• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Halcyon Yachts

A big project!

This guy is either insane or has been hired by someone who is insane.  You have to be insane to own a wooden boat.  Actually, you have to be either insane or in love and it helps to be both.

54 minutes ago, allene222 said:

This guy is either insane or has been hired by someone who is insane.  You have to be insane to own a wooden boat.  Actually, you have to be either insane or in love and it helps to be both.

There is a reason God made fiberglass.

Geez, the dedication is real. Not only to the project but the damn documentation of it as well.

I sure hope he is successful.  I just wonder what the deal is.  He certainly is not making money off those videos.  I make nothing off mine even with 50,000 views.  Well, I think I made thirteen cents or something.

I should mention for anyone who doesn't know, I have a wood boat,  Some of what he was doing looked all too familiar although mine never got quite to that condition.

Don't know what his plan is, but there certainly is a market for classic wooden yachts.

Two rules though to attract wealthy buyers.

1- Have a strong pedigree and the "stories" to go with it

2- Be restored to "Bristol fashion"

Tally Ho certainly fully fulfill "rule 1"

Good luck to him.

Jesus, I thought my timber boat project was big, good luck dude, and I mean it, I hope you get a great deal of fulfilment out of the work you are doing.

It took us five years to rebuild the Vets For Peace Golden Rule, and that was only 30 feet on deck. 

After that, I told my wife to shoot me if I ever bought my own wooden boat. 

Still . . . helping with the Golden Rule was just about the best time and money I ever spent. 

http://www.vfpgoldenruleproject.org/history/

Thanks for posting this, it looks like it will be a really good series. For being so young he seems to have a good amount of experience. He also has tons of energy, but I cant see how one person could hope to finish this project in any amount of time less than a decade. It also reminds me of my great grandfathers axe. The handle has been replaced 5 times and the head three. But it is still his axe.

I hope this works out and they can sustain making the videos. It would be the all time most epic wooden boat restoration series. At least he has a really good site and a good shop and he knows what he's doing. Assuming he has continued funding it will be interesting to see how fast he can go. The are huge projects but how many people can really work on them full time either. Maybe this will happen.

Does anyone remember Captain Zanatta doing a rebuild in Nicaragua a few years ago. He was posting regularly on the wooden boat forum. It ended really badly with loss of the boat due to government matters and other issues and what made it doubly tragic was how the great the story was going as he was doing it and writing about it really well.

On 2017-09-29 at 4:44 PM, Rum Runner said:

There is a reason God made fiberglass frozen snot.

Fixed for you.

Massive undertaking in Tally Ho.  Seems a very talented kid, sure hope his funds hold out for the project.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's doing it off his own bat and will be joining Ashley Butler in the boatbuilders-who-have-built/restored-their-liveaboard club. In that vein, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the hull, deck and rig done (only!), and then puts her back in the water a very rudimentary interior. He does mention some funding from the Albert Strange Society, IIRC.

I do just wonder about the workshop - whether it's lent or what. But anybody who can basically live for nothing, eating out of supermarket rubbish bins, in the pursuit of a dream/plan is a pretty determined guy.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/man-went-bin-diving-bristol-21465

On 9/29/2017 at 10:25 PM, casc27 said:

What's the difference?

You know you're in love when she slaps you on the arse and says"You're in, Love."

Bloody neighbors reported him to the Building Inspector's office.  Seems no matter where you live there's always a prick for a neighbor close by.

Ehh, Sequim's got some passive/aggressive types out there....

Comedy Neighbor.jpg

4 hours ago, SampsonBoatCo said:

Thanks for all your interest and support, all!

Noble, worthy project.  Excellent coverage as well.  Keep it coming.  

An extra pair of hands would make a huge difference to this guy. I recall the aluminum dude in Scandanavia getting lots of help, plus SV Seeker is over-subscribed with assistance. And those lovely gals who visited in past videos, where the hell are they? He reminds me of Nike and her boat Karl, determined to do it on his own.

On 10/17/2017 at 8:03 AM, SampsonBoatCo said:

Thanks for all your interest and support, all!

awesome project man, keep the videos coming, and tell the inspector to fuck off !!

Thanks for all your support and encouragement, all! Much appreciated..

Here is my latest video, as I take a few days away from Tally Ho to deliver the three-masted Schooner Adix... Its a bit of a diversion, I'm afraid, but gives an interesting insight into what it's like to sail a unique boat, and it's all in the name of gathering funds to restore Tally Ho.

Thanks for watching!

http://sampsonboat.co.uk/removing-her-keel/

E
dit; I can't work out how to embed youtube videos on this forum. I'm being dumb (impatient), but if someone wants to do it (& explain), that'd be cool :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SampsonBoatCo said:

Edit; I can't work out how to embed youtube videos on this forum. I'm being dumb (impatient), but if someone wants to do it (& explain), that'd be cool

In Youtube, select the share button.  Copy and paste here.  It will load automatically.

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 5.37.17 PM.png

On 11/9/2017 at 7:24 AM, SampsonBoatCo said:

Thanks for all your support and encouragement, all! Much appreciated..

Here is my latest video, as I take a few days away from Tally Ho to deliver the three-masted Schooner Adix... Its a bit of a diversion, I'm afraid, but gives an interesting insight into what it's like to sail a unique boat, and it's all in the name of gathering funds to restore Tally Ho.

Thanks for watching!

http://sampsonboat.co.uk/removing-her-keel/

E
dit; I can't work out how to embed youtube videos on this forum. I'm being dumb (impatient), but if someone wants to do it (& explain), that'd be cool :) 

Madd respect!   Good luck.   Have subscribed and will be following.

Happy Thanksgiving, Leo. Glad you've got some pleasant company and were able to get some momentum back on the project.

@SampsonBoatCo    Im curious about your background.  How did you learn all these skills to restore this yacht.  Did you apprentice as wood boat shops?  Go to IYRS? Very impressive.