• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
DtM

VOR Leg 1 Alicante to Lisbon

38 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Come on Miff, give it a break.Your still channeling your own race routing choice of Villa staying south and following in Billyo's wake on the approach to the rock to take advantage of your Morrocan influenced morning breeze that actually never fuckin happened. They both rounded the rock at a delta which was arguably no different but at least Villa gave it a shot.

The thing that set this race apart from the expected follow the leader boringthon was the 2 boat split to the Spanish coast, Villas move above and Billy's roll of the dice to kept left on the approach to the virtual WP, that didn't work out.

Give credit where credit is due mate.

+ Uno

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

MAPFRE a much better team without the princess in charge........

Haha.  Yes.  Good one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

AkzoNobel are sitting ducks and Scallywag coming in with 12 knots of boatspeed.

You should be a tabloid journalist Alinghi.........

• Like 1

Just now, rogerfal said:

You should be a tabloid journalist Alinghi.........

LOL !  Upvote to you for that
I was just thinking to myself : wondering if he is a journalist :lol:

Been traversing the Los Angles basin all morning for kids sports games.  Soccer in Pasadena now surfing in Redondo.

But I was able to keep the Live on my phone and in the car for the drive.  Way cool (surfing speak at the moment).

Great race up to the drift fest.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Thanks--good to see you have access to the broadcast room (still awaiting a response why my login won't work)

Much prefer the raw stuff than the similar vid with the music soundtrack the Live show posted.

3 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

LOL !  Upvote to you for that
I was just thinking to myself : wondering if he is a journalist :lol:

Still it is getting closer

Be good to see some overhead footage

1 minute ago, stief said:

Thanks--good to see you have access to the broadcast room (still awaiting a response why my login won't work)

Much prefer the raw stuff than the similar vid with the music soundtrack the Live show posted.

To be honest, I cannot follow all the output, so it may be that I double-post things. I did not try to log in yet, 'cause getting the link and embed code for the blog works just fine without. Good that the media team is so helpful and inclusive this time.

Back to the broadcast/tracker...

Wasn't me.

Perhaps I should get one -any suitable or unsuitable suggestions.........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

I don't see a white stern lantern on Painwagon, is that a problem for them?

Not sure how big you have to before a tricolour is not enough.

Hats off to Teapot, Billyo and all the Paintwagoners who just drifted across the line a bees dick in front of the Lunatics. 

If anyone wasn't inspired by that courageous effort....give yourself an uppercut. 

Let's hope there is still a chequebook open to keep the show on the road.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rogerfal said:

Wasn't me.

Perhaps I should get one -any suitable or unsuitable suggestions.........

Corncob sitting on a wall? Humpty-dumpty style? Okay, I live in Illinois, can't think of much else this time of year.

1 minute ago, TheDragon said:

Corncob sitting on a wall? Humpty-dumpty style? Okay, I live in Illinois, can't think of much else this time of year.

I'll have a look around

Not sure how big you have to before a tricolour is not enough.

Of course :-)
Brainfart - did catch the smell quite fast though and hid the post :mellow:
I'm going to keep my mouth shut now - for several minutes

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Hats off to Teapot, Billyo and all the Paintwagoners who just drifted across the line a bees dick in front of the Lunatics. 

If anyone wasn't inspired by that courageous effort....give yourself an uppercut. 

Agree. Tienpont's thrill with his team is  . . . bankable?

[awaiting to see if Witt will make another crack about lending Tienpont the crew necessary ;) ]

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Agree, fuckin' well done !

Of course :-)
Brainfart - did catch the smell quite fast though and hid the post :mellow:
I'm going to keep my mouth shut now - for several minutes

Best we're not too rude otherwise we'll have to be nice to him.........

• Like 1

Just now, stief said:

too funny! Witty furls, and lets the tide give 'em the finish. 

Protecting their assets (sails) says the commentator.
Seems like a good idea, it is breezy and the sun is out 'n all.
Very educational commentary in general. Earlier on I learned that the wind is transparent.

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Yes, impressive indeed. Hope they can continue. What's the odds?. Who're they gonna get for the next legs. 

...someone mind giving the finish order so far?

.....just coming-to after Saturday morning worship with the wifey.  :rolleyes:

...I'll blessyer with 3 lickey pointz. ^_^

• Like 1

1 minute ago, couchsurfer said:

...someone mind giving the finish order so far?

