9 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Some sort of curing lamp?

Or the Terminator's optical sensors

It’s a hand held 3D scanner...no seriously it is.  It allows 3D modelling to be done with a physical object.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, uflux said:

It’s a hand held 3D scanner...no seriously it is.  It allows 3D modelling to be done with a physical object.

Booooo!

I was hoping it was a torch for the rectal exam they’re giving that boat. 

3 hours ago, uflux said:

It’s a hand held 3D scanner...

Because evidently they don't know what shape their boat is.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mogs said:

Because evidently they don't know what shape their boat is.

Possibly true if they are checking for deformations

3D scan, the black and white dots are targets, the 3M product is probably because the hull surface doesn't scan well (gloss). Note the overlap in layers, thus uneven thickness. Gives you an idea of the tolerances they are looking for/how much is to be soaked up by adhesive. 

I'm guessing for a fairing..

Looks like they have already used the 3D scanning method to fabricate a fairing for the joint of the bowsprit to the hull. This is still boat number one and I don’t think this is something they missed. I think they are being methodical with changes slowly incorporating them to validate and witness the speed gains/losses.

That’s why they don’t have a deck sweeping main yet. I guarantee that them and the UK already had plans in mind and we’re waiting to see what everyone else did and how much gain/loss they achieve when they incorporate their versions.

50 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

New pic, and mod on the bow ?

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Nice view of the foil and flap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

New pic, and mod on the bow ?

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Shucks... nosejob doesn't make her look any prettier does it

Yes, but I wonder what mod and why they made it. I think they added more volume on the top but why, aero ? gib aero ? safety ? inside volume ? balance of the boat ?

3 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Should have made it lipstick red.

11 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Nice view of the foil and flap.

Very thin flap going by the White stripe. Much less than 50% allowed

2 hours ago, DHFiend said:

I think only the last bit of the flap is painted but i could be wrong.

Capture1.thumb.PNG.75e24046e248ac8ddf0f2377e59a694c.PNG

I do see discoloration up further to near half way, maybe morphing surface?

22 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Bandages weren’t on for that long so must not of been a too complicated procedure.

Lips done at the same time.

B25BF052-0C56-4EA6-8141-6716F197E186.png.1aa6edaa7aa41d1d68a7d5eab8691666.png

“Shit the kiwis are actually using their kite.  We’d better make our pole stronger and give it a try.  Didn’t think anyone would bother.”

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Bandages weren’t on for that long so must not of been a too complicated procedure.

Lips done at the same time.

B25BF052-0C56-4EA6-8141-6716F197E186.png.1aa6edaa7aa41d1d68a7d5eab8691666.png

Should have gone for liposuction on that muffin top, at the same time. ;-)

• Like 1

Speaking about the US team, this is a photo of Carquinez bridge in SF Bay today, not too far from where watched the AC. Ouffff.....

.png

21 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Speaking about the US team, this is a photo of Carquinez bridge in SF Bay today, not too far from where watched the AC. Ouffff.....

.png

Unbelievable hell going on, firestorms destroying some of the most beautiful areas on earth :( 

21 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Unbelievable hell going on, firestorms destroying some of the most beautiful areas on earth :( 

I have friends living there, they tell it's dark outside with very strong winds.

I heard reports of 160 km gusts, I can't believe how fast the fire can go with those winds.

13 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I have friends living there, they tell it's dark outside with very strong winds.

I heard reports of 160 km gusts, I can't believe how fast the fire can go with those winds.

I have friends with a stunning place just a little north of Sonoma, have already offered to accommodate them and their beloved dogs for as long as they want if the damn thing forces them out and torches that region and their property. It’s getting close, they may not wait for the evacuation orders. They, like hundreds of thousands of others, are already without power - can you imagine? 

Shocking, hope the coastal hiway 101 stays open long enough to be able to reach an airport.

• Like 1

28531BA8-ACDD-4EBC-AA87-BF37B76AC419.jpeg.331666a1beea840f4efc38043886e865.jpeg

This went past today

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, dacapo said:

This went past today

Those concrete blocks, is that TH second from the left?

30 minutes ago, dacapo said:

This went past today

Was it a full hull or just a piece (bow) of it?

Regards,

D.

whole boat  looks like the Mule? heading Westboound over the Hudson River towards the NYS Thruway...

Never mind I got confused between Magic and S&S.

That's why I was asking if it was the bow (or whatever they built to this point).

Carry on, I'm stupid.

D.

On 10/24/2019 at 5:58 PM, Tornado-Cat said:

Yes, but I wonder what mod and why they made it. I think they added more volume on the top but why, aero ? gib aero ? safety ? inside volume ? balance of the boat ?

It seems bowsprit is now longer and upper part mod could be reinforcement. 

But bowsprit looks definetely longer in new pics...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kenergy said:

Where are they basing themselves? 

Going to Pensacola for winter.

• Like 1

Their Winter base is right about where the blue cable laying ship is. You can get a pretty good look from the little circular drive around the end of the touristy dock just opposite but no access to the commercial wharf. I tried to get in when the Mule arrived last year and was told to not even think about it with holding a TWIC card just for starters and even if I could pass that hurdle I would have to 'know somebody' to get to the AM compound. Thinking of buying a drone and hanging out in the parking lot just opposite but there are so many Navy airbases nearby that it would probably be in a 'no fly' zone. I guess you could stake out further out in the bay with a mothership and chase them around with a drone but they probably have jamming measures that they have borrowed from the Navy. I would love to get a shot of the AC boat with the Blue Angels doing a flyby. Probably have better results shooting from an ultralight due to drone regs.

Document?documentID=12261

• Like 3

With the AirMap app, flying a drone may not be as difficult as you might thinks. Most of the area (other than the Air Force base and the national park) appears to be class C. 

File an easy report through the app, receive approval, then fly. On the other hand, if AM is very far out in the bay, and you are not in a boat, you’re out of luck due to line of sight restrictions.

6C5CF7B4-9266-4DCB-A58C-F60B088427A0.png

here is Google Earth of that spotfrom last January. I see 3 support boats and that white temporary structure looks like their building.

AM south base.JPG

11 minutes ago, Mark Set said:

here is Google Earth of that spotfrom last January. I see 3 support boats and that white temporary structure looks like their building.

AM south base.JPG

Yep that is their compound from last years configuration. I'll take a look over there to see if they have any changes.

I offered them my dock (just out of frame to the left) just a few miles west so they could sail in the nicer waters of the Gulf but seems they weren't interested...

97b99639-3c5f-41d3-bef9-08f5e2a9cc52-original.jpeg

The big bow to the left is a ship that Bezos bought to convert to the recovery ship for his moon rocket or whatever he has up his sleeve. I'm sure that the security measures he has installed can only help AM to keep their activities far from the public eye.

Here is the Big fucker! The ship, not the pelican.

Related image

Earlier thread

On 10/29/2019 at 6:03 PM, Rasputin22 said:

I would love to get a shot of the AC boat with the Blue Angels doing a flyby. 

The mule's been there and done that. But yeah I agree, Orca needs to do the same. 60347797_429284850961646_5921716026562576384_o.thumb.jpg.ea75d4379331711632622ba8e745d793.jpg

Heard a rumour that Orca is getting some surgery before she re-appears down South. Not sure if it's scalpels or chainsaws, guess we'll have to wait and see

• Like 1

pregnant !!!

i hope not

i can already hear the gut wrenching cries of despair and betrayal that would ensue from such an act

the hair pulling .. the impromptu vomiting .. and worst of all .. the pretending they have no idea where it came from

• Like 2

Have they made it to Pensacola yet?  

Looking to get out of this cold weather early and may swing by on my way to California this winter. It would only be a couple of thousand miles out of my way....

Don't know if it's the sailors or the boat, but Defiant sure looks a lot more stable and fast than Te AiHelloFaceplant.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Don't know if it's the sailors or the boat, but Defiant sure looks a lot more stable and fast than Te AiHelloFaceplant.

That's a lot to take out of a still image :lol:

11 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Don't know 

This is where you should've stopped.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Don't know if it's the sailors or the boat or confirmation bias or just plain outright trolling, but Defiant sure looks a lot more stable and fast than Te AiHelloFaceplant.

Fixed it for you.

• Like 3

I've seen the videos as well. I stand by what I said. It's more than clear to anyone watching.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I've seen the videos as well. I stand by what I said. It's more than clear to anyone watching.

sooo

you have seen videos that are mostly posted by the teams themselves

they all show that the flopper is better than etnz .. which has mostly private videos being aired

and

you come to the scientific conclusion that etnz is rubbish and "flopper is just the bestest in the whole world ever "

all i can say is .. your never getting a job in any laboratory i am in

The ETNZ boat is clearly showing itself to be the least "controlled" AC75 out there. It's only a bit better than the test boats were on their worst days. There may be all kinds of reasons for that - and you can draw whatever conclusions from those reasons you need to in order to maintain your fantasy.

But there's plenty of evidence right in front of your very wet faces. You better get better - fast.

• Like 1

again

hypothesis based on team videos v private videos

your conclusions are subject  to bias and hence invalid

i know i need to but im not sure i can explain it more simply than that

• Like 2

I don't know what kind of lab you work in, but your scientific method is seriously lacking....

20 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

hypothesis based on team videos v private videos

There are both types of videos (and photos) out there for these boats. And each type of video shows the boats sailing and/or failing to do so. In this clear visual evidence, the ETNZ boat is having far more trouble than what we've seen in these other videos and images over the past few months (granted, mostly of Defiant since they were first out of the beaker).

So, your lame attempt at drawing a typological distinction here simply based on "where the videos come from" is ridiculous...unless of course you can provide actual proof of that one set of media is empirically, and intentionally flawed over the other. I'll await you're fine work on that.

In the mean time...

