• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

here we go again ....  hope the the islands in the Caribbean catch a break with this one.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at5.shtml?cone#contents

sorry for the extra thread .. didn't see the boiling atlantic one before I started this one...  

Maria1.thumb.jpg.327cb2e57838d6ce4dc31658188c81d9.jpg

12 hours ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

All the boats that rolled south before Irma are gonna get their shot on this one.

And all of the people from St. Martin that were just evaded to Guadeloupe.........

Now a cat 3 and forecast to be a cat 4 soon with a track a little more to the South. Dominica is seeing the eye pass over just now. 

Dominica is going to need a lot of help. It is likely that the roads will be impossible for weeks due to river bridges being swept away.

My son in law's parents live on the east end of DR, grandparents on the north. Current track and intensity really blows. 

I cant imagine what the poor souls on Barbuda are going through. Forecast cat 5 possible direct hit. 

IMG_3287.JPG

13 minutes ago, Sean said:

My son in law's parents live on the east end of DR, grandparents on the north. Current track and intensity really blows. 

I cant imagine what the poor souls on Barbuda are going through. Forecast cat 5 possible direct hit. 

IMG_3287.JPG

According to CNN, there is nobody living on Barbuda right now. There will be even less to go home to after this.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

According to CNN, there is nobody living on Barbuda right now. There will be even less to go home to after this.

You have to wonder, such a tiny island and small population if they will even go back ?

1 hour ago, Sean said:

IMG_3287.JPG

Not that they are not in serious jeopardy but the Warning Level of "5" on the map indicates the imminent arrival of hurricane force winds and not the Category level of the storm (CAT 4 is bad enough).

* ATLANTIC     SHIPS INTENSITY FORECAST          *
                    * IR SAT DATA AVAILABLE,       OHC AVAILABLE     *
                    *  MARIA       AL152017  09/18/17  18 UTC        *

TIME (HR)          0     6    12    18    24    36    48    60    72    84    96   108   120
V (KT) NO LAND   110   117   121   124   125   125   123   119   113   104    97    95    94

LAND (KM)        460   494   511   421   331   148   -11    78    85   160   255   392   524
LAT (DEG N)     14.9  15.3  15.6  16.1  16.5  17.3  18.1  19.1  20.1  21.2  22.1  23.4  24.9
LONG(DEG W)     60.4  61.1  61.8  62.5  63.2  64.7  66.1  67.6  69.2  70.4  71.3  72.1  72.7
STM SPEED (KT)     8     8     8     8     8     8     8     9     9     7     7     8     8

Matrix of RI probabilities
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  RI (kt / h)  | 20/12 | 25/24 | 30/24 | 35/24 | 40/24 | 45/36 | 55/48  |65/72
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   SHIPS-RII:    38.5%   50.5%   45.0%   24.5%    0.0%    0.0%    0.0%    0.0%
    Logistic:    42.3%   59.7%   47.9%   38.1%   33.4%   27.7%    6.2%    1.4%
    Bayesian:    54.7%   24.2%   23.2%    7.7%    2.4%    0.2%    0.0%    0.0%
   Consensus:    45.2%   44.8%   38.7%   23.5%   11.9%    9.3%    2.1%    0.5%

21 minutes ago, V21 said:

You have to wonder, such a tiny island and small population if they will even go back ?

There's the beginning of a major international non-profit organization that's looking at rebuilding Barbuda, everything including hospitals, schools, homes, as a 100% solar and wind powered zero carbon island.  The first.  Scrape the remnants, and re-start.

Given climate change, can they build everything cat 5 proof?

Solar I suppose is possible but what wind turbine will withstand cat 5 winds?

Add rising sea levels....

Wiki - The island is mostly corallimestone with little topographical variation. The "highlands" area on the eastern side of the island has hills rising to 125 ft (38 m), but the majority of the island is very flat, with many lagoons in the northwest corner.

.....doesn't seem to be any point.

1 hour ago, DryArmour said:

Not that they are not in serious jeopardy but the Warning Level of "5" on the map indicates the imminent arrival of hurricane force winds and not the Category level of the storm (CAT 4 is bad enough).

