• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

make america’s cup great again

AC BREAKING EXCLUSIVE!

Deep sources in both Western Michigan and Rhode Island tell us that New York Yacht Club will announce their challenge for the 36th America’s Cup tomorrow.  Backed by a syndicate funded in large part by the DeVos family (of Quantum Racing, Amway, and Trump supporting fame) and longtime maxi competitor Hap Fauth (of Bella Mente fame), the team will be led by CEO Terry Hutchinson and will likely feature sails from the green donut.

Several other potential syndicate members – including Chicago Match Race founder Don Wilson – were rumored to be in talks with Devos & the NYYC, but our pals in Newport tell us that’s no longer the case, and the Chicago trader and property developer (and current North American M32 champ) is the first casualty of New Zealand’s decision to go monohull.

We continue to hear that a West Coast challenge is also in the works…more on that when it’s available.

http://sailinganarchy.com/2017/10/04/make-americas-cup-great-again/

https://twitter.com/RickDeVos?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fsailinganarchy.com%2F2017%2F10%2F04%2Fmake-americas-cup-great-again%2F

Watched a couple sailing interviews with Hap, one of them with THutch at Key West, he's actually pretty cool for a 71 yr old.

GD mentioned during the victory presser in Bermuda that he'd 'noticed' the money and the super yachts in town, was Hap there with his boat? edit: No, was on the Med

6 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Watched a couple sailing interviews with Hap, one of them with THutch at Key West, he's actually pretty cool for a 71 yr old.

71 year old?

Hutch was born in 1968. I know he's been around a while, Stinger but fair go mate....

1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

71 year old?

Hutch was born in 1968. I know he's been around a while, Stinger but fair go mate....

Hap Fauth (of Bella Mente fame)

Just now, Barnyb said:

This one?

Sorry Stinger. Maybe I've been around too long! ;)

3 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

From the rumor the team will be led by CEO Terry Hutchinson 

Suggesting Hap has a big influence on who-all will be on the team.

I don't get that inference. Presumably Quantum/Devos has more influence, and TH is plenty close with both. 

https://barracuda.news/article/terry-hutchinson-his-role-in-quantum-sails-future-of-sailing-and

5 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

No worries, wasn't a criticism, just curious if I missed something. 

Apparently sails won't be single sourced to NS, hopefully they (Quantum Racing as the team?) already have that assurance.

Some of what TH said in there jives with what GD also suggested in the Clean interview, about wing/sail structure.

12 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

I don't get that inference. Presumably Quantum/Devos has more influence, and TH is plenty close with both. 

https://barracuda.news/article/terry-hutchinson-his-role-in-quantum-sails-future-of-sailing-and

So what is your future in sailing? Do you want to come back to America’s Cup?

Yes! I’d love to see America’s Cup end up in monohull world, so we can take Quantum Racing and do the America’s Cup. How is that for a sales pitch or something (laughs)

That would be something, wouldn’t it! And what about the present, who will win this Cup in your opinion?

It’s a great question... I’m not sure. I know enough information about each team to say one way or another who is going to win or lose. If I had a force in the race, quietly, I’d love to see Team New Zealand win, because I think they return it back to some sense of normalcy. I’m still not sure what that means, but I think they will take it out of multihulls and bring it back to monohulls. I think that, but I don’t know for sure. Judging by the fact that they did not join all the challengers in their show of support of the America’s Cup every two years, which is a bit wonky because whoever wins is going to determine what they are going to do with it. And just because you agree to something right then and there, to see how it all goes… In the end, it is the America’s Cup, so the one thing you know for certain is that self-interest will win out.

3 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

^ I see the Trump bashing continues.

Nothing negative in there at all, unless you are a snowflake with a fantasy.  Article links to Devos' family's substantial donations to Trump, which is why 90% of the people in America who know their name, know their name.  (9% joined Amway at some point, and 1% are sailors*)

*not a scientific poll, but probably pretty close 

I have confirmed that the announcement will be at 1200 ET tomorrow and it will be at NYYC.  I am not sure whether that means NY or RI.  No news on whether there is a news conference, which means there probably won't be.  Probably just a release and a photo.

1 minute ago, MR.CLEAN said:

where's the bash?  

