• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Meat Wad

The Classic Barg, complete with yelling crew :)

As painful as it is to watch 4knt shit boxes race, here is a 10 minute edited vid of a 50 minute race. The start w/barging, a crossing, mark roundings, gybes and the finish.

the highlight is differently the start where we try to close the door but this boat just keeps coming. If I had not come down, I think my bowman would have been hurt. The barge'r was over early and not a factor in the weekend regatta. We start off on our port approach at about 1:30 to go.

Check out the first set, great crew work as we had to chase down a fast 3030 GPS.

On 9/21/2017 at 2:07 AM, Meat Wad said:

As painful as it is to watch 4knt shit boxes race......

Here's mine during Falmouth Week 2016 in the UK.  If you're a ELO fan you'll like the tune.  If not, well tough I guess :-)

We did the 2017 edition as well last August.

Hey meat - work with your main trimmer, especially pre-start.  When you are trying to spin down hard sharply, the main should be blown.  When you are trying to head up, the main should be coming in.  He should be anticipating your motions and helping.  Likewise - upwind in a breeze like you had he should be on that sheet watching your helm - every time you get a puff and the boat heels, you lose a lot of speed when you yank it to windward.  He should be easing to release pressure from your helm or you're bleeding off speed.

It's less important on a small boat than a big one because the momentum you gain from the short speed burst will bleed off more quickly, but it's still important.

Also - swap over to a continuous traveler line.  It'll prevent the trimmer from having to dick around keeping the leeward side from getting all tangled.

Thanks for the accolades but many of you are right.
The main trimmer was new to the team and did not quite understand the nuances of such a big main on this 26' boat and a skipper that is a paraplegic.
None the less here is the results of the weekend event. Look at the B Fleet overall and then you can look at the individual races.
My boat is Gumbercules. As flexible as Gumby and as Strong as Hercules. It's Gumbercules.

http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/regatta_uploads/15374/2017_Ventura_Cup.html

A very tight race indeed.

On September 20, 2017 at 9:07 PM, Meat Wad said:

Check out the first set, great crew work as we had to chase down a fast 3030 GPS.

Watched up to the first leeward rounding.  Does everyone on your boat have hemorrhoids?  Why is everyone standing up on the downwind when you're deep enough to see everything from anywhere.  The chute trimmer standing in my line of sight would be a distraction to me and I don't think foredeck ever sat down.  Don't get it.  Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your placing.  

12 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Watched up to the first leeward rounding.  Does everyone on your boat have hemorrhoids?  Why is everyone standing up on the downwind when you're deep enough to see everything from anywhere.  The chute trimmer standing in my line of sight would be a distraction to me and I don't think foredeck ever sat down.  Don't get it.  Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your placing.  

It's a very wide boat on deck. And remember, I can't stand so I have learnt to see things in a different way. When everyone sits, all I see are bodies.

Zap26_1600.jpg

On 9/22/2017 at 0:10 PM, Laser1 said:

Here's mine during Falmouth Week 2016 in the UK.  If you're a ELO fan you'll like the tune.  If not, well tough I guess :-)

We did the 2017 edition as well last August.

It's tough to watch 5 knts.

Good on ya mate.

If you wanna see more of my vids, sailing and land sailing, here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCujoGJLdmZodqf67iL36TIA

https://vimeo.com/user55414981

6 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

It's tough to watch 5 knts.

5 knots! ..... lucky you :-)

Although I did see 10.3 on the GPS once with half a gale from behind and a carrying tide.

The keel bolts were red hot, I tell ya.

11 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

It's a very wide boat on deck. And remember, I can't stand so I have learnt to see things in a different way. When everyone sits, all I see are bodies.

Got it.  I sailed on a Pinnacle 29 for a few years that had a similar flare.  I hope this isn't rude, but I'd like to see how you hump your ass from one side to the other...probably quicker than most of us.  Again, congratulations on your win.  

2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Got it.  I sailed on a Pinnacle 29 for a few years that had a similar flare.  I hope this isn't rude, but I'd like to see how you hump your ass from one side to the other...probably quicker than most of us.  Again, congratulations on your win.  

Here is a Wet Wednesday from last year 18+ with the blade up. The camera was in 1080 super view so the angles look weird at the edges.
Right after the start an Olson 40 starts driving over us. We bail right as soon as I set up. The only boats that beat us to the weather mark are a J35, Olson 40 and a Fast 42.
Check out how close we call the layline.
It's an hour race edited to 12 minutes and on the way back (close reach) we take a few pretty good waves and get wet.

Good work, the barger was pretty bad but avoiding the collision with you or the RC boat was a good thing to do. You can always get them chucked later.