Well, it's a cat 5 now. 

Well fuck. Another Cat 5, almost over the same islands. At least this one is much smaller than Irma with a tight eye.

27 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Well fuck. Another Cat 5, almost over the same islands. At least this one is much smaller than Irma with a tight eye.

love me a tight eye .

It's like boxing.  You get knocked down by a serious punch, and get up groggy before the end of the count.  The next one, which puts you out, will be a much smaller one.

Pity those people in the BVI/USVI and St Martin.  They may not even know that Maria is on the way, as comms are still mostly out.

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

Charley was a small tight eye...devastation in it's path ...50 miles away would not have know a thing...as with every cyclone counter or otherwise....it is the eye path..every 5 -10 miles outward is dramatically  different ...prayers to those in Maria's path

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

It's like boxing.  You get knocked down by a serious punch, and get up groggy before the end of the count.  The next one, which puts you out, will be a much smaller one.

Pity those people in the BVI/USVI and St Martin.  They may not even know that Maria is on the way, as comms are still mostly out.

I can assure you that on St. Croix we have noticed.  As mentioned we are watching the eye path carefully.

Edited by WYD_StCroix
Add info

12 minutes ago, WYD_StCroix said:

I can assure you that on St. Croix we have noticed.  As mentioned we are watching the eye path carefully.

best of luck you guys, hope you are prepared !

Landfall on Dominica at Cat 5.

That is not a country with a lot of resources; safety and recovery will be problematic.

35 minutes ago, raftco said:

Folks in US & BVI saying, "what can Maria do to me that Irma has not already. Done?"  

Everything is destroyed already. 

Looks indeed like they are gone a be the ones who will get a second very bad hit, unbelievable really.

And the big danger will be the debris from Irma flying around like projectiles. They better seek cover somewhere and be safe, lives matter.

Take care a lot !

First report from Dominica, it's BAD:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/sep/19/hurricane-maria-landfall-dominica-caribbean-category-five-storm-live?page=with:block-59c0a89ce4b0f6beafd39986#block-59c0a89ce4b0f6beafd39986

28m ago 06:20

Dominica PM: 'We need help'

Roosevelt Skerrit, the prime minister of Dominica, has told Caracas-based Telesur TV that rescue teams will head out when dawn breaks on Tuesday (it is currently 1.20am local time).

Skerrit said:

My greatest fear is that we will wake to news of serious physical injury, possible deaths … Come tomorrow morning we will hit the road in search of the injured and those trapped in the rubble.

Winds have swept away the roofs of almost every person I have spoken to or otherwise made contact with.

My focus now is rescuing the trapped and securing medical assistance. We will need help of all kinds … Dominica needs support from friends for helicopter services to get around the country [and] determine what’s needed.

And same site:

28m ago 06:31

What we know so far

Claire Phipps 

Claire Phipps

• Hurricane Maria has intensified quickly to a category five storm and made landfall on the Caribbean island of Dominica.
  • Winds of up to 160mph (260kmh) and heavy rains lashed the island as the eye of the hurricane passed directly across it on Monday night.
  • There is not yet confirmation of any deaths or injuries from the first category five hurricane in recorded history to hit Dominica, but the prime minister, Roosevelt Skerrit – who had to be rescued from his own flooded home – said he feared the worst.
  • Skerrit said there was widespread damage, with roofs swept from buildings. Reports said the island’s Princess Margaret hospital, in the capital Roseau, was battered, and radio stations stopped broadcasting as the storm crashed over the island of 72,000 people.
  • Maria is now heading towards Guadeloupe, the British overseas territory of Montserrat, and St Kitts & Nevis, still at category five strength.
  • All residents of Guadeloupe were ordered to take shelter on Monday evening and not go out under any circumstances. The French overseas territory was being used as a base for relief efforts for islands struck by Hurricane Irma.
  • The hurricane is then forecast to swing towards the British and US Virgin Islands and to Puerto Rico, where another state of emergency has been declared.