Maybe, maybe not. But let me put it another way, is the link relevant to the story?

3 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

^ I see the Trump bashing continues.

And he wholeheartedly deserves it.

What I object to is anyone stating that Hillary would have been any better.

19 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Nothing negative in there at all, unless you are a snowflake with a fantasy.  Article links to Devos' family's substantial donations to Trump, which is why 90% of the people in America who know their name, know their name.  (9% joined Amway at some point, and 1% are sailors*)

*not a scientific poll, but probably pretty close 

"Snowflake with a fantasy" now why does that term sound so familiar to me and other NZer's

1 minute ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Give me a Break! They have no chance at winning and just trying to make up Numbers.

Yea right! I mean really.

What do NYYC know about the AC?

4 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Yea right! I mean really.

What do NYYC know about the AC?

They have no Design Team. The AC has changed quite a bit since Hutchinson sailed in an AC Boat.

Casper as CEO?  I know where I am hitching my wagon now for AC36.  Have to root for my fellow resident of Southern AA County. 

One question I have is the relationship between the Casper/Devos side of the team and NYYC?  Will the Blue Blazers of NYYC let Casper do his thing or will they feel the need to micromanage the team that is representing the storied NYYC?

Also, will the pressed be streamed?

WetHog  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I have confirmed that the announcement will be at 1200 ET tomorrow and it will be at NYYC.  I am not sure whether that means NY or RI.  No news on whether there is a news conference, which means there probably won't be.  Probably just a release and a photo.

Clean, any whispers from ETNZ or dalts regarding this team and having a stake in the wing / sail package as Stingray alluded to? ETNZ seems pretty close to Southern Spars et al. 

40 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

Clean, any whispers from ETNZ or dalts regarding this team and having a stake in the wing / sail package as Stingray alluded to? ETNZ seems pretty close to Southern Spars et al. 

Southern Spars is a wholly owned subsidiary of North Technology Group, which is a much bigger fish than ETNZ!

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Maybe, maybe not. But let me put it another way, is the link relevant to the story?

Relevant because many of the sailors and non-sailors who read this site, especially the 50% of them that are overseas, don't know who the fuck the Devos family is, and the single thing the Devos family is known for over the past year is that Betsy was I think the only cabinet member that needed the VP to break the tie.  Part of the story ran ad nauseum on the news outlets was about how her family had donated so much to trump and the party and the suggested quid pro quo.  Context is important.  

Besides, no republican is such a snowflake that a neutral identifying link about Trump would get 'em all red, right?

1 hour ago, Alinghi4ever said:

They have no Design Team. The AC has changed quite a bit since Hutchinson sailed in an AC Boat.

Hutch is CEO.

The team is not there to make up numbers, or to make a nationalistic endeavor.  They are there to win.  I have my doubts because of the personalities involved and the amount of control required...billionaires and yacht clubs are not easy when it comes to letting go!  I bet the lawyers bill 200k to negotiate the syndicate/yc contract.

33 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Southern Spars is a wholly owned subsidiary of North Technology Group, which is a much bigger fish than ETNZ!

Sorry, unless I misunderstand your post, I should have been clearer. I was wondering if you get the impression from Dalts or elsewhere that North and it's subsidiaries might get a sole - sourced contract for the wing/sail combo as a one-design part, or whether there is a carveout to entice this Quantum team to challenge, or finally whether that part of the boat would likely remain box - rule controlled only

Just like old times with the NYYC back. Perhaps they could hire Dennis Connor in some capacity to upset the Kiwi faithfuls. :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Just like old times with the NYYC back. Perhaps they could hire Dennis Connor in some capacity to upset the Kiwi faithfuls. :rolleyes:

I am no fan of Dirty Dennis, but given that he seems to have decayed mentally I feel more sorry for him than upset by him.

35 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

^ Heavy, heavy sailing-passionate money for sure.

Casper better have a thick skin, this campaign could be a wild ride.

If NYYC is likely to add so much added bureaucracy, why challenge through it at all? Is the prestige enough? Is there any other reason?

5 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I am no fan of Dirty Dennis, but given that he seems to have decayed mentally I feel more sorry for him than upset by him.

