Mayhem

Thompson 35 Rumours/Vida Zee Specs & Info Needed

The boat has just arrived in Milwaukee, WI. Gonna be a saa weeeet ride. Tim Woodhouse's Rumours.

SO... anybody have contact info for Steve Thompson, that he will respond to? Know where the boat was built?

Anybody know of any drawings or certificates for the boat?

Anybody privy to the mods made to the boat in Newport at some point??

Anyone with Hood in Newport?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Starting at square one with NO info!!

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

RACING-Sails-Rumors-Kite-2-1.jpg

T35_400x200.gif

T35_Photo_Rumours_01.jpg

Not sure where Steve T is hanging out these days  He was in Vietnam for some years but have lost track of him in more recent times. Designed some sweet boats in his time and I am sure Rumours will be no exception. Enjoy the ride! 

Some great memories on that boat.  Tim was fun to sail with and had no problem pushing the boat.   Just make sure you pump out the water after a long beat before turning the corner and popping the kite!

plenty of people in Newport with direct knowledge of mods. will chime in

That thing looks like a downhill flyer for sure.  Who's the new owner ?

Any thoughts on where ORR will put this thing ?  I'd imagine Turbo division for the Mac ?   Humm.  Wait your turn, you get your weather and it's over with...

On 9/27/2017 at 11:21 PM, Mayhem said:

The boat has just arrived in Milwaukee, WI. Gonna be a saa weeeet ride. Tim Woodhouse's Rumours.

SO... anybody have contact info for Steve Thompson, that he will respond to? Know where the boat was built?

Anybody know of any drawings or certificates for the boat?

Anybody privy to the mods made to the boat in Newport at some point??

Anyone with Hood in Newport?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Starting at square one with NO info!!

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

RACING-Sails-Rumors-Kite-2-1.jpg

T35_400x200.gif

T35_Photo_Rumours_01.jpg

Thommo is holed up in a Vietnamese whore house.  I think he even got shacked up with a local "lady of ill repute"  - But he will occasionally respond to email

You have hitched a ride on a very fun boat

First, the pole is definitley long enough....

Sailed on the boat with Tim and was involved in the 2007 mods. If you want details email me. Second bailing in breeze prior to setting the kite. Fun times on the boat sailing with Woody.

Was head to head with Rumors the first full year I had "Nice Pair" as we chased each other all over the Lakes.  Big time fun!

Tim was one of my best friends. We sailed and skied together a lot. I have sailed on this boat a number of times and saw the original drawings. His wife Kim may know something, or his cousin Randy, but you would have to be diplomatic.

Rumors / Vida Zee is a weapon of a boat. There are plenty of people who have raced on it over the years and more than a few that would be happy to share their knowledge. 

The mods you are talking about were done to correct a lee helm issue that Woody felt was bad enough to move the rig back around two feet among other things. Once he was done with it, he had corrected all of the issues but then only used the boat a handful of times before the end. 

Unfortunately, once it went to marblehead it never had the level of talent or sail inventory to stay at the level that it was before. 

Thanks to everyone for the comments and info!!

Busy the next couple days trying to get it sorted and sailing, but will be in touch with all willing to help! Cheers!

Looks like a Schock 40 without the canting keel.  Would not want to be on it upwind in a heavy breeze.  Rumours was 2nd overall in the 2001 BYC Mac  

3 hours ago, Polaris said:

Looks like a Schock 40 without the canting keel.  Would not want to be on it upwind in a heavy breeze.  Rumours was 2nd overall in the 2001 BYC Mac  

Looks like a Schock40 because it's light, has a big sprit, and goes like hell downwind?? 

Guess it it looks like a J125, a Melges 32, a Cookson 40, Melges 24, Viper 640 etc etc

I'll take the 125 I sail on over this any day. About 500lbs heavier and will actually go to weather..

58 minutes ago, Sarcoma said:

Looks like a Schock40 because it's light, has a big sprit, and goes like hell downwind?? 

Guess it it looks like a J125, a Melges 32, a Cookson 40, Melges 24, Viper 640 etc etc

I'll take the 125 I sail on over this any day. About 500lbs heavier and will actually go to weather..

It does not go to weather? IIRC it had a 9' draft with a big old bulb on the end of it so there should be plenty of stability. No? Whatsit? Sheeting angles?

