4 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Sigh. I don't. You don't even seem to pay attention to what you write yourself, let alone what I write. Pointless.

So what do you want? One minute you want videos of "Transitions" then you don't, then you do, then you don't.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Those are the only teams operating surrogates. Meanwhile ETNZ and Team Spacemen are producing happy smiley PR videos. So your suggestion that they are too busy to do so is also incorrect. 

All this is conjecture...short memories even although etnz jogged our recollections a few weeks ago with their video of secret testing on a lake somewhere in 34. Was this a clever hint?

3 hours ago, barfy said:

All this is conjecture...short memories even although etnz jogged our recollections a few weeks ago with their video of secret testing on a lake somewhere in 34. Was this a clever hint?

The other teams got caught out by this in 34, but probably wouldn't let that happen again, nor would etnz remind people of that fact.

3 hours ago, pusslicker said:

The other teams got caught out by this in 34, but probably wouldn't let that happen again, nor would etnz remind people of that fact.

Nope, yur right. They didn't just post a history of foiling vid to coincide with the failgp launch, detailing their sneaky lil tow sessions on a lake somewhere.

Not saying it's happening, but I reckon there is an even chance tnz or lr are doing some kind of practical verification of their respective models, even if they don't have a surrogate.

2 hours ago, barfy said:

Nope, yur right. They didn't just post a history of foiling vid to coincide with the failgp launch, detailing their sneaky lil tow sessions on a lake somewhere.

Not saying it's happening, but I reckon there is an even chance tnz or lr are doing some kind of practical verification of their respective models, even if they don't have a surrogate.

Yeah. I would bet they are doing some kind of verification, but I'm sure it's not towing shit around a lake in NZ.

3 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Yeah. I would bet they are doing some kind of verification, but I'm sure it's not towing shit around a lake in NZ.

I’ve often wondered if there’s a small lake somewhere, tucked away in some private land, with a boat ramp. 

On 4/1/2019 at 7:34 AM, Forourselves said:

Yep, and those that are, aren't showing maneuvers, there's a reason for that. 

Prior to Bermuda we got very little video from ETNZ other than them breaking shit behind a container and sailing straight lines with the coastal classic fleet. Plenty of you went on record here to dismiss them as any serious threat ... I mean, why weren't they in Bermuda like the winning teams? One day they couldn't help themselves and ended a regular fluff vid with a mint foiling tack which cut off halfway through. GA finishes with " ... yeah, I think we're doing alright".

They were, of course, fucking nailing it. They weren't, of course, prepared to show any more of their hand than they felt the need to.

So, what do we really know about these current on-water teams as we sit behind our keyboards? As much as they want us to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Prior to Bermuda we got very little video from ETNZ other than them breaking shit behind a container and sailing straight lines with the coastal classic fleet. Plenty of you went on record here to dismiss them as any serious threat ... I mean, why weren't they in Bermuda like the winning teams? One day they couldn't help themselves and ended a regular fluff vid with a mint foiling tack which cut off halfway through. GA finishes with " ... yeah, I think we're doing alright".

They were, of course, fucking nailing it. They weren't, of course, prepared to show any more of their hand than they felt the need to.

So, what do we really know about these current on-water teams as we sit behind our keyboards? As much as they want us to.

Bullshit, they were happy to show us the start of a race with the cat sailing where they told us later it was unsafe for a cat.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Bullshit, they were happy to show us the start of a race with the cat sailing where they told us later it was unsafe for a cat.

This has already been discussed. And besides, they weren't racing, and there is no more in that video, than there is in any videos produced by the current teams. Its literally about 20 seconds of straight line sailing.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

This has already been discussed. And besides, they weren't racing, and there is no more in that video, than there is in any videos produced by the current teams.

The discussion was not about racing but showing the boat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

You are aware that conditions are variable on the ocean right? Like some days it's as flat as a pancake other times with massive waves? You're aware if this notion?

