Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, TimmyHate said:

Good to hear they can still throw some good natured shit around ('no big macs and fries')

NZL is sponsored by McDonalds but at the request of AM brought pizza to the tow in .... funny to see a good natured sponsorship joke .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its clear by Terrrys responses that there is no true leader on AM.  It’s decision mAking by committee.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terry doesnt see what everyone outside the boat is seeing - the fact that there isnt a dedicated tactician... so they will continue to lose in shifty and transient conditions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tropical Madness said:

Terry doesnt see what everyone outside the boat is seeing - the fact that there isnt a dedicated tactician... so they will continue to lose in shifty and transient conditions.

Also, on his answer about reacting to the shift - "if you look at the graph the wind went from 12 to 20 in 3 seconds"


Hard to react to stuff in real-time by looking at a graph in a race debrief 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, .......................... said:

NZL is sponsored by McDonalds but at the request of AM brought pizza to the tow in .... funny to see a good natured sponsorship joke .

Not to mention as a response to a light question if they wished it had been something a bit stronger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terry sounds reasonably optimistic of getting back in time. Great to hear GD offering their boat builders.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am watching the presser again. I missed the beginning. Did he address the runners?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trt131 said:

Hindsight is wonderful.  They were going for the win FFS.

There is no mainsheet, its all hydraulic.  Easing the head open more would not have done anything.

It didn't take hindsight to know they were seriously powered up before they even reached the mark. There were plenty of indications, just need to have your head out of the boat.  Experience bearing off while foiling and overpowered would help.... oh wait, there was one guy on the boat suggesting it was a bad call.  Poor form that he didn't make it more obvious, though no idea what the culture is like on their boat, so no idea how a direct contradiction to the helmsman would go down.

 

Please show me the picture where the hydraulic ram is connected directly to the boom.  Or let me know the name of that soft fiber connection between the ram and the boom.  I'm very interested to learn.

While you're at it, please explain how opening the top of a fat head doesn't spill power.  If there's no power up there, whats the point of a fat head main?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nroose said:

I am watching the presser again. I missed the beginning. Did he address the runners?

Edit - sorry that is -27 minutes or 5 minutes after start.

Yes, at 27 minutes.  Basically, my translation is maybe it wasn't completely eased, he hasn't looked at all the data, but he doesn't feel like that was the issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like on these boats you need to be able to react to something that happens in 40 seconds. But a committee can't do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trt131 said:

I think there is too much emphasis on a couple of issues.  If Dean had taken the soft-cock option by going around the other gate and lost say 20 secs to LR and then further down the track they had fallen into one of the holes in the wind that had developed.  This may have allowed LR to pass AM before the finish. Then the forum would be lit up with how weak Dean was and it was his fault they lost.  Dean took the racing option and so he should have.

As for the runner that is a furphy. I think you will find the main was eased as far as it could go.  There is no long sheet on the main, it is trimmed hydraulically.  These boats are not set up to reach as displacement boats reach with the main well eased.  The apparent wind is always way forward so no need to be able ease the main and jib right out.  The runner is hardly ever eased away on the leeward side but if it is it is just a small amount.  The runner did not stop the main from easing, the system just doesn't allowing to happen.

Boat needs a big red button to hit if risk of capsize that instantly eases everything simultaeosly :"That was Easy"  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nroose said:

Terry looks pretty shaky.

I thought he looked fine. Cool, calm. If anyone can manage their return it's Terry.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my understanding is that some part of the internal framing/stringer punched the hole due to water pressure on outside of hull as it hit side on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lat35sowth said:

So my understanding is that some part of the internal framing/stringer punched the hole due to water pressure on outside of hull as it hit side on?

That's the story.

Not sure I understand how that would result in big ribbons of uni-directional CF hanging outside the hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, IPLore said:

Boat needs a big red button to hit if risk of capsize that instantly eases everything simultaeosly :"That was Easy"  

Once the foils ain't working (in this case rudder) it don't matter what you do in terms of an ease.  Bye-bye.  Talk to folks who sail multis and foil.  The boards have to be working.  Overload them and its over.  And I may need to withdraw my comments re runners.  Not sure they ever get eased or that the boat is set up such that main can even be eased that far.  Designed and set up for apparent wind sailing only perhaps. The hold after that tack and thus (relatively) slow speed bear away may have doomed them and overloaded the rudder foil.  Says the hick from the sticks who is a wanker hack.  Interesting presser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lat35sowth said:

So my understanding is that some part of the internal framing/stringer punched the hole due to water pressure on outside of hull as it hit side on?

They popped a panel from what I heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

I thought he looked fine. Cool, calm. If anyone can manage their return it's Terry.

He probably has 2 hours sleep and half a dozen coffees. He’s allowed to be shaky...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding was that an inside structural frame member pushed out of the hull on impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

They popped a panel from what I heard.

I am not a boat builder or have any knowledge in doing such a thing, however can someone clarify that it was still cut afterwards right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Structural loading and damage could have occurred early on in the speed build coming off the mark causing the foil to angle to change, causing the boat to be unstable. Just a guess. I have seen it happen on fast boats I have sailed on before including mine. TH would be one of the best sailors 99.9% of you would have the privilege of sailing with. The American boat has a hole in it just like American democracy. Both can be fixed but will take some time.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

They popped a panel from what I heard.

That doesn't quite match the evidence.  Why have a "panel" there?

If it was a panel then it wasn't well designed/secured because it should have withstood those forces. 

The foil and foil arm took the brunt of the downward force and  by the time that part of the hull hit the water much of the energy would have been dissipated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Lat35sowth said:

So my understanding is that some part of the internal framing/stringer punched the hole due to water pressure on outside of hull as it hit side on?

the small irate bull that was being raped down below was a different one to the moaning but docile one they've had as a regular, this one was a fiesty little bugger and kicked his way out, held its breath and didnt stop when it hit the beach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, E2nO said:

It was the internal structure - as I had been suspecting: cross beams / struts!

I still would be surprised if that hole was the result from that. Because if so, then the design would have been flawed in the very first place, not distributing the force widespread enough.

I'd say more the case of designing a structure based on slamming load cases that weren't quite that high.  There's always always a risk/reward trade-off between weight and strength in race boats based on expected load cases.  When they've exceeded these all bets are off.  The same thing happens in IMOCAs - recall a few boats having bows rebuilt a few years back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, sledracr said:

That's the story.

Not sure I understand how that would result in big ribbons of uni-directional CF hanging outside the hole.

D'Oh.  Wave action...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kate short for Bob said:

That doesn't quite match the evidence.  Why have a "panel" there?

If it was a panel then it wasn't well designed/secured because it should have withstood those forces. 

The foil and foil arm took the brunt of the downward force and  by the time that part of the hull hit the water much of the energy would have been dissipated.

Crikey listen to what TH said it's pretty black and white.

If you beg to differ give him a ring and fill him in on your concerns regarding Amways designers and engineers failing in their tasks.

  • Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Lat35sowth said:

So my understanding is that some part of the internal framing/stringer punched the hole due to water pressure on outside of hull as it hit side on?

I'd say the panel popped inside out between the frames under extreme slamming load and the strength of the rigid frames sheared the panel along the line of the transverse and longitudinal frames.  That laminate isn't designed to flex, I would imagine, so it just let go.  Chances are that the hull panels around the popped one were also flexed and probably deliaminated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I watched the presser and must admit I'm still none the wiser as to how exactly Patriot got a giant fucking hole.

These pressers remind of the covid ones, where the 'journos' would sooner say something witty about pizzas than ask how the hole got there.

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

The foil and foil arm took the brunt of the downward force and  by the time that part of the hull hit the water much of the energy would have been dissipated.

I'm going off what Terry said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey listen to what TH said it's pretty black and white.

If you beg to differ give him a ring and fill him in on your concerns regarding Amways designers and engineers failing in their tasks.

Just making an observation Priscilla.  If the explanation makes perfect sense to you then fine.

However why isn't there wider damage to the hull if water pressure forces were so great?  They weren't directed at one spot like a fire hose were they?

If there is no other hull damage then the "panel" was a weakness.  Or maybe it was a repair from a previous SNAFU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey listen to what TH said it's pretty black and white.

If you beg to differ give him a ring and fill him in on your concerns regarding Amways designers and engineers failing in their tasks.

 

Just now, DickDastardly said:

I'd say the panel popped inside out between the frames under extreme slamming load and the strength of the rigid frames sheared the panel along the line of the transverse and longitudinal frames.  That laminate isn't designed to flex, I would imagine, so it just let go.  Chances are that the hull panels around the popped one were also flexed and probably deliaminated.

and here i was thinking it was a battery pack for the foils that just went mother in law and departed through that neat square hole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 167149 said:

and here i was thinking it was a battery pack for the foils that just went mother in law and departed through that neat square hole

That stupid rumour did the rounds in here, and on that AC FB group, which is full of idiots.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kate short for Bob said:

However why isn't there wider damage to the hull if water pressure forces were so great?  They weren't directed at one spot like a fire hose were they?

There probably is, and a large area of boat will need to be replaced.  The popped panel was at "Ground Zero" and the loads went over breaking point there while they didn't quite get there in the other panels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

Chances are that the hull panels around the popped one were also flexed and probably deliaminated.

That's what I'm suggesting.  If the forces were so enormous as Hutchison said then you'd expect other "panels" to have been stressed.

The veracity  of what Hutchison said at the presser has to be taken with a grain of salt.  A bit like thinking that AM will take up the offer of Grant Daltons boat builders crawling all over the boat!

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

So I watched the presser and must admit I'm still none the wiser as to how Patriot got a giant fucking hole.

These pressers remind of the covid ones, where the 'journos' would sooner say something witty about pizzas than ask how the hole got there.

You and KB are starting to sound like the SAAC equivalent of QAnon.

 

7 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Just making an observation Priscilla.  If the explanation makes perfect sense to you then fine.

However why isn't there wider damage to the hull if water pressure forces were so great?  

 

They are called frames and stringers and bulkheads.

Oh and floors and keelsons etc etc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kate short for Bob said:

That's what I'm suggesting.  If the forces were so enormous as Hutchison said then you'd expect other "panels" to have been stressed.

The veracity  of what Hutchison said at the presser has to be taken with a grain of salt.  A bit like thinking that AM will take up the offer of Grant Daltons boat builders crawling all over the boat!

I think the ETNZ guys are to be laying up flat panels and stuff, not working on the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Priscilla said:

You and KB are starting to sound like the SAAC equivalent of QAnon.

 

They are called frames and stringers and bulheads.

I'm not suggesting subterfuge... I just don't understand what happened...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

There probably is, and a large area of boat will need to be replaced.  The popped panel was at "Ground Zero" and the loads went over breaking point there while they didn't quite get there in the other panels.

And it's possible that section was the largest "panel' ie greatest span between bulkheads and frames - weakest point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DickDastardly said:

There probably is, and a large area of boat will need to be replaced.  The popped panel was at "Ground Zero" and the loads went over breaking point there while they didn't quite get there in the other panels.

Your metaphor of "Ground Zero" is a good one.  In my opinion it is feasible that all the energy was channelled towards that area rather than just the "water pressure."  The foil foot plant on the water surface would have generated considerable forces that would have travelled and the panel ended up being the focal point.  The cause not just being the hull hitting the water!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

The skin just keeps the water out.  The structure is to link the foil and rig forces.  

Unless you know something that most of us don't know, you're not correct. The skin is an integral part of the structure.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

I'm not suggesting subterfuge... I just don't understand what happened...

Same.  But didn't you know if you don't accept what the "expert" says and suggest the evidence suggests something different then you must be a conspiracist?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take-aways from TH's interview:

  • The skin of the hull was designed to withstand more downwards force, but couldn't cope with landing effectively on it's side. This "guillotined" an area of the hull between the the internal structural members. It is not a "panel" in the full sense of the word.
  • The FCS is kaput. TH did not elaborate. They are transferring the FCS from Defiant.
  • The hull was completely checked using ultra sound during the night, so presumably they have a good idea of where problem areas are.
  • The wiring needs a complete remake. They have spares for all electronic equipment.
  • The closed hydraulics system is OK.

TH sounds cautiously optimist about making it to the finals.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RobG said:

He didn't suggest anything of the sort, he just wanted the journos to ask more pointed questions.

I was referring to Priscilla's comment not Hutchinson's.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

My take-aways from TH's interview:

  • The skin of the hull was designed to withstand more downwards force, but couldn't cope with landing effectively on it's side. This "guillotined" an area of the hull between the the internal structural members. It is not a "panel" in the full sense of the word.
  • The FCS is kaput. TH did not elaborate. They are transferring the FCS from Defiant.
  • The hull was completely checked using ultra sound during the night, so presumably they have a good idea of where problem areas are.
  • The wiring needs a complete remake. They have spares for all electronic equipment.
  • The closed hydraulics system is OK.

TH sounds cautiously optimist about making it to the finals.

So they're out of the round robins? That just leaves two races between INEOS and LR, so one day's racing out of 3.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to finish watching the press conference later this eve.  But its a bit brutal to just put Terry up there solo on his office chair. Considering the lack is sleep he's likely dealing with, never mind the stress.  I thought he's handling himself rather well.

Interesting that the portion of the hull that was broken by the force of water was seen floating behind Patriot just moments after the crash.   I would have expected that to be inside the boat, or taken awhile to be sucked out.  Unless it initially cracked and then was torn off and away from the boat, as opposed to one neat panel being punched out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RobG said:

So they're out of the round robins? That just leaves two races between INEOS and LR, so one day's racing out of 3.

That's if they reschedule them to the same day.

Also means ironically that AM don't lose much (racing-wise) because the others only get 2 races that they don't. (And the others presumably have to trot out and complete a couple of legs to win the AM no-shows... not that either need to worry about those once INEOS gets win 5 anyway).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

So I watched the presser and must admit I'm still none the wiser as to how exactly Patriot got a giant fucking hole.

These pressers remind of the covid ones, where the 'journos' would sooner say something witty about pizzas than ask how the hole got there.

TH was quite clear about it. A section of the hull, framed by structural components, was "guillotined" [TH's words]. It was a "panel" only in the sense that it was an area surrounded by frames etc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nroose said:

I am watching the presser again. I missed the beginning. Did he address the runners?

So what is the deal or no deal with the runner? Not eased, never eased, failed, or....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

TH was quite clear about it. A section of the hull, framed by structural components, was "guillotined" [TH's words]. It was a "panel" only in the sense that it was an area surrounded by frames etc.

I don't get the guillotine metaphor.

image.png.156f2cefbde2d425c4ae01ad7996324d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish he elaborated on the FCS being fucked. Electrical, mechanical, etc, etc ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kate short for Bob said:

I don't get the guillotine metaphor.

Think of a hydraulic press that "punches" out shapes in a sheet of material like steel.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

So what is the deal or no deal with the runner? Not eased, never eased, failed, or....?

Sounds like the runner set up has an ease preset which wasn't sufficient in length or run to stop the mid mainsail battens from getting arrested.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Sounds like the runner set up has an ease preset which wasn't sufficient in length or run to stop the mid mainsail battens from getting arrested.

"Sounds like" - are you making things up again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ Swear all you like, can't help you if you see no similarity, and can't grasp the comparison.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Sounds like the runner set up has an ease preset which wasn't sufficient in length or run to stop the mid mainsail battens from getting arrested.

Yes, that's pretty much what TH was suggesting. They may have a few presets... would have to ease off the backstay to allow max.twist as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Unless you know something that most of us don't know, you're not correct. The skin is an integral part of the structure.

I know nothing more than what I see and from the carbon boats that I've owned.  Seems to me that if that hull was doing much more than laterally locating the structural frame members, it might have been tabbed in a great deal more than that.  Unless the panel broke out at the inner edge of the tabbing to the structural elements.  I still expect that the internal structure is more of a truss framework that can be resolved in tension and compression than a stressed shell.

But still, for boat's that are expected to do 45 knots in an unstable configuration I would expect more impact resistance than that.  

Just an internet opinion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

"Sounds like" - are you making things up again?

For someone who doesn't know what a panel is, you could be a bit more humble perhaps.

BTW, a panel is a panel, not a "panel". In yacht design anyway.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

"Sounds like" - are you making things up again?

Not as gloriously removed from reality like cutting a larger hole in a sinking boat.

Kate it would be of benefit to us all if you simply just listened to what TH had to say he was there I can't quite pick you out in that crowd of salvors.

  • Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old boat builder saying “ if it breaks its too light, if it doesn’t break its too heavy”

Hull laminates are designed to withstand working loads plus a safety margin, the larger the safety margin the heavier the boat. 
No one to blame for this. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Enzedel92 said:

Its clear by Terrrys responses that there is no true leader on AM.  It’s decision mAking by committee.  

Trump will be available shortly.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jsn7821 said:

Unprompted, "we're fortunate we got both batteries out of the boat" 

Does jettisoning one to the bottom of the Gulf count?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

TH was quite clear about it. A section of the hull, framed by structural components, was "guillotined" [TH's words]. It was a "panel" only in the sense that it was an area surrounded by frames etc.

Like this?
1376851706_ScreenShot2021-01-18at5_22_02PM.thumb.png.10c9474258fbcb5b710706b227e85769.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patriot is flawed boat, its cross section is like martini glass, while other teams have more rounded cross section. This martini glass flatnes really isnt ideal since flat panels are structuraly less stiff than rounded, especially in case of landing flat on water like they did its prety obvious that those thin panels take lots of force. Since force is transfered through internal ribs/structure the weak points are in between those two. That also explains that square shapped hole. There was part that fell off the boat, it looks twisted. Perhaps hole as it is was created that one of the corners of this hole gave way, i suppose upper left, there it twisted inwards, but since panel has some resistance and rushing water at high speeds is destructive it folded the plate and tore it away. I did some 3D model of stages, but that happened in instant. It would also explain strange folded shape of missing part that floated behind. Also Terry believes it was the brute force of impact that guilioutined plate away from surrounding structure.

1240327-03.thumb.jpeg.8c0819f2c70533db8261555b417682bdb.jpg

Hole.jpg

am1sm.jpg.d4d46b066e8f27ad659c7986aac737bc.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

That's what I'm suggesting.  If the forces were so enormous as Hutchison said then you'd expect other "panels" to have been stressed.

The veracity  of what Hutchison said at the presser has to be taken with a grain of salt.  A bit like thinking that AM will take up the offer of Grant Daltons boat builders crawling all over the boat!

So you did not listen then.  He said the ex-TNZ builders would make the panel/s, AMWAY builder will do the detail.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rh3000 said:

Like this?
1376851706_ScreenShot2021-01-18at5_22_02PM.thumb.png.10c9474258fbcb5b710706b227e85769.png

Haha... yes, kinda. Perhaps with straighter edges where the shear forces are greatest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zonker said:

Oh that's worse than the picture I posted. I've circled in red what I *think* is damaged hull skin. The outline in blue is probably what you would cut out to do a repair. For a repair like this you don't do a piecemeal effort. You just cut a nice big rectangular hole and capture all the damaged area. You're minimizing the lap perimeter thus minimizing weight.

Edit - the area on top of the hole circled in red might be the reflection of a ladder!

You can see the frame through the hole that probably supports the foil hardware.

Jan 29th? Sucking air through teeth sound. "Maybe gov'nor, just maybe". But I wouldn't bet on it.

image.thumb.png.1ac018191a1272cc8abb6d97202be481.png

It certainly supports TH's theory that coming down at an angle on a flat panel punched a hole in the boat and has compromised other areas also.

TH also said the Foil Control system was 'cooked' and that they have to use the one out of Defiant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

they have to use the one out of Defiant.

He also said the FCS from Defiant had been recently serviced. Interesting that they were still doing maintenance on the old boat - good foresight.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

That stupid rumour did the rounds in here, and on that AC FB group, which is full of idiots.

Yeah, guess I too couldn't think of a better explanation for a hole of that shape, than a battery tearing through the hull.  Half the fun at this forum is trying to analyse stuff about these complex boats, based on a very limited set of facts! :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

They popped a panel from what I heard.

From what TH said, a chunk of ETNZ boatbuilders are being contracted to produce some flat panels. That suggests the internal structure is pretty second hand also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have thought it would be more monocoque than old fashioned stringers and bulkheads. Was that a piece floating nearby? How would that happen if pressed inwards? Also how does a Hull skin fail with only a few metres of vertical wallowing up and down, like boats are supposed to do. 

TH is showing he is a good leader, supporting his guys and not shying away from the challenge of rebuilding. Note the tongue in cheek about telling shore crew to be ready by friday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the Patriot mold in Auckland?

If not, would they take a splash of the existing portion of hull and work up from there? Just haven't seen that done with so much missing or damaged hull.

What did TH mean by "flat panels"? That apparently the Kiwi boat builders are going to layup. I'm assuming that he means the hull panels and that they aren't actually flat?  Or is he referring to something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

From what TH said, a chunk of ETNZ boatbuilders are being contracted to produce some flat panels. That suggests the internal structure is pretty second hand also. 

The quote the Italian duo, "Exactly, exactly". That they have to replace the FCS, in one of the most reinforced areas of the boat, sure points towards structural damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

I too couldn't think of a better explanation for a hole of that shape, than a battery tearing through the hull.

The whole idea that something internal broke loose and produced a nice rectangular hole was ludicrous.

4 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

From what TH said, a chunk of ETNZ boatbuilders are being contracted to produce some flat panels. That suggests the internal structure is pretty second hand also. 

I didn't think he was too specific on what they'd build, but flat panels might mean internal bulk heads, frames etc.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MaxHugen said:

That they have to replace the FCS, in one of the most reinforced areas of the boat, sure points towards structural damage.

I'd say the flooding cooked the FCS. Just a guess though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Horn Rock said:

The whole idea that something internal broke loose and produced a nice rectangular hole was ludicrous.

:lol:  You clearly never watched Wile E Coyote as a kid

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tDot said:

If not, would they take a splash of the existing portion of hull and work up from there?

Could they use the opposite side to get the shape?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

The whole idea that something internal broke loose and produced a nice rectangular hole was ludicrous.

I didn't think he was too specific on what they'd build, but flat panels might mean internal bulk heads, frames etc.....

That would be internal structure...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tDot said:

Is the Patriot mold in Auckland?

If not, would they take a splash of the existing portion of hull and work up from there? Just haven't seen that done with so much missing or damaged hull.

 

Team Sanya Volvo 70 Repair - watch the Video, large section of hull removed. New Section made up from moulds.

http://en.nauticwebnews.com/3221/sanya-boatbuild-team-cut-away-the-damaged-section-pictures-video/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Could they use the opposite side to get the shape?

It can’t be hard to CNC or 3D print a mould. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chapter Four said:

Team Sany Volvo 70 Repair - watcht the Video, large section of hull removed.

http://en.nauticwebnews.com/3221/sanya-boatbuild-team-cut-away-the-damaged-section-pictures-video/

Cool video,  but they built the replacement section of the hull before Sanya was delivered.  So I presume from a mould.  But it's that process that I'm curious about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Could they use the opposite side to get the shape?

Opposite side is a mirror image, not a copy, so I assume not. But just an assumption on my part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tDot said:

Cool video,  but they built the replacement section of the hull before Sanya was delivered.  So I presume from a mold.  But it's that process that I'm curious about.

From memory, Salthouse Boatbuilders in NZ built the mould and the part from 3D files from the Farr plans whilst the boat was in transit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites