• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

On 02/10/2017 at 3:40 PM, nav said:

If GD is banging on about the AC50 being dangerous at the top of it's specified wind range, (and remember that RC said it would need to have 2 wings in the future), there will obviously already be a plan to avoid the same thing in AC36. Will he put a tight wind-range on the AC36 mono? Unlikely given the weather systems affecting Auckland, so to avoid loosing too many races/race days, there'll either need to be multiple wings - or soft sails.

Adding in the suggested crew size and the stated desire improve or update monos generally, I would say soft sails are far more likely.

Yer, I think that's where TNZ / LR are coming from, sure it will be soft sails, in Auckland. They are looking at a boat for all weathers. Although the foiling cats with the wing sails looked good, they were not really seaworthy. We only saw them in San Fran bay and Bermuda Great sound, hardly ocean courses.

Would not of lasted in the Hauraki Gulf or off Rhode Island in a blow, and the Freemantle Doctor would of certainly killed them.

However if if did end up in Italy in the Med. who knows. Bottom line is the sail is the easiest thing to change on a boat.

On 9/30/2017 at 8:56 AM, rh2600 said:

Good on you for reading it :-)

29.3 - How else would you suggest this is covered? Interestingly for the Match RNZYS is covering all overages even though there will be a challenger, so this seems pretty fair right?

38.7 - "in consultation with the competitor" this is more about "you must agree a time to let us get some promo stills, videos and interviews" rather than "you are required at all times to let us be out on the water with x-ray vision"

53.1/20.1 COR/D must to agree though right? Surely that makes it an independent, assuming COR/D are not in cahoots with each other (which might be your point, but again, who would you want to decide on this? The other challengers are unlikely to easily agree easily / in time etc.) AC35 Protocol had HIYC as the other decider until they bailed and then GGYC had to switch to a 'challenger committee'. Why should this be any different in regards do agreeing with COR assuming they still exist?

42 B.2 betrays that fact that much of this document was written with Flickr was still a thing! ;-)

29.3 Covered in entirety by the Defender, or at least the COR
38.7 Ok - we'll see on that one
53.1/20.1 AC35 was fairer, where the COR/D selected the Chairman and then the Competitor forum were involved and active in the final appointments - this is no longer the case. In the case of any arbitration it's weighted heavily in the favour of the COR/D - 36th protocol is a bit of a mess in this area.

lol @ flickr

3 hours ago, MischiefBDA said:

29.3 Covered in entirety by the Defender, or at least the COR
38.7 Ok - we'll see on that one
53.1/20.1 AC35 was fairer, where the COR/D selected the Chairman and then the Competitor forum were involved and active in the final appointments - this is no longer the case. In the case of any arbitration it's weighted heavily in the favour of the COR/D - 36th protocol is a bit of a mess in this area.

lol @ flickr

29.3 Defender isn't responsible for the Challenger series this time round - so would need to be COR - seems they have then decided for participants to underwrite, fair point you raise, I guess it will come down to good faith. Interesting to see if this becomes a sticking point for other challengers.

38.7 - We look forward to the stabilised 4k FLIR images ;-)

53.1/20.1 - But only as a result of the COR no longer existing, in essence Oracle was forced into that state, and happily gained poodle-behaviour as an upside. So really OTUSA and ETNZ have the same original position. It's no less a mess than any previous COR/D protocol that I can recall - and I'd argue that AC35 was extremely messy when it came to all challengers.

THANKS ALL!  Couldnt' do it without ya.  the whole forum even got a shoutout from Dalts, specifically Stingray.

Oct 4, 2017

The 7 times Volvo Ocean Race competitor and first time America’s Cup winner talks about the obstacles faced by Emirates Team New Zealand on the road to Bermuda, and spends more than an hour with host Alan Block going over the plans for the next America’s Cup in Auckland, NZ. They talk boat choice, venue choice, and much, much more in this long-overdue chat between to bald guys with gravelly voices.

