• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Bus Driver

MAGA!

Making sure the rest of the world know we stand united with Botswana, Burundi, Egypt, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, China, India, Iraq, Japan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates by voting against a UN Resolution condemning the Death Penalty for things like adultery and same-sex relations.

Link.

Never mind that the State Department claims we said "No" because it "called for the abolition of the death penalty altogether".  That is not the truth.

The relevant portion of the resolution states (emphasis mine) -

"Calls upon States that have not yet acceded to or ratified the Second Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights aiming at the abolition of the death penalty to consider doing so"

Words DO have meaning, right?

ok, after watching the Twins lose last night, I didn't want to listen to sports radio during the commute, so I switched channels a couple of times. I learned:

There's a company pulling their NFL advertising because players aren't giving Herr Trump appropriate deference during the anthem.

A "personal defense" expert opining on the new lightweight body armors that you should wear when attending any events in which there are crowds, and to make sure you aren't a sheep, keep your defenses on alert and if you suspect something, head for the exits before the crowd

A nice little summary of the "sure to fail" legislative approaches to tool control.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of winning. And no, I'm not buying another gun, nor am I going to equip my family with bullet proof underwear.

14 hours ago, Raz'r said:

ok, after watching the Twins lose last night, I didn't want to listen to sports radio during the commute, so I switched channels a couple of times. I learned:

There's a company pulling their NFL advertising because players aren't giving Herr Trump appropriate deference during the anthem.

A "personal defense" expert opining on the new lightweight body armors that you should wear when attending any events in which there are crowds, and to make sure you aren't a sheep, keep your defenses on alert and if you suspect something, head for the exits before the crowd

A nice little summary of the "sure to fail" legislative approaches to tool control.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of winning. And no, I'm not buying another gun, nor am I going to equip my family with bullet proof underwear.

I am genuinely surprised there are not more of you concerned about how the US voted on that UN Resolution.

Especially since the reason given is complete bullshit.

3 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

I am genuinely surprised there are not more of you concerned about how the US voted on that UN Resolution.

I'm disappointed that Nikki Hailey would vote that way. I guess she's gotta be a good little Team R-bot if she wants a future in politics.

-DSK

5 minutes ago, hermetic said:

if she had voted yes, the media would have immediately proclaimed "trump administration considering doing away with death penalty"

So, you are in favor of the Administration voting based on what the press might say?  At least you are honest about it.

Fuck morals.  Fuck principles.  Control the message.

10 minutes ago, hermetic said:

I'm sure you're correct   that's exactly what I indicated

Your sarcasm, though obscured by the improper font style and color, is duly noted.

You do, however, suggest the possible outcry from the media is a reasonable justification for Haley's vote.

13 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:
25 minutes ago, hermetic said:

I'm sure you're correct   that's exactly what I indicated

Your sarcasm, though obscured by the improper font style and color, is duly noted.

You do, however, suggest the possible outcry from the media is a reasonable justification for guaranteed no matter how Haley's vote went.

edited for a more likely interpretation of my intent

now, if it had been a swing vote ....

6 minutes ago, hermetic said:

edited for a more likely interpretation of my intent

now, if it had been a swing vote ....

"More likely" is a bit of a projection, and certainly subjective.

So, we don't need to worry about taking a moral stand, as long as we aren't talking about a "swing vote".  Got it.

I prefer an Administration that would take a moral stand and strenuously object to the death penalty being applied to cases of adultery and same-sex relations.

You do not have a clear stance on that.  It more depends on how the media will portray the vote and/or whether it represents a "swing vote".

13 minutes ago, hermetic said:

I'm sure you're correct

It's always easier to deal with hard choices when your morals are malleable.

I can only respond to what you type.  I can't read minds.

BD, I think the US position stinks. Add it to the ever growing list of things I find I disagree with coming from your president. 

I know you asked for US opinions, I'm not Yank, sorry. 

I am a customer though. I'm off to Taiwan and Sth Korea all next week. The intent is to share our systems designs with a few emerging bright companies for them to manufacture and supply the relevant hardware systems I do for a particular market vertical. The current hardware suppliers that may lose out from this are all US (except for one German mob)

In the business world Trump's MAGA is having the opposite effect to his bragging. Meh...its only a few million per annum at stake at the moment.

The philosophical change was that I used to disassociate Trump from my business dealings, ie: my US suppliers aren't to blame. But the esteemed US checks and balances have failed to kick in quick enough for me, and he and his cronies are dismantling the things I liked about the US . This is the fault of the US, not just Trump.

Sucks for you good people, but that's reality. Hope you turf the fucker and his cling-ons soon.

