22 hours ago, Varan said:

What is this?

20191013_172313.jpg.bc581442cfaf2e808611fd84db958a28.jpg

It's like a windscreen washer on your car - to wash away the tears of their helmsman when the going gets tough...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Herfy said:

As for the spray, this is during a turn where the starboard foil is only partially in the water (you can see it in the picture).  It may not be a good comparison.

That's also my meaning;  not a valid point of comparison at all, maybe side by side in HD video, and for that we have to wait, but certainly not in isolated single stills.....

1 hour ago, Boink said:

That's also my meaning;  not a valid point of comparison at all, maybe side by side in HD video, and for that we have to wait, but certainly not in isolated single stills.....

exactly, the videos with both boats show more spray as they hit waves.

3 hours ago, Boybland said:

It's American, bound to be a weapon  of some kind.

yep, that's how we will win!

2 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

Has the US won a war since WWII?

technically, we haven't been in one since 1945. The last country we declared war on was Romania in1942

4 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

technically, we haven't been in one since 1945. The last country we declared war on was Romania in1942

Hasn't Korea been in a state of 'cease fire' since 1953?

Was Romania worth the trouble? or was the deal with the Russkies "we'll have half of Berlin and you can have Romania"?

8 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Um. I would suggest that the USA has been in a constant state of war since 1941...declared and otherwise...You have to do something with that military industrial complex I guess... <_<

11 minutes ago, uflux said:

Um. I would suggest that the USA has been in a constant state of war since 1941...declared and otherwise...You have to do something with that military industrial complex I guess... <_<

Military conflicts, not wars.  Language matters.  At least I used to think that.  

20 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

Hasn't Korea been in a state of 'cease fire' since 1953?

Was Romania worth the trouble? or was the deal with the Russkies "we'll have half of Berlin and you can have Romania"?

we never went to war with either korea.  we just advised.  :ph34r:

Just now, MR.CLEAN said:

Military conflicts, not wars.  Language matters.  At least I used to think that.  

Not if you are being bombed <_<

21 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

Was Romania worth the trouble? 

My Uncle Milton thought so.  He found his beautiful wife there during the cleanup, plenty to choose from.   Apparently Stalin had ground down pretty much every Romanian male older than 13 into chopped meat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, uflux said:

Not if you are being bombed <_<

true dat. 

Imagine if the NK and NV folks figured out all the way back then how to fly airplanes into buildings or make IEDs in busy US venues.

4 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

we never went to war with either korea.  we just advised.  :ph34r:

Almost 40,000 US “advisers” died in Korea. Do you think that they thought it might be a war???

Cheerful in here today. Are NYYC still in the AC36 BTW?

2 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

true dat. 

Imagine if the NK and NV folks figured out all the way back then how to fly airplanes into buildings or make IEDs in busy US venues.

Would you blame them???

5 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Imagine if the NK and NV folks figured out all the way back then how to fly airplanes into buildings

This thread needs more talk about A-Cup folks figuring out how to fly monohulls.

So much silence out of AM - we need better spies!

1 hour ago, Herfy said:

exactly, the videos with both boats show more spray as they hit waves.

No, not what I meant.

When they are alongside each other, occupying the same bit of water, drag racing each other, i.e Calgari - then we can call it. 

Not before......

Everything up til that time is complete psuedo-science; some well intentioned, other stuff mis-directed or  inflammatory, but conjecture all the same.

1 hour ago, uflux said:

Almost 40,000 US “advisers” died in Korea. Do you think that they thought it might be a war???

grandpa called it a war, though he never saw combat.  he lived in antigua and ran a fueling depot for warships.  my favorite wartime pic was him next to a 9' swordfish hanging from the scale.

I got my love for the sea from him

back to the AC

• Like 2

Dad ran the gantlet of U-boats from NYC to Europe and back. Over and over. Don't puke at Sea thanks Dad!  

• Like 2

On 10/14/2019 at 1:26 PM, Varan said:

What is this?

Air filter, goes to the supercharger, bolted to the  LT-5 V8.

57 minutes ago, mogs said:

Air filter, goes to the supercharger, bolted to the  LT-5 V8.

Donut dispenser??

Also, current container knitting circle gossip is that actual sailing time has stalled pretty hard and all is not so well in the Magic camp. Peel back the layers of exaggeration and general pessimism and we can maybe assume they're experiencing some teething problems and shore team are having to put in a lot of hours to try and get back on track...  