Show Notes:

00:00-10:27 Intro
11:27 Who wrote the protocol and explanation of its genesis
13:17 Off-water battles in the Bermuda Cup buildup, and obstacles thrown up by Coutts & friends
14:47 Why should challengers trust you to be more fair as organizer than the America’s Cup Event Authority were to ETNZ?
15:34 “The most ridiculous stacking of the deck in modern times came from Alinghi"
15:57 How much has Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron been involved in the protocol process?
16:57 About the Cup’s national NZ road show coming up
18:07 Why is it OK to take the Cup to a boat show but not a car show?
18:57 How the RNZYS will help lessen the load for Dalton and the TNZ staff.
20:57 What information did you base your decision to go to a monohull? What's the real motivation?
25:57 The density of breeze in Auckland and the frailty of the Cup cats. Dalts: "16 knots here would pull an AC50 to pieces"
26:41 On NZ’s huge tech advantage in Bermuda. “For the life of me I can't figure out how all the other teams were so far behind us"
26:57 How keeping the AC50 would almost definitely guarantee another TNZ win
28:07 How many concepts are being considered for the actual boat? Are ETNZ consulting with other potential challengers besides Luna Rossa?
30:03 Does the design rule schedule mean TNZ and Luna Rossa get an unreasonable head start over other challengers?
30:57 Why can't you say whether or not the boat will lift out of the water?
31:57 Would you lose Glenn and Burling and the other speed junkie tech heads if you go to a heavier, more conventional type of boat?
32:47 Ashby's huge beard and his two months on walkabout
34:07 Dalts' motorcycle crash in the Isle of Man TT
36:02 Bicycle grinders and the openness of the AC36 design rule. "We have no intention of banning bicycles"
38:52 Box rules vs open Rules, and the element in the next AC of "one-design supplied parts”. Don’t want to stop innovation in areas that can help the average yacht racer, eventually.
41:30 Clean's disappointment with the residency requirement, and Dalts explanation of what he thinks people are misunderstanding about the new nationality/residency rule.
43:24 Finding the balance between a rule that would exclude many countries and one that will help reduce the mercenary culture in the sport, and how to get teams to look to their own countrymen first for crew.
48:07 Dalts: "They commit to a team and a country rather than a worldwide circus where they're guns for hire to an owner who doesn't realize he's getting ripped off"
48:57 Surrogate boats, regatta schedules, and high entry fees for the pre-regattas. "This will allow us to create a financial pool so we don't have to be beholden to a city for funds.” Dalton says ACWS events were driven by venue fees in bad places or at bad times for sailing. “Make it great for the yachties, and the rest is easy."
52:27 With the residency requirements and lack of venue certainty right now, how does ETNZ ensure teams spend enough time in Auckland to justify the money the venue will have to spend to prepare for the Cup?
53:42 Dalts' sample schedule for Challengers.
57:12 Is the Italian Option really just Dalts holding Auckland's feet to the fire? What's with the natural disaster thing?
59:05 Two boat testing for ETNZ and no one else? How about a defender challenge?
60:58 There are ways around two-boat bans, but it might not help anyone. Dalts: "SoftBank was Oracles B boat, but they couldn't get it up to speed fast enough"
61:42 Fan questions begin: Soft sails or hard sails? Hybrids?
62:51 Limiting electronics? More PlayStation type controls? Dalts analogy for ac35: "Oracle were still a mobile phone and we were a supercomputer"
64:27 Sailhandling, stored power and the team's philosophical problem with combustion engines on AC boats.
65:37 What happened with the AC34 and 35 Facebook pages and videos? Were they stolen?
67:06 IF you can get the media back, will you publish all the video from those Cups for free to the world?
67:57 who owns the Liveline graphics system and do you intend to have them back in the mix for the worldwide audience?
69:02 Free to air distribution for AC36!
74:37 Omega time, Swiss Timing, and how am entirely new graphics system might be going into the AC46 broadcast
76:27 Entry period closes before venue announced. How is that ok? (Answer, it might not be).
77:57 What are you looking to get from Auckland and the NZ government to make the event possible?
80:01 How much will a basic, unembarassing campaign cost? "People will still spend 160 million" to try to win
81:38 Biggest sponsorship mistake made by most campaigns
82:57 Happy to see Louis Vuitton go, or will you miss them?
84:07 Burlington vs Tuke, Mark Turner’s shock departure from the Volvo Ocean Race, and Dalts’ picks for the 2017 VOR
86:42 Uniting the major races, World Sailing, and where the sport is headed at the pinnacle.
87:42 Exactly what they're releasing in November and how Dalts will judge whether it was the kind of technological success he hopes for.
88:47 What's by far the most read site in New Zealand (guess?), AC Anarchist Stingray gets a shoutout, and out.