I am down in Grenada. We have had some gusty westerly winds but nothing to worry about apart from a large [circa ] 100 ft sloop at anchor in Clarks Court Bay that has swung round and his rudder is resting on a reef at low tide lifting the stern a foot or so.

I have just talked to friends in Martinique where they experienced much stronger westerly winds but in the large landlocked anchorage of Marin which has hundreds of boats at anchor or on moorings only a few boats went walkabout during the storm. However one pinballed it's way down the bows of boats anchored stern to in a big marina. An interesting insurance claim 

Most boats headed for hurricane holes but this one in the pic below was left with sails bent on cockpit canvas up and in the exposed anchorage of St Anne. Still I know that beach and it is sand so it may refloat with little damage. The three in the south side of the Fort de France bay are not so lucky and I watched briefly on the Trois Islet web cam as they were smashed up on the beach by the big swells.  

Nothing much has come out of Dominica except that almost every house has lost it's roof including the prime minister's.. 

MARIA 3.jpg

Think things suck for you?

True story .... Guy living in Texas feels effects of Hurricane but survives leaving in his Big RV ...... heads to visit and hang with relatives  ....... Ready ?? ........ in Florida ..... in comes Irma ... so he says Fack this Im going to California. He made it to 1 block from my house where there is an RV park ..... Lucke Day ....he gets a spot and just finished hooking up = Life is Good .....till a few min later when the Watermains break and he is without Water ...then the electricity goes out for 3 days.  
This guy should be airlifted to North Korea ASAP
Water main fixed 2x and roads open lastnight...... the fix is leaking again so water likely to go off.
 I only got the detoured traffic to deal with ..plenty of water and power.
He needs to GTF out of here before who knows what -
 happens

I flew to Tortola to deliver a 48' catamaran back to Florida. I had delivered the same boat to Fla from the USVI a couple of years later and despite knowing what a dog it was, I took on the job. It had had some work and upgrades done in West Palm and somehow gotten back to Tortola in one piece. It was bought there by a couple that had just had their waterfront home on the eastcoast of Florida damaged by a hurricane. They thought if would be a good idea to buy the cat in Tortola and hang out there while the roof was put back on at their Fla place. They liked dockside life in Tortola and had hired a girl captain that I knew to take then on day trips and overnighters to learn more about sailing the boat. As the hurricane season tapered off the couple decided it would be a grand re-opening of their place in Fla to bring the new yacht home to their dock and felt they were ready for the 7-10 passage island hopping through T&C and the Bahamas. The dayskipper didn't have the bluewater experience the insurance companies wanted for the delivery captain so I got the call. 

I had been watching the same sort of Cape Verde action that has just blessed us with Irma, Jose and Maria and advised waiting another month but the new owners were already inviting friends and family down for the big re-opening of their newly improved and expanded house and wanted the boat there. I suggested that they fly home and the mate and I would round up a couple of able bodied crew and make the direct dash in what looked like a pretty good weather window for that time of year. They insisted on making the trip themselves and swore the boat was ready to cast off the moment I got there. I asked if they had charts and SSB and personal safety gear such as harnesses and rescue beacons. 

Assured that I could spend one night at the dock after flying down and shove off the next morning I said let's go for it! A week after arriving I was still tracing air leaks in the fuel system and spending lots of the guys money at the chandlers for the most basic boat gear. I admit he did have a well stocked liquor locker! The wife was having Bloody Mary's for breakfast and was down and out in the early afternoon, and the guy had a bad temper with ther with a couple of cocktails in him. He was still sniffing after the Mate even though she had rebuffed his advances for weeks. I was getting a bad feeling about taking the couple offshore but a next Hurricane popped up well to the East and I used it to delay the already delayed passage. I hoped that would lead them to return to the house to prep it for the big homecoming but as it turned out the storm head right for the BVI. We barely were able to get flights out for the three of us out of Beef Island back to Florida. The mate and I took the boat into Paraquita Bay and she stayed with the boat. Our exit flight went to Sanford Fl with no connections to Pensacola for me. The owner had promised to rent a car for me to drive the rest of the way home and told me to wait for my baggage and he would go get the rental car for me. I saw he and his wife at the Hertz counter in the distance and when my gear arrive I headed that way and they were nowhere to be seen. I went to the desk where I had seen him doing the rental and the agent still had all the paperwork on the desk and she said, 'Now if you can just give your credit card and license'. I gave her my drivers license but told her the charge was on the other guy and she said, 'Is that him getting in that car' just on the other side of the glass? I caught the bastard just pulling away in a friends car and he said everything was taken care of at the desk but I dragged him back inside. He reluctantly gave her his CC and it was declined! He promised to re-imburse me (I had gotten half of the estimated day rate before I took the job) when he paid the last half of my days away x daily rate but then the agent noticed that my drivers license had expired a couple of days ago! 

