2 minutes ago, HFC Hunter said:

What’s the loop, upper right of the foil socket?

"Oh Shit" handle for when the tender is alongside.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

18 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Agreed and fancy launches cost big bucks so why not save the money. Flying under the radar this boat could be the real deal? It's been a long time since the Yanks have designed the fastest boat but whose to say they haven't done it here? If it was betting odds against New Zealand then it would be 5-1 ATM. Could New Zealand have over thought the boat? Just asking? Probably not as nowadays they run thousands of simulations but who knows ATM?

They over thought the hell out of the "Hula".

48 minutes ago, Loose Cannon said:

watching them trim on the main leech when they sail out of that puff is impressive.  Look how quick that tightens up

No kidding. And still leaving a LOT of twist in the sail. 

Also looks like they have a bit of a wiggle as they are in the puff. makes me wonder how they will act generally in busty conditions. The AC50s would rear up and then nose dive (in some cases, spectacularly so), but they didn't really heel much to leeward during the puff. This lady looks to react quite differently. 

It's blowing about 15+ right now, btw.

9 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

They over thought the hell out of the "Hula".

Flipper’s belly looks aerodynamic enough but overall, Magic’s bow makes that boat looks by far the more streamlined.

2 hours ago, JonRowe said:

Love the little pinstripe (? not sure what else to call that!)   

Cove stripe. I just had the exact same thought. So hilariously yachty!  

• Like 1

Might not look great but hey it works out the box.... not sure the other one does;-) should they have to race tomorrow, my money is on the fat chick.. 

USA!

Will be putting a deposit down on one as soon as the topless 2020 gets officially announced. Mine will be ‘Black on Black!’ too :)

3AFA96A7-08A2-4C3A-85A8-92FB24665B64.jpeg.07961bae2b130d934c9c519c52c39df1.jpeg

• Like 1

So, let's try a few names, Flipper vs the Porsche ?

7 minutes ago, Herfy said:

One could say it looks more like a sports car...

am pic.jpg

Maybe, if you squint your eyes enough...lol

Flipper vs the Orca

mammal-orca-killer-whale-fish-450w-1338147626.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, JALhazmat said:

Also looks like something the Ed won’t be putting on the front page without some snide comment...

Of course not. They aren’t paying him. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

In those earlier shots, are those inflatable battens in AM’s jib? 

The rule says no in anything inflatable in the sail. The only semi permeable membrane allowed are the flotation bags to prevent the dreaded turtle in a capsize situation. 

RTFB (friggen)

42 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

USA!

Will be putting a deposit down on one as soon as the topless 2020 gets officially announced. Mine will be ‘Black on Black!’ too :)

3AFA96A7-08A2-4C3A-85A8-92FB24665B64.jpeg.07961bae2b130d934c9c519c52c39df1.jpeg

I originally thought of a corvette, but couldn’t find the right picture!

4 hours ago, Brutal said:

Whether Kostecki wasn't making the right calls or wasn't communicating well with Jimmy, Oracle was starting to taste their own dicks. They kicked Kostecki off the boat and plugged in Ainslie. Either Ben and Jimmy got on better or he called a better race than Kostecki because the results dramatically improved after the switch.

I agree with all that but this: the multitude of factors suddenly brought forth on many fronts from the same team as to the winning sauce. Like really; beast mode, fucking with the slot, rigging,  the Ainslie factor. It beggars belief. No one ever said "we threw all this shit at the fridge and these three stuck". No, different reasons have been floated as "the fix". Anyway, terrible sorry to digress from what counts at this great time. But you started it...Poland....

1 hour ago, 2Newts said:

No kidding. And still leaving a LOT of twist in the sail. 

Also looks like they have a bit of a wiggle as they are in the puff. makes me wonder how they will act generally in busty conditions. The AC50s would rear up and then nose dive (in some cases, spectacularly so), but they didn't really heel much to leeward during the puff. This lady looks to react quite differently. 

It's blowing about 15+ right now, btw.

Generally busty conditions are quite enjoyable.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

watching them trim on the main leech when they sail out of that puff is impressive.  Look how quick that tightens up

Who would have thought the big passive section of the main would look so nice...lots of leach control as you say. Looks like the etnz wing from 35.

2 hours ago, JustinL42 said:

Generally busty conditions are quite enjoyable.

hahahahaha nice typo. Yay me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Fascinating to see how close from the water she is. With some waves and at the same high a rounded or V hull would be better.

Yeah, elevation is right at the red line foil arm marking. At this rate I am going to stop calling them Amway...

7 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

It also looks like the boat is heeling to windward at some points.  It may these guys first rodeo in sometime, but it looks like they know how to ride the bull!

21 minutes ago, Teaky said:

Who knows where in the harbor this video was taken?  We could get an estimate of speed by seeing how fast it goes by landmarks on the shore behind.  The video seems to be in a boat that is going close enough in speed so that the speed of the background would give a close estimate of the boat speed.  Is that Prudence Island?

25 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Amazingly fast and stable. Now they need to work on foiling tacks.

There are thousands of things for them to still work on.  I wonder just how fast they'll eventually get.

Bit of a pattern emerging for Deano...AC34 - first to foil an AC72, showed it to the world very early... AC35 First to (allegedly) nail the foiling tack, showed it to the world early on, AC36 First to foil an AC75, now its being showed to the world early again...he'll be hoping the cycle doesn't repeat itself.

• Like 1

The foils look further aft compared to the mast position than on the TNZ boat.  AM looks a little unbalanced but cant really tell from that vid.

Just now, trt131 said:

The foils look further aft compared to the mast position than on the TNZ boat.  AM looks a little unbalanced but cant really tell from that vid.

I think the consensus from the rules was that the masts are within a very short distance of each other.

2 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Wow, so good to see some footage of a big 75 doin its thing. Anyone doubt the concept now?

I still want to see how they look accelerating.

But certainly AM seems to be working :)

5 hours ago, Herfy said:

I originally thought of a corvette, but couldn’t find the right picture!

Ha, ha. Fast in a straight line. Yeah. We already know that. ;-)

It looks like a completely different boat in each of the photos.  Hopefully the black is just for B1 and they'll roll out the red, white and blue paint job for the race boat.  Same could be said for INEOS I guess ...

2 minutes ago, Flippin Out said:

Not when they came off the foils in the tack, very sticky. Early days yet, I'm sure they'll sort that quick smart.

It looks like it was an intentional stop so they may have de-powered the boat and set her down quickly.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Flippin Out said:

Not when they came off the foils in the tack, very sticky. Early days yet, I'm sure they'll sort that quick smart.

Looks to me like they purposely came to a complete stop.

• Like 1

Latest video of AM blitzing across the bay - no cup holders needed - she was that rock steady. Seriously impressive. They're going to need G-suits for the turns.

• Like 1

^^^ They fluff the gybe at the end, but that could be because it looks pretty light, or their technique is not quite there yet.

Viewed from astern, AM's central ramp looks a fair bit narrower than Te Aihe's, and seems to taper down earlier as well. More room for the crew, but a bit less aero.

57 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

their technique is not quite there yet.

Thats pretty close for 2nd day :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Voiled said:

After the gybe the boat seems to be pulled down by the starboard foil lifting up action.

It drops down due to loss of lift as the foil goes vertical, there simply isn't enough lift from the one foil at that speed or enough apparent wind leveraging against it to support the boat.

Also once that fat bottom girl hits the water, she's well and truely stuck!

1 hour ago, Tropical Madness said:

Yeah what an average looking boat. At least it goes

"She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

1 hour ago, Boybland said:

It drops down due to loss of lift as the foil goes vertical, there simply isn't enough lift from the one foil at that speed or enough apparent wind leveraging against it to support the boat.

Also once that fat bottom girl hits the water, she's well and truely stuck!

Speed-wise it seems to be doing okayish coming out of the gybe, there is some foiling time before they start lifting and things seem rather stable, The hull starts dropping considerably during the lifting of the foil but before the wings are out of the water. It's hard to say how much impact it has but pulling wings that big out of the water must exert some counter force, pulling the boat down.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Latest video of AM blitzing across the bay - no cup holders needed - she was that rock steady. Seriously impressive. They're going to need G-suits for the turns.

G suits are bulky, f1 drivers don't wear them. Although to be honest, I doubt we'll see the same lateral g forces the ac50's were pulling for a while, but they will come. 

11 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

I doubt we'll see the same lateral g forces the ac50's were pulling for a while, but they will come. 

Three points of contact should pivot better than four, but yeah, it might be a while before we see them ripping through the turns. A much bigger head sail will be slower to get over, and the main lacking the stiff geometry of the wing.

They were pretty close from a foiling tack, my uneducated guess is that with a bit more wind or both foil a bit later in the water they will make it.

4 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

a bit more wind or both foil a bit later in the water they will make it.

The choreography with the main seemed a bit off to me. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Three points of contact should pivot better than four, but yeah, it might be a while before we see them ripping through the turns. A much bigger head sail will be slower to get over, and the main lacking the stiff geometry of the wing.

they'll get there eventually, mini frack turns pretty fast.

45 minutes ago, Voiled said:

Speed-wise it seems to be doing okayish coming out of the gybe, there is some foiling time before they start lifting and things seem rather stable, The hull starts dropping considerably during the lifting of the foil but before the wings are out of the water. It's hard to say how much impact it has but pulling wings that big out of the water must exert some counter force, pulling the boat down.

To my eye, speedwise they have slowed down significantly compared to previous straight line speed but are still going fast enough to foil on both foils, but not enough to foil on one, they look like they just need to speed build for a few more seconds before lifting, although it's also possible that on that particular point of sail there just isn't the apparent wind available to lift off on to one foil.

6 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

mini frack turns pretty fast.

Insanely fast in some of the footage released.

30 minutes ago, Xlot said:

FareVela publishes the usual pictures, PLUS a gallery of details I hadn’t seen yet - LR would be apoplectic if something similar came out on their boat. Don’t understand the spreaders, though

https://farevela.net/2019/09/14/american-magic-le-foto-dei-dettagli-dellac75-americano/

Paging @k2mav your services sir are required ^_^

2 hours ago, Tropical Madness said:

Yeah what an average looking boat. At least it goes

032C7153-5BCF-40C8-9EE7-C5FC7F3CE00D.jpeg

White sails Evan hi tech ones do look a bit 1960

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

FareVela publishes the usual pictures, PLUS a gallery of details I hadn’t seen yet - LR would be apoplectic if something similar came out on their boat. Don’t understand the spreaders, though

https://farevela.net/2019/09/14/american-magic-le-foto-dei-dettagli-dellac75-americano/

Foil details from farevela above, thanks Xlot. Tips seem to have wider chord than immediately inboard. Huge torpedo, rudder elevator aft. Very different than etnz. 

IMG_3753.jpg

IMG_3752.jpg

11 hours ago, Herfy said:

Who knows where in the harbor this video was taken?  We could get an estimate of speed by seeing how fast it goes by landmarks on the shore behind.  The video seems to be in a boat that is going close enough in speed so that the speed of the background would give a close estimate of the boat speed.  Is that Prudence Island?

Est 23m in 1.1 sec..37-38 KN?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Voiled said:

Does seem that way. How much is loss of lift vs actual counterforce...

3 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I already see a MASSIVE Difference between the Foils of the American Boat compared to the Kiwi Boat

yysw265713.jpgyysw265719.jpgyysw265135.jpg

AM Foils look like little propellers.

Well done Captain Obvious, have a medal for brilliant investigative work. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Well done Captain Obvious, have a medal for brilliant investigative work. 

I even see a MASSIVE Difference between port and starboard Foil on Te Aihe.

th.jpg.8a20e117d19181b49b7a1f0d9a56ac9d.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

fwiw

Interesting point about AM using flat bottom for ground effect lift. Seems ETNZ went for hydrodynamic hull, AM aero/ground effect

Hugely different foil solutions

Curious to see what happens in big chop, although that didn't seem to be an issue in the previous cup when flying

The NZ foils look like something any one of else would have made based upon the last couple of cups.  The AM foils come out of left field and are a very intentional leap in design.   

6 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

Interesting point about AM using flat bottom for ground effect lift. Seems ETNZ went for hydrodynamic hull, AM aero/ground effect

Hugely different foil solutions

Curious to see what happens in big chop, although that didn't seem to be an issue in the previous cup when flying

It is obvious that AM plans to foil 100%

17 minutes ago, Herfy said:

The NZ foils look like something any one of else would have made based upon the last couple of cups.  The AM foils come out of left field and are a very intentional leap in design.   

Interesting that the bulb carries a slight nose up attitude compared to the fins.

yysw265719.jpg

2 minutes ago, See Level said:

Interesting that the bulb carries a slight nose up attitude compared to the fins.

yysw265719.jpg

I’m just wondering if they’re actually testing to see if orange is faster than red!  :D

• Like 2

I’ve also got to give the early aero edge to NZ, but that’s only because they skipped that whole mast and sail concept. 

• Like 6

^Pure brilliance, there Monkey. Per ush... [eyeroll]

26 minutes ago, Herfy said:

Herf - i agree. Airbus is obviously bringing a lot to the table.

11 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I’m just wondering if they’re actually testing to see if orange is faster than red!  :D

On that subject.. ‘Unmatched Shoes’

5 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Yes. 

Thanks.

In that case it could be a while before we see any team choose 1 of the six-allowable (up to five designs) foils to replicate, as maybe the 6th one built.