badlatitude

The NFL Tells Trump to Shut Up

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a segregated bus.

Students refused to leave a lunch segregated counter

People defied oppression and died for their efforts.

A few millionaires take a knee at the national anthem and THOSE 1%ers are your fucking heroes?

Some of us can admire the actions of more than one group of people at a time. Perhaps you've lost that ability in your old age?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never knew this. 

There was a 5th verse, during the civil war.

 

When our land is illumined with Liberty's smile,
If a foe from within strike a blow at her glory,
Down, down with the traitor that dares to defile
The flag of her stars and the page of her story!
By the millions unchained who our birthright have gained,
We will keep her bright blazon forever unstained!
And the Star-Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave
While the land of the free is the home of the brave.

 

wonder why we didn't keep it? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, frenchie said:

I never knew this. 

There was a 5th verse, during the civil war.

 

When our land is illumined with Liberty's smile,
If a foe from within strike a blow at her glory,
Down, down with the traitor that dares to defile
The flag of her stars and the page of her story!
By the millions unchained who our birthright have gained,
We will keep her bright blazon forever unstained!
And the Star-Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave
While the land of the free is the home of the brave.

 

wonder why we didn't keep it? 

 

Learned something. Thank you. 

Amazing and timely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a segregated bus.

Do your homework moron.  Rosa Parks was the 2nd choice because the first girl was knocked up.  Staged...you bet.  

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

 

This speaks for itself.

DKklU9oXUAAcreF.jpg

 

 

 

Yeah, something oddly familiar about the Faux-rage...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cmilliken said:

Shep Rocks ;)

 

Before Fox, he was at the local Fox affiliate in South Florida, the king of local "if it bleeds it leads" stations.  Speaking out as he so often does takes a pair.  Speaking out at risk of his employment, on behalf of someone who is doing his own brand of speaking out at risk of his employment, has a certain symmetry to it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Before Fox, he was at the local Fox affiliate in South Florida, the king of local "if it bleeds it leads" stations.  Speaking out as he so often does takes a pair.  Speaking out at risk of his employment, on behalf of someone who is doing his own brand of speaking out at risk of his employment, has a certain symmetry to it.  

Truth :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Interesting background to one MLB players actions over the weekend.

 

Jeff Passan 
MLB columnist 
Yahoo SportsSep 25, 2017, 10:23 AM 


The 2000 Census counted 14,128 people living in Cullman, Alabama, a city in the northern part of the state, halfway between Huntsville and Birmingham. Forty-eight of those residents were black. Baseball took Bruce Maxwell an hour down the road to Cullman that year for a tournament. He was just shy of 10 years old, mature enough to understand that almost nobody there looked like him, innocent enough to believe it didn’t matter. His father was African-American. His mother was white. He couldn’t control who he was. 


“We won the tournament,” Maxwell said, “and a man stood up in the stands. And he threatened to hang me and my dad.”



He is far from the only black man in America with a story like this, a moment when race is imprinted on his consciousness against his will. It is a rite of passage into a life of indiscriminate threats against his body, his being. It forever bends his worldview. The moment, however, does not resign him to see the world from that perspective solely. Maxwell – now 26 years old, grown, thoughtful, giving, conflicted – sees it like a military man, which his father was, and like an athlete, which he is, and like an American, which matters to him as much as any of those other prisms, because it combines the best and worst of them to offer a reality that is his alone. 

And so should anyone try to pigeonhole Bruce Maxwell as he embarks on this new life, after he knelt during the national anthem Saturday before a game with his Oakland A’s, baseball cap in hand, hand over heart, eyes fixed on the flying flag, careful to show respect, dignified, the first active Major League Baseball player to engage in a show of public dissent, let it be said: He is not any one thing. He is many things that make one. He is a black, baseball-playing, son-of-a-soldier American.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bruce-maxwell-knelt-national-anthem-172301672.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Do your homework moron.  Rosa Parks was the 2nd choice because the first girl was knocked up.  Staged...you bet.  

Still took a bit more guts than the players are showing.

Ruby Bridges and her parents had more balls.than most teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One plus about getting older is that pro sports don't mean spit any more. The taunting, the ridiculous amounts of money involved, the crazy hair, the ignorance; all that stuff drove me away years before these guys had their 15 minutes in the sun.

Why anyone cares what these and so-called celebs think is beyond me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it funny how the most upset complainers saying the kneelers are disrespecting out troops, never served themselves?  Compensating much?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I’ve seen a lot of posts over the last 24 hours regarding “respecting the flag” and what that means…and how athletes who use their public forum to voice dissent are somehow “unpatriotic”. I want to offer a different opinion. 

My father is buried at the foot of the flagpole in Golden Gate National Cemetery. He landed at Normandy, fought at the Battle of the Bulge and liberated Nazi camps in Germany. His enemy was fascism. I served as a Green Beret in the early 1970s (pretty sure you all know what that entails). Our enemy at the time was communism. My son is currently a serving officer in the Army, who on his dress blues wears the Bronze Star he was awarded during a year-long tour in Afghanistan. His enemy is and was the Taliban and the threat of terrorism. 

Three generations of my family, serving the USA, in harms’ way. Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. 

I can tell you, speaking for three generations of my family, it is PRECISELY for men like Kaepernick, and his right to peacefully protest injustice, that we were willing to serve. There is NOTHING more respectful of our country than living up to its ideals. There is nothing more patriotic than to say “I’m concerned with injustice, and will use my position to try and address it.” 

Want to know what’s unpatriotic? Using your white privilege to avoid serving, citing “bone spurs in the heel” while playing varsity tennis at college while others went. Want to know what is antithetical to American values? Using the most powerful pulpit in the land to incite violence – against ANYONE. Want to define disgraceful behavior? Denigrating a man like Senator John McCain’s service and heroism while you sat home. 

Want to respect the American flag? Then respect the ideals for which it stands. Bullying language and calling peaceful protesters “sons of bitches” who should be fired aren’t among them."

 

From the Facebook page of Michael Sand

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

In response to Trump's retweet shown below -

Marie Tillman

"As a football player and soldier, Pat inspired countless Americans to unify. It is my hope that his memory should always remind people that we must come together."

"Pat's service, along with that of every man and woman's service, should never be politicized in a way that divides us. We are too great of a country for that.

"Those that serve fight for the American ideals of freedom, justice and democracy. They and their families know the cost of that fight. I know the very personal costs in a way I feel acutely every day. The very action of self expression and the freedom to speak from one's heart — no matter those views — is what Pat and so many other Americans have given their lives for. Even if they didn't always agree with those views.

It is my sincere hope that our leaders both understand and learn from the lessons of Pat's life and death, and also those of so many other brave Americans."

 

 

IMG_3317.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a segregated bus.

Students refused to leave a lunch segregated counter

People defied oppression and died for their efforts.

A few millionaires take a knee at the national anthem and THOSE 1%ers are your fucking heroes?

I missed the part where anyone said they were heroes. 

Supporting someone against (unfair, hypocritical, bullshit) attack =! glorifying them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, frenchie said:

I missed the part where anyone said they were heroes. 

Supporting someone against (unfair, hypocritical, bullshit) attack =! glorifying them.

 

It's easier for some posters to argue against mythical stances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Still took a bit more guts than the players are showing.

Ruby Bridges and her parents had more balls.than most teams.

folks at the home let you access WiFi again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case you forgot that time Donald Trump Tweeted there were bigger problems facing the US and President Obama should not be telling an NFL team what to do.

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 5.05.24 PM.png

Ahhh, those were the days....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

It's easier for some posters to argue against mythical stances.

Saorsa has a track record for it. Generally when there is a good argument against Trump/Republicans and he has nothing to refute the actual issue. Red herrings are not just a Danish delicacy, nor strawmen confined to the cornfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

Saorsa has a track record for it. Generally when there is a good argument against Trump/Republicans and he has nothing to refute the actual issue. Red herrings are not just a Danish delicacy.

Even Akavit couldn't kill the taste of a red herring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a segregated bus.

Students refused to leave a lunch segregated counter

People defied oppression and died for their efforts.

A few millionaires take a knee at the national anthem and THOSE 1%ers are your fucking heroes?

 

 

Their salaries are quite irrelevant. There are few people in the black community in most western countries that have a high enough public profile to make an audible public statement..Sports "hero's" have that profile

UbGljpu.png

TotqRjH.png

WM7pZPN.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colin used to sit on the bench during the anthem. Nate Boyer (ex Seahawks player and Green Beret) convinced him to take a knee in order to show respect to the flag that meant so much to so many.

"We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammates," Boyer says. "Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave, you know, to show respect. When we're on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-nate-boyer-got-colin-kaepernick-to-go-from-sitting-to-kneeling/

I don't get how this form of protest can be twisted to be anti-American or disrespectful to the flag. When else in our history has quietly taking a knee, somberly & motionless been construed as "disrespectful"? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

Colin used to sit on the bench during the anthem. Nate Boyer (ex Seahawks player and Green Beret) convinced him to take a knee in order to show respect to the flag that meant so much to so many.

"We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammates," Boyer says. "Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave, you know, to show respect. When we're on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-nate-boyer-got-colin-kaepernick-to-go-from-sitting-to-kneeling/

I don't get how this form of protest can be twisted to be anti-American or disrespectful to the flag. When else in our history has quietly taking a knee, somberly & motionless been construed as "disrespectful"? 

When idiots who thought Reagan was the coolest thing since James Dean took control of the republican party, and then adored Newt Gingrich, and Pat Robertson, and Billy Graham, and Tammy Faye Baker, and when an oxycontin snorting fat man took over the radio waves, and trailer park chic became cool, and when it became more popular to be an evangelical than a rational thinking human being, and when it became OK to criticize people for having a different faith than you...... After 1949.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG, what will we have to do to let these bold and daring young men stand again?

WTF are they risking, what do they actually want?

Usually, when protesting, some sort of outcome is expected and stated.

When explaining, please remember to include feeding all the starving children of the world.

This ranks right up with #bringbackourgirls in effectiveness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

WTF are they risking, what do they actually want?

They're risking unemployment, as Kapernick makes evident. If you don't know what they want yet, you're not paying attention.

Then again, I don't believe for a second you've not read them detailing their grievance and why the "take a knee" movement amongst athletes and teams is spreading. However, acknowledging why it has taken hold beyond one or two players would mean actually manning up to having a 'dotard' for a president... and as long as he remains on Team Red, we know you'll consistently "not support" the man by running interference whenever he fucks up. :rolleyes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Saorsa said:

OMG, what will we have to do to let these bold and daring young men stand again?

WTF are they risking, what do they actually want?

Usually, when protesting, some sort of outcome is expected and stated.

When explaining, please remember to include feeding all the starving children of the world.

This ranks right up with #bringbackourgirls in effectiveness.

Basically, they are calling attention to the same racial, legal and socio-economic American inequality that created the BLM movement. Sorry you didn't get the memo. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Saorsa said:

OMG, what will we have to do to let these bold and daring young men stand again?

WTF are they risking, what do they actually want?

Usually, when protesting, some sort of outcome is expected and stated.

When explaining, please remember to include feeding all the starving children of the world.

This ranks right up with #bringbackourgirls in effectiveness.

go back to the porch and yell at the people on your lawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

go back to the porch and yell at the people little children playing on your lawn.

FTFY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, phillysailor said:

Basically, they are calling attention to the same racial, legal and socio-economic American inequality that created the BLM movement. Sorry you didn't get the memo. 

So, nobody noticed before?

Once again, what are they risking, what do they want?  What do they expect?  Most of them didn't do shit until Trump bitched about it.  Apparently that's more important than the actual 'oppression'.

If I got such a memo, I trashed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

So, nobody noticed before?

Not as many as are talking about it now. Publicity has a way of doing that.

 

48 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Once again, what are they risking, what do they want?  What do they expect?  Most of them didn't do shit until Trump bitched about it.  Apparently that's more important than the actual 'oppression'.

You've already had those questions answered. Your legendary ignorance is now patently wilful.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dog said:

Put off by the NFL? There is an alternative.

 

Put off by folks exercising their first amendment rights?  Why would anyone be put off by that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Put off by folks exercising their first amendment rights?  Why would anyone be put off by that?

They don't appreciate the form of the expression. Respecting the first does not require that one agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dog said:

They don't appreciate the form of the expression. Respecting the first does not require that one agree.

Normally this would not be a first amendment issue, but the head of the government calling for the firing of players expressing an opinion makes it one.  Why are you not as outraged at the dotard as you are about antifa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

Normally this would not be a first amendment issue, but the head of the government calling for the firing of players expressing an opinion makes it one.  Why are you not as outraged at the dotard as you are about antifa?

Because Trump hasn't resorted to or advocated violence. On the topic, I think players should be free to protest, owners should be free to fire them for it and fans free to ignore them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dog said:

Because Trump hasn't resorted to or advocated violence. On the topic, I think players should be free to protest, owners should be free to fire them for it and fans free to ignore them.

Do you think the government should encourage the suppression of protests?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dog said:

Because Trump hasn't resorted to or advocated violence. On the topic, I think players should be free to protest, owners should be free to fire them for it and fans free to ignore them.

:rolleyes:HA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dog said:

They don't appreciate the form of the expression. Respecting the first does not require that one agree.

Odell Beckham did a much better job of mocking Trump.

screen-shot-2017-09-24-at-12-37-05-pm.pn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spatial Ed said:

Do you think the government should encourage the suppression of protests?

No. Trump should shut up about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dog said:

No. Trump should shut up about it.

Is the government encouraging the suppression of rights an act of violence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

Is the government encouraging the suppression of rights an act of violence?

What he did was criticize the protesters which is not the suppression of their rights but the exercise of his. He also encouraged the owners to exercise their right to fire the protesters. That said, I think he should have shut up about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need a law to protect the political speech of employees in the workplace. 

  • The person  in the Minnie Mouse suit at Disneyland should be allowed to wear an I'm with her Button.
  • Pilots and Flight attendants should be allowed to rant against Trump after each cabin anouncement
  • Servers at the McDonald's takeout window should be allowed to tell cars with FOX, RNC, NRA, CPAC and Trump stickers that they are all racist Nazi scum.

When I'm president I'll make all liberal speech protected in the workplace.

Hillary in 2020

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dog said:

Because Trump hasn't resorted to or advocated violence. On the topic, I think players should be free to protest, owners should be free to fire them for it and fans free to ignore them.

Say what? Trump hasn't advocated violence against protesters? What fucking planet are you on?

t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dog said:

What he did was criticize the protesters which is not the suppression of their rights but the exercise of his. He also encouraged the owners to exercise their right to fire the protesters. That said, I think he should have shut up about it.

Trump was using the power of the office to intimidate citizens into involuntary displays of patriotism.  Come see the violence inherit in he system.  Help,help I'm being repressed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Say what? Trump hasn't advocated violence against protesters? What fucking planet are you on?

t

This is probably one of those times when we should not listen to the actual words that come out of his mouth, but what is in his heart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

This is probably one of those times when we should not listen to the actual words that come out of his mouth, but what is in his heart.

Interesting how Doggie ran away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

This is probably one of those times when we should not listen to the actual words that come out of his mouth, but what is in his heart.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!",

Paging Lamon Cranston, paging Lamont Cranston.  Mr. Cranston to the white courtesy phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

The Shadow knows!",

the shadow was flicked a long time ago.............;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump just can't seem to get away from sleeze.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/lingerie-football-league-becomes-first-sport-to-back-donald-trump-and-stand-for-the-american-anthem/news-story/20b75bc2c32ab51014dee2158983a0ac

Trump attracts the support of the most distasteful in any cohort like vomit attracts flies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NFL may be in for a ratings slump. It's finally dawning on those folks in the Confederate States of America that the NFL actually has mostly black people playing and that those players make more money than their sorry white asses do.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, badlatitude said:

22049884_10213581257596038_4644114539758

Don't let Tom see this.  He's got a sore spot for these type of outlandish lawsuit demands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bus Driver said:

Don't let Tom see this.  He's got a sore spot for these type of outlandish lawsuit demands.

I wish I could enlarge it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2017 at 10:27 AM, badlatitude said:

"NFL commissioner Roger Goodell fired back at President Trump on Saturday for encouraging league owners to remove players who take a knee during the national anthem, saying Trump’s “divisive comments” show “an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL.” 

That was fun while it lasted.

Now the NFL has decided to show disrespectful players the door.
 

Quote

 

Because nothing says "patriotism" quite like ordering people under penalty of a fine to stand up during the National Anthem, the taxpayer-soaking cajillionaires who run the National Football League have announced a new policy of fining any team caught having an employee sitting, kneeling, or acting disrespectfully on the field while "The Star-Spangled Banner" plays before a game.

"We want people to be respectful of the national anthem," explained NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "We want people to stand...and make sure they treat this moment in a respectful fashion. That's something we think we owe. [But] we were also very sensitive to give players choices."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s the home of the free and if you don’t respect it in the manner I dictate you are fired.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:
On 9/23/2017 at 3:27 PM, badlatitude said:

"NFL commissioner Roger Goodell fired back at President Trump on Saturday for encouraging league owners to remove players who take a knee during the national anthem, saying Trump’s “divisive comments” show “an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL.” 

That was fun while it lasted.

Now the NFL has decided to show disrespectful players the door.
 

Quote

 

Because nothing says "patriotism" quite like ordering people under penalty of a fine to stand up during the National Anthem, the taxpayer-soaking cajillionaires who run the National Football League have announced a new policy of fining any team caught having an employee sitting, kneeling, or acting disrespectfully on the field while "The Star-Spangled Banner" plays before a game.

"We want people to be respectful of the national anthem," explained NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "We want people to stand...and make sure they treat this moment in a respectful fashion. That's something we think we owe. [But] we were also very sensitive to give players choices."

 

 

That's a hell of a choice!! Stand, or else!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like both sides want to suppress free speech.

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the crowd goes wild......

nazi.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Sounds like both sides want to suppress free speech.

 

Sounds like you don't know what the fuck you are talking about, as usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

Sounds like both sides want to suppress free speech.

 

Still an idiot I see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mad said:

That's a hell of a choice!! Stand, or else!!

That's the message.

I was last interested in the NFL when Don Shula was coaching the Dolphins, but have decided I'm a Patriots fan and Vikings hater after reading one of those articles.
 

Quote

 

The new NFL season will begin Thursday night at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts, when the defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots host the Kansas City Chiefs. The season is scheduled to end on the first Sunday in February 2018 at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, the newly built home of the Minnesota Vikings, with the playing of Super Bowl 52.

The two locales are a study in contrasts for how Americans subsidize football. Gillette Stadium opened in 2002 and cost about $412 million. The $325 million stadium was built entirely with private money, financed by Patriot's owner Robert Kraft, while the state of Massachusetts kicked in about $72 million for pay for infrastructure upgrades necessary for the construction and operation of the Patriots' home.

In Minneapolis, local and state taxpayers got soaked for more than $500 million of the $1.1 billion price tag on the Vikings new home, which opened last season. Voters didn't get a referendum on whether they wanted to help team owner Zygi Wilf (estimated net worth: $5.3 billion) pay for the stadium, and the local officials who did vote on the new plan got special access to luxury box seats for all events hosted there.

Gregg Easterbook, author of The King of Sports: Football's Impact on America and a longtime critic of taxpayer subsidies for the sport, says taxpayers have covered more than 70 percent of the total cost of NFL stadiums built in the past two decades.

 

Robert Kraft can damn well afford a new stadium and I have no problem with some tax funding for infrastructure on a project like that. They're not his streets.

Zygi Wilf can also damn well afford a new stadium. They should make him work in the concession stand until he's paid off the taxpayers. Go Patriots! Vikings suck!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

That's the message.

I was last interested in the NFL when Don Shula was coaching the Dolphins, but have decided I'm a Patriots fan and Vikings hater after reading one of those articles.
 

Robert Kraft can damn well afford a new stadium and I have no problem with some tax funding for infrastructure on a project like that. They're not his streets.

Zygi Wilf can also damn well afford a new stadium. They should make him work in the concession stand until he's paid off the taxpayers. Go Patriots! Vikings suck!

The vikings truly do suck, but that has more to do with Mike Lynn than what some shitty ass gov't whores did.

 

In 1989, thinking that the Vikings were a big-time running back away from being a great team, he dealt what eventually turned into 5 players and 8 draft picks to the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for running back Herschel Walker. The three 1st round and three 2nd round picks eventually netted the Cowboys Emmitt Smith, Darren Woodson, and Russell Maryland and three Super Bowl rings. On the Vikings' side, Walker gained 148 yards rushing on 18 carries in his first game,[6] but averaged less than 81 yards a game for the other 26 games.[7]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we're still missing the mark in this discussion. The question should be why are we playing the National Anthem at a sporting event in the first place? We need to ask ourselves how this got started in the first place, and how flyovers came about, and why we let this all became commonplace. 

I think most of us know that the Pentagon paid out something like $53 million to multiple sports franchises who were happy to see a payday for something so simple and now multiple states have jumped in after the Pentagon was criticized for the practice and withdrew from paying. The problem is the teams taking money for something they should be doing for free or not at all. It is time to drop the practice; folks will not complain and let the NFL and other sports franchises sole their problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I think we're still missing the mark in this discussion. The question should be why are we playing the National Anthem at a sporting event in the first place? We need to ask ourselves how this got started in the first place, and how flyovers came about, and why we let this all became commonplace. 

I think most of us know that the Pentagon paid out something like $53 million to multiple sports franchises who were happy to see a payday for something so simple and now multiple states have jumped in after the Pentagon was criticized for the practice and withdrew from paying. The problem is the teams taking money for something they should be doing for free or not at all. It is time to drop the practice; folks will not complain and let the NFL and other sports franchises sole their problem.

Imagine being the first to make that choice.

You don't think the folks who screamed "unpatriotic!" because someone kneeled won't absolutely lose their shit if the anthem gets cut?

Sailor, please.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the players should stand during the anthem...while ripping up pictures of Trump ( or wiping their asses with the same would be a nice touch).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Imagine being the first to make that choice.

You don't think the folks who screamed "unpatriotic!" because someone kneeled won't absolutely lose their shit if the anthem gets cut?

Sailor, please.....

Good point, but I think we should have a discussion about it and ask the obvious question "What is patriotic about a football game" and hopefully people will realize that our National Anthem has nothing to do with a score and in a fashion it insults all veterans who have defended the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

That's the message.

I was last interested in the NFL when Don Shula was coaching the Dolphins, but have decided I'm a Patriots fan and Vikings hater after reading one of those articles.
 

Robert Kraft can damn well afford a new stadium and I have no problem with some tax funding for infrastructure on a project like that. They're not his streets.

Zygi Wilf can also damn well afford a new stadium. They should make him work in the concession stand until he's paid off the taxpayers. Go Patriots! Vikings suck!

The Vikings realized Minneapolis was an easy mark. The new stadium epitomizes whats wrong with current prosports - it's all about the really rich, paid for by the taxpayers, to benefit the rich, but that's life. Again, the Vikings suck, but they are no Dan Snyder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NFL will have a hard time fielding a product without any balls. Appeasing a bully just assures more bullying. Speak out, point out that the people saying that they are disrespecting the flag or the troops are full of shit, and demonstrate why. Explain exactly why they are protesting, and repeat it as often as the bullshitters repeat their bullshit. Give a bullshitter an inch and he’ll bullshit a mile. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not going to end well.  IMHO the players union needs to really step up to the owners and say FU...  Only way that is going to work is going to be a strike.  Hopefully it does not come down to that, but look for some of the big $$ players to start paying fines for the team if they have the balls...  1 game where Brady, Rogers, Rothlesberger, Breeze or Ryan step up and back theyr o line or D guys in sitting out a couple games will do wonders...  It might never happen, but still, it should.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, shaggy said:

This is not going to end well.  IMHO the players union needs to really step up to the owners and say FU...  Only way that is going to work is going to be a strike.  Hopefully it does not come down to that, but look for some of the big $$ players to start paying fines for the team if they have the balls...  1 game where Brady, Rogers, Rothlesberger, Breeze or Ryan step up and back theyr o line or D guys in sitting out a couple games will do wonders...  It might never happen, but still, it should.    

most of the players are black. clearly they have fewer rights than Real Americans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites