• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
DtM

Mini Transat 2017

6 hours ago, Knut Grotzki said:

I can do this as well

safran-3.jpg

Wow, what a great shot.  The foil looks big enough for the boat to trip over in the right conditions though.  And the outrigger brace going through the hull side (underwater on the lee) looks like trouble and drag to me.

1 hour ago, random said:

Wow, what a great shot.  The foil looks big enough for the boat to trip over in the right conditions though.  And the outrigger brace going through the hull side (underwater on the lee) looks like trouble and drag to me.

Firstly, that is an IMOCA 60 so not sure why it is showing here.

More to the point of your post, the deck spreader stay is actually quite high off the water line, so even when heeled it is only drag when you are overpowered.

5 minutes ago, Potter said:

More to the point of your post, the deck spreader stay is actually quite high off the water line,

The black bracing line ... through the hull

So what's the odds? Who is the favorite this time around. How fast is ARKEMA? They would need some good publicity after their Texas disaster

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

This would have been a more appropriate man-on-foil pic to post.

mini-6-50-arkema-3-foil-2-1024x576.jpg

...and we all thought it was the leward foil that produced righting moment!

What with 81 boats this year I could find no easily understandable list of boats and skippers. The Mini web site has a "Les Skippers" page and it does show the information but you can only fit 6 at a time on one pc screen display!

For anyone like me who wants to be able quickly to see who is sailing which number boat you need a simple spreadsheet list, so I have sorted one out and attach a copy for anyone who wants it.

Mini Transat 2017_1.xlsx

3 hours ago, serioladumerili said:

FRA - 53 ITA - 6 ESP - 6 GER - 4 SUI - 4 CRO - 2 BEL - 1 CZE - 1 IRL - 1 NED - 1 ROM - 1 THA - 1

no sailors from GBR and USA

Wow, not even a single Brit, strange !

Dont know where you got that one from Fiji, but I am in La Rochelle and I see the attached on my screen just after 11 am local French time, so start time here is 16.00. Boats are towed out of the Bassin Chalutier starting at 13.15 local time.

Start Time.jpg

Just now, serioladumerili said:

is there any live coverage?

Website  http://www.minitransat.fr/en/news/follow-start-practical-information  says:

"Live broadcast on the website www.minitransat.fr   "   ???

and also:

""Follow the start on the social networks

The departure from the pontoon and the race start can be followed via the Mini Transat La Boulangère’s social networks
Twitter: @MiniTransat2017

Facebook: Mini Transat La Boulangère

Instagram: minitransatlaboulangere ""

Just now, Fiji said:

WTF, start at 6 am ?59d0435b9c113_startmini-transat.thumb.jpg.d58b989ffc40c69ce6fbcafb7523c73e.jpg

WTF indeed !

Changed my computer time and voila, the time is shown correctly...

So anyone not on GMT +2 will get the wrong message, French web developers... LOL

6 minutes ago, yl75 said:

So is Arkema in fact the only boat with foil on this edition ?

Yes I think so. Watched them all leave the basin and listened to the commentary. I took a photo of each (all 81 I think!) so can look closely and/or post a photo of any boat you are interested in if you have the number, boat name or skipper.

51 minutes ago, yl75 said:

So is Arkema in fact the only boat with foil on this edition ?

No. Simon Koster is sailing in proto class as well - #888. Foil, T rudders and kanting keel. 

Edit: he may have abandoned that configuration. 

44 minutes ago, staysail said:

Yes I think so. Watched them all leave the basin and listened to the commentary. I took a photo of each (all 81 I think!) so can look closely and/or post a photo of any boat you are interested in if you have the number, boat name or skipper.

Thanks for that, I guess next edition will be all foils for the protos

Erwan le Mene on ROUSSEAU CLOTURES is leading beating againt the wind - the hullform with moderate angles helps.

800.jpg

Anyone know if the MiniTransat rules now allow skippers to access the web freely or shore-based help, for weather info and weather routing advice? The weather patterns in the Bay of Biscay look really complex between now and wednesday and weather routing tomorrow could be the deciding factor for this leg.

E‐21‐d‐1 Any request for assistance at sea to third parties (cargoships, support boats….), other than medical, is forbidden.

However, competitors are allowed to ask for weather reports, except to the support boats.

E‐21‐d‐2 Radio assistance between competitors regarding the following points is allowed: ‐ Weather information communication ‐ Weather synopsis analisis ‐ Medical assistance ‐ Psychologic assistance ‐ Technical assistance ‐ Communication of the positions. 

No phone, no pc allowed onboard, vhf, little radio and that is it. oh and top of luxury, battery operated barometer is allowed.

it is still early, in proto class, between 1 placed and 23, now 18 miles difference, that is more then one proto mini a mile :),

and around 40 series in that mix too.

For the time, being North seems to pay. It's a shame for Arkema  3, he looks to be late to tack like many and we might not see a speed test between him and the fat nose boats. If the front doesn't move fast I suspect that there will be a big gap between Southerners and Northeners.

So easy to see that from the comfort of my home office with access to grib data, they probably are doing a lot of what ifs in their heads.

The first three days the pretty weather reports and planning still plays a role. By Tuesday it changes how the fleet responds. 

3 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Top man! Where are you? Are you doing it all yourself?

CPH...copenhagen/DK...denmark.

yes pretty much all by myself (many thx 2 "MASTER C" the educated boatbuilder & B. 4 the raspberry pi)  

8 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Good luck... feel free to start a "rebuild thread" for us mere mortals.

Yeah, please do - and what's a rasp pi got to do with your build?

18 minutes ago, Slim said:

Yeah, please do - and what's a rasp pi got to do with your build?

1. "rebuild thread" in plans ... as a blog

2. "rasp pi" ... electronics hAck

NOW back 2 the race ... 

GO FINOT!!! PROTO 667 & POGO 518

So that little 7 mile port tack early turned into a 4 mile lead pretty quickly by getting inside the lift for Erwan and Ian.  But the big payoff is coming next when they get +10 knots and a 30 degree lift in the next few hours...blastoff!  

How many foiling boats in this race? Who are the bigger names on the foilers also? Sorry for my ignorance, haven't been following the build up. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

How many foiling boats in this race? Who are the bigger names on the foilers also? Sorry for my ignorance, haven't been following the build up. :rolleyes:

Only Arkema to the best of my knowledge. 888 was originally built with foils, although constrained by old rules, but sailing with classic boards this race.

There were a few Protos in past years that were experimenting with T Rudders for pulling the stern down (like i14s) rather than overall lift.

HW

The women seems to be doing well. Clarisse Crémer 3rd in serie and Charlotte Méry 8th in proto

Zigzag - Costly Adventures - when you get sleepy and don´t notice a windshift (or have no instruments to assist). Have a closer look at the tracks.The big light blue one - Ian Lipinski of Griffon. Early to tack north, then a short "Crazy Ivan" until he realized the wind would shift anticlockwise. Lucky guy - otherwise he would have been doomed. When his track crossed the rhumbline he was late again to tack.Tacking takes until you have shifted everything to the new windward side ...

mini.JPG.5d89a519de9df76fb01d8d3e56cb1339.JPG

Finally it looks like the wind will fill from behind. Good news for those who didn't get the timing of the tack right. They will go dead downwind, that's bad news for Arkema who needs reaching conditions.

Go Lombard, in other words Le Mene, boat nr 800. Old style design.

It normallygets funny after Finesterre, who gets there first is normal golden, but sometimes the leader thinks he is mid fleet or worse :)

But now they have AIS and I do not know how that influences that.

Good article from Lizzy about food, tactics, weather etc

http://no-frills-sailing.com/minitransat-solo-sailing-with-skipper-lizzy-foreman/

Ah, finally 9pm with the updated tracker. What we have now is two groups. South leader is orange Keni Piperol on Proto 8th with the Northern Group of green Erwan Le Mene Proto1st and blue Ian Lipinski Proto 2nd and a tiny bit to the northeast Jörg Riechers (Go! Go! Go!) the German favorit as Proto 3rd. Will it pay out for southern Keni?

Unbenannt.JPG.fe9aa56e3114a18b82490dd42a56ba59.JPG

I know many people appreciated my daily update with forecast weather last edition which unfortunately died at the Canary as I got swamped by a project. I know I sound like Clean with his many podcast promises that never appear but I will try and do the Canary to the finish this time around along the same lines. Go the Minis..Cheers

The front runners managed to make a bit of a break. It's quite fair considering that they got their tacks right in the bay of Biscay but Ian Lipinski will be really hard to catch up now.

Yep, and Simon Koster and a few others (but a bit less so) had their personal windline around Finesterre, almost double the speed of others just a few miles apart.

ps, do not forget the statistics page in the tracker, hit the menu icon top rightish

It's gonna get real interesting in the 2-4 day timeframe from now.  The leaders will be tempted to stay with the pressure as it continues to build in the west and a big hole develops on the rhumbline.  Like 200 miles of line at less than 5 knots windspeed.  Getting across the hole to the left side of the course seems required as the hole slowly moves offshore.  If the leaders get stuck banging the corner to the right, whoever gets across the hole and picks up the new pressure to the left could pass the whole pack.  

Erwan jibed, off 30 degrees and is bleeding miles to Ian, but I like his strategy.  If the forecast holds, he'll be able to sneak across the hole in 36-48 hrs.

Good to see Pavel Roubal doing well, and too bad Milan Koláček has different plans at the moment, would have been good to see him in the mix

Man, Lipinsky already doing 250 miles in 24 hrs, damn he is good.

RFinn, last 4 hrs even 12 knots VMG, that dude rocks. He must be and a good sailor and have the physical and mental package to suffer like hell and keep pushing, something I lack, so full admiration.( I like my sleep to much :) to be ever good in it)

Looking at the pictures of the boats leaving earlier in this thread it looks like Lipinski's rig on 865 is bigger than the others? Could be helping in the downwind stuff

3 hours ago, LeoV said:

Man, Lipinsky already doing 250 miles in 24 hrs, damn he is good.

RFinn, last 4 hrs even 12 knots VMG, that dude rocks. He must be and a good sailor and have the physical and mental package to suffer like hell and keep pushing, something I lack, so full admiration.( I like my sleep to much :) to be ever good in it)

He's got miles ... https://www.classemini.com/?mode=skippers&id_skipper=634

GO FINOT!!!

Yep experience counts.

Two dismastings:

This one is good for forum discussions, as we do not have all the information but can wonder why.

Do I see two reefs in the main, and a furled code 5 at the moment of dismasting ?

832_dacmatac.jpg?itok=Wo1D59IY

10 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Erwan jibed, off 30 degrees and is bleeding miles to Ian, but I like his strategy.  If the forecast holds, he'll be able to sneak across the hole in 36-48 hrs.

More ideas Kenny, I like how the leaders split, Erwan starts to look lonely.

Erwan will feel the light winds coming up and jibe, but so will Ian. So converging again ?

The statistics page with 4 hr speeds tells a lot, nice you can compare sailors.

Must be really tempting to hide a phone for the weather forecasts ...

I guess when passing cape finistere they can get some 3g

But it looks like Erwan is really going to get stuck in the wind hole.

Phone,its tempting,  if they find it, lifelong ban FFV.

And the class is full of weird stories, so many know everything will get out in the open.

Like the guy in the past,who hoisted his liferaft outboard, so now everything is sealed.

He too thought he would never be caught.

Serio, who ? Remi ? nothing strange to see.

One guy airlifted, do not know reason.

Qute, racesite:

Luca Sabiu (Vivere la Vela). Beset by recurring technical issues since the start, the Italian sailor set off his distress beacon last night and has been airlifted by helicopter to La Coruña by the Spanish Navy.

14 hours ago, LeoV said:

Phone,its tempting,  if they find it, lifelong ban FFV.

And the class is full of weird stories, so many know everything will get out in the open.

Like the guy in the past,who hoisted his liferaft outboard, so now everything is sealed.

He too thought he would never be caught.

Serio, who ? Remi ? nothing strange to see.

One guy airlifted, do not know reason.

Qute, racesite:

Luca Sabiu (Vivere la Vela). Beset by recurring technical issues since the start, the Italian sailor set off his distress beacon last night and has been airlifted by helicopter to La Coruña by the Spanish Navy.

As a fellow dutchman: Do you follow Sander van Doorn (series 886). He is falling behind at the moment.
Yesterday position 16, now 51? What happened?

And sorry to hear Luca has broken two ribs, Must be painfull.
Good for him he is airlifted. But what happened to his boat?
Put on a barch by sea rescue? Or abandoned?

Pogo 3 is a verdier design, not finot

(and most probably one guy within verdier team more than verdier)

But then Verdier started with Finot :)

21 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Pogo 3 is a verdier design, not finot

(and most probably one guy within verdier team more than verdier)

But then Verdier started with Finot :)

Hervé Penfornis did a lot of the actual work on the Pogo 3 and has his own design firm. A lot of the independent firms collaborate with a primary firm getting the contract and then parsing out the work. 

Are the half of the field stuck in that huge hole truly without wind information and forecasts? So they don't know which way to go? Makes Ian Lipinski and Arthur Leger appear either incredibly foresightful or very lucky.

I guess it shows that they really don't have forecast info.  Otherwise there wouldn't be anyone on stbd right now.  It seems that the stbd jibe guys have a knot or two better speed than port, maybe due to sea state?  So most are just staying on the favored jibe, while anyone in the back of the fleet could put it on port until the pressure builds and make great gains.  Imagine the discussions after the leg ends and everyone looks at their tracks vs wind record and they figure out what happened.

Based on results from http://histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire des Minis/709.htm , Leger is punching a bit above his weight and it's awesome.  I don't know his back story, but he's been sailing that boat since 2008, which was a really successful generation of Lombard design.  Time with the boat is really valuable for these long races and it's showing here.  Great to see. 

Leger, very interesting guy, thanks for pointing to him.

http://elixir-aircraft.com/en/company

Lombards have been succesfull since years, curious to see if he gets into the scow mode.

I think he is the top designer with wins from the latest decades, I kept the score in the past but if memory serves right I am talking the truth.

And he Leger lives in La Rochelle, nothing easier then to step into Lombards office for a talk.

PS I did built an aeroplane (experimental) and fly in that aeroplane in the past and boats, so can relate to the feelings. Its a nifty plane design he works on.

Sad to see the Arkema proto so far back in the fleet. Not sure, but looking at the tracker it seems to be more sailor than boat responsible for the ranking. Hopefully Quentin will have a better showing in the trades on leg 2, he must be feeling quite a lot of pressure to perform as the program behind him has to be one of the largest in the fleet.