• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
DtM

VOR Leg 1 Alicante to Lisbon

Time to start a separate thread for this leg.  Final course TBD dependant on weather.

Of all the legs with likely light breeze this should be Scallywags chance to be in the mix. Less crew equals less stack weight, but it is also a navigators nightmare wiht constantly shifting wind patterns. So that puts their on deck crew down to 6....too much to ask?

Will there be a proper watch system on the boats in a leg this length? Feels a bit like it falls between the really short legs of the past where everyone stayed on deck the whole way and the proper ocean legs with real watchrotation.

Could make the difference even greater when you compare Scallywag to TToP in number of crew on watch. 

Going to be an interesting leg :-)

7 hours ago, Potter said:

Of all the legs with likely light breeze this should be Scallywags chance to be in the mix. Less crew equals less stack weight, but it is also a navigators nightmare wiht constantly shifting wind patterns. So that puts their on deck crew down to 6....too much to ask?

Huh my expectation was the lighter and shifty conditions favor the teams than can effectuate more and better sail changes and tacks & less of a problem in the established trades. We'll see :)

3 hours ago, Miffy said:

Huh my expectation was the lighter and shifty conditions favor the teams than can effectuate more and better sail changes and tacks & less of a problem in the established trades. We'll see :)

effectuate?  WTF?

On 9/28/2017 at 0:52 PM, FoolOnTheHill said:

effectuate?  WTF?

Mum used to say if you effectuate too much, it will stunt your growth. 

Have the OBR's been allocated for Leg 1 (or any other legs) yet?

Bump.  Use this thread for the comments on Leg 1 so that the general thread does not get overloaded.

This thread is now boycotted by  LLST or "Long Live Single Threads" a group that protects the rights and lifestyle of  those who can't remember which day it is let alone the million leg numbers of a VOR race. Any prick crossing this picket line will be named and shamed.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

This thread is now boycotted by  LLST or "Long Live Single Threads" a group that protects the rights and lifestyle of  those who can't remember which day it is let alone the million leg numbers of a VOR race. Any prick crossing this picket line will be named and shamed.

So what day is it?

1 minute ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Hopefully VOR does spare us of the two Clowns Martin Tasker/Peter Lester tomorrow. Biggest Sailing Clowns ever. They have no real understanding what's going on.

Just like you in other words?

9 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

About time?

MAPFRE Alicante In-Port-Race Full Replay :)

So, this was posted by the official VOR YouTube channel, but it's not listed in their publicly viewable videos. So they posted it but kept the video unlisted on their account? Is that right?

I'd think it's more likely that I screwed up and just missed it. I'm curious, if the video is unlisted on their channel, where you found it. Because I need to be looking there in the future.

Yep, I couldn't find it. Seems that the video section of the site may not be the best place to be looking for recent video. In previous events, the Youtube video site was excellent.

Don't fix what ain't broke?..........

44 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Any Idea how the Conditions look like next weekend and beyond and which of the 4 Courses the Race Committee might select?

No

11 hours ago, jbc said:

So, this was posted by the official VOR YouTube channel, but it's not listed in their publicly viewable videos. So they posted it but kept the video unlisted on their account? Is that right?

I'd think it's more likely that I screwed up and just missed it. I'm curious, if the video is unlisted on their channel, where you found it. Because I need to be looking there in the future.

Same, and it seemed impossible to check youtube to try and find it, fail go to the VOR site and find it without seeing thumbnails telling me the results. Watching these things race in the light is kinda dull, take away the suspense of not knowing the results and it gets really dull. Can someone kick me if there is about to be a windy in port.

12 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Any Idea how the Conditions look like next weekend and beyond and which of the 4 Courses the Race Committee might select?

11 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

No

Yes

Windy ...(.com)  and Course R (ound the World)

I had been on the water during the inPort Race and it had been obvious that Mapfre got it all right. Not only from trimming the sails but also they tacked quicker than anyone else. Less maneuvers did also count for their advantage. Hopefully the others will gain experience quickly, otherwise it will be a MAP/DONG show. I enjoyed the Alicante experience though the booths were standardized and only a small 40ft front container size open for the customer experience. Mainly selling team gear. Interesting that the doorman shut me out when I was about visiting the AKNO team base to talk to Nicolai S. on Sunday, not knowing about the drama within the team. With my press passport it might have looked "wrong" to have a chat when the team tried to recover from loosing the skipper. I than first read it on the FP after having left ALC. The media center had been very empty, nearly paper less, maybe due to the "messages called out" from TtT team and 11th H/VES. All in all the whole ALC VOR base had been very, very clean and being visited by lots of spectators. Long queues on Sunday. Good to be able to watch the start live on YT.

5 hours ago, Manfred said:

I had been on the water during the inPort Race and it had been obvious that Mapfre got it all right. Not only from trimming the sails but also they tacked quicker than anyone else. Less maneuvers did also count for their advantage. Hopefully the others will gain experience quickly, otherwise it will be a MAP/DONG show. I enjoyed the Alicante experience though the booths were standardized and only a small 40ft front container size open for the customer experience. Mainly selling team gear. Interesting that the doorman shut me out when I was about visiting the AKNO team base to talk to Nicolai S. on Sunday, not knowing about the drama within the team. With my press passport it might have looked "wrong" to have a chat when the team tried to recover from loosing the skipper. I than first read it on the FP after having left ALC. The media center had been very empty, nearly paper less, maybe due to the "messages called out" from TtT team and 11th H/VES. All in all the whole ALC VOR base had been very, very clean and being visited by lots of spectators. Long queues on Sunday. Good to be able to watch the start live on YT.

I've been watching (and rewatching) the in-port race video, and it's true; Mapfre is seriously on their game. Racing these boats shorthanded around the buoys is super-hard, I realize, but they make it look easy, sailing cleanly and effectively. It's really a joy to watch. A windy in-port might be a different story, and of course none of this necessarily translates to the ocean legs. But they are getting the job done, and just look super-solid doing it.

DF has the speed if they don't need to worry about the short-course tactics and maneuvers; I don't think it's an accident that they (barely) beat Mapfre in the most offshore of the prelim races (the Fastnet).

Bring on Leg 1!

5 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Who do you think is the Favourite in this first Leg, MAPFRE or Dongfeng? I pick MAPFRE unless Charles can stay with Xabi until the Straits of Gibraltar. You can easily being dropped before the Straits with the fluky Weather in the Merriteranean.

I'd think the odds at this point favor MAPFRE, but hell if I know. I'm excited to find out, though. :-)

1 hour ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Who do you think is the Favourite in this first Leg, MAPFRE or Dongfeng? I pick MAPFRE unless Charles can stay with Xabi until the Straits of Gibraltar. You can easily being dropped before the Straits with the fluky Weather in the Merriteranean.

MAPFRE is the easy pick, but I would agree.  They have shown they are crisp, make good tactical decisions and really know how to move that boat forward.  What I get from DongFeng is slightly, slightly. less polished at the moment, but...and here's the but, once they find their groove it will be very tight racing.  Question may be which team can sail 1000+ miles in OD thinking longer.  The stats you posted indicated how close these two are so it may be more micro weather that tells the tale.  If you want to win at OD ocean racing then there is no real opportunity to relax, step off the throttle, or take anything but a solid flyer, because right behind there should and will be a boat that will wait for the small mistakes, the small off decisions to take advantage for the pass.  

All that said, Bowie is damn good and while I can agree now with you that MAPFRE planned that in-port start, Brunel made a pile of shit at the start, yet by the end of the race was pushing for second.  he's got a greener team, but his experience and that a few others may really take the rough edges off by the end of leg 1.  Leg 2 will really show the mettle of the teams for the long haul, but leg 1 will truly point a light to the weaknesses needing addressing.

My personal favorites are TtT,  I think they may surprise, but my best hope is they beat Scallywag.  AKN may struggle or, because the worst is past they may gel even better with a heck of a good skipper.  

I look forward to a great start, and will be tracking when I can.  I am glad of going back to leg threads like last time.  kept things closing compact.

7 hours ago, Manfred said:

Last race I made it up to Newport for the finish and for a first time visitor, it was quite an experience.  At the moment I plan to go again with the hope the fleet is even tighter in the crossing the line.  Coolest part was seeing SCA still slightly off shore, then having time to watch them finish as the wind played havoc at sunset.  It was amazing to be so close to these boats, the sailors and looking past all the organizational BS, it is hard to not get caught up in the thrill of the moment being there.  

Ready for leg 1, ready for this race.

Mmh, I forgot to tell that there had been no sail changes at all during the race. Even at the Pro/Am on Sunday or in the practice races on Friday I had not seen sail changes during the "races". Obviously the legs were too short to do a winning move.Instead it looked they had all agreed on the same headsail and used it up and down. Definitely in the ocean legs there will be lots of sail changes and this will separate the good ones from the not so good ones. E.G. VES/11h messed up a tack due to what I think had been an overrun on the "old sheet", thus the "damned slow rolling through the tack" manouver did not look good. There had been a moment of nearly being dead in the water... Easy to sail backwards with bigger waves. Loosing maybe a "country mile".

5 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Official Distance for Leg 1 per "Race Experts" (Race Control): 1347 Nautical Miles...

DMbKN-SW0AEJvNF.jpg

Possible Routes to Lisbon...

DMbp1i7XUAALxzO.jpg

Routes after Gibraltar taken with low confidence.

Was that with Ramora?  (I played with Ramora so answered my own question).  My route with Remora was slightly different, but it seems the free version uses current weather.  You cant' change to the future.  The official distance may be one thing, looks like it will be a wide range of options.  Looking at the VOR tracker, it seems it did add some new  features, but I am curious if that amazing tracker from the Vendee will be up and running.

This is going to be a more interesting leg 1 then I thought.  If the options are that varied and variable there could be some break outs with the right choice of sail.  I wonder if a strategy for a lower tier (re experience) boat may be to generally stick with a top boat as long as they can, speed testing and experimenting with sail options.  A lot could be learned on this leg.  The real meat comes in leg two.

Thanks Bucc, great piece of information for this "small course sailor". 

19 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

This is going to be a more interesting leg 1 then I thought.  If the options are that varied and variable there could be some break outs with the right choice of sail.  I wonder if a strategy for a lower tier (re experience) boat may be to generally stick with a top boat as long as they can, speed testing and experimenting with sail options.  A lot could be learned on this leg.  The real meat comes in leg two.

If a less experienced and physically weaker crew tries to mirror another, what usually happens is they maintain contact like a yo yo for 2 days - then the uncertainty of what when they're going to tack or gybe dictating their move causes a fatigue spiral and eventually there's a boat handling mistaken and it is all for naught. 

It sounds trivial - but if you're off watch and before you go down the navigator says next planned maneuver in 2 hrs or 90 minutes, makes the world of diff between someone on deck with no concrete plan looking on the binoculars trying to tell what the other team is doing all the time.

On 10/18/2017 at 8:42 AM, jbc said:

I've been watching (and rewatching) the in-port race video, and it's true; Mapfre is seriously on their game. Racing these boats shorthanded around the buoys is super-hard, I realize, but they make it look easy, sailing cleanly and effectively. It's really a joy to watch. A windy in-port might be a different story, and of course none of this necessarily translates to the ocean legs. But they are getting the job done, and just look super-solid doing it.

DF has the speed if they don't need to worry about the short-course tactics and maneuvers; I don't think it's an accident that they (barely) beat Mapfre in the most offshore of the prelim races (the Fastnet).

Bring on Leg 1!

I don't necessarily believe these boats are hard to sail around the cans. Main and furling code only... However tactics (port tacking the fleet and going right) and sail handling have shown Mapfre and DF are ahead of the others......

If consistent breeze, Mapfre to win by 38 minutes.....    If it's light... anybodies..

6 hours ago, Miffy said:

If a less experienced and physically weaker crew tries to mirror another, what usually happens is they maintain contact like a yo yo for 2 days - then the uncertainty of what when they're going to tack or gybe dictating their move causes a fatigue spiral and eventually there's a boat handling mistaken and it is all for naught. 

It sounds trivial - but if you're off watch and before you go down the navigator says next planned maneuver in 2 hrs or 90 minutes, makes the world of diff between someone on deck with no concrete plan looking on the binoculars trying to tell what the other team is doing all the time.

I get that.  Actually went through that on a small scale with a Chesapeake Bay over night race.  In that case I was navigator, I gave instructions to the deck crew to steer such then went below for rest.  Later I was woken up for two reasons, to confirm my plan and to help in a spinnaker gybe since the fore deck sailor decided he didn't want to work.

Point is, communication between watches is key, I agree, but even if a "weaker boat" can hang with a top boat for some time, they can learn tons along the way.  They all may be professionals, but even at this level, there is acceptance that some are better and if it were me, I'd have no problem poaching sail trim ideas off the top sailor so that maybe in the next leg I can give them a better run.

6 hours ago, PIL007 said:

I don't necessarily believe these boats are hard to sail around the cans. Main and furling code only... However tactics (port tacking the fleet and going right) and sail handling have shown Mapfre and DF are ahead of the others......

If consistent breeze, Mapfre to win by 38 minutes.....    If it's light... anybodies..

Fun Fact....watch the leg start for the 2015 race out of Capetown.  Wind ranges went from "is there a breeze" to "OMFG hold on" and not a boat changed sails.  As I remember they had a J2 and carried it till passing the mark for the ocean leg.

Sure, they could do sail changes, but unless the winds are truly all over the place, observation shows that in a certain range, they can carry a sail a long time and play with keel for balance.  In port will be about tactics, boat handling, trim, and minimal mistakes.  Changing sails on these boats cost boat lengths so need to be carefully decided...in port.  On the ocean they have more leeway, but only if the navigator and skipper feel weather conditions hold enough to offset the boat lengths lost with the gains for the change.

7 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

@shanghaisailor,

Where are you? Given the wind conditions at the start on Sunday getting around the Alicante Leaving Mark 1st is imperative for Dongfeng, Charles & Pascal if they want any chance of doing well there.

As it is imperative to the other six?  ;-)  

The interesting thought about VOR OD starts.  How much do they matter.  line honors?  With A range of 1400+ to 1500+ miles so would a strong start matter?  I've pondered this since watching all the last race.  Within 30 to 60 minutes of a leg start these boats are split out.  Design? DNA?  But they do.  In this world of OD I posit that letting boats "get away" is not a good thing for being able to catch up is not as easy, passing is not as easy.  I raced OD for many years, OD match for a few and what I learned is that if you lead, you cannot relax, but need to cover, if you follow, you need to mirror than wait for the weak moment and pounce.  Hard enough at the local level...very tough around the world.  This will be a fascinating race to watch.

Still interesting that Scallywag, having taken the leap to have one woman, have not decided to take two.  Puts them one person down against all the others and two against TtToP.

I wonder if that will be reconsidered as the race evolves.

It's also quite interesting that Witty said the brought Annemieke on board so he could spend more time with the navigation and not so much because they felt shorthanded in the handling. I wonder how true that is, and how much it is him realizing that he's maybe not as fit as he should be? 

5 hours ago, DtM said:

Still interesting that Scallywag, having taken the leap to have one woman, have not decided to take two.  Puts them one person down against all the others and two against TtToP.

I wonder if that will be reconsidered as the race evolves.

Dt apart from the weight it looks as though he puts a lot of stock in keeping the team tight and not dropping people out. Also maybe one of reasons Annemieke Bes jumped off the Paintwagon apart from money was she was going to a team with only one women not two, and less at risk of being bumped on one or more legs.

Alinghi4ever, thanks for the crew lists.  Interesting on the one woman entry for Scally.  That may be an interesting social experiment (lol).

Alas i won't be able to follow as close as I did the last round, but I am thankful VOR upgraded their tracker.  I wonder of FORSS got pulled into help it be somewhat better.  I loved the tracker for the VG that offered routing views.

Looking at Windy, they may have more downwind even after rounding the island and light winds towards the finish.  That light air may be the nail biter towards the end.  

Last minute crew change on Vestas

Phil Harmer has a back injury and gets replaced by Damian Foxhall for Leg 1,
Since Phil is also a medic another change was required, Jena Hansen (not a medic) gets replaced by Hannah Diamond (medic).

New crew:

Vestas 11th Hour Racing:
Charlie Enright (skipper)
Simon Fisher
Mark Towill
Nick Dana
Tom Johnson
Tony Mutter
Stacey Jackson
Damian Foxhall
Hannah Diamond

James Blake (OBR)

Source:

On 10/19/2017 at 10:02 PM, bucc5062 said:

As it is imperative to the other six?  ;-)  

The interesting thought about VOR OD starts.  How much do they matter.  line honors?  With A range of 1400+ to 1500+ miles so would a strong start matter?  I've pondered this since watching all the last race.  Within 30 to 60 minutes of a leg start these boats are split out.  Design? DNA?  But they do.  In this world of OD I posit that letting boats "get away" is not a good thing for being able to catch up is not as easy, passing is not as easy.  I raced OD for many years, OD match for a few and what I learned is that if you lead, you cannot relax, but need to cover, if you follow, you need to mirror than wait for the weak moment and pounce.  Hard enough at the local level...very tough around the world.  This will be a fascinating race to watch.

Logically, there’s minimal reason to push to win the start, however...  Looking to past races where 1st and 2nd finished overlapped, I would hate knowing those ten seconds I held back for a conservative start would’ve made the difference. 

Plus, getting away with clean air can really help you leg out early. 

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:11 AM, Alinghi4ever said:

@shanghaisailor,

Where are you? Given the wind conditions at the start on Sunday getting around the Alicante Leaving Mark 1st is imperative for Dongfeng, Charles & Pascal if they want any chance of doing well there.

Hi Alinghi - did you miss me? LOL. Was in HK for the start of the HK to Vietnam Race as we had a team in it then off to Sanya to survey a couple of marinas.

Ready to sit in front of the computer tmw evening (China time) to see how the guys go. One thing Witty may have got right, this could be like a 45,000 mile match race

SS

Apparently just breaking on Dutch National TV Website - Tienpont has won the arbitration and is on his way to Alicante to get his boat back

https://www.sailingillustrated.com/single-post/2017/10/21/VOR-Breaking-News-Dutch-national-TV-says-Tienpont-has-won-the-arbitration-returning-to-Alicante-to-skipper-the-yacht-in-Leg-1-that-starts-Sunday

If this is BS, remember I am only the messenger

SS

Even SS is more interested in the Reality Show than in the Round Porto Santo Race!
The Volvo Ocean Race has descended yet further into a farce.

2 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Apparently just breaking on Dutch National TV Website - Tienpont has won the arbitration and is on his way to Alicante to get his boat back

https://www.sailingillustrated.com/single-post/2017/10/21/VOR-Breaking-News-Dutch-national-TV-says-Tienpont-has-won-the-arbitration-returning-to-Alicante-to-skipper-the-yacht-in-Leg-1-that-starts-Sunday

If this is BS, remember I am only the messenger

SS

This is interesting in that he is going to talk with the crew about his returning

"He travels to Spain today to discuss his return on the boat with the crew. "

What if they say, no thanks.  You bring to much drama to the event now.  It's like winning the kids in a custody battle and finding out they really wanted Mom.  I guess we'll find out tomorrow at the start. 

26 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

This is interesting in that he is going to talk with the crew about his returning

"He travels to Spain today to discuss his return on the boat with the crew. "

What if they say, no thanks.  You bring to much drama to the event now.  It's like winning the kids in a custody battle and finding out they really wanted Mom.  I guess we'll find out tomorrow at the start. 

It might get a little akward ....
tenor.gif?itemid=4572585

6 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

It might get a little akward ....
tenor.gif?itemid=4572585

You just gave me the best laugh...thank you.  Kind of like the old girl friend showing up after the break up and your out on the first date with the new one...

Another way to view it, win the battle, lose the war.  Still rather focus on the leg, not the management.  7 boats start tomorrow, varying conditions might mean breakouts, position swaps..it will be something to follow, whomever skippers AKN.  

6 hours ago, staysail said:

Even SS is more interested in the Reality Show than in the Round Porto Santo Race!
The Volvo Ocean Race has descended yet further into a farce.

Bollocks STAYSAIL, you can be such a prick!

Don't even imagine that you can read my mind. I saw the information so I shared it - end of story.

Like I said I was "only the messenger"

Regarding Azkonobel? They are a team, that is all. They like 6 other teams are about to head off into 45,000 miles of ocean. That is, in case you hadn't noticed that is serious stuff. Quite the opposite of farce.

SS

7 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Hey, only you can probably answer this: Is Henry Woodhouse still the Dongfeng Shore Team Manager? He did one hell of a job during the 14/15 Race.

It was actually Gringo in the last race. He's your man. The term dedicated is overused, but it fits him. This will be his 6th round the world race as a kind of 'preparateur'.

On top of that he's a good guy.

SS

11 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

I was about to answer re Henry but then SS replied above. Henry actually works for the Boatyard as a boatbuilder 

7 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Bollocks STAYSAIL, you can be such a prick!

Don't even imagine that you can read my mind. I saw the information so I shared it - end of story.

Like I said I was "only the messenger"

Regarding Azkonobel? They are a team, that is all. They like 6 other teams are about to head off into 45,000 miles of ocean. That is, in case you hadn't noticed that is serious stuff. Quite the opposite of farce.

SS

Lighten up SS. In case you hadn't noticed this thread is for leg 1 only, (there is another thread for the overall event) and unless I am missing something, this leg is only a race round the Island of Porto Santo, from Southern Spain to Western Portugal. Not quite 45,000 miles, and surely not all that serious stuff?

Thanks for sharing the news.

27 minutes ago, staysail said:

this leg is only a race round the Island of Porto Santo, .........surely not all that serious stuff?

You forgotten about them Santo killer bees.

2 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

VOR is broadcasting the Dockout of the Boats. How cool is that!

It's been a long wait - no excuses now

36 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Yes, it's FRANK CAMMAS :o

Charles Caudrelier was Cammas protege during his tenure with Groupama. Charles learned a lot from Frank.

Master and apprentice side by side.

No luck finding the tracker on the desktop (app works), but good to see MAPF back up to 2nd

That was a hell of a slalom for TtT and Scally. Really thought there was going to be contact.  Amazing racing by DF.  That was also a heart pounding moment when those three boats were feet apart.  The penalty hurt, but I can see MAPFRE has already gain back a lot of ground.  DF may be hard to pass, but from the looks of the last shots, MAPFRE is working hard. The real sleeper was TtT.  At times it looked like they would just get popped out the back, but Dee seemed to find a lane, a breeze that put them right back into the mix.  Watching them roll Scally made my day.  

Now onto the tracker.

Re tracker.

-was told a few days ago by VOR that there would be live (1 minute updates) for a few hours, then again for the finish.

-also told there would be no open data stream, other than the spreadsheets

-can't figure our how to deselect a team on the tracker so to view all without blocking other teams

-still trying to get longitude to show (lat works)

-good to see windy-like anims. Since those are supplied via Squid/great circle, there's hope for remora projections maybe, and maybe NAM/GFS/Euro model switching.

-Good that avionics maps are an option.

-wondering if AIS integration, such as forss used for the Vendee, might also appear.

8 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

MAPFRE is clearly the fastest Boat in the Fleet. DF's lead may not last very long.

Not certain the cycle for the tracker, but I'd have to agree.  MAPFRE is burning it up and we could either see a pass or a very long neck and neck.  Interesting they are sailing a little low of the rhumb line.  Sail choice dictating that or are they  thinking as the wind builds they may need to switch down and that allows them to head up a little more.  Eyeball view does not have then clearing the cape without some turn to the left.

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Re tracker.

-was told a few days ago by VOR that there would be live (1 minute updates) for a few hours, then again for the finish.

-also told there would be no open data stream, other than the spreadsheets

-can't figure our how to deselect a team on the tracker so to view all without blocking other teams

-still trying to get longitude to show (lat works)

-good to see windy-like anims. Since those are supplied via Squid/great circle, there's hope for remora projections maybe, and maybe NAM/GFS/Euro model switching.

-Good that avionics maps are an option.

-wondering if AIS integration, such as forss used for the Vendee, might also appear.

Tap the highlighted boat a second time to deselect all...

Have to say I thought the coverage, commentary, tracker, start, dock out etc all done very well.  Some good inshore racing too.  Like DF's fight.

2 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

DF needs to get over to the line of MAPFRE which is what they are trying to do now. This seems to me already a two-boat contest for the VOR between the Chinese and the Spanish.

Perhaps and those two clearly are sailing really well.  If I was DF I might be worried at how quickly  MAPFRE caught up after a big penalty.  At the moment I like TnT and Brunel's positionfor as slight as it may be, it looks like they may get fresher breeze before others.  Dee's got the pedal down and Brunel has made up even more time and distance after the penalty and a screwed up sail.  We'll see in a few hours, but the conditions and effort of racing with this intensity may play against the smaller crews.

DF has now caught up to the Line of MAPFRE covering Xabi. Now we're gonna see who has better Drivers/Trimmers.

MAPFRE may head up slightly take the windward position.  TnT and Brunel are doing well over there.  It would not be good for either red boat to be so focused on each other they miss the efforts of others.  I think the announcer was wrong to say that when DF had the lead they could relax a little.  Besides watching Charles in the past, relaxing with a lead is not an option, nothing in this race allows relaxation till the finish is crossed.  

@ bucc,

Why I do get the impression that this will be a 45,000 nm Match Race between Dongfeng Race Team and MAPFRE?

As e write, TnT has cut the distance to .2 nm.  You think only two boats?  Having young bodies on board for the ocean race was a good decision.  I think mentally her team is more in tune with the tight/OD style.  That may make up for some inexperience at times and she can really press hard. 

Dee is showing the best SOG for the last few minutes. I'm expecting lead changes amongst the three shortly.

(and thanks Rigo)

Just now, southerncross said:

Nice shot.  Reminds me of the Cape Town start last time around.

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 6.51.49 AM.png

Yes!  This time round less all over the place which really made for some tight rounds/crosses and DongFeng putting a hurt on MAPFRE and Brunel.  Sad that some of the boats had to weave around big spectator boats.  Damn.  65 ft boat powered up and having to weave in close quarters, not only with the competition, but poorly moving monsters.  Perhaps the next start they can better clear the lanes.

Boats starting to fall in line now.  Nice line for Dee at the moment but would be wise not to stray too far.

38 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

@ bucc,

Why I do get the impression that this will be a 45,000 nm Match Race between Dongfeng Race Team and MAPFRE?

Why?? You drink too much red cordial?

42 minutes ago, Herman said:

Boats are also on Marinetraffic atm. 

Thanks--mine finally updated. 

I'm looking into the subscriptions on Marine traffic so I can see all 7 boats, and wondering if the VOR fleet also puts out the sat-AIS positions on their Inmarsats. If so, I'm tempted to fork over the $200. Anyone tried it with the current VOR boats?

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Thanks--mine finally updated. 

I'm looking into the subscriptions on Marine traffic so I can see all 7 boats, and wondering if the VOR fleet also puts out the sat-AIS positions on their Inmarsats. If so, I'm tempted to fork over the $200. Anyone tried it with the current VOR boats?

I paid the lowest subscription so I could follow all 7, but in reality I don't always see all seven from a fleet.  Maybe AIS numbers changed?  I only got 4 boats.  Also if they get too offshore it goes away.  I think I asked about the Sat version and folks here told me the boats don't carry that level (though I can't remember who told me that).  Alinghi says VOR will be live(ish) tracking for 24 hours start finish and I can live with that though I do not like 6 hour delays.