• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
the_abandoned_brane

Jeep.

Hate to piss in your cereal but I had a Cherokee in the early 90's   Biggest piece of shit automobile I ever owned.  Lousy mileage, no interior space, tons of wind noise on the highway, and it began falling apart before I was off the lot at the dealer.   I've been a mini-van guy ever since.

5 minutes ago, Serge A. Storms said:

Hate to piss in your cereal but I had a Cherokee in the early 90's   Biggest piece of shit automobile I ever owned.  Lousy mileage, no interior space, tons of wind noise on the highway, and it began falling apart before I was off the lot at the dealer.   I've been a mini-van guy ever since.

I've had very good luck with every Jeep I've owned.(97 Cherokee, 95YJ, 06TJ). However I have had the worst luck with the Hondas I've owned (2012 Crosstour, 2012 250hp Outboard, 1999 VT1100 C3 bike) All have left me stranded and costs big $$ to fix. One could not hand me a Honda for free unless it was a lawnmower.

Serge, you're pissing in 25yr old cornflakes there.

To assert that Jeep's (or any carmaker's) product from 25 or even 10 years ago is an indication of their current product is nonsense.   They've all done quality and they've all done crap at one time or another, each model must be evaluated on its own merits. 

Furthermore, if you bought a cherokee for the mileage or the interior space, or the quiet highway ride you plainly bought the wrong car.    The "falling apart before I was off the lot at the dealer" was also a well known trait in that era.   If you didn't know what you were buying it was because you didn't want to know.

I dunno if I dig that 2018 wrangler redesign.    I do know that I'd buy my 06 LJ back in a heartbeat.   I should've sold the boat and kept that car.

Check out Boothy's Facebook page, he got one of those old Willys Jeeps on the road, first time on the road in "nearly 35 years." That man is a damned genius with bringing old engines back to life.

He gave me the step-by-step plan for getting my old 1975 Fiat Spider running again, I haven't started it since 1990, so many things that I would have missed, he's like a Amadeus Mozart of old engines.

1 hour ago, PuffyJman said:

I've had very good luck with every Jeep I've owned.(97 Cherokee, 95YJ, 06TJ). However I have had the worst luck with the Hondas I've owned (2012 Crosstour, 2012 250hp Outboard, 1999 VT1100 C3 bike) All have left me stranded and costs big $$ to fix. One could not hand me a Honda for free unless it was a lawnmower.

Your Honda experience surprises me - I've put over 300K on every honda vehicle I've owned (well, my old Sabre only had 65K on it when I sold it) - I'm waiting for the Jeep pickup w/the eco-diesel.  I may have to break down and buy Chrysler again if that comes to fruition. 

absolutely love my Jeep Wrangler, 150 K on it now. driven it to FL a couple times through mud/snow and anything else you can think of. 

I have had Ford and Chevy trucks both have needed more work and sooner than the Jeep. 

jeep.png

LOL yep they are definitely not speed demons. 

my dog loves riding in the back with the seat taken out so she has plenty of room. 

There really is a lot to the statement "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand." Yes, they're underpowered, they handle like bricks, overpriced, uncomfortable, boxy, unreliable ... just about every negative attribute that can be applied to a car applies to Jeeps, particularly older ones. But ... I love 'em. Built up several Wranglers and Cherokees and thoroughly abused them. The aftermarket parts available and things you can do to them are just plain fun. And for some reason, used ones are so overpriced that they tend to be worth putting the time and money into.

My TJ is very comfortable because I threw the back seat away and bought some brackets that move the driver seat and the passenger seat rearward about 4 in.

I'm 6'4"

Using my girlfriends jeep to move a few things...we.re not together anymore BTW......

FYI..jeep trans not going into drive from 2nd.. after a lot of searching for the correct answer on the internet and many wrong info...bad trans, need rebuilt, pump..and tons of other mis-information..  finally discovered it was a relay in the fuse box... 

1935601_1196118706206_5571531_n.jpg

On 9/21/2017 at 0:38 AM, the_abandoned_brane said:

Soon. 2018

omj6GOq.jpg

That's a Jeep for people who want to "pretend" to own a Jeep.  A/C, cruise control, hardtop, stereo, etc....

This is a Jeep

Image result for Jeep MB

agree. I ordered my Jeep because everything on the lot was A/C, Auto, hard top etc.

Young salesman I ordered from said I don't understand what you're ordering. old guy walks by and says "oh a "real" Jeep" LOL

no PW, PL, A/C or auto in mine. 