.....just coming-to after Saturday morning worship with the wifey.  :rolleyes:

VS11, MAPF, DFRT, AKZO

Bless you

Just now, TheDragon said:

Let's see, can then put someone overboard to swim and pull the boat over the line, maybe a whole bunch of them?

Scally might be aground ?

2 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Let's see, can then put someone overboard to swim and pull the boat over the line, maybe a whole bunch of them?

No advantage. Will pull away from the finish. (hmm. I thought they were deploying to leeward. guess not). Didn't think that was legal)

Somebody tell Nial it's not ok to propel the boat over the line using the anchor please

2 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

This is just crazy stuff .. :o

24 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

That’s right.  This should bring in some funding.

• Like 1

Looking at the finish times the course extension was a brain explosion. Will be interesting to hear if there is any commentary on that. The podium may well have ended up a bit different, but by how much probably meaningless to speculate.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

It's called a Dashboard, but Vestas, Mapfre, Dongfeng, Akzo, now Scally, while Brunel holding off TTTP

5 minutes ago, stief said:

VS11, MAPF, DFRT, AKZO

Bless you

4 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

A good missionary.

Vestas, MAP, Dong, Akzo. No surprises

....woww, thanks, ,,  mazing how jumpy y'all are for lickey points.

I wuz joking BTW  :lol:

Just now, couchsurfer said:

Nah not after you've just got out of bed........

1 minute ago, couchsurfer said:

Then take me back to "neutral" :wub:

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, stief said:

Is the anchor pulling them away from, or to the finish? Still not clear.

Away if anything

6 minutes ago, stief said:

Is the anchor pulling them away from, or to the finish? Still not clear.

They are just sitting ducks, while Brunel is comming in hot.
(Likely Alinghy4ever quote)

1 minute ago, ModernViking said:

They are just sitting ducks, while Brunel is comming in hot.
(Likely Alinghy4ever quote)

Snigger

Snigger

"snigger meaning, definition, what is snigger: to laugh at someone or something in a silly and often unkind way"
Nooo 
:unsure: don't be unkind

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

"snigger meaning, definition, what is snigger: to laugh at someone or something in a silly and often unkind way"
Nooo 
:unsure: don't be unkind

Okay - am going to the useless pub in the village now - see if they have any beer today!

It's called the New Inn, we could do with a new inn!!

Just now, rogerfal said:

Okay - am going to the useless pub in the village now - see if they have any beer today!

Good call - would like to join you.
Unfortunately we don't have the same pub culture around here.

1 minute ago, ModernViking said:

The way our pub is carrying on we might not have one at all soon.

I'll have to move back to Falmouth.

Cheers n laters

3 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

It's called the New Inn, we could do with a new inn!!

...ahh, used to looooove GuinessBrunch in Falmouth,  and the Mead.   ..and the Trenguilly Sausage.     ...and those crazy sail-fishboat races.   :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just now, couchsurfer said:

...ahh, used to looooove GuinessBrunch in Falmouth,  and the Mead.   ..and the Trenguilly Sausage.     ...and those crazy sail-fishboat races.   :rolleyes:

I know you will hate me for it, but I had to give you a virtual hug for that one.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Woger enjoy yourself

Bit of classic British comedy

• Like 1

Swimming the anchor out?  Sounds like a bunch of bareboat charters.  LOL.  This ought to have them rethink the finishes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Swimming the anchor out?  Sounds like a bunch of bareboat charters.  LOL.  This ought to have them rethink the finishes.

I hate light air finishes, but over the years come to see that light air is a better test of sailing skills. So, definitely needed to adjust and appreciate finishes like today, since we don't get to really see the intensity of doldrum crossing.

An acquired taste, I guess.

It are not easy times for us fans of the yellow boat. You can’t win the race in leg 1 but you might very well loose it.

I’m wondering who of this team will sleep in doghouse tonight or even the next leg. 

4 minutes ago, Elisa said:

It are not easy times for us fans of the yellow boat. You can’t win the race in leg 1 but you might very well loose it.

I’m wondering who of this team will sleep in doghouse tonight or even the next leg. 

Yah really, hopefully we get to hear Wtf happened soon.

Either that, or its time for Bouwe to hang up his catheter.  :mellow:

4 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Some Statistics of Leg 1 (Note: Brunel & TTOP haven't finished yet)

DNQENKUXUAAOX8A.jpg

Vestas sailed the least Distance and had the highest Average Speed. That's always how you win a Sailboat Race.

