9 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Nothing personal, but Jimmy is more fun!

Yup it's a real shame he is not fronting as the Handbags skipper instead of Max.

Is it official that Pistol Pete is the TNZ skipper.

2 hours ago, Monkey said:

Ben and Max didn’t look happy.

I didn't think they looked very happy at the Opening Ceremony either. Nor Jimmy.

57 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I do have to respect that kid. Sitting at the top of the world for our game, he manages to go about business without showing emotion. 

Nothing personal, but Jimmy is more fun!  I miss the old 12 meter days when ALL the skippers were obnoxious!  Those press conferences were fantastic!!!

Sponsors will be particularly sensitive to public perception of their product(s) and name association with the public face of their sponsored team, so the old days of obnoxious skippers are well and truly behind us. Of course there is the odd exception of a billionaire-funded team who'll use any trick to win.

9 minutes ago, Indio said:

Sponsors will be particularly sensitive to public perception of their product(s) and name association with the public face of their sponsored team, so the old days of obnoxious skippers are well and truly behind us. Of course there is the odd exception of a billionaire-funded team who'll use any trick to win.

Bertelli , DeVos, and Sir Jim are all multi-billionaires but yea , get your point....

5 hours ago, XPRO said:

Bertelli , DeVos, and Sir Jim are all multi-billionaires but yea , get your point....

you left of the Emirati delegation from that list, do they qualify as Billionaires or if that a little low rent for them? ;)

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

you left of the Emirati delegation from that list, do they qualify as Billionaires or if that a little low rent for them? ;)

I thought that UKistan, capital Londonistan, was the latest addition to the Middle East?

maybe but we didn't roll over all those years ago let them tickle our bellies and put their name all over our boat ;) 

any way its the Russians running around London spending their dirty oil money.

the UAE just buy weapons and naming rights to sports teams so they don't seem so morally bankrupt.

maybe but we didn't roll over all those years ago let them tickle our bellies and put their name all over our boat ;) 

any way its the Russians running around London spending their dirty oil money.

the UAE just buy weapons and naming rights to sports teams so they don't seem so morally bankrupt.

LOL!! Sponsors love winners, that's why Emirates have stuck with ETNZ for over 20 years. The only soul-selling that's taken place is Sir Ben bending over for Ratty's Stg110-mil.

34 minutes ago, Indio said:

LOL!! Sponsors love winners, that's why Emirates have stuck with ETNZ for over 20 years. The only soul-selling that's taken place is Sir Ben bending over for Ratty's Stg110-mil.

Emirates became NM named sponsor in 2004. Since when NZ have won once.

Not exactly a definition of an all conquering team. So a little time to go for Ineos, especially since they have won Sail GP in much less time than that

Not to mention that ETNZ won both the 2009 and 2010 MedCup, Origin however...Ineos/BAR by another, former name failed to win a race. But that was in monos and so long ago now....

43 minutes ago, TANGO QUEBEC said:

Not to mention that ETNZ won both the 2009 and 2010 MedCup, Origin however...Ineos/BAR by another, former name failed to win a race. But that was in monos and so long ago now....

And that’s what to do with the AC? amusingly they won those races with Dean.. you know the serial loser that was totally to blame for San Fran.. 

1 hour ago, Indio said:

Aw that’s cute, you and Magnus using the same phraseology..  kiwis have held the cup for the last 20years jeez that’s a new one.. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

And that’s what to do with the AC? amusingly they won those races with Dean.. you know the serial loser that was totally to blame for San Fran.. 

As much as Ineos winning SailGP, still aint the Cup. And yes, I remember Dean was involved. I have never mentioned his record, it was aimed at the SailGP reference.

4 hours ago, Nutta said:

I thought that UKistan, capital Londonistan, was the latest addition to the Middle East?

Ironic post. You know the biggest word on the sail is an Arab country?

1 hour ago, TANGO QUEBEC said:

As much as Ineos winning SailGP, still aint the Cup. And yes, I remember Dean was involved. I have never mentioned his record, it was aimed at the SailGP reference.

I know it isn't the AC, but then I'm not claiming Ineos GB to be an exemplar of winning, whereas Indio was claiming to be winners for their sponsor, because they managed one AC win in 16 years.

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Not exactly a definition of an all conquering team. So a little time to go for Ineos, especially since they have won Sail GP in much less time than that

ETNZ have been either defender or challenger in EVERY SINGLE (non deed of gift) AC since 1995.

There have been plenty of teams who have never appeared in a single AC, so seems pretty successful to me.

2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

ETNZ have been either defender or challenger in EVERY SINGLE (non deed of gift) AC since 1995.

There have been plenty of teams who have never appeared in a single AC, so seems pretty successful to me.

So they've been the best loser lots of times? That is not being a "winner" (Indio's word)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

So they've been the best loser lots of times? That is not being a "winner" (Indio's word)

Firstly, there is a reason I put Spindio on ignore a number of years ago.

However, I think if you weren't so enraged by whatever little flame war Spindio has dragged you into, you would likely agree that WINNING 3 America's Cups and 4 Challengers series is actually pretty bloody successful.

But anywho, I'm not interested in getting dragged into any crazy that you've got going with Spindio so this will be my last post on this.

6 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Or how happy they are to keep sucking at the tear of a pretty nasty regime... anyway beggars can’t be choosers as they say. 

They took the dirty money and hey presto nice shiney kiwi good will and cups all round. 

17 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Or how happy they are to keep sucking at the tear of a pretty nasty regime... anyway beggars can’t be choosers as they say. 

They took the dirty money and hey presto nice shiney kiwi good will and cups all round. 

And Rattys cash is all nice and shiny clean. 

45 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Firstly, there is a reason I put Spindio on ignore a number of years ago.

However, I think if you weren't so enraged by whatever little flame war Spindio has dragged you into, you would likely agree that WINNING 3 America's Cups and 4 Challengers series is actually pretty bloody successful.

But anywho, I'm not interested in getting dragged into any crazy that you've got going with Spindio so this will be my last post on this.

I completely agree that NZ are a very good team and were favourites for this AC before we saw any of the boats. 

I was merely objecting to a particular peace of hyperbole that was without factual foundation. As you say, time to move on

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dullers said:

Ironic post. You know the biggest word on the sail is an Arab country?

Shit! I thought it was a brand of DIY colonic irrigation products. Thanks for the info. I'd better support someone else...

2 minutes ago, Nutta said:

Shit! I thought it was a brand of DIY colonic irrigation products. Thanks for the info. I'd better support someone else...

It's more likely to be a brand of some kind,  because it sure as hell isnt the name of any county on earth at least. 

13 minutes ago, kenergy said:

It's more likely to be a brand of some kind,  because it sure as hell isnt the name of any county on earth at least. 

Damn, and here was me searching for Fly Better, on google maps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kenergy said:

And Rattys cash is all nice and shiny clean. 

well you don't see him  on the news bombing the fuck out of women and kids in Yemen or stoning women to death because a made up book told them that she must die according to some bullshit code of conduct.

so yeah by that measure its fucking sparkling.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

well you don't see him  on the news bombing the fuck out of women and kids in Yemen or stoning women to death because a made up book told them that she must die according to some bullshit code of conduct.

so yeah by that measure its fucking sparkling.

Nah, he just is busy poisoning the planet, so just a slower death. 

And if you're wanting to wave that virtuous wand around you could start by looking a lot closer to home. 

lol wondered how long that would take to get to evil Jimm poising the planet

its not a case of being virtuous, yes jim runs a chemical company ( amongst other things) that much is readily admitted by him and in the global media 

what's slightly harder is to get either the average kiwi fan boy or the ruling class in the UAE is quite how grubby they (the UAE )are. I mean all that oil they sell, that's totally NOT killing the planet is it?

I mean that's the accusation about Jim isn't it? that he uses nasty petro chemical refining techniques to make every day stuff we all use and therefore he is evil, but the blokes that sell the raw material around the world, nah that's all good, especially if they then use the proceeds for gross human rights violations.

what's good for the goose etc 

• Like 1

Every one of us are "killing the planet" in either a  small or large way. The key is to enjoy your miniscule amount of time spent here.

2 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

lol wondered how long that would take to get to evil Jimm poising the planet

its not a case of being virtuous, yes jim runs a chemical company ( amongst other things) that much is readily admitted by him and in the global media 

what's slightly harder is to get either the average kiwi fan boy or the ruling class in the UAE is quite how grubby they (the UAE )are. I mean all that oil they sell, that's totally NOT killing the planet is it?

I mean that's the accusation about Jim isn't it? that he uses nasty petro chemical refining techniques to make every day stuff we all use and therefore he is evil, but the blokes that sell the raw material around the world, nah that's all good, especially if they then use the proceeds for gross human rights violations.

what's good for the goose etc 

Your high horse is a shetland pony so you should get off it now. I dont see too many people defending the emirates, yet you're happily defending the frackers. And last time I checked your government was busy slinging dronestrikes on civilians in syria.

Probably best to stick to the boating. 

^ Actually I think someone from Monaco brought out the previous Indian owners - nothing to do with the UK at all AFAIK

18 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

INEOS isn't a great big PAID advertising hoarding for the UK government, 

Emirates is a brand, I bet 90% of the people who fly the airline either dont know, or dont care that its govt owned. 

23 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Your high horse is a shetland pony so you should get off it now. I dont see too many people defending the emirates, yet you're happily defending the frackers. And last time I checked your government was busy slinging dronestrikes on civilians in syria.

The high horse is the favorite place of the Kiwi. I think JAL was just trying to point that out and not get into a tit for tat shit fight about who is more virtuous. You fucks come on here and act like you are completely peerless and it just gets old. I think that is JAL's point. You're not.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

The high horse is the favorite place of the Kiwi. I think JAL was just trying to point that out and not get into a tit for tat shit fight about who is more virtuous. You fucks come on here and act like you are completely peerless and it just gets old. I think that is JAL's point. You're not.

Yeah, that me, coming on here claiming to be peerless. 

JALs point is to steer attention away from another failure by focusing on the irrelevance that is the sponsors. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Yeah, that me, coming on here claiming to be peerless. 

JALs point is to steer attention away from another failure by focusing on the irrelevance that is the sponsors. 

He's a Pom. He's quite familiar with failure...

9 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

He's a Pom. He's quite familiar with failure...

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;   

4 minutes ago, dullers said:
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;   

Great poem, some times a pom gets something right. 

6 minutes ago, XPRO said:

This was lit up as the hot thread, I thought a foil flew off AM..........  nope.

My apologies, I will stick to the topic now.

Two wins for AM today? 

Just now, Priscilla said:

Looks like England but actually Poncenby.

undefined

I was talking about Kipling,  but hes not really a pom either. 

2 minutes ago, kenergy said:

I was talking about Kipling,  but hes not really a pom either. 

My bad got it to work this time.

1358456900_ScreenShot2020-12-17at9_10_51AM.thumb.png.62c3d8db2bdf34cb087f9513f212403f.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Great poem, some times a pom gets something right. 

Maybe sometimes applies to all? There is an alternate version of that poem that goes something like this

"If you can keep your girl, when all around you,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Are losing theirs and blaming it on you......"

1 hour ago, kenergy said:

Poor choice really given that by all independent data UAE drones have killed at least an order of magnitude more civilian casualties than UK drones because they don't follow such tight ROE.

And ignoring the fact that whilst civilian deaths are regrettable, standing back and doing nothing will not help Syrian civilians from slaughter by its own government. 

So maybe you'd better stick to the boating

1 minute ago, enigmatically2 said:

Poor choice really given that by all independent data UAE drones have killed at least an order of magnitude more civilian casualties than UK drones because they don't follow such tight ROE.

And ignoring the fact that whilst civilian deaths are regrettable, standing back and doing nothing will not help Syrian civilians from slaughter by its own government. 

Like I said, nobody is defending the emirates. 

17 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Yup it's a real shame he is not fronting as the Handbags skipper instead of Max.

Is it official that Pistol Pete is the TNZ skipper.

Brilliant find! 

Yes, JS is gold but Max did well enough yesterday. 

2 hours ago, pusslicker said:

yup

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

.....  kiwis have held the cup for the last 20years jeez that’s a new one.. 

Says it all really about your ability to comprehend the written word!! Get one of your step children to explain my post to you.

9 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

And what "all-conquering" America's Cup team has the US produced in that time, retaining the same major sponsor? Oracle/Ellison lasted 3 cycles, BMW 2. In the current edition, ETNZ have an AC record second only to NYYC's 132-year reign.

Get your facts straight before making a cunt of yourself with your typical attempt to belittle achievements by non-Yank teams.

1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

Source for your "all independent data" on UAE strikes? Your typical Yank hypocrisy is palpable - you seem to be quite blasé about non-American civilians being murdered by your drone strikes, and now attempting justification by inventing equivalency.

3 hours ago, kenergy said:

Emirates is a brand, I bet 90% of the people who fly the airline either dont know, or dont care that its govt owned. 

Hiding behind what looks to be an ordinary business doing ordinary things (airline in this case) sounds an awful lot like the time proven distraction of the nefarious (criminals and tyrants). 

2 hours ago, kenergy said:

Two wins for AM today? 

Yep.

Matches I'm looking forward to are the two Ineos ones Vs AM and LR. Round 1 will be a feeling-out opening round like they have in boxing matches.

26 minutes ago, Indio said:

Yep.

Matches I'm looking forward to are the two Ineos ones Vs AM and LR. Round 1 will be a feeling-out opening round like they have in boxing matches.

Remember the results don’t actually matter. One of your kiwi chums was very instant on this point.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indio said:

Says it all really about your ability to comprehend the written word!! Get one of your step children to explain my post to you.

And what "all-conquering" America's Cup team has the US produced in that time, retaining the same major sponsor? Oracle/Ellison lasted 3 cycles, BMW 2. In the current edition, ETNZ have an AC record second only to NYYC's 132-year reign.

Get your facts straight before making a cunt of yourself with your typical attempt to belittle achievements by non-Yank teams.

I didn't claim any team was all conquering, it was you trying to belittle other teams. And your understanding of what other people write is so poor you can't even twig which continent I am from. I am not a yank 

2 hours ago, Indio said:

Calm down. It is a game both on here and out on the water.

5 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Are we there yet?

Not far now, Papa Smurf...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

I didn't claim any team was all conquering, it was you trying to belittle other teams. And your understanding of what other people write is so poor you can't even twig which continent I am from. I am not a yank 

You really have a problem with comprehension. I posted that sponsors love winners, which was why Emirates have stayed with ETNZ for over 20 years - that's a FACT! Your simple mind then claimed that ETNZ have won once in 16 years - "hardly an all-conquering team" in your futile attempt at belittling their achievements.

I don't give a fuck where you're from - your posts just have the putrid scent of some Yanks of a particular political persuasion.

Now where's your source for the vast indiscriminate UAE drone strikes??

Remember the results don’t actually matter. One of your kiwi chums was very instant on this point.. 

The results don't matter to the Defenders, other than as an opportunity to gauge against the Challengers. Different case for the Challengers..

Patriot is the prettiest boat and it is fast.  They need to work on their tacks, but very good to see that they are not behind the Kiwi Gods (as you read on this site).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Patriot is the prettiest boat and it is fast.  They need to work on their tacks, but very good to see that they are not behind the Kiwi Gods (as you read on this site).

They're 2 nil up so far. They need another 6 wins before our comeback begins. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kenergy said:

They're 2 nil up so far. They need another 6 wins before our comeback begins. 

i sure wouldn't cut it that close if you had a choice.  

At least a couple of boats look competitive, that is the risk when you change to a new class of boat.

9 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

i sure wouldn't cut it that close if you had a choice.  

At least a couple of boats look competitive, that is the risk when you change to a new class of boat.

I think it's great. Bring on the next three months 

2 minutes ago, Afrayedknot said:

Let’s not go around sucking each other’s dicks just yet....

If people want to suck each others dicks that's nothing to do with me, but after three yawnfests I'm glad someone made it interesting 

5 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

They didn’t bring out there bat wing, also they must have a foil set or two up their sleeve. 

13 minutes ago, mako23 said:

They didn’t bring out there bat wing, also they must have a foil set or two up their sleeve. 

I'm really happy for Hutch as I understand he was the driving force behind pulling together the major sponsors to convince NYYC to challenge. Good to see a nice guy getting some reward..

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1

Damn another reason to hate Trump if he hadn't put Betsy as Sec Ed I would never have been so aware of the team backers and would have happily been cheering for what looks to be the Challenger. They did well, congrats. 

OK AMERICAN MAGIC - JUST REMEMBER - NO TACKS!!!!!!!  BANG THE CORNERS AND FUCK THE OTHER BOAT.

YOU REMEMBER THE TACKING DUELS VS ALINGHI IN 2007?  DIDNT WORK OUT TO WELL FOR YOU AND DEANO SO DONT DO IT AGAIN!!!!

1 hour ago, Enzedel92 said:

OK AMERICAN MAGIC - JUST REMEMBER - NO TACKS!!!!!!!  BANG THE CORNERS AND FUCK THE OTHER BOAT.

YOU REMEMBER THE TACKING DUELS VS ALINGHI IN 2007?  DIDNT WORK OUT TO WELL FOR YOU AND DEANO SO DONT DO IT AGAIN!!!!

Shouldn't AM be doing exactly the opposite at this stage? Working on boat handling and control systems to improve the tacking so they can engage if needed in the real event?. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wandering Geo said:

Shouldn't AM be doing exactly the opposite at this stage? Working on boat handling and control systems to improve the tacking so they can engage if needed in the real event?. 

I'm not sure Hutch didn't call the tacking cover - Deano sure looked a bit stressed when ETNZ were hot on his tail within 100 metres of the final mark:)

• Like 1

Deano's got a wild ride on that wheel. Somebody better get him a wheel alignment or the old man of AKL will probably loose a few more teeth by the end of the regatta.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tropical Madness said:

Deano's got a wild ride on that wheel. 

It did look like a lot of load on that wheel. Understandable, I s’pose.

3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

It did look like a lot of load on that wheel. Understandable, I s’pose.

I'm guessing no hydraulic steering on AM then?

12 minutes ago, Tropical Madness said:

Deano's got a wild ride on that wheel. Somebody better get him a wheel alignment or the old man of AKL will probably loose a few more teeth by the end of the regatta.

Well, last time around we had to listen to all the Kiwi experts from SA lecture the world that unstable is fast. I’m going to go ahead and agree with them. 

I do like the Hutchinson + Barker combo - a little timid around tight corners and during close encounters, but good humble guys that evidently work very well together.  AM looks polished and if they find a notch more speed around the track will be a strong challenger.     

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Apterix said:

I do like the Hutchinson + Barker combo - a little timid around tight corners and during close encounters.......

Timid as in two 60+ foot boats doing 40 knots at each other timid?  I have been in situations with two (ice) boats each doing 60 MPH converging at each other, I am not sure what the experience is like up on foils converging on the same gate mark on one of these beasts.  A friend once said of the 72s - imagine standing on top of a semi-truck doing 45 knots with no seatbelts and then driving through a car wash and slamming on the brakes...  These are not mere mortals. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Thanks to SBD for this capture. Pretty darn nice lines for AM... 

68E96051-C99E-47F1-A6DD-D80B6A16EF61.thumb.png.55c3830a7b35c08d31727606434004b9.png

Looks like the sandbags got tossed overboard during that last run?

• Like 2