I feel sorry as much for how some people pine for 30 and 40 yr old history instead of looking to the future.

Sadly for some, age and progression matters; DC still displays some wisdom but he's NOT going to be helming a boat off Fremantle any time soon.

5 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

If NYYC is likely to add so much added bureaucracy, why challenge through it at all? Is the prestige enough? Is there any other reason?

Was just worried about how well he can cater to some obviously strong-minded authorities over that campaign. The RC relationship with LE actually worked quite well, it does matter.

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

You won't get an invite anyhow 

5 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

We saw off Dennis the menace and we've just seen off Spithill. we're veterans at seeing off the "enemies". But I'm over the moon that NYYC will challenge again - and I'd say it's a thunderous smack in Larry Ellison's chops to have NYYC challenge after fuming on the sidelines as Ellison's shenanigans...

AC36....Back To The Future!

Agreed Indio. I reckon this will be a massive shot in the arm for the event and having the holders/custodians of the cup for over a century back, will SURELY motivate other challengers. Those guys were arch enemy number ONE - for a long time for several AUS challenges up to and including 83. Their antics were legend and they will sure bring a massive injection of rich history back to the event. The chance for an Aussie challenger to joust with the NYYC again will hopefully prove irresistible. We can live in hope! 

3 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

I feel sorry as much for how some people pine for 30 and 40 yr old history instead of looking to the future.

Sadly for some, age and progression matters; DC still displays some wisdom but he's NOT going to be helming a boat off Fremantle any time soon.

Dont be so sure. The recent generation of hot young guns on the match racing circuit have been foiling or sailing fast multis. For experience and tactics on slow hybrid (at least some soft sails) monohulls, don't be surprised to see some older guys recruited by the teams. 

Sailing those monoliths will require patience, wisdom, experience. Brad butter-worth might be called back into section.

28 minutes ago, jaysper said:

It says stars and stripes raced for nyyc in 2003.

Is my memory failing me? As far as I remember once Dennis made the move to SDYC he never went back.

Stars and Stripes raced for San Diego in 2003 .. The NYYC did not compete.

The last AC event for the NYYC was 2000 where they were the COR against TNZ but they did not make it through the Louis Vuitton .. Their boat was Young America sailed by Ed Baird.

15 minutes ago, Terry Hollis said:

Stars and Stripes raced for San Diego in 2003 .. The NYYC did not compete.

The last AC event for the NYYC was 2000 where they were the COR against TNZ but they did not make it through the Louis Vuitton .. Their boat was Young America sailed by Ed Baird.

Cheers Terry I thought so.

Typically sloppy NZ "journalism"

3 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

Dont be so sure. The recent generation of hot young guns on the match racing circuit have been foiling or sailing fast multis. For experience and tactics on slow hybrid (at least some soft sails) monohulls, don't be surprised to see some older guys recruited by the teams. 

Sailing those monoliths will require patience, wisdom, experience. Brad butter-worth might be called back into section.

Yep...back to the future. Terry Hutchinson (49) - good to see him back. Going back to monos has thrown a life-line to some of the more mature legends of the AC. Look at the roster for ETNZ in AC32, the last time monos were sailed:

Skipper / Helmsman    Dean Barker (NZL)
Tactician    Terry Hutchinson (USA)
Navigator    Kevin Hall (USA)
Strategist    Ray Davies (NZL)
Traveller/Up the mast    Adam Beashel (AUS)
Pit    Barry Mckay (NZL)
Runner /Pit    Tony Rae (NZL)
Mainsail Trimmer    Don Cowie (NZL)
Main Grinder    Chris Ward (NZL)
Trimmer Upwind    Grant Loretz (NZL) [5]
Trimmer Downwind    James Dagg (NZL)
Grinder    Rob Waddell (NZL)
Grinder    Jono McBeth (NZL)
Mast    Matt Mason (NZL)
Floater    Grant Dalton (NZL)
Mid-Bow    Richard Meacham (NZL)
Bow    Jeremy Lomas (NZL)

An evil empire team back by Trump supporters, another from the Italian style crowd, a Great British gentlemen and players team backed by the spoils of the Raj and the gritty Kiwis getting on by rubbing a few farthings together, bailer twine and ingenuity.

What was that that GD was saying about a pantomime?