The boss said just to go get in the car and we would deal with my transportation later and it was late and he needed a drink. We drove a couple of miles and pulled over at a sleazy looking cocktail lounge and we went inside for a few rounds. I got the impression that they would put me up for the night at their newly remodeled place which was maybe 25 miles away and we would start over in the morning. After some drinks we relaxed a bit and joking around about the girl back on the boat and the approaching storm. The weather channel came on and announced that the storm was headed right for Roadtown and his mood darkened again. When we walked out of the lounge later, he handed me a $100 bill and pointed across the street at the Greyhound Bus station and wished me luck! Took me 20 hours to finally get home on the damned bus!

I sent him a bill for my days traveling and working on his boat at my daily rate less the deposit and the bus fare and he refused to pay it as I had 'failed to complete the delivery as contracted' I was livid and told him I would contact the boatsitter girl and warn her to expect the same generosity from him and she would probably leave the boat unattended. He didn't know quite what to make of that and hung up on me. I barely had time to reach her and she was getting nervous about staying on the boat with the storm only hours away and she did get off and shelter on higher ground. Turns out that the boat was damaged some during the storm and the owner tried to stiff her in the same way that he did me. Being a local, she was able to file a lien against the boat and the yards wouldn't even take it in for repair until he paid us both! Just to further the lesson to the guy, Mother Karma sent that storm from the BVI right up to their place in Florida and he lost his new roof. Moral of the story:

Don't allow owners to join a delivery trip.

Don't mess with Island Girls, they have voodoo dolls for those that do so!

Rasper, you've always got the best stories. And yeah, boat owners stiffing people is pretty common. 

A couple of minutes ago.  This is not good.

Reports just received from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter
aircraft indicate that the maximum sustained winds have increased
to 175 mph (280 km/h).  The estimated minimum pressure based on
data from the aircraft is 909 mb (26.84).

Incredible how fast this went from an tropical disturbance to a Cat 5 hurricane. All the best to those in its path.

57 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

A couple of minutes ago.  This is not good.

Reports just received from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter
aircraft indicate that the maximum sustained winds have increased
to 175 mph (280 km/h).  The estimated minimum pressure based on
data from the aircraft is 909 mb (26.84).

Looks like US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are in for some serious shit. 175 sustained? Must put gusts near 200. I can't imagine.

909 MB is unheard of! I had hoped St John would be spared as the track has move south but with that sort of intensity it will be intense. The eye is very tight so maybe those sort of winds will not extend out too far. This could be a replay of Hugo on St Croix.

The 1900 update got our attention.  We are in our garage/shop which is 8" of poured concrete on all sides.  Should be here in the morning, and the house up top is very heavily constructed from Greenheart and all 316 stainless fasteners.  Thwe architect went through Hugo, we told her to design us a 200 year old Danish West Indies tha met modern codes.  She did, and we over built it from there.  She said she never had clients actually asking her about shear properties of the rebar in the concrete and would it not be better to have the first layer of sheathing at 45 degrees for stiffness.  Apparently most of her clients are more concerned are more concerned with the style of faucet.  Really liking the off grid power system right now.   Starting to hear wind gusts but so far so good.  There will be some hurting people here tomorrow.  Why we still have phone and internet I do not know.

8 minutes ago, WYD_StCroix said:

The 1900 update got our attention.  We are in our garage/shop which is 8" of poured concrete on all sides.  Should be here in the morning, and the house up top is very heavily constructed from Greenheart and all 316 stainless fasteners.  Thwe architect went through Hugo, we told her to design us a 200 year old Danish West Indies tha met modern codes.  She did, and we over built it from there.  She said she never had clients actually asking her about shear properties of the rebar in the concrete and would it not be better to have the first layer of sheathing at 45 degrees for stiffness.  Apparently most of her clients are more concerned are more concerned with the style of faucet.  Really liking the off grid power system right now.   Starting to hear wind gusts but so far so good.  There will be some hurting people here tomorrow.  Why we still have phone and internet I do not know.

Stay safe

7 minutes ago, WYD_StCroix said:

Both best wishes and prayers are with your family!

Latest Tidbits, I think.

Flash floods and rain enormous, wind may weaken a tiny bit to 150 kn.

Stay safe St. Croix !

1 hour ago, WYD_StCroix said:

Good luck -- hang in there!

1 hour ago, Swabbie said:

Maybe not at ground level, but thats a small win.

Imagine all the loose trash and debris lying around from the last storm  that will be weaponized at 150+ mph 

Ah, so I guess when we hear these sorts of reports they're talking about flight level wind speeds?

34 minutes ago, Rule69 said:

JUA_loop.gif

looks like st. croix will escape the direct hit , but the eyewall replacement cycle is gonna put a hurting on them, and puerto rico .. yikes.

Loopy are you safe for this shit ???

56 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

looks like st. croix will escape the direct hit , but the eyewall replacement cycle is gonna put a hurting on them, and puerto rico .. yikes.

JFC,  StC is going to get blasted.  so sad...

they may not be taking the direct hit but they're taking the N quad w huge surge.  Total devastation.

9 hours ago, WYD_StCroix said:

Please stay safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, NautiGirl said:

Has anyone come across any photos of post-Maria Dominica? 

from CNN

domenica.jpg.5669f1a94f76edaffafba4aa3106820f.jpg

Thanks dacapo. Just read that they have 7 confirmed dead. We made so many friends there during the week or so we spent in Portsmouth. I feel sick. 

Just heard from the mother of a friend who lives on St. Croix and works at Ridge to Reef Farm - short message, but everyone at the farm was OK, "island not so much" I'm still struggling to deal with the fact that so much of the Northern Caribbean has been essentially wiped off the face of the earth...  Unfortunately we can't get to the Caribbean until after hurricane season is over so don't really know what we can do usefully with our boat - at the moment just settling for sending money to friends and groups who are working on re-building.  The fact that Maria has so royally flattened Puerto Rico & St. Croix is bad news, as that's where the Irma relief efforts were running out of...

All Power Out as Hurricane Maria’s Winds, Floods Crush Puerto Rico

San Juan San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz told MSNBC that the devastation in the capital was unlike any she had ever seen.

“The San Juan that we knew yesterday is no longer there,” Yulín said, adding: “We’re looking at four to six months without electricity” in Puerto Rico, home to nearly 3.5 million people.

“I’m just concerned that we may not get to everybody in time, and that is a great weight on my shoulders,” she said.

Rosanna Cerezo, a lawyer and radio host in metro San Juan, said the city was deluged. It sounded as though bombs were going off when the wind toppled trees around her house, she said.

more:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/hurricane-maria-makes-landfall-puerto-rico-category-4-storm-n802911

47 minutes ago, RKoch said:

“We’re looking at four to six months without electricity” in Puerto Rico, home to nearly 3.5 million people.

That is mind-blowing. Think about that. It's the freakin' stone age for half a year!

20 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

That is mind-blowing. Think about that. It's the freakin' stone age for half a year!

Yea, I'm not sure how that will all shake out. Sounds like catastrophic grid damage. I assume large businesses and wealthy families can get generators installed fairly quickly. Small businesses and poor people will be SOL. It's going to be a huge hit on tourism. It's also a huge hit on relief efforts to the islands hit by Irma...I think a lot of boats were ferrying aid and supplies out of Fajardo.

Harvey:  Cat 1 to Cat 4 in 24 hours
Irma:  Cat 3 to Cat 5 in 24 hours
Jose:  Cat 1 to Cat 4 in 24 hours
Maria:  Cat 1 to Cat 4 in 12 hours, and Cat 1 to Cat 5 in 15 hours

Not content with losing their boat at St Martin courtesy of Irma and then getting airlifted to PR... the chick split but the two guys decided to hang around in PR and see what Maria would dish out sitting on another boat....some people just don't get it.

40 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Not content with losing their boat at St Martin courtesy of Irma and then getting airlifted to PR... the chick split but the two guys decided to hang around in PR and see what Maria would dish out sitting on another boat....some people just don't get it. 

....classic fukwitz.  :mellow:

...ahh, funny.... the Armageddonists are all excited.....first there's Jose(ph),,, then Mar(y)a  ........who comes next!?  :o

....check out the comments!  :lol:

1 hour ago, couchsurfer said:

...ahh, funny.... the Armageddonists are all excited.....first there's Jose(ph),,, then Mar(y)a  ........who comes next!?  :o

....check out the comments!  :lol:

Next one will be NINA

8 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

I think it will go faster than initial estimates but we were without power for 6 weeks after Andrew and no phone or cable for a few more after that. I got my first cellphone because I got tired of driving a mile to wait in line for the pay phone at the Circle K.

Our roads are absolutely crawling with power company trucks from around the country right now. I even saw a dozen of them empty and idling in a parking lot in Port Charlotte the other day. Odd sight at 10 am but I assume they were soon back to work.

We've gotten pretty good at that since Andrew. Millions lost power across FL and the rebuilding is already well under way, at least as far as the electric grid.

Puerto Rico has a problem on a similar scale but no way for hundreds of trucks to suddenly appear from other states.

I couldn't buy a fuel can the other day so I simply ordered one online. It came. I went to Home Depot the same day it came and saw a pallet of them in the aisle. Went to my favorite station and 90 REC (ethanol free) fuel was on tap once again. Trucks and trains caused all those things to happen.

We need a really long bridge.

And if you think idiots are thin on the ground...think again. This guy thought it a far better idea to pay someone $100 in  Puerto Rico to take the sails off his boat  in advance of Hurricane Maria while he jetted off to Thailand to get a hand job from a chick but with a dick & balls bigger than his.

Then again he is a genius compared to some idiotic sycophant who donated him $500 during this live feed he did enroute at the airport.

Where do all these fuckers come from??

42 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I think it will go faster than initial estimates but we were without power for 6 weeks after Andrew and no phone or cable for a few more after that. I got my first cellphone because I got tired of driving a mile to wait in line for the pay phone at the Circle K.

Our roads are absolutely crawling with power company trucks from around the country right now. I even saw a dozen of them empty and idling in a parking lot in Port Charlotte the other day. Odd sight at 10 am but I assume they were soon back to work.

We've gotten pretty good at that since Andrew. Millions lost power across FL and the rebuilding is already well under way, at least as far as the electric grid.

Puerto Rico has a problem on a similar scale but no way for hundreds of trucks to suddenly appear from other states.

I couldn't buy a fuel can the other day so I simply ordered one online. It came. I went to Home Depot the same day it came and saw a pallet of them in the aisle. Went to my favorite station and 90 REC (ethanol free) fuel was on tap once again. Trucks and trains caused all those things to happen.

We need a really long bridge.

In Spain electrical and phone wires suspended from posts have been illegal (on new lines) for decades, everything runs underground. How come they don't do the same there? 

I hope they do now...

9 hours ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

they should be sending in military right now!!

the island will loose control quickly without power.

Along with some of the power-generation/watermaking contractors that serve our military in austere overseas locations - THAT support is critical, and needed right now. 

2 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

In Spain electrical and phone wires suspended from posts have been illegal (on new lines) for decades, everything runs underground. How come they don't do the same there? 

I hope they do now...

Everything, including primary distribution or substation to end user lines?

Cost of below ground is about 10x above ground as is cost of any repairs. In urban and suburban areas, new construction is below ground. In rural areas and for most main transmission (generating station to substations) lines are still above ground. 

When lines are replaced, loss experience is factored in. I'm the second last house on a 7 mile above ground run. 3 years ago, the power company went through a pole replacement cycle. About 1/4 from my house, the line follows an off road right of way so servicing required off road equipment. Base on a couple of tropical storms, one hurricane and a couple of ice storms, the cost to maintain that off road section was very high so they buried those lines for that last 1/4 mile and offered me a low cost shift to underground for that portion on my property. 

11 hours ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

they should be sending in military right now!!

the island will loose control quickly without power.

Oh great, another state.

3 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Everything, including primary distribution or substation to end user lines?

Cost of below ground is about 10x above ground as is cost of any repairs. In urban and suburban areas, new construction is below ground. In rural areas and for most main transmission (generating station to substations) lines are still above ground. 

When lines are replaced, loss experience is factored in. I'm the second last house on a 7 mile above ground run. 3 years ago, the power company went through a pole replacement cycle. About 1/4 from my house, the line follows an off road right of way so servicing required off road equipment. Base on a couple of tropical storms, one hurricane and a couple of ice storms, the cost to maintain that off road section was very high so they buried those lines for that last 1/4 mile and offered me a low cost shift to underground for that portion on my property. 

Long distance high voltage lines still go on towers, in cities and and residential areas pretty much any installation made in the last 30 years is underground. I don't know about rural areas,  

Chuso,

Go to St John and grab a pick and shovel and go out beside any road and start to dig. You won't get far. Those islands have a very thin layer of topsoil with bedrock just inches below the surface. The predominant rock is basalt and is so hard that the locals call it 'Blue Bitch'. On some of the low islands such as Barbuda and Anegada the sand and coral rock would permit underground utilities unlike the volcanic mountainous ones.

I was shocked to see the state of this big cat in St Martin after Irma ripped through there. Boat looked like it was well enclosed between two substantial concrete piers but it seems like the wind got under the visor like edge of the cabin top and simply peeled back the whole deckhouse!  You see this sort of damage on mobile homes and RV's but on an oceangoing catamaran? WTF?

JPNGXd2.png

Dude, that is awesome!  They could be air-dropped all over the place.

Wow. Just wow.

Puerto Rico already had a debt of 123 billion and was attempting to "restructure" that debt. That's billion with a B.

They literally can't afford this.

is it true that Barbuda is vacant?

9 minutes ago, Parma said:

Wow. Just wow.

Puerto Rico already had a debt of 123 billion and was attempting to "restructure" that debt. That's billion with a B.

They literally can't afford this.

is it true that Barbuda is vacant?

As of last Sunday Barbuda was uninhabited.  Don't know if anyone has gone back yet, suspect not.

23 minutes ago, Parma said:

Wow. Just wow.

They literally can't afford this...

And neither can we.

Watching the Tube lastnight

a program on Worlds Most Exclusive Islands

Holy Fuck what mess they have Bet so much on

Structures built right on the water like a dock

Castels made on shifting Sand 

I happen to have never gone to any of those islands in harms way so I had No idea

For anyone else who hasnt seen what wad built with No reguard for Storm Resistance have a look around this --> https://www.google.com/amp/s/theluxurytravelexpert.com/2016/10/17/top-10-most-luxurious-resorts-in-the-caribbean/amp/#ampshare=https://theluxurytravelexpert.com/2016/10/17/top-10-most-luxurious-resorts-in-the-caribbean/

Scary..... so Sad for those eiking out a living working around such low lying places

I spent a lot of time in the late nineties on P.R. There were areas that were like a war zone, back then.

Can't imagine what it's going to be like now. Better send in the troops.

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Couple that w/a solar still - and that would be an invaluable disaster response capability. 

but they probably don't have the inventory or production capacity to respond to a situation like the aftermath of these storms

also, they are not publicly traded. could be a great company and it is a neat idea

I know this is way out of line, but I freakin' HATE this particular hurricane because every time I see its name this goes through my head...