First Jeep an 85 CJ-7, off the lot with 400 miles, $ 8500.00, Inline 6, put over 250 K miles on it, even stock would go places most couldn't. Unfortunately, this was about the time the EPA started cracking down on emissions, and the motor was re-designed with a computer controlled/metered carb, vacuum lines out the wazoo, solenoids, etc. 

Grand Wagoneer (woody), Cherokees and Grand Cherokees also in the mix...

Venture a guess on the 2018 price tag approaching 45K...?

Rumor that the Chinese were considering buying the Jeep Brand, ouch!

On 9/21/2017 at 7:27 AM, captpiratedog said:

Unless I'm mistaken, that's about the only motor vehicle the OP should be eligible to operate... sorry AB, and I'm no saint, but didn't you just get out of the can for multiple DUI's??   I mean I guess you could drive the elephant in the room....

47 minutes ago, Owen said:

Unless I'm mistaken, that's about the only motor vehicle the OP should be eligible to operate... sorry AB, and I'm no saint, but didn't you just get out of the can for multiple DUI's??   I mean I guess you could drive the elephant in the room....

ah , sorry, I feel like a dick.  I won't bring it up again.  

That ain't a Jeep.

I had a (Never should have sold it) 1953 M38a1 that was unstoppable. I took the Cooper cross country tires off of it for that reason..... It wouldn't stop in the snow. After I put regular M/S 10 ply radials on it (7.5X34/16) It was a great driving car, as long as you didn't want to go over 45-50MPH, which I didn't. When we moved to the Caribbean, I seriously considered bringing it, but the import duty on a vehicle that old was insane. When we moved back to the states, I tried to buy it back from the guy who bought it from me..... He'd replaced the distributor cap..... I sold it to him for 2.4K, and he wanted 12K.... Needless to say I'm still Jeepless.

17 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

That ain't a Jeep.

I had a (Never should have sold it) 1953 M38a1 that was unstoppable. I took the Cooper cross country tires off of it for that reason..... It wouldn't stop in the snow. After I put regular M/S 10 ply radials on it (7.5X34/16) It was a great driving car, as long as you didn't want to go over 45-50MPH, which I didn't. When we moved to the Caribbean, I seriously considered bringing it, but the import duty on a vehicle that old was insane. When we moved back to the states, I tried to buy it back from the guy who bought it from me..... He'd replaced the distributor cap..... I sold it to him for 2.4K, and he wanted 12K.... Needless to say I'm still Jeepless.

I had a JC3B

could have bought another house with what I DUMPED in it

bought it stock, wore it out put a Buick V6  +++++++++++ Everyfucking thing I could do to it

I could put the towbar onto something and unlock the hubs on all 4 wheels

It's Not that I'm Not a Jeep Guy

I'm Not a coil spring auto roll over and die jeep guy

Loved my JK when I had it, and wouldn't mind picking up another.  Miss that thing.

And, in response to an earlier post, I'm sorry but life is too short to drive a minivan.

3 hours ago, sailho said:

First Jeep an 85 CJ-7, off the lot with 400 miles, $ 8500.00, Inline 6, put over 250 K miles on it, even stock would go places most couldn't. Unfortunately, this was about the time the EPA started cracking down on emissions, and the motor was re-designed with a computer controlled/metered carb, vacuum lines out the wazoo, solenoids, etc. 

Grand Wagoneer (woody), Cherokees and Grand Cherokees also in the mix...

Venture a guess on the 2018 price tag approaching 45K...?

Rumor that the Chinese were considering buying the Jeep Brand, ouch!

Base price will be around $27k. Not too bad, Dana designed new axles for it. And yes it's a jeep, is your car not a car because it has roll up windows? 

I'm picking up a basic one, with only cruise and a/c. 

Owen, you are a dick, having said that I never made it to the can, 90 day rehab for me, year license suspension. 

5 hours ago, avenger79 said:

agree. I ordered my Jeep because everything on the lot was A/C, Auto, hard top etc.

Young salesman I ordered from said I don't understand what you're ordering. old guy walks by and says "oh a "real" Jeep" LOL

no PW, PL, A/C or auto in mine. 

I get the no frills for a lighter weight and reliability, however I love an auto transmission especially when I rock crawl. The JK Rubicon is the best factory crawler to date. If I didn't need a Diesel truck for work I would have one as a daily driver.

7 minutes ago, PuffyJman said:

I love an auto transmission especially when I rock crawl. The JK Rubicon is the best factory crawler to date.

Adgreede, a tottalle nessesitey, burneng up cluches is foure newbiese.            :)

I'd  love to have that new Jeep and I get it with an automatic transmission with cruise control. The only real pain in the ass with my TJ is driving long distance without cruise control

I've got a 4.0 5-speed. You actually have to give it throttle to go downhill. 15 miles per gallon is all you're going to get

2 hours ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

Owen, you are a dick, having said that I never made it to the can, 90 day rehab for me, year license suspension. 

I'll own that and be stuck with this:                               

020fafba1ffa5ff9b76248a15b57632d---jeep-

Godspeed on your progress, either auto or stick.  

We have been testing 3 of the 2018 JLs for nearly a year now.  Some good stuff.  Some not so good.  Some interesting power train options forthcoming.  More windshield rake and stop/start to help with fuel economy.

MS

Check out Rick Booth's Facebook page, he got an old Wileys Jeep on the road, after being stored for 35-some years.

That man is the Amadeus Mozart of bringing old engines back to life.

2 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

We have been testing 3 of the 2018 JLs for nearly a year now.  Some good stuff.  Some not so good.  Some interesting power train options forthcoming.  More windshield rake and stop/start to help with fuel economy.

MS

What auto transmission are they using ?

3 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

MS

How does that start/stop gadget work with manual? Is the side vent functional?  Is.... oh nevermind.... 

Spies say an 8 speed automatic and 6 speed manual.

The "not so good" sounds ominous.

Will any new Jeep (or any other brand 4x4)

Be able to navagate parkinglot speedbumps

At anything better than a snails pace as most all do anymore

I cant go into specifics.  The 3 we have are early prototypes so they have had some teething issues.  All 3 are Autos so I cant speak to Stop/Start in the manual.

MS

some prefer auto some prefer manual. I have wheeled the hell out of a lot of vehicles with clutches, I enjoy it. I do not however do a lot of rock crawling. For that I am sure an auto would be better.

some people get into a lot of trouble wheeling with auto though as they suddenly punch it and away it goes. LOL 

20 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I cant go into specifics.  The 3 we have are early prototypes so they have had some teething issues.  All 3 are Autos so I cant speak to Stop/Start in the manual.

MS

So, the ZF 8-speed then. Got it. Thanks :D

I can't wait for the truck next fall. Im hoping they stick with a manual option, a real low range, Dana 44 front axle option. But I really want some load capacity and ability to tow my J80. 

I just hope that it's reliable. Big and probably impossible shoes to fill with current yota in reliability.

8E0A6774-FDEF-46B4-A709-DABB97EE16F3-3044-000002E3DFD9CA77_tmp.png

On 9/22/2017 at 8:03 PM, Dorado said:

I'd  love to have that new Jeep and I get it with an automatic transmission with cruise control. The only real pain in the ass with my TJ is driving long distance without cruise control

I've got a 4.0 5-speed. You actually have to give it throttle to go downhill. 15 miles per gallon is all you're going to get

You must’ve been hyper miling! My TJ got 14 mpg city or highway. I still had the five speed, but at least I had cruise control. Oddly, it would quit working when I got caught in heavy rain without a lid. I think the cruise control was the only thing that wasn’t waterproof. It would work again once it dried out. 

Dyson has announced plans on building a cleaner electric SUV with interchangeable parts that will enable the driver to go from urban clean driving mode to dirt mode. In dirt mode , Dyson promises that even the softest of sugar sand, the dustiest of dust, the wettest of mud cannot stop the power of the Dyson Cleaner Energy CarImage result for Dyson

18 hours ago, Cape_taco12 said:

I can't wait for the truck next fall. Im hoping they stick with a manual option, a real low range, Dana 44 front axle option. But I really want some load capacity and ability to tow my J80. 

I just hope that it's reliable. Big and probably impossible shoes to fill with current yota in reliability.

That, in a 4 door, w/the Eco Diesel? (especially if Chrylser would get off it's butt and offer the unlimited mileage warranty option for the diesel-powered vehicles) I'd be in line to buy one.   I put 45K miles a yr on my main driver - the original factory warranties are useless - I need something that'll go for 300K, hence my habit of buying Hondas and Subarus. 

On 9/26/2017 at 1:40 PM, Cape_taco12 said:

I have bad news for you - late 2019 at the soonest as a 2020 model.

MS