Sign in to follow this  
dacapo

Tom Petty DTS

Recommended Posts

It’s such a heartbreaker 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, TMZ is rarely wrong on these.  They usually don't put sometime out unless they've checked it out well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, silent bob said:

Unfortunately, TMZ is rarely wrong on these.  They usually don't put sometime out unless they've checked it out well!

 

noone else has reported a thing...   LV taking the news for now ,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

everyone les is reporting his heartattack.  TMZ reports they pulled the plug on life support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep...just read it on MSNews as well.  Not many details yet, but apparently some sort of heart failure.  A shame, never one of my true faves, but a legend for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Sad times in Gator country for the gone Gator.  

Yes, incredible talent and a rock star who stayed friendly. I read an interview with him where he told how he finally sold a record, and the publisher sent him a couple thousand dollar advance, he had never had that much money in his life. He went to a used car lot and bought himself a beat-up Camaro.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Son of a BITCH...And he was named after ME!!!

Hard to believe we lost another rock legend, and at at such a young age. I guess Stevie N. was harder on him than originally thought.

Rest in peace my brother!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and now he's freeeeeeeeeeeeee fallin'

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Sad times in Gator country for the gone Gator.  

yeah man... saw him a few times at Backstage Bar and once at Lake Alice field.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dacapo said:

It’s such a heartbreaker 

Yeah... and he won't be comin' 'round here no more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

66..... holy crap.    Didn't see this coming..... RIP Mr Petty, thanks for the great tunes !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta say..... Not only am I saddened by this, but I'm shocked at how old (young) he was. I had thought him a barely older contemporary, not a decade.... Still way too young, and a great loss to the world of real music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, 42 South said:

And don't forget his part with the Traveling Wilburys - what a line up that was....

http://www.travelingwilburys.com/

Tom Petty was interviewed in the film George Harrison Living in the Material World regarding this band,, some pretty awesome stuff on how they put it together and cranked them out..  and also Roy Oberson's death...  They way it went was George Harrison lamented to Tom Petty... " I'm surprised it wasn't you"

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Sad times in Gator country for the gone Gator.  

  Lost a good son there. Has a special place in my heart. At my wedding I noticed "Face in the crowd" on the singer's list and for some reason I picked that as one. She surprised me by doing it acapella, right at the end before the ceremony. Perfect. 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad, loved his stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this case DW(ay)TS

I'm gonna get to the point, I'm gonna roll another joint......and play me some Petty on the stereo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Phuck....

Yea, what he said.....

Phuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

You'll know he's really dead when he registers Democrat and applies for an absentee ballot.

Too soon? 

Loved his work - too many bad things today not to try a smile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

 

You'll know he's really dead when he registers Democrat and applies for an absentee ballot.

Too soon? 

Loved his work - too many bad things today not to try a smile. 

At least he did it in Malibu, and not in SoBay.  I'm tired of hearing all the fucking helicopters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even the shit kicker stations are playing his music tonight.....

 (Here in Gator country)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent about an hour talking to him in Va'Vau abut 15 years ago. He was Tom from Roxanne and I was xxxx from xxxxxx. Talked about weather, routing, etc. After my buddy asked: "Do you know who that was?" "Yeah, Tom Form Roxanne". He set me straight.

Very approachable, nice guy. I'm sure it would have been way different if I went into the "oh, you're a rockstar guy mode..."

Oh yeah, short hair, clean shaved, nice sailor dude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brain dead he could still beat out Mayor of DAGO or Governor of Kalifornia

Not a slight at Tom ..................... jus sayin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sucks... I love his music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Caca Cabeza said:

Spent about an hour talking to him in Va'Vau abut 15 years ago. He was Tom from Roxanne and I was xxxx from xxxxxx. Talked about weather, routing, etc. After my buddy asked: "Do you know who that was?" "Yeah, Tom Form Roxanne". He set me straight.

Very approachable, nice guy. I'm sure it would have been way different if I went into the "oh, you're a rockstar guy mode..."

Oh yeah, short hair, clean shaved, nice sailor dude.

Are you sure about that? This from Wylie's page.

 

ER Doctor, Tom Petty, was looking well into the future when Tom met him in the mid 90’s. He wanted the reverse sheer and sweet handling characteristic of his Moore 24’ but 60’ long. He also wanted to help in the construction process and work alongside Jim Betts in his shop. 

