Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hitchhiker

John MacLaurin. RIP.

I just got news this afternoon that one of SoCal's sailing Icons passed away this afternoon.

May the wind always be at your back and the seas fair, John.

As a quick aside, the Purple Pendragon was one of the best IOR boats I ever had the pleasure to helm.  Even if it was only for one Wednesday beer can race!

John was one of the best.  How many Pendragons?  You'd have a hard time counting on two hands.  He'll have a good time racing the other IOR owners who beat him to the fair seas, and he'll have top notch boats and a smile on his face while doing it.

Didn't know the guy, but the 3/4-1 ton was an awesome boat. RIP, and fair winds, Dude.

I read an article about him and his wife couple of months ago. 

Lost an icon, RIP.

gave lot's of people chance to go on a very competitive program. Great competitor

18 hours ago, J T said:

John was one of the best.  How many Pendragons?  You'd have a hard time counting on two hands.  He'll have a good time racing the other IOR owners who beat him to the fair seas, and he'll have top notch boats and a smile on his face while doing it.

One of the good guys of sailing. Six Pendragons by my count, 5 Davidsons and 1 Farr 40. Throw in a Davidson 30 (morc) an ultimate 30 of sorts and when I first raced against him, a Peterson 25 1/4 ton (shadowfax). Sailed on the 1st two Pens' and the morc stardancer. The purple boat was the most fun (before the keel was put on) especially in light air and chop. Was untouchables! I remember the Cal YC juniors ask on a whim if they could use Pen' II for their junior cruise to Catalina. "Just have it back by Wednesday night". 

A real loss. Condolences to Susie and the family. I was involved in the last two Pendragon's [IV & VI]. He was a real character but great to work with. Fair winds John...

19 hours ago, herbie verstinx said:

I remember the Cal YC juniors ask on a whim if they could use Pen' II for their junior cruise to Catalina. "Just have it back by Wednesday night". 

That was John. His teams were always in the running for the fun prize, win lose or draw, and they won a lot. This is evidenced by how his team stayed together over decades. He will be missed. 

Sad to hear of this but he had a good run and gave many people some wonderful memories over the years .  It's not often that a regular  would get to have two legitimate " rock stars " as room mates for the SF Big Boat ,  Mark Christenson and Kevin Shoebridge of NZ fame not to mention first class accommodations no matter where we went. He was very much into pushing the envelope with his boats design wise and most were hits such as the current largest one design " big boat " fleet the TP-52's , owe it all to John and his Davidson designed Pendragon . He will be missed . 

pendragon 1jpg.jpeg

pendragon 3.jpeg

Picture 281.jpg