But I thought that DF would outsail them in boatspeed. I am quite sure you told us so early on the leg ;-)
No just kiddin' - we all have our favorites, and to be honest I didn't think Vestas would be  strong, but now I am not so sure.
Things will change, things will break, things will get pear-shaped, but the race is on, and it could be a good one.

TTOP last, but so close. Don't miss the huge deltas often seen with the VO70s, despite the thrill/shock/anger at the carnage. Dee may be doing a service to sailing giving so many an opportunity to get into the VOR, but they've shown they can't be discounted, at least.

Just now, Alinghi4ever said:

Bow to Bow I think DF has more speed....but they made a big mistake in the Med and paid the price for it. Glad the came back to finish 3rd.

Next Legs are going to be a lot longer so more opportunities for all of the Teams :)

I just watched a highspeed replay of the leg, and it did show that Vestas was superior in boatspeed, Actually that split early on only gave them around 2.5 nm, but the kept extending. I am not saying that they have an edge on boatspeed, but I am sure that they are not disadvantaged in boatspeed compared to DF or any other. 

26 minutes ago, stief said:

TTOP last, but so close. Don't miss the huge deltas often seen with the VO70s, despite the thrill/shock/anger at the carnage. Dee may be doing a service to sailing giving so many an opportunity to get into the VOR, but they've shown they can't be discounted, at least.

The extra point for the winner might make the teams more willing to take risks, which is good

• Like 1

Just now, jonas a said:

The extra point for the winner might make the teams more willing to take risks, which is good

Agree. Boats that stayed in the AIS bubble of last time lost out this leg to those who took chances. The bubble seemed to reward the teams with less experience in tuning these VO65s. Looking forward to seeing if that extra point will only make the riskier moves more attractive. 

1 minute ago, jonas a said:

Similarly one could argue that the last boat should get a minus point, i.e. zero points, that would make the trailing boats fight even harder and the finish more exciting.

But nah, being last is already bad enough and it would be a bit unfair to kick them when down.

image.gif

1 minute ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Yes, that is good.

The VOR will be decided by the Double Points Legs I think. You get 15 Points (14+1) while 2nd Place gets you only 12 Points. That can make a huge difference in the end.

Wasn't very excited for the race, mostly because it lacks those design phase speculations like the VG has, but i think I might have underestimated it. TToP , despite the abbreviation sounding like some old trade deal, is a great addition. Hope they'll pick some top positions later in the game. What's the situation with the painters? Full crew on the next leg? 

“We had a very good start and a very good first afternoon with good speed, but we hit something at the end of that day and after that we had a big problem with the speed,”

Yeah we could tell :rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

“We had a very good start and a very good first afternoon with good speed, but we hit something at the end of that day and after that we had a big problem with the speed,”

Yeah we could tell :rolleyes:

So are they allowed to dive, check and possibly repair damage in Lisbon? During the "non haul-out stopover", which is basically at the VOR boatyard. 

... try to make sense of this... 

It's quite normal (I haven't read the SI's or NOR) at most regattas or championships to have a restriction on lifting boats but generally an application in writing can be made and this is considered by the jury or protest committee. If they agree that damage has occurred a lift is usually permitted.

As far as the NOR goes:

20. NON-HAUL OUT, NON-RIG OUT STOPOVERS AND PIT STOPS 
[...]
20.2  A diver may be used for underwater maintenance and repairs.
20.3  Should a Team request work that would contravene either NOR 20.1 or 20.2, 20.5 (a) or (b) they shall, prior to commencing the work: Apply to the RC for permission to carry out the work, the application shall contain information from the VCA, BY or supplier of the item that needs the work outlining the problem and the suggested method of repair or replacement. The RC may refer the matter to the IJ, which may result in a hearing and a point’s penalty.  

So they can use a diver to work on the boat without problems. - Question is of course if the Boatyard has to do or at least certify the work since this round the BY is supposed do do most if not all structural work.
They can also apply for an exemption, but that exemption may come with a scoring penalty.

They want to keep boats on the water for spectators & sponsors & RC wouldnt let unsafe boats set sail. 

Would it be right to think that the keel if tough to fix with the boat in the water, daggers and rudders I would guess are easy enough to fix without hauling the boat ?

1 minute ago, V21 said:

Would it be right to think that the keel if tough to fix with the boat in the water, daggers and rudders I would guess are easy enough to fix without hauling the boat ?

...not easy to use,, but there is an underwater epoxy.  :mellow:

Yes for the keel, I was assuming that boards and rudders can be removed, fixed and replaced with out hauling the boat