I swear time must be running backwards.

Still no word on if this announcement will be streamed live or just a press release?

3 hours ago, rgeek said:

An evil empire team back by Trump supporters, another from the Italian style crowd, a Great British gentlemen and players team backed by the spoils of the Raj and the gritty Kiwis getting on by rubbing a few farthings together, bailer twine and ingenuity.

Trump...that guy is driving me nuts.

9 minutes ago, EliteDangerous said:

So it should. Don't you agree?

In PA it should.  In here, not so much. 

13 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

^ Heavy, heavy sailing-passionate money for sure.

Casper better have a thick skin, this campaign could be a wild ride.

Where'd this 'casper' shit come from?  

13 hours ago, buckdouger said:

Sorry, unless I misunderstand your post, I should have been clearer. I was wondering if you get the impression from Dalts or elsewhere that North and it's subsidiaries might get a sole - sourced contract for the wing/sail combo as a one-design part, or whether there is a carveout to entice this Quantum team to challenge, or finally whether that part of the boat would likely remain box - rule controlled only

Open sails is my understanding.

12 hours ago, quezal said:

You won't get an invite anyhow 

That's for sure!  Not everyone learns from others' mistakes...

9 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

Dennis is 300 pounds and like looks like he's 100 years old!

4 hours ago, rgeek said:

wait'll you see the wars between the italian teams who HATE each other...it'll be like a full on soap opera!

8 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

wait'll you see the wars between the italian teams who HATE each other...it'll be like a full on soap opera!

I do not consider President Trump to be a serious person Clean. You would think being getting associated with Donald would hurt the NYYC Challenge.

42 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Where'd this 'casper' shit come from?  

I started calling him Casper back when he sailed for ETNZ in Valencia.  I remember not knowing who he was and seeing him on a boat feed during a race with all that white sunblock all over his face yelling at someone or someone and I thought "Casper, the friendly ghost".  Stinger calling him that recently is the 1st time I can remember someone other than me calling him Casper.  

30jh850.jpg

54uf55.jpg

Paul Cayard was "The Stache" for me, even when he shaved his stache off, and Terry Hutchinson is "Casper".  

WetHog  :ph34r:

57 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

I do not consider President Trump to be a serious person Clean. You would think being getting associated with Donald would hurt the NYYC Challenge.

Since when do billionaires give a fuck about their associations?

37 minutes ago, WetHog said:

I started calling him Casper back when he sailed for ETNZ in Valencia.  I remember not knowing who he was and seeing him on a boat feed during a race with all that white sunblock all over his face yelling at someone or someone and I thought "Casper, the friendly ghost".  Stinger calling him that recently is the 1st time I can remember someone other than me calling him Casper.  

Paul Cayard was "The Stache" for me, even when he shaved his stache off, and Terry Hutchinson is "Casper".  

Ok hoggie.  given the way online discussions have devolved into nicknames and political wars are characterized by idiots calling people stupid nicknames, i recoil at the laziness of calling people by silly names.

8 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Ok hoggie.  given the way online discussions have devolved into nicknames and political wars are characterized by idiots calling people stupid nicknames, i recoil at the laziness of calling people by silly names.

So, is it Allen from now on then?

1 hour ago, WetHog said:

In PA it should.  In here, not so much. 

It's NYYC history in the Cup that deserves the evil empire caricature, not the teams backers personal political views/commercial interests

8 minutes ago, rgeek said:

It's NYYC history in the Cup that deserves the evil empire caricature, not the teams backers personal political views/commercial interests

I've been a QR and NYYC fan for a good while, and I'll give this new arrangement a shot to be the American Challenger I want. But if they come out wearing red baseball caps and Betsy is swinging the champagne bottles, it's gonna be real hard to get behind them.

20 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Hold on there Blockie, I've got Bicey on the phone. Something about Sponge and Tugboat looking for a ride on Crash's 60?

19 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

So, is it Allen from now on then?

Who's Allen?

1 minute ago, rgeek said:

Hold on there Blockie, I've got Bicey on the phone. Something about Sponge and Tugboat looking for a ride on Crash's 60?

Cute, but if you can't tell the difference between a nickname that people call themselves and a less-than-respectful nickname that someone decides to spew on the internet, there's no help for you!

2 hours ago, WetHog said:

Still no word on if this announcement will be streamed live or just a press release?

Now 63 minutes to go, anyone got an update on WetHog's question?

Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron has been informed by the NYYC Commodore Phil Lotz that the club would be challenging for the 36th edition.

43 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Cute, but if you can't tell the difference between a nickname that people call themselves and a less-than-respectful nickname that someone decides to spew on the internet, there's no help for you!

Casper is less than respectful?  Doesn't fit on a site like this, especially considering the names you guys lob around on the front page?  I actually think its cool, right up there with The Stache, but whatever.  If Terry Hutchinson has a problem with it than he can say so.  He is a local guy and I am eager to support his effort to win the America's Cup.  I am not interested in calling him something he would be offended by, but something tells me he could give a shit.

Also, Quantum Sails = Green Donut is cool but Terry Hutchinson = Casper is idiocy spewed on the internet.  Pot meet kettle.  

WetHog   :ph34r:

19 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

71 year old?

Hilarious :wub:

This bit caught my eye

"With a return to a more traditional style of yacht and the windward-leeward courses with which the vast majority of racing sailors are intimately familiar, the 36th America's Cup represents a unique opportunity to re-engage the grass roots of the sport and re-energize American sailing."

So return to monos may have lost some, but gained others

Also "we have confidence the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, represented by Emirates Team New Zealand, will host a world-class regatta that honors the spirit, tradition and majesty of this great event."

My underlining.

Welcome back aboard NYYC.

Didn't think it would be possible to find less appealing principals than Larry Ellison for the US challenger but here we go.  Is Jared Fogle going to do the design work?

So we have ETNZ, Luna Rossa, LRBAR, NYYC, an imminent Aussie challenge, as well as interest from France.  Already we have more interest than San Fran, and as many interested teams as Bermuda, and thats before a class rule is officially announced. It is bound to increase. Clearly multi's weren't the future of the AC, except in the eyes of Coutts and Ellison. Mono's are clearly the future of the Americas Cup. 

4 minutes ago, sclarke said:

So we have ETNZ, Luna Rossa, LRBAR, NYYC, an imminent Aussie challenge, as well as interest from France.  Already we have more interest than San Fran, and as many interested teams as Bermuda, and thats before a class rule is officially announced. It is bound to increase. Clearly multi's weren't the future of the AC, except in the eyes of Coutts and Ellison. Mono's are clearly the future of the Americas Cup. 

Franck Cammas was pining for multis in the NZHerald article, and there seems to be plenty of multi interest outside the AC. Maybe the mutlis weren't the part of the C/E years that created the problems for people who wanted to compete...

Inconclusive so far. The main issue with AC35 was the manner with which it was managed.

Only NYYC has pontificated on the boat and they where blocked from entering while there was a US defender, and while they are in a mid coast team seems to be out for the lack of a multihull. Alinghi too seem to say "meh, monos don't suit us but lets take a look at the boat if it foils". Every one else entered a multihull AC.

44 minutes ago, RMac said:

Didn't think it would be possible to find less appealing principals than Larry Ellison for the US challenger but here we go.  Is Jared Fogle going to do the design work?

Well he is used to dealing with little buoys isn't he?

5 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Open sails is my understanding.

Of course - how could it be otherwise? Not the Volvo

5 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Didn't think you'd let yourself be sweet-talked in Porto Cervo, Clean. Any (other) Italian will tell you there won't be a second, let alone third, team - unless Bertelli sets up his own SBTJ

34 minutes ago, sclarke said:

Oh come on.  You are not new to this.  A big challenger stable would be fabulous but it doesn't matter how many teams want to challenge on October 5, 2017, it matters how many are on the start line in January 2021.  

Hey hog at least ETNZ and RNZYs do not have to contort and prostitute themselves like Oracle and Ggyc to get this level of challenger interest this early!

23 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Oh come on.  You are not new to this.  A big challenger stable would be fabulous but it doesn't matter how many teams want to challenge on October 5, 2017, it matters how many are on the start line in January 2021.  

Its early days. Once the class rule is announced, you can bet we'll see a few more. More than what we saw in San Fran, or Bermuda. 

3 hours ago, WetHog said:

Casper is less than respectful?  Doesn't fit on a site like this, especially considering the names you guys lob around on the front page?  I actually think its cool, right up there with The Stache, but whatever.  If Terry Hutchinson has a problem with it than he can say so.  He is a local guy and I am eager to support his effort to win the America's Cup.  I am not interested in calling him something he would be offended by, but something tells me he could give a shit.

....he could give a shit - Americans

....he couldn't give a shit - the rest of the English speaking world

sort yourselves out.

1 hour ago, sclarke said:

As already mentioned it may not be the change of class that is the main incentive

34 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Attendance at all 'pre-regattas' is (for now) compulsory. January 2021 = far too late

1 hour ago, sclarke said:

keeping people like russell and larry out is the future of the america's cup!  and of course holding it in a country that people actually want to move to for a couple of years

12 hours ago, Indio said:

Yep...back to the future. Terry Hutchinson (49) - good to see him back. Going back to monos has thrown a life-line to some of the more mature legends of the AC. Look at the roster for ETNZ in AC32, the last time monos were sailed:

Skipper / Helmsman    Dean Barker (NZL)
Tactician    Terry Hutchinson (USA)
Navigator    Kevin Hall (USA)
Strategist    Ray Davies (NZL)
Traveller/Up the mast    Adam Beashel (AUS)
Pit    Barry Mckay (NZL)
Runner /Pit    Tony Rae (NZL)
Mainsail Trimmer    Don Cowie (NZL)
Main Grinder    Chris Ward (NZL)
Trimmer Upwind    Grant Loretz (NZL) [5]
Trimmer Downwind    James Dagg (NZL)
Grinder    Rob Waddell (NZL)
Grinder    Jono McBeth (NZL)
Mast    Matt Mason (NZL)
Floater    Grant Dalton (NZL)
Mid-Bow    Richard Meacham (NZL)
Bow    Jeremy Lomas (NZL)

That's not a life-line that's an oxygen tube.....

Now we know what the attraction is...

No more 05:00 cross-fit sessions, it's beer belly ballast in the back of the boat time again

1 hour ago, rgeek said:

Inconclusive so far. The main issue with AC35 was the manner with which it was managed.

Only NYYC has pontificated on the boat and they where blocked from entering while there was a US defender, and while they are in a mid coast team seems to be out for the lack of a multihull. Alinghi too seem to say "meh, monos don't suit us but lets take a look at the boat if it foils". Every one else entered a multihull AC.

I think the mid coast team was more likely going to be a smaller part of the NYYC syndicate this time around anyway, with an eye towards gaining the experience for a proper Chicago-based team.  I still think that's coming one of these days, a well resourced Great Lakes program with a real chance at it. Could be next time if the AC75 is really special, will be a long time if it's TP75 redux.

58 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Didn't think you'd let yourself be sweet-talked in Porto Cervo, Clean. Any (other) Italian will tell you there won't be a second, let alone third, team - unless Bertelli sets up his own SBTJ

You think Onorato is going to lose a chance to get his son racing for the Cup in Auckland?  And that Azzurra or Eduardo Recchi is going to allow Bertelli - or worse yet Onorato - to get all the italian press?  I think this thing is taylor made for an italian team to go and make some impressions.  None of them will win though!  Whoever has Guillaume Verdier will be fighting against whoever wins between the team with Marcelino Botin and the team with VPLP, and Italy doesn't have any of them.

That's my form guide 3.6 years out. Mark it down!

2 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

You think Onorato is going to lose a chance to get his son racing for the Cup in Auckland?  And that Azzurra or Eduardo Recchi is going to allow Bertelli - or worse yet Onorato - to get all the italian press?  I think this thing is taylor made for an italian team to go and make some impressions.  None of them will win though!

What's Moose Sanderson doing these days?

"We have confidence the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, represented by Emirates Team New Zealand, will host a world-class regatta that honors the spirit, tradition and majesty of this great event," said Commodore Philip A. Lotz .

Welcome back NYYC!! NOW it feels like an America's Cup. The CSS has just become very competitive..

NYYC.jpg.0aa5fc61bbb32d51534502cbda61441f.jpg