SB

Edit: It's interesting, the same Asian companies are getting business from some of the very same US companies shutting down manufacturing in the States, so the US suppliers can't argue I'll suffer a drop in quality!

Under Trump, the US is becoming a middleman that is not wanted or needed. All actions have consequences....

On 10/4/2017 at 1:43 AM, Bus Driver said:

by voting against a UN Resolution condemning the Death Penalty

Fuck the UN. Our range still celebrates UN Day (10/24) by blasting blue helmets

Stamp_Image_UN_Blue_Helmet-1.jpg.49eb8882c9597933969159c50f3a93a4.jpg

Everyone here already knows you're a moron - no need to go on demonstrating it.

Did you get a special hinge in your back to allow you to bow to your UN masters?

On 10/5/2017 at 11:29 PM, Bus Driver said:

I'm pretty fucking horrified, but I'm really too busy being embarrassed.

Conversations with taxi drivers here are just going down the shitter.

I need a T-shirt to wear when my "Will Talk About Trump for Beer" is too covered in foodstains and crumbs. I'm thinking hwo about "We're not ALL idiot gun-toting racists!".

47 minutes ago, Moderate said:

Did you get a special hinge in your back to allow you to bow to your UN masters?

hey ass wipe, haven't you heard the UN is a good thing?

5 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

hey ass wipe, haven't you heard the UN is a good thing?

Please explain how its good for me.

4 hours ago, Moderate said:

Why does it have to be good for you to be good?

Rather full of yourself, aren’t you?

Pretending you’re Trump, eh?

33 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Why does it have to be good for you to be good?

Rather full of yourself, aren’t you?

Pretending you’re Trump, eh?

Why are you arguing with a Sock?

59 minutes ago, Scratchanot said:

Have you done business with the UN bus? At the purchase order level I've not come across anything more corrupt.

Is the measure of the value of an entity how it personally affects you?

7 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:
1 hour ago, Scratchanot said:

Have you done business with the UN bus? At the purchase order level I've not come across anything more corrupt.

Is the measure of the value of an entity how it personally affects your wallet?

FIFY

Scratchie gets to live in a world where the UN has eliminated diseases, prevented genocide & war, and shown that despite assholes being assholes, the majority of human beings can work together. But he's one of the assholes, so he hates the very idea. It wouldn't matter if the UN had paid him millions in bribes (which I think he would be OK with, morally). Whining about dollars is just his excuse of the minute

-DSK

4 hours ago, Scratchanot said:

48 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

The UN doesn't $peak to the American Party, so fuck em. They're corrupt. 

scratchanot, squirm and bullshit your way out of this, I need a laugh.

9 hours ago, Moderate said:

the same way it's good for everyone else.

11 hours ago, Moderate said:

Everyone here already knows you're a moron - no need to go on demonstrating it.

5 hours ago, Scratchanot said:

Of course it's corrupt - if you were from some third world shithole and landed a UN job you wouldn't be?

It's the best we got right now - work on changing it to improve it, don't shut it down like the right wing morons would do.

Their minds are so tiny and incapable of seeing anything beyond their own immediate needs that if something isn't perfect, kill it - preferably with a big gun.

Their attitude to the ACA is another great example of the "mind"set.

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Of course it's corrupt - if you were from some third world shithole and landed a UN job you wouldn't be?

It's the best we got right now - work on changing it to improve it, don't shut it down like the right wing morons would do.

Their minds are so tiny and incapable of seeing anything beyond their own immediate needs that if something isn't perfect, kill it - preferably with a big gun.

Their attitude to the ACA is another great example of the "mind"set.

The “right wing morons” don’t want to shut down the ACA because it’s not perfect. 

They want to shut it down because it came from the enemy. 

On 05/10/2017 at 2:29 PM, Bus Driver said:

The rest of the world have given up caring about how the US votes, you're on your own on this one. 

Apart from the sabre rattling, which is very disconcerting, the US is basically something to be ignored until there's a new regime in control. 

Inconsequential at best. 

The best way to defeat UN corruption is to stop paying for it

"The Donald Trump administration has drafted an executive order that would cut U.S. payments to the United Nations by as much as 40 percent. Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, highlighted the substantial role the United States plays in funding the U.N. during the confirmation hearing for U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley.

"When all of our taxpayers are paying roughly 22 percent of the budget, I think they do expect to see a more efficient and an organization that's more objective and more in keeping with our values," Portman said on Jan. 18, 2017. "How do you intend to support U.S. national security interests, but also ensure that the U.N. is a more effective body toward promoting a more peaceful and less volatile world?"