^oh I thought the AC races were only ever held on light days with glassy conditions?  

4 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

The discussion was whether or not the boats could race in Auckland. To date, no one has raced and AC50 around an Americas Cup course in anger. I suspect no one ever will. But as Dalton stated, "all the training they did was behind Waiheke in the shelter"

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

The discussion was whether or not the boats could race in Auckland. To date, no one has raced and AC50 around an Americas Cup course in anger. I suspect no one ever will. But as Dalton stated, "all the training they did was behind Waiheke in the shelter"

Suspect you mean AC75?  Or F50 which has only been raced in business.

Was kidding about conditions though Bermuda was pretty placid ;)

19 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I’ve often wondered if there’s a small lake somewhere, tucked away in some private land, with a boat ramp. 

I’m sure there is (not really small, though). Hell, the company I work for owns one. We call it Lake X. It’s sole purpose is testing away from prying eyes. 

5 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I’m sure there is (not really small, though). Hell, the company I work for owns one. We call it Lake X. It’s sole purpose is testing away from prying eyes. 

You can only observe so much in a following boat. There were truck loads of people following the bicycle powered ETNZ in the last cup. It became a race about hydraulic power yet nobody came within co-wee of TNZ. It was one of the most one sided races in the cup's history. Like the cup before it when ETNZ also started with a substantial advantage. If having nobody follow you around the course was a massive advantage I'm sure they would find a lake somewhere. Really at the end of the day it's the ingenuity and the mindset of the winner that wins the cup. There are leaders and then there are followers. Leaders win....

7 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Suspect you mean AC75?  Or F50 which has only been raced in business.

Was kidding about conditions though Bermuda was pretty placid ;)

No one has seen an AC50 race in Auckland in anger. Watching a 10 second promotional video of straight line sailing does not constitute the ability to successfully race the AC50's in Auckland. 

Wonder how the AC50's/ F50's would handle this stuff.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

^^ That's the AC72. More evoluted F50 will make it surely faster, probably safer.

I seriously doubt that, the ETNZ AC72 was massively over engineered given it was built to race in starting conditions up to 33 knots (leading somewhat to it's eventual downfall, although it did save them from a nasty going down the mine incident).  An AC50 or F50 was never designed or engineered to go anywhere near 33 knots and in fact they looked down right ropey and dangerous in the 20 odd knots maximum on basically flat water we saw in Bermuda!

Edited by Boybland
typo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Boybland said:

I seriously doubt that, the ETNZ AC72 was massively over engineered given it was built to race in starting conditions up to 33 knots (leading somewhat to it's eventual downfall, although it did save them from a nasty going down the mine incident).  An AC50 or F50 was never designed or engineered to go anywhere near 33 knots and in fact they looked down right ropey and dangerous in the 20 odd knots maximum on basically flat water we saw in Bermuda!

I think what you meant to say there was that it was well engineered, but the rules were changed and it was never able to be used at its full potential. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

^^ That's the AC72. More evoluted F50 will make it surely faster, probably safer.

good spotting TC...what, the title on the thumbnail you looked at? And please, do expound on what evolution the F50 has taken that will let it handle high winds and seas? 

But i know that cats in the Huaraki Gulf is one of your pet peeves that you keep coming back to with no knowledge of the area...the discussion was ..

On 4/2/2019 at 2:09 PM, Forourselves said:

but you managed to slip in one of your favourite burps.

11 hours ago, Boybland said:

Agreed, the AC72 was perfect for those conditions and sadly could not race in it. However F50 are now 2 generations ahead, with new rules, new techno, so faster for the same windspeed (the AC50 already were) and probably safer thanks to dynamic controls. That said it is true that they have been designed to sail on flat water.

1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Agreed, the AC72 was perfect for those conditions and sadly could not race in it. However F50 are now 2 generations ahead, with new rules, new techno, so faster for the same windspeed (the AC50 already were) and probably safer thanks to dynamic controls. That said it is true that they have been designed to sail on flat water.

New rule, new techno, faster doesn't always equal safer. The Ultime Trimarans are proof of that. It was the old technology of IDEC Sport that proved to be the winning factor in the Route Du Rhum with a 12 year old boat beating the much vaunted Foiling Trimarans of Macif and Banque Populaire. The 2 new Trimarans were a generation ahead but still couldn't win the race. Infact they struggled just to finish.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

New rule, new techno, faster doesn't always equal safer. The Ultime Trimarans are proof of that. It was the old technology of IDEC Sport that proved to be the winning factor in the Route Du Rhum with a 12 year old boat beating the much vaunted Foiling Trimarans of Macif and Banque Populaire. The 2 new Trimarans were a generation ahead but still couldn't win the race. Infact they struggled just to finish.

Wrong comparison, you are comparing foiling trimarans with older tris. Obviously older are more stable, but we are comparing foiling cats for which control is key to stability, so yes, you may hate it, but F50 may be more stable than the AC72 and the AC50 which are from an older generation. And if you and your pals are able to read correctly, I said "may".

^ Dream on....

If you watched the recent video you would realise that the F50 are just electrified versions of losing technology rather than an advance. Manual button pushing! They even still have a main sheet winch - so a generation behind a decent AC50......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nav said:

If you watched the recent video you would realise that the F50 are just electrified versions of losing technology rather than an advance. Manual button pushing! They even still have a main sheet winch - so a generation behind a decent AC50......

^^ A generation behind and already faster, as sailors tell, and it's just the first iteration while the new AC boat try to fix their foil arm :)

On 4/1/2019 at 7:10 AM, Forourselves said:

Yes I did, because someone else said "Another video showing no transitions" which is when I said, they probably don't wanna show transitions in the public domain because it may let the cat out of the bag so to speak. Yes other teams are following them around, but those teams are also not going to show any of those in the public domain because they can still learn from them. Its one thing to have other teams recon teams following you around, its a completely different issue throwing those techniques out onto the internet for public consumption. ETNZ learned that the hard way in 2013.

As I heard from my sources then the mule gybes OKish but tacking is a real problem.   This may stem from their design philosophy to high fly and get as much of the arms out of the water as possible for least drag, and the big foils seen are to get to that state asap. They do have their crashes as well, just haven't made them public. The poms are or have been on another design route and maybe it'll simply be the easiest boat to control that will take the chocolates, not necessarily the fastest when all is going well.

10 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

^^ A generation behind and already faster, as sailors tell, and it's just the first iteration while the new AC boat try to fix their foil arm :)

Too bad they can't do a dry lap.

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Yeah sure, whatever you say TC - good for them. How about you take your man-love for all the irrelevant AC wannabes in their coulda/woulda/shoulda recycled wonder boats off to a multihull forum somewhere eh? Going on and on about Larry's Spite Cup & sailor social welfare program here is trolling pure.......

Maybe drop us a line when they are consistently sailing the whole course dry so we can all marvel at the development.

10 hours ago, GBH said:

As I heard from my sources then the mule gybes OKish but tacking is a real problem.   This may stem from their design philosophy to high fly and get as much of the arms out of the water as possible for least drag, and the big foils seen are to get to that state asap. They do have their crashes as well, just haven't made them public. The poms are or have been on another design route and maybe it'll simply be the easiest boat to control that will take the chocolates, not necessarily the fastest when all is going well.

We were shown some nice tacks from mini frack early in the show I believe. I would hope they have improved, although always the question of some auto control that the fleshy bits are trying to emulate.

And yes, whoever gets up and can stay dry will have a huge advantage until other teams figure out the secret sauce. Remember etnz's roll tacks that OR had down within a week.

5 hours ago, nav said:

Yeah sure, whatever you say TC - good for them. How about you take your man-love for all the irrelevant AC wannabes in their coulda/woulda/shoulda recycled wonder boats off to a multihull forum somewhere eh? Going on and on about Larry's Spite Cup & sailor social welfare program here is trolling pure.......

Maybe drop us a line when they are consistently sailing the whole course dry so we can all marvel at the development.

I have been an Oracle critic but I don't share your spite.

I like fast boats, the F50 is now the best in its class and overshadows the last generation. Trying to find the of dry laps that happened in different conditions shows you and your bitter buddies pathetic try to grasp a past superiority.

I hope the AC75 will do even better but we still have a lot of serious question marks.

7 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I have been an Oracle critic but I don't share your spite.

I like fast boats, the F50 is now the best in its class and overshadows the last generation. Trying to find the of dry laps that happened in different conditions shows you and your bitter buddies pathetic try to grasp a past superiority.

I hope the AC75 will do even better but we still have a lot of serious question marks.

It should be the best in its class, as its the only boat in its class! You go on about others "pathetic try to grasp a past superiority" and then say it "overshadows the last generation" when there is no past generation of F50. The AC50 was specifically designed to a class rule. If the F50 is a second generation, it would also need to conform to the AC50 class rule, which it doesn't, which makes it a completely different class. So it overshadows nothing as long as it doesn't conform to the previous AC50 class rule.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, dg_sailingfan said:

No, it doesn't when you have smaller Boats like the AC50.

My Point is: Bigger Boats = More Maintenance = More People = More Funds/Money needed.

Bigger Boats = More Maintenance = More People = More Funds/Money needed - and a better event. And thats all that matters.

The AC50's are beach cats compared to these things. The AC is about the best technology, not the second best technology, the second best boats and the second best teams.

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

It's not a great Event when you have only 3 serious Teams challenging and the "others" losing by 5+ Minutes like we saw during the LVC Round Robin in 2013 when Luna Rossa Challenge despite purchasing a Design from ETNZ was severely overmatched. And that's excatly what's going to happen in AUCK 2021.

Americas Cup 95, go and watch it. Great event, 4 serious teams (TNZ, 1AUS, Nippon and Tag Heuer) and 2 wooden spooners that had to race each other just to pick up their first win.

Lopsided Racing; 2 or 3 Challengers overmatched; No real Match Racing; Lack of close Racing.

"Lopsided racing" "Lack of close racing" AC35 was one of the most lopsided in the history of the AC! No one would call that AC close.

Grant Dalton is completely out of his tree when he thinks that there can be real Match Racing in these big Boats.

Remember when they said you couldn't match race in the 72's? You're an idiot.

It is a good AC when there are two cutting edge competitors pushing the very limits of everything.  Sailing makes huge leaps !

There are so many regattas AC is not a regatta for my money even though it is seeming to go that way at the moment.

• Like 1

In some vaguely related Cup news; 2 American Magic team members, Jim Turner and Matt Cassidy, were part of the winning GAC Pindar team at the Congressional Cup last week - beating the Stars and Stripes team in the process.....

As repeat, nice boat ...when flying with speed and therefore with rigthing moment. When floating it's a kayak with a Tornado sail.

Excellent vid but they cut it just before it was getting interesting :)

29 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

This concept is unreal!

When one teams own in-progress video is better, slicker and more exciting than all of SGPs hype reels combined!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

As repeat, nice boat ...when flying with speed and therefore with rigthing moment. When floating it's a kayak with a Tornado sail.

Excellent vid but they cut it just before it was getting interesting :)

Oh they showed the results of getting interesting ;-)

1123758079_ScreenShot2019-05-08at12_48_20PM.png.7cfe4ee15ce75c52501d1b53ba55784b.png

11 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

Be respectful, people died in that capsize.

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

1123758079_ScreenShot2019-05-08at12_48_20PM.png.7cfe4ee15ce75c52501d1b53ba55784b.png

^^ Perhaps, but I am not sure, as the boat here fell to lw, while on the vid it's to ww.

There's an elegance and simplicity to the concept that make the cats look clumsy and blundering.

Mule01.jpg.ad375b1fe72fb2fd472443479ac82abf.jpgMule02.jpg.35f0e04542387f32e697126ff1be78ae.jpg

Some interesting shapes in the top of the main. Looks inverted in the ist shot, then pops a few seconds later. Those vertical grey stripes are not on the main in the capsize shot either.

I am a skeptic of this concept, but fuck me if this isn't going to be interesting.  These boats remind me (even in a scaled down version) of watching the 72s sails - they have the 'wow' factor that the 50s could never quite generate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BSPN said:

I am a skeptic of this concept, but fuck me if this isn't going to be interesting.  These boats remind me (even in a scaled down version) of watching the 72s sails - they have the 'wow' factor that the 50s could never quite generate.

This is the thing I find interesting, I don't know if it's just because there is more boat so to speak, but even at 38 feet these have more presence than an AC50, the 75 footers are going to be awe inspiring at speed!

I have to say that if this concept works it would be more interesting than the cats for its simplicity, one hull, no wing. Better, it would remind us the small dinghies we sailed in our youth. We feel at home watching this boat, the trim of sail, everything.

But I remind sceptic on its stability, and if we want to make it stable we have to put a keel and,.... it would be a Qwant.

Anyway, interesting times, I can't wait to see the big ones.

Well. They can transition now. Not slick but, looking like it will be so soon. These guys are fast becoming my number two team. They're humble and just happy to be doing this right now. 

Some frames where blurred screen wasn't blurred

568853628_ScreenShot2019-05-08at10_41_44PM.png.d9c06338417d94e25098b107f9f2d89f.png

60925154_ScreenShot2019-05-08at10_44_59PM.png.63639e1af7f85b9a10a468cc45a46c2e.png

vlcsnap-2019-05-08-22h50m52s331.png.96dd81ab57a74ffb81314c81b49cbde4.png

• Like 5

Nice! This is what I love about SA... @rh2600 was it downwind or upwind in that sequence?

If not mistaken, windspeed estimates were around 10 kts.

37 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

Some frames where blurred screen wasn't blurred

568853628_ScreenShot2019-05-08at10_41_44PM.png.d9c06338417d94e25098b107f9f2d89f.png

Am I right to read 31kts à 220 degrees from the wind ?

13 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Looks that way. In 10 knots of wind approximately just guessing from the background of the water

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 7:09 PM, Sea420 said:

Well. They can transition now. Not slick but, looking like it will be so soon. These guys are fast becoming my number two team. They're humble and just happy to be doing this right now. 

Their my number two team simply because they are basically the advertising for AC36 at this point in time! Nobody is putting out anything nearly as exciting as this.

They are like ETNZ in AC34, where early footage of them was the only thing really exciting the fans.

17 hours ago, zillafreak said:

Wow at 75 this will be a monster

I'm wondering what the real differences will be now that they seem to have the mule under control. 

The 75 will have more crew, right? And certainly with size comes drama, especially if anything goes sideways, so to speak. 

But am I right thinking that the limiting factor on speed will still be the foils regardless of boat?

Ok, I have a feeling that these boats will be very fast at tacking but rather slow while gybing... Also I wonder if NYYC has heard of sealing the gap between mainsail and boom. I also have a feeling that NYYC will have one of the best mainsheet control systems. It moves so much and so fast just like the ETNZ hummingbird wing. Im guessing it's all electric with a hydro/electric servo controlling the track. Other things to note.... that's definitely the biggest jib track I've ever seen, looks almost over engineered unless they have ridiculous forces going through it which I don't really buy considering how the jib has become less and less relevant in recent cup campaigns. Now let's wait for the real deal. I heard that the first 75 foot batmobiles will be hitting the water in may/june. Exciting times.

On 5/8/2019 at 7:31 AM, Tornado-Cat said:

I read that as -31.0 over 2.20.

For the top number - using a negative number is standard for displaying wind angle on port. And they are on port. My best guess is -31 would be AWA (or TWA, but that seems unlikely). As an aside - how do you get 220° from the wind? There are only 180° on each board!

Bottom number has me stumped. I think there's a decimal point in there between the first and second digits. Watching closely you can see the last digit on the display change from 1 to 0 but I have no idea what it means!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, samsonite said:

Bottom number has me stumped. I think there's a decimal point in there between the first and second digits. Watching closely you can see the last digit on the display change from 1 to 0 but I have no idea what it means!

Ride height? 

Cheers,

Earl

8 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Similarly to INEOS TEAM UK American Magic apparently announced that they will not move to Auckland during the 2019/2020 American Winter. Instead they will be back in Pensacola.

So,

that was massive blunder by Kevin Shoebridge that both the Brits & the Americans would be training in Auckland next Summer.

https://eu.pnj.com/story/news/2019/05/17/americas-cup-team-american-magic-leaving-pensacola-but-not-long/3704855002/

The nationality rules mean they can’t move to nz for training if they have any international crew

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

The nationality rules mean they can’t move to nz for training if they have any international crew

Don't bother engaging the turd

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

I'm not sure thats correct, I believe it's just 50% of the time over several years, they have already spent a tremendous amount of time in the US so they could easily have the majority of te crew in Auckland for a significant amount of time if they thought it would help.

19 minutes ago, Boybland said:

I'm not sure thats correct, I believe it's just 50% of the time over several years, they have already spent a tremendous amount of time in the US so they could easily have the majority of te crew in Auckland for a significant amount of time if they thought it would help.

You need to factor in:

1. time before they signed up.

2. Time that will be spent in NZ before the cup starts

3. Time overseas for other events.

4. Time at home mowing lawn.

5 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

You need to factor in:

1. time before they signed up.

2. Time that will be spent in NZ before the cup starts

3. Time overseas for other events.

4. Time at home mowing lawn.

Time spent away for official events doesn't count as far as I am aware (for obvious reasons).

Who goes home to mow the lawns when they are being paid millions not to...  Just bring your family to you, well unless your wife and children have their own qualification requirements for another event?

1. Is somewhat relevan for late starts I guess.

2. A month maybe two at most?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

60347797_429284850961646_592171602656257

New sails, new foils.

New Security team as well by the looks.

7 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Turd? Your prolly Kevin "Shitbridge" should stop the Shit.

The irony.

44 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

New sails, new foils.

Funny looking geese

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

The irony.

The irony is:

You

Still

The troll.

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

New sails, new foils.

Diagonal head batten too to put some solidity into that top section and likely aid whatever control they are aiming for

the bulb on the new foil is enormous! And (publicly) testing anhedral now

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Diagonal head batten too to put some solidity into that top section and likely aid whatever control they are aiming for

the bulb on the new foil is enormous! And (publicly) testing anhedral now

Airbus and anhedral.! As long as it isn't Boeing.! 

6 hours ago, Forourselves said:

New sails, new foils.

Boeing jets in the background and Airbus backed American team set on winning the AC back. Can't get much more ironic than that.

In all seriousness though, it appears the foils have a much higher aspect ratio compared to the previous ones, the bulb will reduce drag and possibly annoying vortexes at the perpendicular joint from the arm and foil. Looks VERY efficient and VERY fast. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Airbus and anhedral.! As long as it isn't Boeing.! 

There should be a surplus of these very nice anhedral foils available these days...

Image result for 737 max winglet

• Like 1

11 hours ago, barfy said:

The irony is:

You

Still

The troll.

I really wish everyone would stop quoting A4E and SClarke. Those two idiots ruin any hope of actual info. 

• Like 1

America’s Cup: Late but worth the wait

Published on May 20th, 2019

Terry Hutchinson, skipper of New York Yacht Club’s team that’s challenging for the 36th America’s Cup, has been patient. The plan was for American Magic to launch their first AC75 by the first date permitted, March 31st. That was Plan A. So much for Plan A.

What’s missing has been the bird-like foil arms that are being supplied by the Defender and Challenger of Record to all the teams. There are a number of one design parts for the 36th edition, and the foil system was among the list, but problems have slowed the delivery. Scuttlebutt editor Craig Leweck checks in with Terry for an update:

Providing one-design parts is meant to save time and money, right?

It is an effort to do that. Certainly with the development of the control system for the foil arm, and for the actual arm itself, it’s definitely an effort towards trying to equalize gear and to help reduce some of the cost. It’s a complex piece of equipment and what they are doing is not easy, so from our perspective, it’s one less thing we have to focus on.

The rest is a good read by Terry Hutchison here ..

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2019/05/20/americas-cup-late-but-worth-the-wait-2/

• Like 1

The interviewer is really trying to get Terry to say anything negative about the delay but Terry is just not that bothered by it! :lol: 

Good info from Terry...

Plus this solid gold...

1724404156_ScreenShot2019-05-21at3_54_22PM.png.912ba880b486738854c853bb5ec2af1d.png

I'll remember to reuse those words in future..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Good info from Terry...

Plus this solid gold...

1724404156_ScreenShot2019-05-21at3_54_22PM.png.912ba880b486738854c853bb5ec2af1d.png

I'll remember to reuse those words in future..

You don’t think he’s talking about us do you?

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2019/05/20/americas-cup-late-but-worth-the-wait-2/

he foil arms are an immensely vital piece of equipment. Was there ever a time when it was considered to delay the regatta?

Never, but I know there were people on the outside ranting about this possibility, but they were peddling opinion from a position of ignorance. Looking back to 2013, the AC72 was an aggressive design that went through a period that was very, very difficult. Everybody saw the pitfalls of what happened when things weren’t done properly, and that was a tragedy, but that’s also the game we are playing. With the AC75, we continue to reach further into the unknown, and that is hard to do.

So the situation was never remotely close to being that dire?

No. We go out sailing nearly every day on our 50% scale model boat, the Mule, and I can assure you it’s hard. But I can also assure you that it’s safe as well. However, that doesn’t mean people don’t get hurt. The risk of people being hurt, or even worse, is there, but we deal with risk throughout our lives, whatever we are doing, and plan accordingly. So anybody who said the regatta should have been delayed, at the least, had no idea what they were talking about, and perhaps also were serving another agenda outside of winning the regatta.

But this delay had to have been frustrating.

For sure, we’re all dying to get our hands on these parts so that we can get our big boats going, but throughout we continued to encourage the Challenger of Record, who had taken on the task, and Persico, who was the builder, to be prudent, to make sure it is safe for the teams when it’s delivered.

So yes, the delays were unfortunate, but so be it as this was our one opportunity to get it right, and there still is time to learn how to sail our boats.

Answers what many were moaning about...

So it is exactly as we suspected, but now it is a 4 month delay before the first boat is in the water.  And he did say they hull design was rushed in order to make the original March deadline.  He said the design was too conservative and that they will be making changes in the second boat.  So he confirms that if the original deadline was August that the hull would be different on the first boat!

10 hours ago, Herfy said:

So it is exactly as we suspected, but now it is a 4 month delay before the first boat is in the water.  And he did say they hull design was rushed in order to make the original March deadline.  He said the design was too conservative and that they will be making changes in the second boat.  So he confirms that if the original deadline was August that the hull would be different on the first boat!

The first boat is nothing but a trial horse. In essence, the first boat is there to ensure the concept works and provides a platform from which to design the second. As we saw with AC72's, the second boats of ETNZ and Oracle were vastly different, and the performance improvement from boat 1 to boat 2 was obvious.

13 hours ago, Herfy said:

So it is exactly as we suspected,

I guess the point is no one seems to be pissed off about it other than SA folk. There are plenty of avenues to address some compensation, none seem to have been explored here.