Some of the photos seem to show a big roachy main and others seem to show a fathead

2 hours ago, Sarcoma said:

It will wipe the floor with a J125

I sailed on the boat for a few years both before and after the refit until we had to put the boat away when Tim Woodhouse (Woody) got sick. That is me next to Tim in the photo from the port quarter.  Geoff Van Gorkam http://www.vgyd.com is probably your best source for data on the mod. He did the new keel bulb and trim tab design. I think Ross Weene who was working for Roger Martin at the time may have done the rating calcs and some of the other drawings but I think but he may be harder to track down  I do ocassionally see him on facebook, but am not sure where he is working now or what happened to Roger's office (I have since moved to NZ myself). You should be able to contact Geoff thru his website, he does list the project on the site and he sailed aboard a fair bit after the mods.  Mods made a huge difference to performance. Helped upwind performance dramatically.  Our closest competition was the Club Swan 42's.  With the trim tab we could hold with them upwind and then smoke them off the breeze.  Besides moving the rig aft and traveler aft, and getting rid of the perm backstay, we also re-ran all the control lines back to the mainsail trimmer.  Made a huge difference to trimability of everything.  This is also when Tim built the new black square top main (before that was the high roach kevlar one). 

In light to medium air, we generally kept the mainsheet trimmed on and traveler sheeted.  Once the breeze came up we had to spill off the top of the sail quite a bit.  We almost never sailed with less than 10 people as you need a lot of hands to get the big blue kite down and the weight on the rail was generally worth it.  Besides fixing the lee helm issue, the addition of the trim tab allowed us to point much better and hold a lane off the line and avoid getting shot out the back since generally we were sailing against much bigger boats.  Trim tab should be set to keep helm angle at about 2-2.5 times the trim tab angle.  We had marks on deck for trim tab angle as well as rudder angle, so I could play the trim tab a bit based on how much helm we had.  In terms of mainsail trim, most or our upwind targets were just in Tim's head but we did have a table on the bulkhead that Geoff might still have in a file.  Feel free to e-mail me at ibsailn@gmail.com if you want any more trim pointers. I will try to remember what I can. Best boat I ever raced on....somewhat due to the boat but probably mostly due to the great crew we had aboard. Most Tuesday nights included 3-4 naval architects, 3 sailmakers, a boatbuilder, and maybe 2-3 boat captains. All technically pros but just a boat we all really enjoyed sailing.

In terms of rating, under PHRF we owed the swan 42's 1 sec/mile I believe....don't remember the actual numbers anymore.  IRC rating was absolute joke.  We did NYYC race week under IRC and the next smallest boat in our fleet was a kerr 50 I believe and we owed time to a swan 72 which just didn't work on the ocean course for us, but it was fun trying to chase them down anyway.

Good luck with the boat and do Woody proud!

On 10/1/2017 at 7:04 AM, Parma said:

It does not go to weather? IIRC it had a 9' draft with a big old bulb on the end of it so there should be plenty of stability. No? Whatsit? Sheeting angles?

Some of the photos seem to show a big roachy main and others seem to show a fathead

Windward performance was totally changed with the mods we did.  Inhaulers helped with sheeting angles and the trim tab helped with pointing ability.  Bulb was also totally changed.  Didn't loose any speed downwind, but upwind she worked much better with the changes.

Were you out sailing in Milwaukee yesterday.  We saw a boat we didn't recognize, and now I'm wondering if

it was Rumors. We thought maybe Redrum got put in the water. But we were never that close to the boat.

The boat did the Chicago-Mac in about 2001 (not sure what year) so LM-PHRF should have a copy of the

certificate.  I had a hand in the original electronics for the boat and fine tuned them before the Mac. 

I was just in Milwaukee all weekend for a college regatta. We passed this beauty ever time we rotated boats, but I never got the chance to talk to anyone onboard. They were out both days testing sails in the harbor. The only info I can provide is that the transom says 'Marblehead, MA.'

Great to see Rumours back in action (but Midwest is truly where all old cool boats end up sooner or later...so it seems).  Looked at buying Rumors way back when but heard too many stories about her trying to sink herself because of the aperture where the pole exits.  No amount of gaskets apparently could keep her dry but maybe that was addressed (and only related to me).  That and the Cone of Silence was free to come to the US so went that route.  Great ride though and good luck! 

I have all the rig dimensions as measured by a true NERD.  It won’t let me attach the photos or paste them in here.  “Someone” wanted to make new sails for the boat but we never did.   The guys at Doyle Salem will know exactly what the boat needs after Sailing on the boat for years and never getting to make sails.

The boat badly needs a backstay deflector to get less Etchells-like headstay sag.  The prod could be half as long  (~6’) and fixed on center and the boat would still rip.  BUT you can have a blast with it just as it is. 

6EE2D33E-C0DC-475D-BB76-366B2ECA7AE2.jpeg

5 hours ago, BMP said:

Great to see Rumours back in action (but Midwest is truly where all old cool boats end up sooner or later...so it seems).  Looked at buying Rumors way back when but heard too many stories about her trying to sink herself because of the aperture where the pole exits.  No amount of gaskets apparently could keep her dry but maybe that was addressed (and only related to me).  That and the Cone of Silence was free to come to the US so went that route.  Great ride though and good luck! 

I remember climbing around in the bow and making a few changes when we did the other mods, but for the life of me can't remember exactly what we did.  It did make the gaps smaller I think and we also tried to reduce the friction so the pole could be moved under moderate load.  We also had a little canvas bow condom that we would put on if on a long slog through waves to keep water ingress down.

On 9/29/2017 at 0:38 PM, A-NU-START said:

Anyone have a cellphone shot of the photo of Rumors from the bathroom of the IYAC?

IMG_0578.jpg

THANK YOU to everyone for all the info!! it is greatly appreciated!!  I will be reaching out to everyone ASAP. Trying to get the boat figured out abit

before it freezes!  Keep that info flowing!

20 hours ago, Gollywabbler said:

I have all the rig dimensions as measured by a true NERD.  It won’t let me attach the photos or paste them in here.  “Someone” wanted to make new sails for the boat but we never did.   The guys at Doyle Salem will know exactly what the boat needs after Sailing on the boat for years and never getting to make sails.

The boat badly needs a backstay deflector to get less Etchells-like headstay sag.  The prod could be half as long  (~6’) and fixed on center and the boat would still rip.  BUT you can have a blast with it just as it is. 

6EE2D33E-C0DC-475D-BB76-366B2ECA7AE2.jpeg

AMAZING!!!   THAT is Freakin' AWESOME!!!

22 hours ago, ibsailn said:

I remember climbing around in the bow and making a few changes when we did the other mods, but for the life of me can't remember exactly what we did.  It did make the gaps smaller I think and we also tried to reduce the friction so the pole could be moved under moderate load.  We also had a little canvas bow condom that we would put on if on a long slog through waves to keep water ingress down.

We had a Stomp 38 for a while (now in NZ) and we used a wetsuit neoprene sleeve which was pretty easy to fabricate - probably nee to replace it each season because of UV degradation.

13 minutes ago, 42 South said:

We had a Stomp 38 for a while (now in NZ) and we used a wetsuit neoprene sleeve which was pretty easy to fabricate - probably nee to replace it each season because of UV degradation.

Same as I have been doing on the Viper 830.  Now Rumors was born with a swinging dick which is a bit tougher to get waterproof

6 hours ago, Mayhem said:

THANK YOU to everyone for all the info!! it is greatly appreciated!!  I will be reaching out to everyone ASAP. Trying to get the boat figured out abit

before it freezes!  Keep that info flowing!

It took me a moment to connect the dots, if you guys ever need crew, Freddy and I are willing to make the drive. 

On 10/3/2017 at 5:39 AM, BMP said:

CONE!

On 10/4/2017 at 10:22 AM, Christian said:

Same as I have been doing on the Viper 830.  Now Rumors was born with a swinging dick which is a bit tougher to get waterproof

Same as the Stomp setup, with the pole canting each side, but the neoprene wetsuit gasket worked fine. We used a local wetsuit manufacturer to cut and sew a replacement for what was on the boat when we purchased it. OP, let me know if you want a photo - I may have one somewhere.

15 hours ago, phizzle said:

Hi

Tomo is back in New Zealand , email me and ill give you his details

cheers Phizzle,    phizzle@uksailmakers.com

Giz a Job?  :P

Wetsuit neoprene with some sticky back sewn to it works great.  Need to be replaced every year.  you have an amazing machine on your hands.  

On 10/4/2017 at 9:37 PM, 42 South said:

Same as the Stomp setup, with the pole canting each side, but the neoprene wetsuit gasket worked fine. We used a local wetsuit manufacturer to cut and sew a replacement for what was on the boat when we purchased it. OP, let me know if you want a photo - I may have one somewhere.

LOVE TO see a photo and/or any other info suggestions you may Have!

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Mayhem said:

LOVE TO see a photo and/or any other info suggestions you may Have!

Thanks!

After anything in particular? The biggest problem we had on this boat was that the keel was designed to be raised in a centre board case but it didn't have the gear to do this. The keel was secured by two stainless pins about half way down the case and the top of the keel had a carbon-fibre plate which was meant to hold it in position - a minor design flaw was that they used cheap stainless steel 1/4' bolts tapped into the glass to hold the top plate in position - this failed when crossing Bass Strait on its maiden delivery on a pitch black night. Same thing happened a year or two later when the new owner took delivery. You can see the keel in my avatar....

Thommo T980 in Melbourne, Aus. Same deal, swinging Di#@, similar solution, wetsuit leg or arm with a stainless steel ring to hold it in place. Theres enough stretch in the neoprene to allow the pole to swivel.

5a97c467ebba9_SportscarT980Action.thumb.jpg.8b1dc4637c036ef1a6694a1258206d74.jpg