Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Herfy said:

yes NYYC did, it sure would be nice if they used American sailors for this cup.

I count 10.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Earl Boebert said:

I must admit that seeing "Airbus" on the side of an American entry in a supposed nation-based competition is a bit jarring to somebody who worked in aerospace in the last fifty years or so :)

Cheers,

Earl

 

It is but OR had it on their boat last cycle so the shock has worn off for me.

WetHog   :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, WetHog said:

It is but OR had it on their boat last cycle so the shock has worn off for me.

WetHog   :ph34r:

Didn't realize that, but then, I didn't watch the last cycle.

Cheers,

Earl

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is both overdue and unsurprising. Parker have a great track record from Bermuda with the barcode driven ram actuators. What is more surprising in this day and age of multi platformed media is how this is tweeted but not conversant with or duplicated by the team website.

I hope the team performance and development is not related or reflected by their PR/Commication/ Marketing department.

This is the time of year when they could be drip feeding lots of media - the lull between end of S2H and before the take up by RORC600 & Carribean season - when many desk bound sailing peeps are hankering for anything to take them away from a Northern Hemisphere winter woes - with lots of Bang for their buck.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Boink said:

This is both overdue and unsurprising. Parker have a great track record from Bermuda with the barcode driven ram actuators. What is more surprising in this day and age of multi platformed media is how this is tweeted but not conversant with or duplicated by the team website.

I hope the team performance and development is not related or reflected by their PR/Commication/ Marketing department.

This is the time of year when they could be drip feeding lots of media - the lull between end of S2H and before the take up by RORC600 & Carribean season - when many desk bound sailing peeps are hankering for anything to take them away from a Northern Hemisphere winter woes - with lots of Bang for their buck.......

It is on the American Magic Facebook page and website.

https://americanmagic.americascup.com/en/news/19_PARKER-HANNIFIN-NAMED-OFFICIAL-CONTROL-SYSTEMS-PARTNER.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Boink said:

I hope the team performance and development is not related or reflected by their PR/Commication/ Marketing department.

I agree, I think they're going to lose a lot of points in the challenger series for the PR & Marketing portion of the competition.  I think they'll be ok in the swimsuit contest, but the Italians remain the heavy favorite.  This is just my opinion, but Ben Ainslie and Team Ineos has the talent competition locked down, rumor has it he'll be performing a series of long jumps from the boat onto RIBs.  Stars & Stripes will be a close 2nd in talent if they really plan on riding Dennis Conner like a bull while singing "God Bless America."

 

A lot could change before the first start, let's not be too quick to judge.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Boink said:

Not on their partner page.....

So they have a press release on their webpage and facebook, but have not yet updated the partners page and you say they are terrible at PR.  OK

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2018 at 9:56 AM, Earl Boebert said:

I must admit that seeing "Airbus" on the side of an American entry in a supposed nation-based competition is a bit jarring to somebody who worked in aerospace in the last fifty years or so :)

At least they weren't called "Airbus Team USA". :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Herfy said:

So they have a press release on their webpage and facebook, but have not yet updated the partners page and you say they are terrible at PR.  OK

 

At the time of my writing - it was on neither...... front page or partner page - and still isn't on the partner page - oh hell, please lets qualify, at submission time......

I didn't use the word terrible - you did. I have explained why it is poor, and a missed opportunity - and how it could be so much more impactful by doing their job properly, and at none to negligable, extra cost. Do not forget to put all this into the context of the many failed sponsor/team/event relationships that the sport of sailing has spoiled throughout this age of professionalism and commercialisation. 

I expressed my hope that the team is not represented by such amateurish actions - and I still do. 

Deal with it - OK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Front Page "That Dumb!" American Magic (Dislike of the name American Magic)

Why the hate with the name? Does it really matter? Black Magic never got criticised , no it not's a country and American Magic is, not being American I can't relate to the hate for the name. Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, terrafirma said:

From the Front Page "That Dumb!" American Magic (Dislike of the name American Magic)

Why the hate with the name? Does it really matter? Black Magic never got criticised , no it not's a country and American Magic is, not being American I can't relate to the hate for the name. Thoughts?

Couldn't agree more..... grow up and let them get on with it.

I'm not a fan of the American way... too in your face on the marketing front. but these guys mean business and are putting forward a very competitive campaign with loads of class talent in the team.

If you want to win the cup, you need the right people! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Purple Headed Warrior said:

Couldn't agree more..... grow up and let them get on with it.

I'm not a fan of the American way... too in your face on the marketing front. but these guys mean business and are putting forward a very competitive campaign with loads of class talent in the team.

If you want to win the cup, you need the right people! 

 

 

Wasn't there a post on the FP praising Bella Mente the other day?  Isn't American Magic the same guys?  The "That Dumb" post reads like a Trump tweet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Wasn't there a post on the FP praising Bella Mente the other day?  Isn't American Magic the same guys?  The "That Dumb" post reads like a Trump tweet.  

There was..... saying that Bella is going to be a weapon straight out of the box! 

Its not the smartest post that I have seen on SA and I dont usually disagree with many of them... If any of them...

AM is looking in good shape

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren't all peoples from North and South America considered Americans? At least they're not throwing around the word "patriot".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, woahboy said:

Aren't all peoples from North and South America considered Americans? At least they're not throwing around the word "patriot".

American Magic is a combination of the first two US boats that sailed in the AC (America and Magic).

I do hate a great deal of the false national pride that is thrown around in this country (USA), many say they love the country but then bash the government programs that they live off of...

Technically I would think that people from both SA and NA may be Americans, but the practical use of the term American is used for residents of the USA.  We are not called United Statians (yea, I know there are a lot of "other names" used...).  Brazil doesn't play American football.

Oxford dictionary defines American as:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american

ADJECTIVE

  • 1Relating to or characteristic of the United States or its inhabitants.

    ‘the election of a new American president’
     
    More example sentences
    1. 1.1 Relating to the continents of America.
      ‘the American continent south of the tropic of Cancer’
       
      More example sentences
       

      NOUN

      • 1A native or citizen of the United States.

         
        Example sentences
        1. 1.1 A native or inhabitant of any of the countries of North, South, or Central America.
           
          Example sentences
      • 2mass noun The English language as it is used in the United States; American English.

         
        Example sentences
       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 Americans on the sailing team and all the principles are American (Roger Penske?!?!).  Works for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't mean to start a s**t storm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, woahboy said:

Aren't all peoples from North and South America considered Americans? At least they're not throwing around the word "patriot".

No, you have Anglo's and Latinos. Remember Spain fucked up most of the new world after they funded Colombo. :)
The Spanish had sex with the natives to make the Mexicans and the rest of the fucked up south american countries.
Father Sierra tortured the Chumash to convert them and the Vatican made him a saint. The Euros are fucked up.

But I do like the sailing team, they seem mostly from NA. In today's sports, it is tough to get a truly native team.

Scot should get his head out of his ass.

My only question is why, do they not have a team in the Superfoiler series??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wheras north america they just did genocide, so much better & more civilised :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hoom said:

Wheras north america they just did genocide, so much better & more civilised :wub:

Not quite sure the natives of Orkland were too gentle on those the met from about 700 to 1200 AD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Varan said:

Okay, I'm confused. Is Hawaii America?

Hawaii is America but not the Americas...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

No, you have Anglo's and Latinos. Remember Spain fucked up most of the new world after they funded Colombo. :)
The Spanish had sex with the natives to make the Mexicans and the rest of the fucked up south american countries.
Father Sierra tortured the Chumash to convert them and the Vatican made him a saint. The Euros are fucked up.

But I do like the sailing team, they seem mostly from NA. In today's sports, it is tough to get a truly native team.

Scot should get his head out of his ass.

My only question is why, do they not have a team in the Superfoiler series??

 

Stars and Stripes is an all US team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 12:21 PM, NeedAClew said:

Well, this Cup the "American" crew roster has more New Zealanders than Australians. https://americanmagic.americascup.com/en/team 

I heard from some locals that all the sheep farmers in Rhode Island had to go to around the clock security as a precaution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RumLine said:

I heard from some locals that all the sheep farmers in Rhode Island had to go to around the clock security as a precaution.

True... the locals are indeed *that ugly* that antipodeans sought comfort elsewhere... ;-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2019 at 11:56 AM, Herfy said:

Stars and Stripes is an all US team.

Except for the whole design team right? Buying the package from ETNZ....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, viraproas said:

Except for the whole design team right? Buying the package from ETNZ....

Meh, that's exactly like every other sport, most international representative teams have loads of none nationals in the coaching and support roles.

There are probably 20 or 30 other people supporting any major international football or rugby team and they just get the best available regardless of passport, this goes all the way up to and including the head coach in most cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, viraproas said:

Except for the whole design team right? Buying the package from ETNZ....

They purchased the design package to catch up, just as many of the other teams.  As you know, they have their own design team that will customize it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least Stars&Stripes is making an effort to have US people as crew and on its face being less clubby/snobby about tryouts.  Nice contrast to the old Oracle Team Australia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 9:26 AM, Herfy said:

They purchased the design package to catch up, just as many of the other teams.  As you know, they have their own design team that will customize it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RumLine said:

 

I never brought myself to watch Wind.  What was the story behind the Whomper?  Did it exploit a rule or was it just.... bigger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I never brought myself to watch Wind.  What was the story behind the Whomper?  Did it exploit a rule or was it just.... bigger?

It was a masthead kite on a 12 meter. Or if you believe the movie, it was shaped like beetle wings. Not kidding. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 1:26 AM, Herfy said:

As you know, they have their own design team that will customize it. 

Looking forward to seeing what sort of outriggers they come up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some more on AM's the Mule.

https://www.sailingworld.com/american-magic-crew-explores-new-foiling-dynamics-ac75

The inherent instability of a keel-less monohull means that down-speed maneuvering is extremely risky. We’ve all heard the sailing axiom that “speed is your friend,” and when it comes to this new type of foiling boat, this is categorically true. The Mule is a handful to sail when on the foils, demanding the complete concentration of helm and trim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Some more on AM's the Mule.

https://www.sailingworld.com/american-magic-crew-explores-new-foiling-dynamics-ac75

The inherent instability of a keel-less monohull means that down-speed maneuvering is extremely risky. We’ve all heard the sailing axiom that “speed is your friend,” and when it comes to this new type of foiling boat, this is categorically true. The Mule is a handful to sail when on the foils, demanding the complete concentration of helm and trim.

It's difficult to have respect for a publication that so horribly mangles the English language and turns non sequiturs into an art form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RobG said:

It's difficult to have respect for a publication that so horribly mangles the English language and turns non sequiturs into an art form.

We now know the widening expanse of what we do not know. The anxiety of that awareness is not as cozy and warm as the bliss of our ignorance before embarking on this project. So, as we move into the short days and dark nights of winter, we press on, waiting for the bumps in the night that we know will come.

Some rather funny prose indeed for a sailing blurb.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

We now know the widening expanse of what we do not know. The anxiety of that awareness is not as cozy and warm as the bliss of our ignorance before embarking on this project. So, as we move into the short days and dark nights of winter, we press on, waiting for the bumps in the night that we know will come.

Some rather funny prose indeed for a sailing blurb.......

Woah, woah, woah! THAT sounds like it might have been written by a PR team!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Monkey said:

It was a masthead kite on a 12 meter. Or if you believe the movie, it was shaped like beetle wings. Not kidding. 

Nup, still don’t want to watch it. Thanks though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

THAT sounds like it might have been written by a PR team!?

Yeah, a third rate one.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Woah, woah, woah! THAT sounds like it might have been written by a PR team!?

This guy perhaps? :wacko:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hoom said:

This guy perhaps? :wacko:

 

As a side note, "Unks" and "Unk Unks" were common jargon in US military R&D circles (DARPA) as early as 1970. And now a lot of people think Rumsfeld invented the terms.

Cheers,

Earl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:10 AM, Ex-yachtie said:

I never brought myself to watch Wind.  What was the story behind the Whomper?  Did it exploit a rule or was it just.... bigger?

WIND IS WORTH IT ONLY ENTERTAINMENT VALUE, BUT THE I14 SCENE IS FUN. THERES SOME GOOD STUFF IN IT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mariner said:

WIND IS WORTH IT ONLY ENTERTAINMENT VALUE, BUT THE I14 SCENE IS FUN. THERES SOME GOOD STUFF IN IT. 

Agreed. Pathetic story line but some good sailing action.  By far the best was the I14 segment.  Some of the best small boat racing footage i the can up until that point, helped of course because it was staged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 11:25 PM, Horn Rock said:

Yeah, a third rate one.....

Well...it was attributed to Andrew Campbell...so not really journalism.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Semorseiii said:

F970FB9B-C3FA-448B-AC5E-7CA4A916765A.thumb.jpeg.d89f0448543c470dc61df9266f33551d.jpeg

The Mule was enjoying the breeze yesterday!

Damn, I just spent about two weeks near the Pensacola area and totally forgot to look for AM or their base!  I even had a very nice lunch at Hemingway's Island Grill which is near the buildings in the background of this picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now