In her first years, Roxanne did an extensive shakedown, including voyaging to the Sea of Cortez and completing a double-handed race to Hawaii with Tom and Skip Allan. Later, Roxanne and the Petty family left the coast to become citizens of the Pacific. Aboard Roxanne, Tom and Lynn home schooled their two sons, Jackson and Tristan. The boys picked New Zealand as their home port for High school. Aluminum, Betts Enterprise Built

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dacapo said:

Wow fucking blown away by this.  I loved his music 

http://m.tmz.com/#2017/10/02/tom-petty-found-unconscious-full-cardiac-arrest/

 

We played "Free Fallin'" "American Girl", and "Mary Jane's Last Dance" at rehearsal Sunday night.   Tom Petty's music is Americana defined - every one likes to sing along.  I'm gutted - this has been a cruddy couple years for musicians I grew up with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my band played at a music fest with this group and they nailed my favorite song of TP's.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dacapo said:

my band played at a music fest with this group and they nailed my favorite song of TP's.

 

 

Rockygrass! Love that fest. I hung out with Bela Fleck for awhile watching acts.

Wait a minute...Never mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dacapo said:

my band played at a music fest with this group and they nailed my favorite song of TP's.

 

 

Nice Cap - fitting cover, great harmony.  Having a tough time with his passing - he was only 15 years older than me.  Reminds me that every song you play might be your last... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Scratchanot said:

66 ain't old.

Sixty-six, and thinking about taking it easy - and enjoying his grandchild.  Shi'ite, you just never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"Got my own way of living, but everything gets done
With a southern accent, where I come from"
Southern Accents  1985

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Travelling Willburys was not a good band to belong to if you were looking to live a long life. Only Jeff Lynne and Mr Zimmerman left now.

RIP another Willbury, Tom Petty.

1981's 'Stop Draggin' my heart around' with Stevie "as long as I have a face she'll be good for somewhere to sit" Nicks is still my favourite rock duet of all time.  Great lyrics, great singing, great guitar licks and keyboard, just a great, great song. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2017 at 6:43 PM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Sixty-six, and thinking about taking it easy - and enjoying his grandchild.  Shi'ite, you just never know.

smoking from age 16 (USA today) and doing heroin for 5 years (NYT) has a way of screwing up your long term plans...

YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2017 at 0:54 PM, austin1972 said:

Rockygrass! Love that fest. I hung out with Bela Fleck for awhile watching acts.

Wait a minute...Never mind.

Petty liked to cover other people's songs too. He was a writer and an outstanding vocalist, not a singer. If you can reach people with that you don't need a good singing voice. Dylan had that stuff too. Petty's voice was a nasal concoction that would have been intolerable if he had lacked that rare gift. People can listen to such people for a moment and feel they know them as well as a brother. 

   I like this one best myself. It's perfect for him, as if it was written about him, and he gives it exactly what the guy who originally wrote it couldn't. 

 

A man impossible to dislike. He will be missed. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch for an 80,000 person tribute from his hometown today, after the third quarter of the UF/LSU game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2017 at 4:48 AM, Foreverslow said:

smoking from age 16 (USA today) and doing heroin for 5 years (NYT) has a way of screwing up your long term plans...

YMMV

...Yeah.

That damn needle continues to rob us.

Learning a lot about Petty, and XM's Tom Petty channel has really opened up their playlist.  The man had an incredible body of work, much more diverse that his usually heard hits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Watch for an 80,000 person tribute from his hometown today, after the third quarter of the UF/LSU game. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our family sat together this morning with the Medical Examiner – Coroner’s office and we were informed of their final analysis that Tom Petty passed away due to an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/tompetty/posts/?ref=page_internal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2017 at 12:43 AM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Sixty-six, and thinking about taking it easy - and enjoying his grandchild.  Shi'ite, you just never know.

Staying away from large amounts very powerful opiates can help a lot, research has shown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Staying away from large amounts very powerful opiates can help a lot, research has shown.

Staying away from "Doctors" who prescribe very powerful opiates can also help a lot, research has shown.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Staying away from large amounts very powerful opiates can help a lot, research has shown.

wine ist notte oppiode is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Staying away from "Doctors" who prescribe very powerful opiates can also help a lot, research has shown.

 

The doctors are not twisting anyone's arm to take it. The worst of them are illegally and unethically responding to a market demand, most of them are trying to relieve peoples pain. Believe it or not some pain goes far beyond the HTFU threshold.  People have responsibility for their actions including.....and in fact especially.....in the matters of their medical care. Opiates are not the problem, people's decisions to take them in cases where it is not necessary is the problem. Opiates can be lifesaving and sanity saving for relief of constant unrelenting pain. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Point Break said:

The doctors are not twisting anyone's arm to take it. The worst of them are illegally and unethically responding to a market demand, most of them are trying to relieve peoples pain. Believe it or not some pain goes far beyond the HTFU threshold.  People have responsibility for their actions including.....and in fact especially.....in the matters of their medical care. Opiates are not the problem, people's decisions to take them in cases where it is not necessary is the problem. Opiates can be lifesaving and sanity saving for relief of constant unrelenting pain. 

more or less that is true

there are people who Must take them to survive the pain

there are people who get needless scripts from multiple Dr's 

and then there are people who get a script Just in Case 

of those some will take it because they think they were told to

and others who will try to HTFU and get by without if they can

 

no need to mention idiots who get other peoples meds one way or the other

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have you ever has a completely broken hip??  I haven;t but I can only imaging how fucking  painful that must be...he made a mistake  trying to stop the pain and paid for it with his life...sad that he wanted so hard to please his fans and continue to tour with that kind of physical pain :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NaptimeAgain said:

I think we would be surprised if a rocker died with no drugs in his/her system. Occupational hazard. 

Cocaine, heroin, booze, speed...... Yeah..... But Dr. prescribed pain meds.... Look at M. Jackson, Prince, Elvis.....

 These guys (And presumably T. Petty, as well) put their trust in the hands of Doctors, not street corner dealers....

 I have no answer, I just have a feeling that some doctors become sales reps for the pharmaceutical companies that boost them....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the clinical term for this is ploypharmacy intoxication..

Probably not the case here, but the problem with this some folks just doctor shop... I see this guy for this, that guy for that, and let's not forget ole Dr. Feelgood, because I don't.  

Even some benign drugs taken for other maladies can cause a shut down if mixed with other...  this is how my BIL went out...

PSA... when they ask what drugs you taking tell them even if it is an occasional OTC.... especially if it is some herbal, free range, organic, natural pill package in a biodegradable, recycled, free market sustainable box...  Believe it or not... some of this shit can kill ya!

Anyway... enjoy

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dacapo said:

have you ever has a completely broken hip??  I haven;t but I can only imaging how fucking  painful that must be...he made a mistake  trying to stop the pain and paid for it with his life...sad that he wanted so hard to please his fans and continue to tour with that kind of physical pain :(

A friend of mine had his artificial hip pop out on the boat once - the only time I've seen someone literally turn grey from pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both my parents had artificial joints. My father's knees due to a combination of play/work and Lyme disease, and my mother's hip after her first round of cancer/chemo, due to a very friendly German Shepard puppy, and ice....

 Dad's knees were pretty much standard excruciating pain..... Mom's hip was a different story. I saw her go gray in the face several times trying to get out of bed to try to get to the bathroom long before her PT told her to try..... Pride goeth before a fall..... But for some people the fall doesn't kill the pride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

A friend of mine had his artificial hip pop out on the boat once - the only time I've seen someone literally turn grey from pain.

I think I have had every major pain save childbirth..  Kidney stones, gall stones, lung surgery,, knee bone graft surgery, knee replacement surgery, heart attacks and several broken hearts in the figurative sense.

The stones and heart attacks turned me a whiter shade of pale and made me sweat profusely.  The rest just hurt like a mother.

Having had a bit of morphine intravenously I completely understand opioid addiction, and heroin and fentanyl are far more potent than morphine.  That shit just makes you feel good!  Maybe someday they will come up with a pain killer that won't fuck you up but for now, nothing can come close to opiods.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I think I have had every major pain save childbirth.

heh heh heh  at first I though you wrote "I think I have had every major pain SINCE childbirth"  :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nacradriver said:

I believe the clinical term for this is ploypharmacy intoxication..

Probably not the case here, but the problem with this some folks just doctor shop... I see this guy for this, that guy for that, and let's not forget ole Dr. Feelgood, because I don't.  

Even some benign drugs taken for other maladies can cause a shut down if mixed with other...  this is how my BIL went out...

PSA... when they ask what drugs you taking tell them even if it is an occasional OTC.... especially if it is some herbal, free range, organic, natural pill package in a biodegradable, recycled, free market sustainable box...  Believe it or not... some of this shit can kill ya!

Anyway... enjoy

 

 

I never pass on watching that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

(snip) Maybe someday they will come up with a pain killer that won't fuck you up but for now, nothing can come close to opiods.(\snip)Well, OPIATES, Mon Frere.

Annoyed an anasthesiologist no end once,  getting set up for a colonoscopy, when I asked "Oi!  Would it be too freakin' much to ask if he'd be slow in pushing the plunger so I could have just a wee minimal three seconds or so to FULLY appreciate the rush from the dynamite cocktail he would would be shoving into my circulatory system!" 

Would've thought I was asking for a sexual meeting with Princess DI! 

Got all soggy and hard to light, he did.

No sense of humour these medical types.

Quote

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Frayed Knot Arts said:

Annoyed an anasthesiologist no end once,  getting set up for a colonoscopy, when I asked "Oi!  Would it be too freakin' much to ask if he'd be slow in pushing the plunger so I could have just a wee minimal three seconds or so to FULLY appreciate the rush from the dynamite cocktail he would would be shoving into my circulatory system!" 

Would've thought I was asking for a sexual meeting with Princess DI! 

Got all soggy and hard to light, he did.

No sense of humour these medical types.

 

Oh yeah, that rush right before the lights go out is wonderful!  I used to work in the medical field so I usually negotiate my anesthesia with the doctor, they don't mind so much if you are in the businesses.  I can understand Michael Jackson's OD death, Propofol is pretty sweet too.  If there were some way to get a doctor to prescribe it easily, I have a feeling that would be killing a lot of people nowadays as well as the opiates.  It is the sedative of choice for short procedures like colonoscopy, etc, it isn't a general anesthetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Mr. Petty’s system showed traces of the drugs fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl.

Fentanyl -opiod for pain

Oxycodone- opiod for pain

Temazepan- anti anxiety or insomnia

Alprazolam- Anti anxieta panic disorder (zanax)

Citalopram- anti depressant (celexa)

Acetyl fentanyl- unlicensed designer drug 15x more potent than morphine

Despropionyl Fentanyl-  Unlicensed designer drug

 

a fucking Molotov cocktail,  no wonder his body finally shut own.   I guess to a point you could blame doctors,  but I'll bet he had several different doctors, and neither one knew what the other was prescribing.  coupled that with any self medication. 

 

Live fast, Die hard...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

  Mr. Petty’s system showed traces of the drugs fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl.

Fentanyl -opiod for pain

Oxycodone- opiod for pain

Temazepan- anti anxiety or insomnia

Alprazolam- Anti anxieta panic disorder (zanax)

Citalopram- anti depressant (celexa)

Acetyl fentanyl- unlicensed designer drug 15x more potent than morphine

Despropionyl Fentanyl-  Unlicensed designer drug

 

a fucking Molotov cocktail,  no wonder his body finally shut own.   I guess to a point you could blame doctors,  but I'll bet he had several different doctors, and neither one knew what the other was prescribing.  coupled that with any self medication. 

 

Live fast, Die hard...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Opiod overdose is a nice quiet death, you just float of into dreamland with a big smile and stop breathing.  Usually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Prine "Sam Stone"

Sam Stone was alone
When he popped his last balloon,
Climbing walls while sitting in a chair.
Well, he played his last request,
While the room smelled just like death,
With an overdose hovering in the air.
But life had lost it's fun,
There was nothing to be done,
But trade his house that he bought on the GI bill,
For a flag-draped casket on a local hero's hill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Opiod overdose is a nice quiet death, you just float of into dreamland with a big smile and stop breathing.  Usually.

Well....there is the anoxic seizure but........few remember it...........:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

  Mr. Petty’s system showed traces of the drugs fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl.

Fentanyl -opiod for pain

Oxycodone- opiod for pain

Temazepan- anti anxiety or insomnia

Alprazolam- Anti anxieta panic disorder (zanax)

Citalopram- anti depressant (celexa)

Acetyl fentanyl- unlicensed designer drug 15x more potent than morphine

Despropionyl Fentanyl-  Unlicensed designer drug

 

a fucking Molotov cocktail,  no wonder his body finally shut own.   I guess to a point you could blame doctors,  but I'll bet he had several different doctors, and neither one knew what the other was prescribing.  coupled that with any self medication. 

 

Live fast, Die hard...

It is sweet of his family to assert it is accidental because of pain though...............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Opiod overdose is a nice quiet death, you just float of into dreamland with a big smile and stop breathing.  Usually.

That's what they said about Dry Ice :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Point Break said:

It is sweet of his family to assert it is accidental because of pain though...............

We’ll im sure he didn’t intend to kill himself.  So I guess that makes it accidental.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son't been learning "Stop dragging my heart around" on the guitar and he's really good but it sucks. Too soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2018 at 11:33 AM, Point Break said:

The doctors are not twisting anyone's arm to take it. The worst of them are illegally and unethically responding to a market demand, most of them are trying to relieve peoples pain. Believe it or not some pain goes far beyond the HTFU threshold.  People have responsibility for their actions including.....and in fact especially.....in the matters of their medical care. Opiates are not the problem, people's decisions to take them in cases where it is not necessary is the problem. Opiates can be lifesaving and sanity saving for relief of constant unrelenting pain. 

Sometimes, calling attention to their prescribing habits can help.

Dear Doctor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my wife's very favorite artist, and certainly one of mine. Gone too soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still dead after all these years.  Almost sounds like a song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 11:39 PM, Willin' said:

Still dead after all these years.  Almost sounds like a song.

Nah, you're crazy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched his "Live from Gatorville"... Good stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites