many times and for the life of me I cannot see any rationale' behind the OR mainsheet trim.  Appears to be random adjustments for the sake of it with the rope looking old skool.

Stop the hypocrisy FFS.

1 hour ago, random said:

Did they have twist grips on some boats in BMDA? That is so 2013! 

58 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

(Snip)

(Snip)

Yeah. Except of course, had OTUSA come up with that innovation, instead of Prada/ETNZ, Stinger.

Then you'ld have been singing their praises, ad-nauseum - and rubbing our noses in another loss. 

11 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Random, you are an idiot.  Prove they were cheating or fuck off.

Watch the videos. 

laughing-hard-gif-16.gif

Oh sorry, it was just Beast Mode wasn't it?

^ Bull. Shit. You flat-earthers with your tinfoil helmets are cute, but you're not right about much. It was possibly the biggest comeback in history, and JS was the guy who kept it all together when the team looked into the abyss. You were a lousy loser, and you're a worse winner. 

You're all forgetting they're going back to lead mines. Everything slows down, reaction times are less critical and it evens the playing field again as far as JS/DB/BA are concerned.

Say what you will about Spithill as a person, the cunt pisses out more talent than us hacks could ever dream of having.

38 minutes ago, DT Wanderer said:

You're all forgetting they're going back to lead mines. Everything slows down, reaction times are less critical and it evens the playing field again as far as JS/DB/BA are concerned.

You do know that it's possible to make monos without lead, or any ballast for that matter don't you? Perhaps you should reserve your comments till after the class rules come out.

37 minutes ago, DT Wanderer said:

Say what you will about Spithill as a person, the cunt pisses out more talent than us hacks could ever dream of having.

Oh, he's talented alright, DTW. But no so great that an AC multi-hull rookie couldn't whip his sorry arse.

Did JS even take more than one win in the start box? I don't think so. We'll maybe two. And I recall how the OTUSA fanboys warned a rookie PB would get slaughtered in the box! 

4 hours ago, surfsailor said:

^ Bull. Shit. You flat-earthers with your tinfoil helmets are cute, but you're not right about much. It was possibly the biggest comeback in history, and JS was the guy who kept it all together when the team looked into the abyss. You were a lousy loser, and you're a worse winner. 

I'm Australian.  I just see it for what it was.

Spithill was able to stick his neck out to play mind games with NZ because he knew what a difference the new technology would make.  I say again, read the NZ article about the simulator when they allowed the computer to play the foil.  Game over.

That's what happened in San Fran.

After downloading all the races from here, I have watched them many times since, the last few times, each race for the first three legs.

While it was on we took it one race at a time, now after reviewing them all one after the other, OR never ever had a chance.  The difference looks more extreme now.  The out of breath tactician is a classic, Slingers had no choice but his commentry is annoying and often superfluous.  "Ok we need to go faster here ..."  yeah?  What a great idea.  

I know that might be how they are doing it now on the big boats, but on an AC foiling cat, if the helmsman cannot sus a lift or a knock instantly, or even before it arrives, he should not be on the wheel.  Compare and contrast the Kiwis, that's obviously how it needs to be done.

I have no idea how Spithill continued to take sailing lessons from Singsby, that's what it sounded like anyway.

8 hours ago, trt131 said:

Random, how deep is your hate?

What hate?

Just telling it like it is.  Everyone with half a brain saw it the same way.  The rest, like you, like winning any way possible, even if they have to cheat.

See the last race in San Fran, NZ win the start, first to mark 1, first to mark 2, then on the upwind were knots slower while the ultra-stable OR flew off to the horizon.  This time, even though NZ were clearly faster, OR managed one win, but in San Fran after the foil control device was installed, NZ could not even go close to one win, the difference was that great.

I feel for Spithill, the burden of carrying that for the rest of his life would be a heavy one.  Knowing you weren't the best on the course, knowing that the rules were shat on and the best team robbed.

On 23/09/2017 at 6:31 AM, WetHog said:

Because he led the greatest come back in America's Cup history, if not sport.  His opinon matters just like DC's does after his slow fade into mediocrity in the last two Cup editions in NZ.  And no matter how hard Kiwi's bitch and whine that he is irrelevant, he very much is and will be for the foreseeable future..  

I think the central debate around JS is when his self-belief attitude crosses over into arrogance - a state that ultimately makes him a worse sailor (assuming it already made him a worse person).

In AC-34 his self-belief was heralded as being part of their come-back - which I don't think anyone could argue.

In AC-35 his self-belief let him focus on a camo-wheel and working on his own "big guns", whilst other teams lost weight and in the case of ETNZ had cyclors actually puking their guts out all so they could drop an accumulater to save weight. in terms of AC-35 his 'self-belief' and frankly arrogant attitude was part of their failure, and yet we are supposed to still herald it?

6 hours ago, random said:

What hate?

Just telling it like it is.  Everyone with half a brain saw it the same way.  The rest, like you, like winning any way possible, even if they have to cheat.

See the last race in San Fran, NZ win the start, first to mark 1, first to mark 2, then on the upwind were knots slower while the ultra-stable OR flew off to the horizon.  This time, even though NZ were clearly faster, OR managed one win, but in San Fran after the foil control device was installed, NZ could not even go close to one win, the difference was that great.

I feel for Spithill, the burden of carrying that for the rest of his life would be a heavy one.  Knowing you weren't the best on the course, knowing that the rules were shat on and the best team robbed.

So you're saying only halfwits see it your way?  I suspected as much. Thanks for clearing that up...

3 hours ago, rh2600 said:

I think the central debate around JS is when his self-belief attitude crosses over into arrogance - a state that ultimately makes him a worse sailor (assuming it already made him a worse person).

In AC-34 his self-belief was heralded as being part of their come-back - which I don't think anyone could argue.

In AC-35 his self-belief let him focus on a camo-wheel and working on his own "big guns", whilst other teams lost weight and in the case of ETNZ had cyclors actually puking their guts out all so they could drop an accumulater to save weight. in terms of AC-35 his 'self-belief' and frankly arrogant attitude was part of their failure, and yet we are supposed to still herald it?

Well put.

16 hours ago, rh2600 said:

DC conducted himself with a healthy dose of arrogance throughout his AC career.  Kiwi's know that all to well and it doesn't diminish his standing in AC history one bit.  

3 hours ago, WetHog said:

DC conducted himself with a healthy dose of arrogance throughout his AC career.  Kiwi's know that all to well and it doesn't diminish his standing in AC history one bit.  

Well...I respect his talents but as a man...no.

Same as Tiger Woods and a host of other sports people of over the years that have been at the pinnacle of sports and the trough of humanity.

Ooooowch.  JS <-> Tiger Woods ... not quite sure that is an appropriate comparison, even though I don't appreciate how JS has gone about it.

7 hours ago, WetHog said:

Because it was sporting rivalry at its best! Between Bruce Farr, Michael Fay, and Dennis Connor they meant every word they said to each other. True sports people respect a person who says what he means and means what he says however derogatory it may be. As everyone says, and even Spithill has admitted himself, he puts on a persona for the cameras, purely for a laugh and to piss off New Zealand fans and NZ media. Its not him expressing his actual personality. Its a character he plays, much a like a WWE performer. Sport doesn't need fake characters like that, it needs real sports people. This isn't the WWE, or sports entertainment, this is real sport. You don't see Olympic athletes putting on fake persona's for the cameras, because results speak for themselves. 

3 hours ago, sclarke said:

Because it was sporting rivalry at its best! Between Bruce Farr, Michael Fay, and Dennis Connor they meant every word they said to each other. True sports people respect a person who says what he means and means what he says however derogatory it may be. As everyone says, and even Spithill has admitted himself, he puts on a persona for the cameras, purely for a laugh and to piss off New Zealand fans and NZ media. Its not him expressing his actual personality. Its a character he plays, much a like a WWE performer. Sport doesn't need fake characters like that, it needs real sports people. This isn't the WWE, or sports entertainment, this is real sport. You don't see Olympic athletes putting on fake persona's for the cameras, because results speak for themselves. 

Revisionist history at its best.

6 hours ago, random said:

Ooooowch.  JS <-> Tiger Woods ... not quite sure that is an appropriate comparison, even though I don't appreciate how JS has gone about it.

Yeah fair point. I was going to use Martina Hingis as an example but wasn't sure everyone would be aware of what an appalling little princess she was.

So, I  reached for Tiger who genuinely is a different class of animal to Jimmy. 

On 9/23/2017 at 10:27 AM, ~Stingray~ said:

You've always been a joke, may as well keep supporting that effort, consistency is King.

On the irony of it all LOL!!