• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
DtM

Mini Transat 2017

Scows in the top 16, with the original (Raison's) leading.

1 - 865 - Lipinski

4 - 888 - Koster

9 - 934 - Riechers

16 - 900 - Vlamynck

Lipinski a bit faster (7.3) than #2 (6.2) but slower than the rest of the fleet ~100nm behind.

HW

22 minutes ago, schakel488 said:

Only two abandonments. Says something about the quality of these boats.

Or the conditions 

Latest weather forecast they can receive says go west ...curious who will follow this as it leads to more miles but avoiding the low SouthEast of Madeira.

The last 200nm are going to be very tricky.  Anyones guess who pulls this out.   709 has pulled away to a 13nm lead over Ian on 865.  Speed is 3.2 and 2.7 respectively :(

I am pleased to say that next edition there will be an American in the MiniTransat with a new foiling boat designed by nun other then Guillaume Verdier!

CoconutsYouTube-2.jpg

wow to Three pieces of news   1  Ian has been headed   .well sailed Arthur

2  an american sailing next issue

3  and sailing a Verdier  Foiler

Sorry That should be an American

But Jorg    Keni    and Andrea  all moving well

But would be great to see Clarisse get to the head of Series

I hoped Bolzinger kept going West.

Clarisse in the lead again in production, but placed 4th overall, that is special.

I guess they will arive truly exhausted, this weather much more tiring than strong winds ...

(plus the wind direction must be changing a lot)

11 hours ago, Coconuts.is said:

I am pleased to say that next edition there will be an American in the MiniTransat with a new foiling boat designed by nun other then Guillaume Verdier!

CoconutsYouTube-2.jpg

Wowie, Keep us informed please.
You know that you end up between the french if you are good.

Really hard for the skippers now. They feel close to the line but really have to stay alert all the time to get even the slightest changes in wind to not loose terrain. 

Go 824! :)

That ketch does this guiding for so long as I can remember, between doing its own racing.

Sometimes there is place on one of the boats as a paying guest, nice way to do a crossing.

Parking on Main Street - 4 kts sboxes. What a pity that Arkema can not show its full potential. Just think about that you would have decided to pass Funchal to port. The additional miles would have been a good investment. Anyway - looks as if the rich get richer.

Parking.JPG.5d5c94d431189e61e849cce1486033e9.JPG

2 hours ago, FRA252 said:

GO FINOT!!!

On the very left of this picture it looks to me like Jean-Luc Van Den Heede's boat.

And right behind it another skinny beauty. Anyone knows who is she?

(I like them skinny!)

It looks as if Ian is a little better placed to the right but it is going to come down to the wire for sure.  In twelve hours or so the wind strengthens slightly.

WOW  THE LUCK OF THE WIND    it will be what it is when the time comes

the result will then follow

In order to follow the finish in Las Palmas (and I know it's a stop-over) I tried to find a webcam of the harbour.
This is the closest that I came to thanks to google.
https://nl.webcams.travel/webcam/fullscreen/1429130108
You can't see boat arriving. It's a beach cam.
Anyone has a better address?
https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/espana/canarias/las-palmas-gran-canaria/playa-las-canteras.html
The last one has better quality but still a beachcam.
59dc93d808258_LasPalmaswebcam.PNG.af70cc5f52bd629f9ecac500fafc1dab.PNG

All I can say is, I hope they are all staying hydrated because you know some of those boats dumped drinking water early in the race.  

25 minutes ago, r.finn said:

All I can say is, I hope they are all staying hydrated because you know some of those boats dumped drinking water early in the race.  

Why would they do that? The Mini class rules says that the drinking water reserves are each skipper's responsibility. The rule if anything sets a max volume for each race. And the emergency water, like the emergency bucket is sealed. 

Generally the water dumping comes in the last couple of days when they're certain they're not going to be in trouble and want to change pace. 

Clarisse may be 10th, but she's rolling the fleet right now at VMG 5.9, a knot better than the next.  Very committed to the rhumb line it seems.

Go Clarisse!!

miffy, they have a minimum amount of water on board plus the sealed reserve, some dump a part of their normal amount. Opening the reserve cost a dear penalty, and I bet it will be checked on.

There's no minimum requirement in the normal water. Skippers can bring as little as they want. Rule focuses on volume limit for containers to prevent water ballasting. 

The rules are not a secret.

DRINKING RESERVES

Drinking reserves volume is every skipper’s own responsibility. 3 litres/100NM per person seems reasonable.

The volume of authorized containers must not exceed 4 litres per 100 NM per person, rounded up to the next multiple of 20.

Means to decant water, that can be used on each drinking water container, shall be provided.

When there are several legs with different lengths, the excess containers necessary for the longest leg must be loaded empty and sealed for the other legs. 

Which is why I'm puzzled by suggestions that the skippers dump water. The only practice I've ever heard of was using empty containers to fill with seawater as extra ballast. 

Never seen anyone dump fresh water they chose to bring along. 

Breeze filling in from the east over the next day should get at least the leading boats home before it shuts down again in a few days.  I'll bet they'll all be happy to finish the drift-fest.

Damn, they keep tweaking the rules, Buck is right. Own responsibility, but I think if you show only 10 litres you will not be allowed to start :) There is something as common sense.

Leger sailed into a large and persistent hole yesterday allowing Ian to make up his 20 mile deficit.  He now leads by one mile and they are both going roughly the same speed now.  It should make for an intense finish.  I'm still pulling for Leger.    In the series class the top four boats are 3,4,5,6 overall.  You see if often, but I never really understood why series class could be so fast in conditions against protos.  They are heavier, have shorter masts/booms/bowsprits, so I wouldn't expect them to shine in this drift fest.  The only advantages I can see for them is they are simpler allowing skippers to spend more time with their heads out of the boat, they possibly spend less time in the shop which allows more time on the water and I also think there's a one design factor.  I could be totally wrong of course, but trying to put my finger on it.  Either way, it's impressive.

Lipinski and Leger both showing 8.2 miles from the finish!  Leger: 6.8 knots, Lipinski: 4.8 knots.  According to the wind app on the map, Leger has a much better wind angle.  It's possible Ian may have to gybe to make the finish which would be really bad for him.  Nail biter.

Less than 2 min difference... nice finish

Gautier will probably come in third, very nice result being in front of all these protos. 

Go 824!

Nice finish...

RFinn, the design factor is there too, every proto is designed for higher top speed, so less rocker, so more wetted area, so more hull drag.

That shows in the light. You hate it as proto sailor...

Most protos tend to be designed to maximize gains in the next leg sailing in the trades. Even with the proto benefits, the boat is still sailed by a sailor w/ limited weather data. Hard to maximize proto gains when you're not able to find steady conditions that maximize your VMG benefits.

On the Water Topic:

Erwan Le mené on a facebook live of its arrival just asking the others skippers:

"No one was thirsty?

Nobody threw away his water and ended up with nothing?

I was really without anything: no more food, no fuel, no more cigarettes ... Hey good! Give me one of yours ...

Yesterday in the becalm I would have sold my boat for a cigarette!"

On 10/10/2017 at 5:19 PM, Buck Turgidson said:

The rules are not a secret.

DRINKING RESERVES

Drinking reserves volume is every skipper’s own responsibility. 3 litres/100NM per person seems reasonable.

The volume of authorized containers must not exceed 4 litres per 100 NM per person, rounded up to the next multiple of 20.

Means to decant water, that can be used on each drinking water container, shall be provided.

When there are several legs with different lengths, the excess containers necessary for the longest leg must be loaded empty and sealed for the other legs. 

Also includes 

E-18-b-1 Containers' contents and seals (if any) can be checked at any time from 24 hours before the start and after crossing the finish line, until notified as cleared by the measurer.

Although RRS 51 doesn't apply, the "seals" aspect in terms of emergency water, liferaft, grab bag etc. is in reference to their caps and tie-down points. Can't stack them. So any weight you bring in emergency is with you 'till the end.

HW

9 hours ago, DtM said:

I believe it is 1 November.

That's two weeks away. What are the skippers doing in the mean time?
Vacation, training, flying home?

Barbeque on the beach, petanque?
Meetings?

Cool video from the coconuts ! :

Skippers interviews before the start, (most of them in French).

Are there no watermakers/desalinators in use on the mini's? I Guess they would be lighter even with the added solar panels.

Check the rules, but I think you are allowed hand action pump water maker. Not many will carry one.

1 hour ago, Boy Griffioen said:

Are there no watermakers/desalinators in use on the mini's? I Guess they would be lighter even with the added solar panels.

17 minutes ago, toolbar said:

I think the water makers will not work properly, once the boat start to plane. 

Paul 

24 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Check the rules, but I think you are allowed hand action pump water maker. Not many will carry one.

Watermakers run counter to the fundamental spirit of mini 6.5 class and are not allowed. Either pack it or don't drink. Emergency watermakers must be disclosed, approved and sealed. 

Watermakers can work on planing racing boats - just need to locate scoop at appropriate place or use weighted intake hose. 

Your sure MIffy,

if you want you can install stuff you like, unless its communication, navigation equipment, you can do.

But watermakers... you really must like a daily shower to install that...

The rules specifically address watermakers. Only allowed are emergency and must be approved and sealed. 

Many competitive long distance races allow watermakers. If you look at the safe rough rule of 3 liters/100nm; doesn't take a genius to see when 3000+ nm event means 90 kilos of water. If you have the energy reserves like on an IMOCA, a 30 kilo watermakers and 60liter tankage, starts to make competitive sense. Not a stupid shower. 

I was wondering because all the ocean rowers don't bring a lot of water. They just carry two or three watermakers. But the weight balance is even worse there. 90KG seems managable. I'm curious though, what about the "spirit" would prevent a watermaker. Too fancy?   

The entire mini class is focused on good seamanship with cost containment without preventing boat design experimentation. 

No weather file routing. No adrena. Using a watermaker to save fresh water weight? Adds a cost advantage of 6,000 euros that has nothing to do with the boat. 

Miffy, the Mini rules only talk about emergency watermakers, the handheld ones, but about  a non emergency one, no  word. But would ask CM before for a ruling.

They can reject it on base of risk your dumping all your water outside of your emergency and making you totally dependable on electronics. Not a smart solution.

Looked in the ocean rowers, it seems they use an electric version like:

http://www.sailfishmarine.co.uk/epages/es139653.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es139653/Products/ECrow

The humanpower put in hand cranked watermakers/desalinators is high.

The electric power needed for electric ones requires you to upgrade your battery capacity and solar panels.

Or go the expensive petrol driven way with Rainmaker, then you just can store a few containers of water.

But hey, if you want to race the minitransat and then cruise the caribbean (very rare but it happened), it could be worth looking into. But if its rejected by the technical committee dont be surprised.

Good book of living in a liferaft and struggling for water,
Adrift: 76 Days Lost At Sea, Callahan (btw was participating in the minitransat, but dropped out 1 leg IIRC)

https://www.katadyn.com/en/de/102-8013438-katadyn-powersurvivor-40e-12-v

This one runs on 4 amps or human power. About 48W So i guess a extra solar panel of 70Wp would make this thing run on an average day. Battery capacity would not change that much. You could make it operate on direct sunlight and even have enough water for some washing. 

So for about 4K you would be set. And save about 90Kg of weight on the second leg of the transat.

I would definitly call that a boat performance upgrade .

And this one for backup :-)

https://www.echomax.co.uk/aquamate-solar-stills.html

Start of the second leg tomorrow!

Anybody in Las Palmas with some insight? Latest information? Any sailor still with some serious hurdle not solved before the (re)start?

What a fleet again, watched a video on the race site, about last day preparations. The sailors are as varied as always, old to young, but only two slept onboard :)

On 10/7/2017 at 5:44 PM, Miffy said:

Light conditions across the Biscay basically doomed him. The boat is heavy. Way heavier than intended at design. 

Hmm, that's not really good in any conditions for a planing/foiling boat

Weather outlook can make some sailors take the risk to go coast hugging Africa for  a while..

There is a bug on the "cartographie". The small pop up window that appears when you click on a boat shows incorrect data for the 4 hrs and 24 hrs periods.

I know that Ian Lipinsky is fast, but 263 knots over 24 hrs???? He should be in the Pacific by now...

The distance is wrong as well, once again, more than 200 miles in 4 hrs means that he beats Spindrift 2 by a fair margin for the 24 hrs run...

Bugger.

Was wondering about hte waypoint at Cape verdie, found it:

MINI Depart from the second stage of the Mini-Transat-La Boulangère between Gran Canaria and Le Marin, in Martinique, on Wednesday afternoon with a modified modification, passing through the Cape Vert, due to a tropical storm at the North route.

source tip&shaft