20 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

your conclusions are subject  to bias and hence invalid

In light of the above, you should think about that statement for a moment. My own conclusions are based on the clear visual evidence we ALL have in front of us. It's only invalid to those who don't want to see it.

Das KiwiBoot is crashing - hard - A LOT. And it's apparently had all kinds of technical problems from the moment it first tried to raise a sail. Is it cursed?

so i was right

it wasnt simple enough for you

• Like 1

Apparently not enuff hot cat action to wordsalad till the flower is drained of its vitality.

But based on selectively released team video, Britannia is da bomb. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

please don't quote you know who

It was the best quote. An empty box

NYYC is my national team. So this is where I'll post things of interest regarding said team just as I did above. You guys might want to harden up a bit - and save your KiwiTearsTM for your own threads.

sa_kiwis-copy.png

3 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

NYYC is my national team. So this is where I'll post things of interest regarding said team just as I did above. You guys might want to harden up a bit - and save your KiwiTearsTM for your own threads.

sa_kiwis-copy.png

Tears? What tears? You're the only one crying about anything!

eight_col_063_801419908.jpg?1498510569

17 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Apparently not enuff hot cat action to wordsalad till the flower is drained of its vitality.

He really fancies his ability to write. "Typological distinction" -ffs.

America has produced some great writers, unfortunately Smack isn't one of them.

On 11/8/2019 at 6:26 PM, uflux said:

That's a lot to take out of a still image :lol:

Please don’t quote the village idiot. On behalf of America, we’re sorry for that fucking moron. He can’t even tie a boat to the dock properly, so he’s not exactly worth taking seriously on anything sailing related. 

Looks like they want to get more help building boat 2 and working on boat 1. Also, from this image it looks like they got the faring for the bowsprit in place.

22 minutes ago, I14RACER said:

Looks like they want to get more help building boat 2 and working on boat 1. Also, from this image it looks like they got the faring for the bowsprit in place.

From that angle at least this looks like a significantly different bow shape altogether... and a repaint of the deck?

from there,

New York Yacht Club American Magic, Challenger for the 36th America’s Cup, is seeking to expand its production team with additional boat builders and composites technicians. Joining American Magic provides opportunities to work alongside some of the top production and engineering talent in the marine, composites and aerospace industries. All applicants must be enthusiastic about a career in composites construction and keen to work in a team environment.

https://americanmagic.americascup.com/en/news/31_BUILDING-THE-FUTURE.html

3 hours ago, rh3000 said:

From that angle at least this looks like a significantly different bow shape altogether... and a repaint of the deck?

The mule. 

17 minutes ago, Monkey said:

The mule. 

Looks to big too be the Mule. Looks like they've done a remodel of the bow of their AC75.

24 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Looks to big too be the Mule. Looks like they've done a remodel of the bow of their AC75.

To conveniently look exactly like the bow of the mule?  
edit:  I will admit, the scale makes it look like the big bus. 

22 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Your explanation is? 

On 9/30/2019 at 1:27 AM, I14RACER said:

Photo posted by the American Magic team. The photo implies the bottom isn’t as round as it has appeared before. Almost like it’s got a V shape. Weird, may just be a optics issue.

652ADB27-1BAE-461D-9181-B8A6A45E7559.jpeg

Defiant isn't as blunt bowed as the front on pics suggest.

This pic also shows the front is not as much of a scow as first thought.

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

edit:  I will admit, the scale makes it look like the big bus. 

Yeah its definitely not the mule and certainly the shape is sharper now

uBHV45K.jpg

yysw265668.jpg

The boat launched on Sept. 14th, the photo was taken on Sept 29th.

It's the same bow, 

It's a reflection.

652ADB27-1BAE-461D-9181-B8A6A45E7559.thumb.jpeg.f7a8c2a889f8f2d72a60579606d4cc8c.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Monkey said:

The mule. 

With 4 guys on the coffee grinders?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rh3000 said:

I think the bow shape of Magic is really deceptive because of the uniform paint job and lack of chines/hard angles - I reckon that photo shows the original shape, just from a new angle. Who knows what it will look like when it re-appears in Pensacola....

22 minutes ago, NZK said:

I think the bow shape of Magic is really deceptive because of the uniform paint job and lack of chines/hard angles - I reckon that photo shows the original shape, just from a new angle. Who knows what it will look like when it re-appears in Pensacola....

I think all the teams have taken some care that their lines are deceptive with their PR shots, and paint designs. Cloaking isn't allowed, but any other means are.

11 minutes ago, barfy said:

I think all the teams have taken some care that their lines are deceptive with their PR shots, and paint designs. Cloaking isn't allowed, but any other means are.

Agreed and I think Te Ahie's graphics actually make it the easiest to detect changes in the hull shape....

3 hours ago, NZK said:

Agreed and I think Te Ahie's graphics actually make it the easiest to detect changes in the hull shape....

They probably designed it like that...^_^

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Monkey said:

The mule. 

Mule deck is white. That photo is of the Orca alright.