• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
GunkHoler

What is this masty little beamer?

What is this little tubber? Doubled forestays, outboard chainplates, actual scuppers, all in an apparently sub-30-foot package?

IMG_20170925_184925-2016x1512.jpg

A solid very well made boat with lots of blue water capability. A friend has one and I was surprised to find a very workable interior with standing headroom and an enclosed head.

Great boats. They won't get you there quickly but they will get you there. Not for everyone for many reasons but if you don't need the waterline length and appreciate quality of design and construction and are willing to pay for it, you can't go wrong. Even if you change your mind later, they hold their value well and have a well-deserved following.

" For example, PSC use only tinned copper wire for their boats. This is much better and slows down corrosion yet as far as I know, not one European manufacturer uses it. "

Huh?
You've got to be kidding me! Wire that is not tinned has no business on a boat--ever. Period. This is not a special thing.
Then again I believe it -- every time I go to a boat show I find really really bad stuff.

Plenty of boats use untinned wire -- especially euroboats from what I've heard.  And while you will find some people defending the practice, I agree with you -- tinned wire holds up much better in salty conditions.

2 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Nice boat until you want to go to weather.

I'd really like to see a sleeper version modeled on the Nightrunner plan.

I edited the original post to add, "I think I'm in love," but it didn't make it in for some reason. But I'm glad my admiration has apparently come through.

Interesting to hear about their ability to point. It certainly looked that way to me, dockside.

Having grown up bashing back and forth across the Straits of Juan de Fuca, a weatherly boat, especially a small one, tugs at my Heartstrings much more than a racer. And when I saw this one, I thought, boy, that boat sure looks like it could go anywhere, and pretty comfortably too.

Bob or others with smarts, any thoughts on how the design compares to my other dream girl, a similarly sized Cape Dory?

Cape Dory 27 draws 4'. Not sure what the PSC draws but I'm pretty sure it's less. I think performance on the wind is very important. I'd go with the boat with the deeper draft. The PSC is cute but cute won't get you there.

1 hour ago, GunkHoler said:

I edited the original post to add, "I think I'm in love," but it didn't make it in for some reason. But I'm glad my admiration has apparently come through.

Interesting to hear about their ability to point. It certainly looked that way to me, dockside.

Having grown up bashing back and forth across the Straits of Juan de Fuca, a weatherly boat, especially a small one, tugs at my Heartstrings much more than a racer. And when I saw this one, I thought, boy, that boat sure looks like it could go anywhere, and pretty comfortably too.

Bob or others with smarts, any thoughts on how the design compares to my other dream girl, a similarly sized Cape Dory?

There was a nice 24 for sale in Friday Harbour.

Or, if you wanted a boat that points well there was also a nice Tartan 30 for sale in Port Townsend but it sold in a weekend.

1 hour ago, Bob Perry said:

Cape Dory 27 draws 4'. Not sure what the PSC draws but I'm pretty sure it's less. 3.8'

21 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

Or, if you wanted a boat that points well there was also a nice Tartan 30 for sale in Port Townsend but it sold in a weekend.

I saw that Tartan 30 on one of my weekly craigslist trawl-o-thons, I think. I can't let it get any more frequent than that, though. I've already got a boat, and a trade-up isn't in our future for a while yet. For now I'm just trying to keep an eye out for neat designs. I've picked up some decent sailing skill, and certainly a bit of experience doing maintenance work(!), but knowledge of the broader world of boat design and how to compare boats is definitely a weak spot for me.

1 hour ago, olaf hart said:

A couple Danas have sold in Friday Harbor over the last few years.  There's currently one for sale there now, and it's in decent shape.  Name is "Rain Dog".  Here's a link to the for sale posting in the Yahoo Dana 24 group (it's for sale by owner).  Not sure if you need to be a group member to see the ad.

3 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

My friend asked me what he could do to the boat to make it go to weather better. I couldn't think of anything. He had over $150,000 into the boat.

Jack up the Windex and slide a Luca 30 underneath ?

I'll tell you the story. Part One anyway.

I was walking down the dock at Shilshole on the way to my boat. I saw this cute little boat at the dock with about every piece of gear on board known to man. A guy was on his knees on the dock working on something. As I walked by I said, "Someone's been reading CRUISING WORLD too long." I kept walking. Then I heard, "I know that voice! Bob Perry." I turned around and it was Rich, an ex Valiant 40 owner who I had not seen in many years. The little PSC was his boat. He was very proud of how he had outfitted the little boat. He had refrigeration, forced air heat, windlass and chain rode (another story) scuba dive compressor and much more. The poor little boat hadn't seen it's bootstripe in two years.

He sailed his PSC up to the shack a couple of times. I fed him. I listened to his stories, "There I was alone,,,it was blowing a full gale,,,,," I watched him try to grab my mooring ball one afternoon. It was epic. But to give him credit, it was gusting to 12 knots. In his mind he was Robin Knox Chichester.

Last time I saw him he was buzzing the beach in his Lakes Amphibian aeroplane. I think that's what it's called. Weird plane with the engine on a "pilon" strut kind of thing behind the cabin. He did all sorts of weird shit in the air over the shack. My neighbors went berzerkers.

The really odd thing is that Panope also knows this guy.

13 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

There I was alone,,,it was blowing a full gale,,,,," I watched him try to grab my mooring ball one afternoon. It was epic. But to give him credit, it was gusting to 12 knots. In his mind he was Robin Knox Chichester.

There but for the grace of God go I.

10 hours ago, fastyacht said:

" For example, PSC use only tinned copper wire for their boats. This is much better and slows down corrosion yet as far as I know, not one European manufacturer uses it. "

Huh?
You've got to be kidding me! Wire that is not tinned has no business on a boat--ever. Period. This is not a special thing.
Then again I believe it -- every time I go to a boat show I find really really bad stuff

One of the most odd things I saw in my pleasure boat hietis from commercial work was a new trawler from the Far East with all black conductors.  Not a  class spec like DNV or ABS wire black with multi color conductors, but everything was black single conductors, AC DC etc.  

11 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Huh?
Then again I believe it -- every time I go to a boat show I find really really bad stuff.

We have untinned wire. 35 years old. The ship was wired by Palmer Johnson.  

We still have untinned wire in some places. Other places, it has turned to green slime or worse, it has vanished. Best practices in 1984 are not quite the same as now.

5 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

I'll tell you the story. Part One anyway.

I was walking down the dock at Shilshole on the way to my boat. I saw this cute little boat at the dock with about every piece of gear on board known to man. A guy was on his knees on the dock working on something. As I walked by I said, "Someone's been reading CRUISING WORLD too long." I kept walking. Then I heard, "I know that voice! Bob Perry." I turned around and it was Rich, an ex Valiant 40 owner who I had not seen in many years. The little PSC was his boat. He was very proud of how he had outfitted the little boat. He had refrigeration, forced air heat, windlass and chain rode (another story) scuba dive compressor and much more. The poor little boat hadn't seen it's bootstripe in two years.

He sailed his PSC up to the shack a couple of times. I fed him. I listened to his stories, "There I was alone,,,it was blowing a full gale,,,,," I watched him try to grab my mooring ball one afternoon. It was epic. But to give him credit, it was gusting to 12 knots. In his mind he was Robin Knox Chichester.

Last time I saw him he was buzzing the beach in his Lakes Amphibian aeroplane. I think that's what it's called. Weird plane with the engine on a "pilon" strut kind of thing behind the cabin. He did all sorts of weird shit in the air over the shack. My neighbors went berzerkers.

The really odd thing is that Panope also knows this guy.

Yep, I know the guy.  He was my aviation medical examiner for many years.  He did not do any actual doctoring on me (or anyone else, afaik) as his gig is just the pilot medical thing. 

He's quite the character as he often conducted the examinations with a parrot on his shoulder, while telling lengthy accounts of his adventures.  Come to think of it, he never showed any interest in mine.

Steve

49 minutes ago, Bryanjb said:

We have untinned wire. 35 years old. The ship was wired by Palmer Johnson.  

Almost no builder gets it right every time.

Then again if fresh water you can get away with this.
How big is the boat? Climate controlled?

There are some places on the southeastern US coast or in the Bahamas where that PSC will go to windward much faster than the Luca. Not as big a problem in the PNW. 

5 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Almost no builder gets it right every time.

Then again if fresh water you can get away with this.
How big is the boat? Climate controlled?

I think Bryanjb has Gemini's big sister Joli - a C&C Custom 61. But she lives on the Great Lakes, so "check!" on the freshwater question.

I make sure not to let Gemini see any photos of Joli. Can't let her get jealous.

But looking at dates... Joli must have been re-wired by PJ in 1982... but she was built in 1974... must be a story there somewhere!

That article makes Tom Scott's love affair with "Whimsy" look rather casual.