Kinda interesting how when TNZ took a couple of outings & non-sailing weather days to get sailing all was doom and gloom but there's scarce visual evidence or even reported sightings of AM sailing and none of LR or Basher but there's none of the same doom and gloom <_<

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hoom said:

Kinda interesting how when TNZ took a couple of outings & non-sailing weather days to get sailing all was doom and gloom but there's scarce visual evidence or even reported sightings of AM sailing and none of LR or Basher but there's none of the same doom and gloom <_<

ETNZ do get put under a pretty fine microscope around here and I think that's for a number of reasons that similarly aren't true for Magic;

- defenders and longest established team (at least from an English speaking country)

-  the kiwis are typically more die-hard and loyal fans compared to other nations. They're also a vocal bunch and are happy to argue with anyone, including themselves, about every little happening. This keeps conversation flowing in the ETNZ thread..

Magic seem to lack a core group of supporters (at least on here) to stoke the conversation and the lack of spy shots hasn't helped. I'd love to see more details as I think their design team and Airbus input has the potential to come up with some very interesting appendage and control solutions...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NZK said:

Magic seem to lack a core group of supporters (at least on here) to stoke the conversation and the lack of spy shots hasn't helped.

Not a lot of fucks given about billionaire water hobbies. Not unless they've got a naked woman backpack.  

23 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Not a lot of fucks given about billionaire water hobbies. Not unless they've got a naked woman backpack.  

I'm surprised there aren't more fucks being given in the Newport scene, plenty of fuckers up there with a strong Bar Karate game that I thought might be more vocal. Guess they're too busy dipping their dicks in each others beers in the IYAC...

The interesting thing with the Magic challenge is that it's a group of billionaire 'men of industry' who are doing this for nothing other than their own shits and giggles - which is pretty much exactly the original 'spirit' of the AC but now seems to be considered as a negative....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NZK said:

The interesting thing with the Magic challenge is that it's a group of billionaire 'men of industry' who are doing this for nothing other than their own shits and giggles - which is pretty much exactly the original 'spirit' of the AC but now seems to be considered as a negative....

Coupla things have changed since 1851

6 hours ago, NZK said:

Donut dispenser??

Also, current container knitting circle gossip is that actual sailing time has stalled pretty hard and all is not so well in the Magic camp. Peel back the layers of exaggeration and general pessimism and we can maybe assume they're experiencing some teething problems and shore team are having to put in a lot of hours to try and get back on track...  

?breakage after forgetting tow testing?

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Coupla things have changed since 1851

For sure and it's a dark hole to look into when you consider how these guys made their money and the cost to others. 

On the flip-side it's these same people that fund the AC, grand-prix and superyacht campaigns which are responsible for the majority of materials, construction and design development and trickle-down which we all benefit from or are employed in. Another chasm of moral turpitude...

1 hour ago, wkd928 said:

?breakage after forgetting tow testing?

Maybe the donut dispenser misfired and they got a regular glazed stuck in the flight controls..?

3 hours ago, NZK said:

ETNZ do get put under a pretty fine microscope around here and I think that's for a number of reasons that similarly aren't true for Magic;

- defenders and longest established team (at least from an English speaking country)

-  the kiwis are typically more die-hard and loyal fans compared to other nations. They're also a vocal bunch and are happy to argue with anyone, including themselves, about every little happening. This keeps conversation flowing in the ETNZ thread..

Magic seem to lack a core group of supporters (at least on here) to stoke the conversation and the lack of spy shots hasn't helped. I'd love to see more details as I think their design team and Airbus input has the potential to come up with some very interesting appendage and control solutions...

I do remember an article recently (sorry can’t remember exactly where) that spoke to airbus about the AM project. It seemed from the article that airbuses contribution was access to their computer power to run simulations rather than direct design input.. 

23 minutes ago, uflux said:

I do remember an article recently (sorry can’t remember exactly where) that spoke to airbus about the AM project. It seemed from the article that airbuses contribution was access to their computer power to run simulations rather than direct design input.. 

They have at least 4 Airbus Engineering employees on their team. So I’m certain the cooperation goes beyond access to computing power.

https://americanmagic.americascup.com/en/team

18 hours ago, uflux said:

According to the Constitution, only Congress has the authority to declare war. As CLEAN said, the last time that happened was in 1942 against Romania. 

There have been numerous military conflicts involving the US since, but by law, we were not at war. The soldiers involved and the public at home may have thought Korea (Vietnam, Kuwait, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Libya and other military actions as well) was a war, but because there was no formal declaration of war by Congress, we weren't...

On 10/13/2019 at 8:26 PM, Varan said:

What is this?

Ill-placed ventilation outlet for the shitter...

17 minutes ago, Brutal said:

According to the Constitution, only Congress has the authority to declare war. As CLEAN said, the last time that happened was in 1942 against Romania. 

There have been numerous military conflicts involving the US since, but by law, we were not at war. The soldiers involved and the public at home may have thought Korea (Vietnam, Kuwait, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Libya and other military actions as well) was a war, but because there was no formal declaration of war by Congress, we weren't...

Whether or not the US Congress “deems” it a war or not is irrelevant. It is simply a way for the USA to perpetrate war crimes without the legal ramifications for doing so.
The death toll remains the same. Ask any of the 20,000 civilians killed in Laos from US cluster bombs. #stopwatchingfoxnews 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brutal said:

Believe it or not other countries and groups actually have the right to declare war as well, even more importantly it only takes one side to declare it a war, the guy your declaring war against doesn't actually have to agree to it for it to become a war... 

I'd like to see a member of Congress try going to the front line and tell the other guys they can't shoot because the US didn't agree that to the war! :lol:

The moment you have soldiers shooting at people and being shot at by people who believe they are at war with you, your at war, you can pretend all you like for the people back home, but it doesn't really change the reality of the situation.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Boybland said:

Believe it or not other countries and groups actually have the right to declare war as well, even more importantly it only takes one side to declare it a war, the guy your declaring war against doesn't actually have to agree to it for it to become a war... 

I'd like to see a member of Congress try going to the front line and tell the other guys they can't shoot because the US didn't agree that to the war! :lol:

The moment you have soldiers shooting at people and being shot at by people who believe they are at war with you, your at war, you can pretend all you like for the people back home, but it doesn't really change the reality of the situation.

In the US, you don't have to go to another country to get shot at. There's the odd few suburbs in some of the nations largest cities that provide such an experience. I'll never forget having to suspend a social softball game and hit the ground due to an interruption of automatic gunfire in Chicago...

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, uflux said:

Whether or not the US Congress “deems” it a war or not is irrelevant. It is simply a way for the USA to perpetrate war crimes without the legal ramifications for doing so.
The death toll remains the same. Ask any of the 20,000 civilians killed in Laos from US cluster bombs. #stopwatchingfoxnews 

Would all you idiots please take this argument somewhere else!?!  This is a fucking sailboat race!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Monkey said:

Would all you idiots please take this argument somewhere else!?!  This is a fucking sailboat race!

And we're supposed to take somebody who calls himself "Monkey" seriously? WTF? :lol:

• Downvote 1

I am with @Monkey If you need me to I will start another ACRugby like thread.

I find this military discussion worth having but not here please.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Monkey said:

The boat seems to be missing in action, so people are getting distracted.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Always speak truth to power!

...back to the racing

I'm still watching this and trying to work out why the boat control is so radical. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Agreed.

Strange. You seem to have a lot of answers for more minor trim issues when it comes to Team New Zealand, but not so much to offer here?

Just now, Ex-yachtie said:

Strange. You seem to have a lot of answers for more minor trim issues when it comes to Team New Zealand, but not so much to offer here?

Yep, I am speachless regarding how stable they are, and that began with the mule. I am not sure however that, considering their foil profile, they are the fastest.

2 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Yep, I am speachless regarding how stable they are, and that began with the mule. I am not sure however that, considering their foil profile, they are the fastest.

It's only a matter of time before the boat gets the Windex treatment...

6 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

It's only a matter of time before the boat gets the Windex treatment...

Dunno, Yanks will improve speed, Kiwis will improve stability, we have to see what Brits fare, I am not too sure about the Spaghettis.

1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Agreed, Airbus ?

Let's hope so and they aren't using Boeing 737 MAX controls..! :D

57 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Dunno, Yanks will improve speed, Kiwis will improve stability, we have to see what Brits fare, I am not too sure about the Spaghettis.

The Spag's are still trying to work out if their boat is for sailing or pretty pictures..........................

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

We must be watching different clips - mine featured a massive climb then dive into the sea at the start followed by some basic foiling for a few seconds that also included nose touch downs every so often...

Were you thinking 'Airbus' because it reminded you of AF447 similarly nose diving into the Atlantic? I can see the resemblance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

We must be watching different clips - mine featured a massive climb then dive into the sea at the start followed by some basic foiling for a few seconds that also included nose touch downs every so often...

Were you thinking 'Airbus' because it reminded you of AF447 similarly nose diving into the Atlantic? I can see the resemblance.

Not enough spray either.

8 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

I'm still watching this and trying to work out why the boat control is so radical. 

Easy, they're doing the same testing Te Aihe did under tow, the saw the kiwi's bouncing and wondered if they should test the same.

5 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Let's hope so and they aren't using Boeing 737 MAX controls..! :D

I’m wondering if the Kiwi’s went with software from the MAX. It would explain the nose down trim!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

It's easy to forget that these boats are 75 footers / 30 knot shit boxes

19 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

Was it coming out of a maneuver? 

On 10/15/2019 at 12:15 PM, NZK said:

Currently in the middle of the second noreaster in two weeks up here in RI. It's cold, windy, and I honestly can't blame anyone for not wanting to take their boat out for the sole benefit of an internet forum. Very little public investment in the team as well. The only thing that belongs to the American people on that boat is the flag on the sail. Maybe not as bad as Larry and his circus but still very disconnected from anyone outside of NYYC. Look at launch video. The only people there are NYYC members and team members.

• Like 1

There are very few collections of people that would make me want to root for a US team less.  I was catching someone up on what's going on with the AC (mostly consisted of showing pictures of the boats and saying "no,really, they're supposed to look like that") and was genuinely stumped when she asked who I was backing this time... It's not the shitbirds from AM for sure, and the UK team is gross with a hideous boat, for all that S&S exists I might as well say I'm pulling for Matthew Modine's team, the Italians have a really vicious looking boat I guess, but frankly if I had to pick my favorite it's New Zealand again, just like in the 2000s, at least until a DOG challenge appears someday. 

10 hours ago, josh_bartoszuk1 said:

Currently in the middle of the second noreaster in two weeks up here in RI. It's cold, windy, and I honestly can't blame anyone for not wanting to take their boat out for the sole benefit of an internet forum. Very little public investment in the team as well. The only thing that belongs to the American people on that boat is the flag on the sail. Maybe not as bad as Larry and his circus but still very disconnected from anyone outside of NYYC. Look at launch video. The only people there are NYYC members and team members.

Well there may have been a few guests. But all were rich and almost every one was quite white. It's no more broadly representative of "America" than Larry's OTAUS was. Just older money at NYYC.

Frackers seem more inclusive, believe it or not. 

10 hours ago, RMac said:

There are very few collections of people that would make me want to root for a US team less.  I was catching someone up on what's going on with the AC (mostly consisted of showing pictures of the boats and saying "no,really, they're supposed to look like that") and was genuinely stumped when she asked who I was backing this time... It's not the shitbirds from AM for sure, and the UK team is gross with a hideous boat, for all that S&S exists I might as well say I'm pulling for Matthew Modine's team, the Italians have a really vicious looking boat I guess, but frankly if I had to pick my favorite it's New Zealand again, just like in the 2000s, at least until a DOG challenge appears someday. 

DOG challenges result from long and expensive legal challenges..... and the apetite for that shit is currently supressed (thankfully). The current AC cycle has more in common with the Lipton/Sopwith/Vanderbilt/Morgan era than you might think..... Bleeding edge technology, dick waving contests amongst a very few individuals who can afford to breathe in the rarified and expensive air that this competition exists within. It will never be mass market sport for regular consumption, and the quicker that marketeers realise that and play to its strengths the quicker we can get back to appreciating this contest for what it does represent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boink said:

DOG challenges result from long and expensive legal challenges..... and the apetite for that shit is currently supressed (thankfully). The current AC cycle has more in common with the Lipton/Sopwith/Vanderbilt/Morgan era than you might think..... Bleeding edge technology, dick waving contests amongst a very few individuals who can afford to breathe in the rarified and expensive air that this competition exists within. It will never be mass market sport for regular consumption, and the quicker that marketeers realise that and play to its strengths the quicker we can get back to appreciating this contest for what it does represent.

There will never be another DoG match in our lifetime, with the pocket Challenger practice now SOP. Any Defender who gets caught out in a DoG Challenge deserves to lose for not learning from history.

2 hours ago, Indio said:

There will never be another DoG match in our lifetime, with the pocket Challenger practice now SOP. Any Defender who gets caught out in a DoG Challenge deserves to lose for not learning from history.

There are still scenarios that could lead to a DOG challenge.

Once someone has become COR they not actually under any obligation to play nice, you can't take it away from them once you have accepted and some of these billionaire owners can be, shall we say sensitive... Already a few rumblings from Luna Rossa, not going to go anywhere I think, but you get the idea.

AM seems to have gone radio silent.  Any word as to whether she’s been out lately or are the stealth coatings working really working well.

6 hours ago, classfve said:

AM seems to have gone radio silent.  Any word as to whether she’s been out lately or are the stealth coatings working really working well.

Sustained 30kt winds for past 2 weeks. Haven't been around thier base for a while but I would assume they're probably not sailing. 

The delay in the arms was Not a bad result for Southern Hemisphere or Italian based teams Shame the Italians have not got there act together

6 hours ago, hairyharford said:

The delay in the arms was Not a bad result for Southern Hemisphere or Italian based teams Shame the Italians have not got there act together

Really, the Italians look pretty sharp to me, mind you they all look great. Fantastic to see innovation. All have different paths.

On 10/15/2019 at 3:59 PM, uflux said:

I think NYYC has been taking the most methodical approach to this. They may seem like they are behind in areas but I think that they are step by step learning how to sail these boats. If there is a measurable gain from a deck sweeping main and other detail they will test it after they perfect the basics. Like sailing the boat. Step by step.

2 hours ago, I14RACER said:
On 10/16/2019 at 8:59 AM, uflux said:

I think NYYC has been taking the most methodical approach to this. They may seem like they are behind in areas but I think that they are step by step learning how to sail these boats. If there is a measurable gain from a deck sweeping main and other detail they will test it after they perfect the basics. Like sailing the boat. Step by step.

Not sure why that quote is attributed to me. That is not something I said...:blink:

7 hours ago, uflux said:

Not sure why that quote is attributed to me. That is not something I said...:blink:

Not sure why either. It wouldn’t let me make a post without a quote. Sorry about that!

On 10/17/2019 at 6:44 AM, josh_bartoszuk1 said:

You are not implying that Americans don't feel like this, are you?

“To get 82 days on the water [with Mule], and 15 on Defiant is invaluable,” said Rob Ouellette, COO of American Magic.
  • Like 1

So they’re going to finish up in Newport this week and then moving to Pensacola. I wonder if they’ve been packing up the base and that’s why they haven’t been on the water much recently. I’ll be in Pensacola 10-31 & 11-1, but I think that’s way to soon for them to be sailing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

The “15 days on Defiant” might well exceed what ETNZ has achieved so far with Flipper.

Who's counting??

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 1:19 AM, popo said:

Does AM team shoot anybody with a camera 2 miles around their boat ?

I'm really surprised by how few we see this boat.

The weather has taken a distinct turn for the worse around here. Cold and raw more often than not. Most of the boats on the water are hardcore fishing types. The snow has already started falling in the mountains (about 225 miles from Newport).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2Newts said:

The weather has taken a distinct turn for the worse around here. Cold and raw more often than not. Most of the boats on the water are hardcore fishing types. The snow has already started falling in the mountains (about 225 miles from Newport).

Oh thanks.

Is that normal conditions for that part of year there ?

Do they plan to move to a location where they can put some serious sailing time ?

1 hour ago, popo said:

Oh thanks.

Is that normal conditions for that part of year there ?

Do they plan to move to a location where they can put some serious sailing time ?

They are moving to Florida soon. In the next couple of weeks I believe. 

And yes, the conditions are more or less normal. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Black Magic

???? Onya Tom.  As I heard on Mr Robot last night - "details, the devils in that shit".

5 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I actually think that front looks awesome and for appearances sake just drop that whole prodded attachment and just fly a zero from the bow.

• Like 2

Towing a 5 meter wide boat overland for 1,400 miles can't be a fun experience...

On 10/21/2019 at 10:18 AM, Indio said:

Who's counting??

Just hand the cup over looks like they won....

On 10/19/2019 at 9:08 AM, McGyver said:

You are not implying that Americans don't feel like this, are you?

watch the double negatives.