Read more at http://www.sailinganarchy.libsyn.com/#ruqXrv41zt6M4ImV.99

OK I'll bite.

Some interesting stuff there.

Dalts putting blame for missing AC Youtube disappearance on Russell/ACAlphabet.

Sounds like a wing mast + soft rear.

Given his apparent centralness to the success of this AC campaign especially in early planning I'm pretty iffy about no Gashby involvement to date.

Pretty harsh on the Orifice/Oracle Japan programme 'foils wrong, controls wrong, wing wrong' ouch :o

Not heard a peep from LV. But also means they didn't reach out to LV either.

No engines but not ruled out batteries either.

I like the sound of the pre-event stuff ie put it in places that are first good for sailing so that the sailing will be good -> worth actually watching.

That'll shut them up, for about 5 minutes...

But in all seriousness a pretty transparent conversation, interesting that a new boat is regarded as making it fairer, and his experience with the other races like Volvo being fair is a damn good point.

Even conceded that they may have made a mistake with some of the scheduling.

Fundamentally GD, ETNZ and most of their supporters believe in the idea of winning the cup in a fair comp (through being the fastest boat, even as defender), as to opposed to just keeping it via unfair advantage (and engineered through whatever evil devious schemes one can deploy) - there's not fun, no grace, no satisfaction, and no respect in that.

^^^ It's up and it's good. Well worth a listen.

1 hour ago, hoom said:

OK I'll bite.

Some interesting stuff there.

Dalts putting blame for missing AC Youtube disappearance on Russell/ACAlphabet.

Sounds like a wing mast + soft rear.

Given his apparent centralness to the success of this AC campaign especially in early planning I'm pretty iffy about no Gashby involvement to date.

Pretty harsh on the Orifice/Oracle Japan programme 'foils wrong, controls wrong, wing wrong' ouch :o

Not heard a peep from LV. But also means they didn't reach out to LV either.

No engines but not ruled out batteries either.

I like the sound of the pre-event stuff ie put it in places that are first good for sailing so that the sailing will be good -> worth actually watching.

All good stuff.

For me: Boat will be in a Box, which is great news. Some components may be "supplied parts" as in OD.

Good job asking about the bulb. 

Now one can imagine their 2 options are: with and without ballasted keel (?)

3 wasn't it.

Taking a punt:

- Full time foiling with battery powered controls

- As far as the think they can push it with out stored power

- None foiling trad match racer on steriods

Only listened to about 35 min of the GD interview on my drive into work this morning.  Nothing earth shattering to that point accept when GD talks about the "shenanigans" that Oracle put ETNZ through leading up to ETNZ's arrival in Bermuda.  The surprising bit for me was GD saying, when asked by Clean (starting at 14:30), that he couldn't guarantee ETNZ wouldn't put a Challenger for AC36 through the same "shenanigans".  

WetHog  :ph34r:

Some interesting points wrt foils. Seems to be quite a challenge to make them work in a way that doesn't make the performance too uneven depending on wind angle and speed

Finished the rest of the interview.  Hearing GD talk and explain things makes the difference.  I still have reservations but GD earned the benefit of the doubt from me based on this interview.  For now. ;)

One issue I have, I didn't get any credit for the venue announcement 2 months after the challenger entry ends question from Clean or GD. :lol:

WetHog  :ph34r: 

1 hour ago, WetHog said:

Finished the rest of the interview.  Hearing GD talk and explain things makes the difference.  I still have reservations but GD earned the benefit of the doubt from me based on this interview.  For now. ;)

GD has always done a very good job of explaining his own view of things.