The U.N. and U.S. budget documents show Portman’s number is correct, and if peacekeeping is included, the percentage gets even higher."

http://www.politifact.com/global-news/statements/2017/feb/01/rob-portman/us-contribution-un-22-percent/

Go Trump , Go Trump !!

5 hours ago, Moderate said:

The best way to defeat UN corruption is to stop paying for it

"The Donald Trump administration has drafted an executive order that would cut U.S. payments to the United Nations by as much as 40 percent. Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, highlighted the substantial role the United States plays in funding the U.N. during the confirmation hearing for U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley.

"When all of our taxpayers are paying roughly 22 percent of the budget, I think they do expect to see a more efficient and an organization that's more objective and more in keeping with our values," Portman said on Jan. 18, 2017. "How do you intend to support U.S. national security interests, but also ensure that the U.N. is a more effective body toward promoting a more peaceful and less volatile world?"

The U.N. and U.S. budget documents show Portman’s number is correct, and if peacekeeping is included, the percentage gets even higher."

http://www.politifact.com/global-news/statements/2017/feb/01/rob-portman/us-contribution-un-22-percent/

Go Trump , Go Trump !!

When was the last time the US participated in a peacekeeping operation?

It seems there's still a problem getting aid to Puerto Rico. 

We contribute approximately $3.3 billion annually to the UN, in total. Were folks like Moderate as fiscally responsible when we decided to pour bazillions into Bush’s folly in the Midfle East?

Shit, $3 billion is about 5 days of the Iraq war. 

12 hours ago, Scratchanot said:

Wait!! you telephone sell floppy's to the UN?

Explains your sticking to script :D

1 minute ago, Shortforbob said:

He does have a very valid point, the overspend and subsequent waste on equipment and missions is staggering beyond belief!!

And a few deployments where they've proved to be far from fit for task. 

Just now, mad said:

He does have a very valid point, the overspend and subsequent waste on equipment and missions is staggering beyond belief!!

And a few deployments where they've proved to be far from fit for task. 

I think that goes for anywhere that outsourced the tea lady Mad. :)

9 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

The UN doesn't $peak to the American Party, so fuck em. They're corrupt. 

And our president chafes at the FCPA.  (Foreign Corrupt Practices Act).  He embraces corruption.  Didn't he do a project right next to the UN?  Bragged about it doing very well.  Loves corrupt money.  Will whine like a little kid when the UN moves somewhere else.  Loser.

45 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Gawd, you talk some utter rubbish. I watched the UN bring aids to Timor Leste. What's your experience with the UN?

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

I think that goes for anywhere that outsourced the tea lady Mad. :)

I'm confused,

why the reference to tea, and or lady,  And I'm very confused about being called 'tea lady Mad' 

Everybody drinks lattes and cappuccino these days. 

Just now, mad said:

I'm confused,

why the reference to tea, and or lady,  And I'm very confused about being called 'tea lady Mad' 

I mean that since outsourcing became hip in the 80's there's been a slow but increasing rate of waste and inefficiency everywhere you look. I call it the "Tea lady" scale :) 

3 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I mean that since outsourcing became hip in the 80's there's been a slow but increasing rate of waste and inefficiency everywhere you look. I call it the "Tea lady" scale :) 

Got it, never heard the term before. 

Just now, mad said:

Australia is still in 1952 in some cases.

5 minutes ago, mad said:

Neither had I till I thought of it :)

I doubt it's a unique or (edit) original observation though.

2 hours ago, mad said:

When was the last time the US participated in a peacekeeping operation?

It seems there's still a problem getting aid to Puerto Rico. 

Im sorry, do Puerto Ricans pay Fed taxes?

Just now, Moderate said:

Im sorry, do Puerto Ricans pay Fed taxes?

Do any of the countries that the US has been involved in for the past 30 years? 

Last time I checked, Puerto Ricans were still citizens of the US. 

Well, it is 1000 nm to windward. These things take time.

If it was up to me Id toss them a few billion and grant the independence.

Cheaper for the taxpayer. Get rid of the deadwood once and for all.

Kinda like how you guys cut loose all those colonies that didnt kick your ass.

You do have to wonder why the PR Govt was so woefully under prepared.

Im not wanting to sound paternalistic, so......

17 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Is the measure of the value of an entity how it personally affects you?

So corruption that doesn't effect you doesn't matter? (No sarc font on my phone)

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You have no idea. That's close to the most ignorant thing I've seen from you.

9 hours ago, BigUnot said:

You have no idea. That's close to the most ignorant thing I've seen from you.

I call that high praise when considering the source.