Snore

Are there any MEN in the NFL?

Trump has no right questioning patriotism of NFL players

In what can only be seen as a thinly veiled attempt to distract attention from the confirmation that there’s a tape of him talking about paying off a Playboy modelwith whom he allegedly had an affair, 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2018/07/20/dont-distracted-trumps-latest-criticism-nfl-players/811007002/

10 hours ago, Bent Sailor said:

Oh look, Trump needs a distraction. What better way to keep a shallow-minded electoral base from focusing on his problems than mixing racism, nationalism, and football? :rolleyes:

Bread and circuses is a political ploy of long standing.  Why do you think so many cities fight to have a team and pay handsomely. 

1 minute ago, Saorsa said:

Bread and circuses is a political ploy of long standing.  Why do you think so many cities fight to have a team and pay handsomely. 

They do that because their constituents want said teams and want them to win. Not the same thing, even if it panders to the same shallow tribalist instinct as Trump is engaging. 

This guy (son of an NFL legend) and star in his own right kneels with his black teammates.  He donated his entire salary.  I’ think we can all agree he is 100 rimes the man Snore is.

Just now, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Why do you think there are lots of cities fighting to have an NFL team? Two of the last three relocations are teams going to a big megapolis that used to have teams - LA.

Since you just asked me the same question I asked, I guess it shows you don't have a clue.

52 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

I asked you to support your opinion - since you deflect I'm going to go with the usual - you don't have a fucking clue and are regurgitating inaccurate and out of date cliches. The NFL doesn't have lots of cities fighting for franchises. The NFL is shaking down the cities that already have franchises and the local politicians are suckers.

I guess I missed putting a question mark when I said

Bread and circuses is a political ploy of long standing.  Why do you think so many cities fight to have a team and pay handsomely?

There, it's corrected.

And, OBTW, it's not just the NFL

8 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Bread and circuses is a political ploy of long standing.  Why do you think so many cities fight to have a team and pay handsomely?

There, it's corrected.

Another unsuccessful attempt to change the subject. 

In your world, Corp speech= good

personal speech= bad. As Eva Dent.

40 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

There, it's corrected.

I’d saw it’s based on limited regressive understanding of the economic value of having an NFL franchise.  The progressives in our nations second largest city did just fine with out one for a couple of decades.

Edit:

the new LA stadium will cost $4B. (Mostly public money). Who thinks there is an overall net public benefit in that spend?

Personally, I think the NFL and player's union should just cut a deal with the networks and not show kneeling players during the anthem.  This isn't that hard.

Players can then do whatever they want.  They can post to instagram or whatever social media they use to keep in touch with their fans to express their personal opinions. 

The league can do the 'don't ask, don't tell' thing' or whatever to 'protect their brand'.

And Colin Kapernick should hang out with Merrick Garland.  They both got gangsta-ed by the establishment.

10 hours ago, cmilliken said:

Personally, I think the NFL and player's union should just cut a deal with the networks and not show kneeling players during the anthem.  This isn't that hard.

Can't see why the players union or networks would agree to that. Right now they are not suffering any backlash or pressure to do something and doing anything as explicit as that makes them a target. 

A little disturbing though that the suggested "solution" isn't to remove nationalism from sports presentations but instead to censor footage to keep the nationalism pure. 

Players can then do whatever they want.  They can post to instagram or whatever social media they use to keep in touch with their fans to express their personal opinions. 

Did you notice how it wasn't the network coverage that made this an issue again, but Trump making it one by using his social media outlet to use their kneeling as a distraction from his other political woes? 

The issue that the nationalists have isn't about network coverage of the act. It's that the players are doing it at all. Trump and those like him won't be mollified by it being on the players' social media instead of the TV... and the networks show they're ready to censor footage to please populist politicians. What next? Refusing to show Tebow-esque shows of religious gratitude? Equal air time for black and white athletes? There is not upside here. 

And Colin Kapernick should hang out with Merrick Garland.  They both got gangsta-ed by the establishment.

I don't see them as that similar. Garland wasn't vilified, Kapernick has been. 

6 hours ago, Bent Sailor said:

Did you notice how it wasn't the network coverage that made this an issue again, but Trump making it one by using his social media outlet to use their kneeling as a distraction from his other political woes? 

salient point that has escaped many ................. :(

Completely agree -

An open letter to the NFL's owners

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jul/31/kareem-open-letter-nfl-ownersp

Excerpt -

In May, you implemented a childish policyabout how grown men must respond to the national anthem: a player can stay in the locker room during the anthem, but if he takes the field and then protests, the team and the player can be fined. Oh, Dear Owners. You stood at the precipice of history tasked with deciding whether to choose the principles of the US Constitution over profits of commerce, patriotism over pandering, morality over mob mentality, promoting social justice over pushing beers. Sadly, you blinked. Courage, it seems, is expected only of players.

It seems to me this whole dust-up misses the point.The obvious solution is simply not to play the National Anthem at silly mass entertainment sports diversions such as football games and stock car races in order to confer an importance upon them which they do not deserve in the first place. When did observing the spectacle of a bunch of over- grown millionaires running into each other become a patriotic act ? And playing the Anthem at a stock car race? OH,  PU-LEESE. This "sport" grew out of "them good ole boys who soup-ed up their old cars so they could run moonshine and out run the po-lice". The National Anthem, If it's meant to instill a sense of patriotic duty should be reserved for solemn occasions as for example- when soldiers are shipping off to war or presidential inaugurations--or events that have actual National Importance. Playing the Anthem at every table tennis championship and junior tiddly-winks contest does not make you a patriot-- it only cheapens it. Please, people, this is our NATIONAL Anthem. Lets reserve our anthem for occasions of NATIONAL import.  And no matter how big a football fan you may be, remember, it really does'nt matter a FUCK who wins the superbowl ! It's a GAME for Christsakes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, edward mason said:

It seems to me this whole dust-up misses the point.The obvious solution is simply not to play the National Anthem at silly mass entertainment sports diversions such as football games and stock car races in order to confer an importance upon them which they do not deserve in the first place. When did observing the spectacle of a bunch of over- grown millionaires running into each other become a patriotic act ? And playing the Anthem at a stock car race? OH,  PU-LEESE. This "sport" grew out of "them good ole boys who soup-ed up their old cars so they could run moonshine and out run the po-lice". The National Anthem, If it's meant to instill a sense of patriotic duty should be reserved for solemn occasions as for example- when soldiers are shipping off to war or presidential inaugurations--or events that have actual National Importance. Playing the Anthem at every table tennis championship and junior tiddly-winks contest does not make you a patriot-- it only cheapens it. Please, people, this is our NATIONAL Anthem. Lets reserve our anthem for occasions of NATIONAL import.  And no matter how big a football fan you may be, remember, it really does'nt matter a FUCK who wins the superbowl ! It's a GAME for Christsakes.

I believe it was to outrun the federal "revenuers".  But, I agree with your post.

7 hours ago, Gone Drinking said:

image.png.cd461a9f2dbaf76a083821babd778193.png

Now just imagine if the head of the US Government was calling players to abstain from free speech and not a corporation?  Would that violate the 1st amendment?

On 8/11/2018 at 10:55 AM, Gone Drinking said:

image.png.cd461a9f2dbaf76a083821babd778193.png

Nice— to summarize- remembering the day American civilians were slaughtered ina surprise attack bad not standing for the National Anthem good.   

Any question why I continue to abstain from the NFL?

14 minutes ago, Snore said:

Nice— to summarize- remembering the day American civilians were slaughtered ina surprise attack bad not standing for the National Anthem good.   

Any question why I continue to abstain from the NFL?

Snore, are you confusing 8 with 9?  8/11 doesn't ring any bells.  

10 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

Jerry Jones refused to remove his hat during the anthem!  HE HATES AMERICA!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2018/08/13/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-no-comment-national-anthem/975006002/

#MAGA!  Take his franchise away.  A likely Trump quote.

Fire him

Lock him up

a Trump tweet

GOP official resigns after calling kneeling NFL players ‘baboons’

https://nypost.com/2018/09/02/gop-official-resigns-after-calling-kneeling-nfl-players-baboons/

“Tired of these overpaid ignorant blacks telling me what I should believe in. I will tell you what I believe in and that is our Flag the National Anthem and America period end of story,” wrote Carla Maloney, the ex-Republican Committee of Beaver County’s secretary, on Facebook under the name Carla Belich Fueller, local outlet The Beaver Countian reported.

“You don’t like it here go to Africa see how you like it there. We are all Americans not African American not Hispanic American. WE ARE ALL AMERICAN,” she added.

The racist posts were made before Maloney was named secretary earlier this year, Chip Kohser, chairman of the RCBC told the Beaver County Times.

Most of the comments were made after many of the Pittsburgh Steelers stayed in their locker room for the anthem before their game on Sept. 24, 2017, Kohser added.

“Steelers are now just as bad as the rest of the overpaid baboons… How many men and women have lost limbs or died to protect this country and you baboons want respect,” she wrote in one post. “Let’s see how the baboons get paid when white people stop paying their salaries.”

In other posts, she complained about “reverse racism” in America and predicted another civil war would break out “soon than later.”

In a letter sent Friday, Maloney resigned as both secretary and as an elected member of the committee, and apologized for her “distasteful, inappropriate and insensitive social media posts.”

Some team needs to hire Kaepernick.

20 minutes ago, Sean said:

Some team needs to hire Kaepernick.

Kaep needs to be hired as a $10M spokesman for the NFL, and go to Canton 

• Like 1