• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, BobBill said:

Good on 'em! Sanity prevails!

Not around here it doesn't. 

However can I assume you like the new protocol ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmmm.

MMP notwithstanding, I guess we are partially sane, some of the time. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jay never have been Ellison person and just s beer swilling spectator...well I sail now and then. In truth, I saw "monohull" and smiled! Me sail in anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BobBill said:

Jay never have been Ellison person and just s beer swilling spectator...well I sail now and then. In truth, I saw "monohull" and smiled! Me sail in anything.

Yes I am pleased with monos although the foiling concept worries me about their ability to match race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys that whine about foilers not being able to match race are just full of horse manure-did you not see 34?? The greatest match racing in history! More lead changes than any other Americas Cup-probably than all other Cups combined. How easily some forget...... 35 was a bit disappointing in the final racing-only because TNZ was so much faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Doug Lord said:

You guys that whine about foilers not being able to match race are just full of horse manure-did you not see 34?? The greatest match racing in history! More lead changes than any other Americas Cup-probably than all other Cups combined. How easily some forget...... 35 was a bit disappointing in the final racing-only because TNZ was so much faster.

AC35 had a lot of lead changes during the CSS, which as normal was more competitive than the Match. One of the races in the Artemis vs SoftBank had (was it??) 9 lead changes!

The concerns around Match racing foiling mono's revolve mostly around if they'd have to swing keels to tack, and/or around if they will have dangerous, Ben Hur style, appendages sticking out the sides too.

The foiling multi's were dangerous enough even with the foils under the platform. Can you imagine an incident like the BAR/SBTJ collision, but with protruding foils involved? Yikes!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2017 at 10:33 AM, BobBill said:

Good on 'em! Sanity prevails!

Clearly you haven't read the entire protocol.  Then again there are degrees of sanity, right?

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

AC35 had a lot of lead changes during the CSS, which as normal was more competitive than the Match. One of the races in the Artemis vs SoftBank had (was it??) 9 lead changes!

The concerns around Match racing foiling mono's revolve mostly around if they'd have to swing keels to tack, and/or around if they will have dangerous, Ben Hur style, appendages sticking out the sides too.

The foiling multi's were dangerous enough even with the foils under the platform. Can you imagine an incident like the BAR/SBTJ collision, but with protruding foils involved? Yikes!!!

The Welbourn "Q" foils could be under wide racks which might reduce the perceived danger. There is HUGE design space for large foiling keelboats-the results could be nothing short of stunning.......

NZAC ONE     9-25-17  dl 002.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Dough Lord,

what happens WHEN the boat comes off the foils and a crew member is thrown off the front of the racks into the DIRECT path of the foil?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, See Level said:

So Dough Lord,

what happens WHEN the boat comes off the foils and a crew member is thrown off the front of the racks into the DIRECT path of the foil?

I'm no huge foiler fan, but that's at least as simple as anything DL might have said in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now dougie will start posting his design on every single AC thread... here we go again. Two more months of this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jorge said:

Now dougie will start posting his design on every single AC thread... here we go again. Two more months of this...

+1

Did not mean to raise the dead...Que sera, sera...gods notwithstanding. Shoot me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Doug Lord said:

You guys that whine about foilers not being able to match race are just full of horse manure-did you not see 34?? The greatest match racing in history! More lead changes than any other Americas Cup-probably than all other Cups combined. How easily some forget...... 35 was a bit disappointing in the final racing-only because TNZ was so much faster.

and more manoeuvrable and faster tacking and more stable and with more usable power on tap and with better wing control and better foil control and more streamlined and with more of the crew involved in actively sailing the boat who were less physically stressed and who could coordinate manoeuvres from anywhere in the boat and with a less distracted helm and with a better shore-side team, so yeah added up they were 'faster' around the track, in most races, but they didn't put Jimmy's Boyz in irons with speed now did they.

But who cares about details....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The match racing in AC35 was lost because the races were over in the blink of an eye!  The tactics were there, its just 20 minutes is not long enough to truly feel engaged with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BobBill said:

+1

Did not mean to raise the dead...Que sera, sera...gods notwithstanding. Shoot me!

You mean THREE MORE FUCKING YEARS.

Even after the REAL class rules come out, he will continue to insist that this diagram is the TRUE class rule and that we are all fucking mistaken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2017 at 9:56 AM, Boybland said:

The match racing in AC35 was lost because the races were over in the blink of an eye!  The tactics were there, its just 20 minutes is not long enough to truly feel engaged with them.

Burling's tactics involved deciding beforehand how much lead they were going to concede to OR-Xerox. Spithill's tactics was believing his "legendary" starting prowess could overcome a dog of a boat.B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now