Am a little disappointed the subject of the independence of the Arb Panel and Race Management wasn't brought up but perhaps it was unnecessary since the Protocol already lays it out very nicely and since the people who get selected likely will be reputable.

All in all a great interview! Here's hoping Clean keeps up with the good access.

3 hours ago, WetHog said:

One issue I have, I didn't get any credit for the venue announcement 2 months after the challenger entry ends question from Clean or GD. :lol:

Good point, Hoggie. Well done. I think GD said it might have been a fuck-up. 

3 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

sorry hoggy, but I did ask it almost verbatim!

It's fine.  I am sure I wasn't the only one who asked that question.  

Ultimately, as Peter Huston likes to point out on here, I am a nobody hiding behind a screen name. 

3 hours ago, WetHog said:

Am not sure if TE also saw your post but he may have and also touched on it in the FB video at here

https://www.sailingillustrated.com/single-post/2017/10/03/Tuesdays-with-TFE-Watch-a-replay-of-todays-Facebook-Live-show-detailing-the-AC36-Protocol-the-Pac52-Cup-and-more

iirc TE also mentions having touched bases with Russell Green (ETNZ lawyer) on a point or two, one of them may have been the same item.

10 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Good point, Hoggie. Well done. I think GD said it might have been a fuck-up. 

He did say it was a mistake.  A surprising one as well considering all the I and T crossing requried crafting an AC protocol after the court crap.  He acknowledges it and hopefully it will be rectified in the future. 

Just now, WetHog said:

He did say it was a mistake.  A surprising one as well considering all the I and T crossing requried crafting an AC protocol after the court crap.  He acknowledges it and hopefully it will be rectified in the future. 

I think he also said something about changing one of the dates - maybe the close of entries IIRC - and possibly overlooking the ramifications on the venue confirmation date.

Or maybe I made it up? ;)

5 hours ago, WetHog said:

Only listened to about 35 min of the GD interview on my drive into work this morning.  Nothing earth shattering to that point accept when GD talks about the "shenanigans" that Oracle put ETNZ through leading up to ETNZ's arrival in Bermuda.  The surprising bit for me was GD saying, when asked by Clean (starting at 14:30), that he couldn't guarantee ETNZ wouldn't put a Challenger for AC36 through the same "shenanigans".  

It's a bit like you guaranteeing you won't be at your missus hoggie.

You never have, have no intention of doing so, but there is still a mathematical chance.

In effect I think he was simply saying that they are doing their best to avoid it, but nothing is guaranteed. Add to that that Benny is already whinging and no shenanigans have thus far transpired.

3 minutes ago, jaysper said:

It's a bit like you guaranteeing you won't be at your missus hoggie.

You never have, have no intention of doing so, but there is still a mathematical chance.

In effect I think he was simply saying that they are doing their best to avoid it, but nothing is guaranteed. Add to that that Benny is already whinging and no shenanigans have thus far transpired.

GD won't guarantee ETNZ won't act like Oracle towards others Challengers is a surprising statement.  And puts how Oracle treated ETNZ into a different perspective.

Just now, WetHog said:

GD won't guarantee ETNZ won't act like Oracle towards others Challengers is a surprising statement.  And puts how Oracle treated ETNZ into a different perspective.

Oh ffs...

4 minutes ago, WetHog said:

OMG you are right!

GD has gone to the dark side!

Just now, Barnyb said:

OMG you are right!

GD has gone to the dark side!

I'm not saying he will go to the dark side, but whatever Oracle did to him wasn't so bad that he can't guarantee he won't do it himself.  That is an interesting statement, to me at least. 

WetHog  :ph34r: 

30 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Not convinced dude. Maybe we can wait and see before hanging them from the yard arm?

26 minutes ago, WetHog said:

I'm not saying he will go to the dark side, but whatever Oracle did to him wasn't so bad that he can't guarantee he won't do it himself.  That is an interesting statement, to me at least. 

GD said something like 'We can't because of the Protocol, so we won't, manipulate the deck.' And then he brought up CNEV as the biggest modern example one could point to, 'Alinghi having their own yacht club so they could completely dominate the rules - and it would have worked if they had read the Deed a bit better.' So you may be reading more into it than what GD intended to convey.

16 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

THANKS ALL!  Couldnt' do it without ya.  the whole forum even got a shoutout from Dalts, specifically Stingray.

The shoutout was pretty good, humorous but also a bit of a shot across the bows at Clean, something like 'Read the Protocol better before you come up with some of these questions!' (lol) and then about 'I'll be walking down the hallway and someone says 'We all need get away from reading Sailing Anarchy, Stingray & Friends, and try to think for ourselves!' Lmao! Clever.

55 minutes ago, WetHog said:

There's a little more nuance to it than that ~ it's a shame he wouldn't elaborate given how much of it has been talked about privately in AC circles - but it wasn't just Oracle that was messing with them behind the scenes which is why I think he said what he said.  While ETNZ may not want to pull that shit, PB has made it clear he's his own man so that's why I don't think he could give the blanket guarantee that you would expect.

28 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Not convinced dude. Maybe we can wait and see before hanging them from the yard arm?

Who is hanging him from a yard arm, Brah?  Just said it was a surprising statement and if GD can't guarantee he won't pull an Oracle on another Challenger than what Oracle did to GD wasn't that big a deal.  

29 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

So you may be reading more into it than what GD intended to convey.

Most likely.  Like what I read into the Challenger entry closing 2 months before the venue announcement.  ;)

Still surprising to me he couldn't say without a doubt he wouldn't pull an Oracle but whatever.  Whats done is done.  

2 minutes ago, ezyb said:

There's a little more nuance to it than that ~ it's a shame he wouldn't elaborate given how much of it has been talked about privately in AC circles - but it wasn't just Oracle that was messing with them behind the scenes which is why I think he said what he said.  While ETNZ may not want to pull that shit, PB has made it clear he's his own man so that's why I don't think he could give the blanket guarantee that you would accept.

Now the Patrizio the Poodle angle makes sense.  Makes total sense.  

Having said that, why the fuck can GD not elaborate more on what went down from Oracle and others?  He says he doesn't want to tick off whatever, or gloat after the fact.  I don't get the secrecy when it comes to stuff like that unless people have their lips legally zipped shut. 

^ Or GD sees it as a total waste of time and effort to re-litigate it.

If that's his motivation, I agree with him.

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

^ Or GD sees it as a total waste of time and effort to re-litigate it.

If that's his motivation, I agree with him.

What he said, on both counts.

With no 'gag order' in the AC36 Protocol there will be plenty of in your face shit fighting ahead to look forward to - for those into that kinda thang.

1 hour ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Lmao! Clever.

Another good line in there was when answering to Clean's Q about if there are ideas to coalesce the boat around other events (fishing for hints at the boat to come, etc) and GD said there'd been a conversation just that morning about it but he took it a different direction and praised the Fair Rules of the VOR and Vendee, as suggestion it is a part of any coalescing with other events. And then he asked 'I mean why should those look normal but the AC look like a 'Pantomime of Witches' ? That was funny too, he was on a bit of a roll.

2 hours ago, WetHog said:

Having said that, why the fuck can GD not elaborate more on what went down from Oracle and others?  He says he doesn't want to tick off whatever, or gloat after the fact.  I don't get the secrecy when it comes to stuff like that unless people have their lips legally zipped shut. 

For my mind, its no different that the Orifice cheated in San Fran bullshit.

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't but who gives a fuck now? Its done and dusted - focussing on it now benefits nobody so who gives a shit?

50 minutes ago, jaysper said:

For my mind, its no different that the Orifice cheated in San Fran bullshit.

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't but who gives a fuck now? Its done and dusted - focussing on it now benefits nobody so who gives a shit?

Yup, it's done. Still an interesting statement though. ;)

26 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Yup, it's done. Still an interesting statement though. ;)

Hoggie, you just KNOW that statements like this are begging for the likes of Spindio et al to keep harping on about how Orifice cheated right?

Don't say I didn't warn you - yet another 4 years of bleating on about it.

Shit, they will likely be bleating on about it during AC 46! ;)

Great interview Clean. A lot of references to F1 in the interview so i thought these two links might be relevant. It seems even F1 doesn’t get paid for TV rights in the US! An America’s Cup broadcast solely over the internet, without any pay tv fuckery, we can only hope!

https://f1broadcasting.co/2017/10/04/f1s-digital-strategy-unfolds-as-conflict-with-tv-model-takes-centre-stage/

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2017/10/04/F1.aspx?

Nice one Clean. Thanks. I've not heard that much innerviewing around the AC from anyone to anyone in years.

Hope you are bugging the Ed to make Sailing Anarchy a key part of the open access delivery of media over the next three years?

Any way you can get permission from Dalits to host the vids here from what the guys have got on torrents etc at least until the finks return the real ones?

Hi Clean, another request/hope: can you secure another session after the VPP model gets released with Dalts, or Dan or anyone to talk through the concepts?

Really Great Work Clean!

Not just the production but getting Dalts to be so engaged.

Thanks!

fs

And I'd like to add my thanks as well. Thank gawd he's keeping a caveat back to stop Ben selling coverage to BT again. 

^ I had a good laugh at that until I remembered BT was usually the main feed I used for AC35 due to the crappy NBC coverage here in the US!  But it sounds like ETNZ has plans to do away with the TV rights BS for the most part and just make it available on widely accessible online platforms (I liked his dig at the stupid AC app) which will be a big win for us all if it pans out.

2 hours ago, HFC Hunter said:

Hi Clean, another request/hope: can you secure another session after the VPP model gets released with Dalts, or Dan or anyone to talk through the concepts?

Not a problem, also working on some outside designers to comment.  Might put together a talk show panel at METS...

Just had a listen and it was one of the better ones in my opinion, up with the interview you did with Kenny whilst in the latter legs during the VOR a few years back

Great to see Dalts getting engaged and expanding the conversation and you just sitting back and listening to him talk.

Good work, mate.

4 hours ago, Swanno said:

Just had a listen and it was one of the better ones in my opinion, up with the interview you did with Kenny whilst in the latter legs during the VOR a few years back

Great to see Dalts getting engaged and expanding the conversation and you just sitting back and listening to him talk.

Good work, mate.

Agree.  Downloaded and thought "An hour and a half...?  When on earth am I going to find time to listen to that?"  Listened to the first 10 minutes and then made time for the rest.  

Looking forward to the 30th of November now!

Yep, good work - just a shame all the hidden background from AC34/35 was taken 'off the record'.

If there was anything significant in there Alan, you could try to get it from another source now that you know where to look right!?

On 02/10/2017 at 5:23 AM, nav said:

He's always either to pushy or too weak for you right?

He is not insisting, he is negotiating and trying to achieve a good result for the city, the country, the team, the event and the visitors.

He has used three 'ploys' towards those ends, one: announcing an alternative (as per 'the Rome option' in a past AC), two: comparing the significance of the teams achievements to those of other NZ World Champions, three: future benefits.

They all just need to get on with it now.....

Bases hanging from the bridge - problem solved! :D

All Northern Hemisphere teams in and around Onehunga. Southern Hemisphere teams in or around the viaduct.  Except Australia. They can be based at home as it's pretty close anyway... 

Sorted. 8)

On 10/5/2017 at 11:58 AM, jaysper said:

Shit, they will likely be bleating on about it during AC 46! ;)

At least we'll have the Auckland venue thing well and truly sorted by then, Jays. It'll be great. ;)

On 10/5/2017 at 8:35 AM, WetHog said:

oh ya, didn't you know? It never happened because 300 people wouldn't keep quite about it, it would have leaked out, yadah yadah, whistleblower act, blah blah